Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

If Watson is fit then he should play at the expense of Doolan. Gives us bowling breadth.

How anyone would have Lyon's position in doubt is beyond me?

Siddle is well in front of Bird for the third Test.

yep agree with that.

but top 4 is very average.and pup must have a sore back[again].

bird seems to have some good supporters in CA.they think hes the next big thing and sids may be on outer[i rate him though]

This tour the problems have been 3, 4 and Clarke have been out of sorts. He needs to make runs

Its amasing that we got to 0/120 on a dead track against 3 quality bowlers and no spinner and we collapsed like a house of cards.

If Siddle has something to worry about....its Pattinson not Bird.

Bird may well have his opportunity in the future but it wont be in South Africa.

But the real question is how fit is Harris?

Its interesting that after Johnson the stars of the Ashes whitewash (Clarke, Rogers, Harris and Haddin) have not been as prolific.Thats qualified by Rogers 2nd dig 100.

Edited by Rhino Richards

people have overestimated the poms.

they didnt want to be here and it showed.

the results and runs made were nice if your a supporter,but the result was far removed from our standing as a team.

the cracks in the top 6 were there for all to see.

if you take away the last ashes,we are still an average team.

the selectors still insist watson is a top 4 bat,hes not.

im not sure about warner[yes hes popular]most dropped player in history and still plays the reckless shots outside off.

rogers,doing ok and we need him until we uncover a real opener.

marsh.jury still out[im told hes a headcase]

doolan,needs time and tests.but our selectors can be over anxious at times.

Harris's injury issues have been well documented, I reckon this summer's heavy campaign has caught up with him.

Needs a spell.

the 2nd test would have been the prefect time for a rest for Harris. with Pattinson coming in to fire hard.

Harris could have finished off in the 3rd test, or gone for an Op'.

ah hindsight.

Harris should have had the Op' after the MCG test.

the 2nd test would have been the prefect time for a rest for Harris. with Pattinson coming in to fire hard.

Harris could have finished off in the 3rd test, or gone for an Op'.

ah hindsight.

Harris should have had the Op' after the MCG test.

Rotation policy hey?

That old chestnut!

I reckon they've got it right now in all seriousness ... play 'em until they don't come up but make sure there are ready made replacements. Bird and Pattinson should be rarin' to go if needed. Perhaps they could have taken 6 fast bowlers in all (to have one more option) but we should be able to put a good enough attack together for the decider.

It's looking like Watson will come in (his reverse swing might be needed if the pitch is an abrasive one) Doolan or Marsh will count themselves unlucky if either of them make room but by the sounds of it, they definitely want that option of a 5th bowler who can be more than just a part timer. Watto took 5-17 in the 1st innings of the corresponding Test match from just over 2 years ago ... scorecard

Let's hope we get a result ... 1-1 is an acceptable result for us but the Aussie way is to play to win. This upcoming Test should be a beauty.

people have overestimated the poms.

if you take away the last ashes,we are still an average team.

And the first test in Joh'berg.......

I reckon they've got it right now in all seriousness ... play 'em until they don't come up but make sure there are ready made replacements. Bird and Pattinson should be rarin' to go if needed.

It's looking like Watson will come in (his reverse swing might be needed if the pitch is an abrasive one) Doolan or Marsh will count themselves unlucky if either of them make room but by the sounds of it, they definitely want that option of a 5th bowler who can be more than just a part timer. Watto took 5-17 in the 1st innings of the corresponding Test match from just over 2 years ago ... scorecard

Let's hope we get a result ... 1-1 is an acceptable result for us but the Aussie way is to play to win. This upcoming Test should be a beauty.

Agree on the bowling plan, Watson can certainly dry up on one end for the other bowlers. His bowling was underestimated during the Ashes.

Looking forward to the third Test.

Rotation policy hey?

That old chestnut!

I reckon they've got it right now in all seriousness ... play 'em until they don't come up but make sure there are ready made replacements. Bird and Pattinson should be rarin' to go if needed. Perhaps they could have taken 6 fast bowlers in all (to have one more option) but we should be able to put a good enough attack together for the decider.

rotation policy, no.

but just that with back to back test series, with a key bowler to just be the icing on the cake in Sydney when he clearly needed an operation on his knee.

They tried to stretch their luck, & its hurt us this 2nd test.

We could also have used some more Venom on this dead track, so Pattinson should have been considered to replace Harris, who has been really struggling.

Watto has to come in to help resettle the early order, & to add some variation. but we lose another fine fieldsman in Doolan IMO.

Pattinson is a must.

It'd be nice to come away with a win, and hopefully it wouldn't give us a false sense of "the jobs done", we've made it syndrome.

but just that with back to back test series, with a key bowler to just be the icing on the cake in Sydney when he clearly needed an operation on his knee.

They tried to stretch their luck, & its hurt us this 2nd test.

We could also have used some more Venom on this dead track, so Pattinson should have been considered to replace Harris, who has been really struggling.

Watto has to come in to help resettle the early order, & to add some variation. but we lose another fine fieldsman in Doolan IMO.

Pattinson is a must.

It'd be nice to come away with a win, and hopefully it wouldn't give us a false sense of "the jobs done", we've made it syndrome.

Harris looked done in this last Test but before that he's looked fine. The policy has been that if a bowler is ready to go, they play him. Match conditions is far different to training form though.

The Cape Town wicket has suited seam bowling previously (Philander picked up 8 wickets the last time we played them there) so if Harris passes a fitness test, he'll probably still play. The pleasing thing is we should have 2 'ready to go' back-ups to come in if need be. Bird hits the seam nicely and Patto will be keen to impress.

The toss could be important and it should be noted that they won the toss and sent us in the last time we played them at Cape Town. They won the game by 8 wickets although the match only lasted 3 days.

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of track is prepared. The other thing that is interesting is our batting order. If, as is being speculated, Watson plays, do Clarke and Smith move up a notch so that Shane can bat at no.6? Or does Watson slot into the no.3 or no.4 spot depending on whoever out of Doolan or Marsh makes way? Or could Smith leapfrog Clarke and bat at no.4?

What is most probably true is that we'll need to be at our best to win as the South African's will be buoyant after their emphatic 2nd Test win. Dale Steyn looks like he's found his form and he might be the difference. For us, we probably need a big game from Johnno.

Harris looked done in this last Test but before that he's looked fine. The policy has been that if a bowler is ready to go, they play him. Match conditions is far different to training form though.

The Cape Town wicket has suited seam bowling previously (Philander picked up 8 wickets the last time we played them there) so if Harris passes a fitness test, he'll probably still play. The pleasing thing is we should have 2 'ready to go' back-ups to come in if need be. Bird hits the seam nicely and Patto will be keen to impress.

The toss could be important and it should be noted that they won the toss and sent us in the last time we played them at Cape Town. They won the game by 8 wickets although the match only lasted 3 days.

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of track is prepared. The other thing that is interesting is our batting order. If, as is being speculated, Watson plays, do Clarke and Smith move up a notch so that Shane can bat at no.6? Or does Watson slot into the no.3 or no.4 spot depending on whoever out of Doolan or Marsh makes way? Or could Smith leapfrog Clarke and bat at no.4?

What is most probably true is that we'll need to be at our best to win as the South African's will be buoyant after their emphatic 2nd Test win. Dale Steyn looks like he's found his form and he might be the difference. For us, we probably need a big game from Johnno.

batting order: I think they'll return it to to old order after this recent collapse at 3/4/5/7. even if for the short term. so Watto at 3.

my longer term aim would be to try to arrange Marsh to open, with Warner at 3. another at 4 maybe Smith or Doolan from this lot. I'd be looking towards the eventual retirement of Clark & Watto with my batting order thinking.

Rogers will eventually be replaced as well but it all needs to well stagger'd, with time in between shuffles.

On recent form Usman Khawaja may come into future plans for the top order.

couldnt understand why his confidence was shot by selectors,when they dropped him 3 times.

makes it hard for him to come back.

watsons bowling will once again cover some cracks.

your right again rino,we did win the first test.

Edited by jazza

batting order: I think they'll return it to to old order after this recent collapse at 3/4/5/7. even if for the short term. so Watto at 3.

my longer term aim would be to try to arrange Marsh to open, with Warner at 3. another at 4 maybe Smith or Doolan from this lot. I'd be looking towards the eventual retirement of Clark & Watto with my batting order thinking.

Rogers will eventually be replaced as well but it all needs to well stagger'd, with time in between shuffles.

With the benefit of hindsight and perhaps for those who have shown a bit of foresight, Watson should have, at some time in the last couple of years, been moved to the traditional all rounders spot of no.6 in the batting order. The issue is that when he hasn't played, (which is roughly half the time when counting his entire career) the major part of our batting line-up often has needed to be looked at, addressed or changed. It would have been a far easier exercise to just replace him with another all rounder (or a new batsman) in the same batting spot (no.6) if he'd batted there in last couple of years.

The latest news is that Watson* will come into the side and bat at no.6 (replacing Doolan or Marsh) This will mean that at least one other batsmen will need to move from their batting spot. In actuality, it's more than likely that up to 3 batsmen will be moved from their batting spots if Doolan is dropped. Marsh would probably move to no.3 with both Clarke & Smith moving up a spot - or Smith might be moved to no.4 thus leaving 'Pup' at no.5. However, Doolan was originally next in line before Marsh and Hughes so it might be Marsh who is the unlucky one to be dropped (Doolan was on standby for the 5th Ashes Test in Sydney)

A settled batting line-up would have been the preferred option going into this vital match and it's entirely possible that we'll have 4 batsmen batting in different spots (including Watto himself at no.6) despite only making one change to the top 6. Not ideal.

*Obviously, Watson doesn't get to pick where he wants to bat. He gets told where he is batting in the order (unless there's been a dramatic change in protocol)

Edited by Macca

With the benefit of hindsight and perhaps for those who have shown a bit of foresight, Watson should have always batted in the traditional all rounders spot of no.6. He might have been worth a try at the top of the order but it hasn't worked. The other issue is that when he doesn't play (which is roughly half the time) often the major part of our batting line-up needs to be looked at, addressed or changed. It would have been a far easier exercise to just replace him with another all rounder (or a new batsman) in the same batting spot (no.6) if he'd always batted there.

The latest news is that Watson* will come into the side and bat at no.6 (replacing Doolan or Marsh) This will mean that at least 1 other batsmen will need to move from their batting spot (it's more than likely 3 batsmen moving from their spots if Doolan is dropped. Marsh would probably move to no.3 with both Clarke & Smith moving up a spot - or Smith might be moved to no.4 thus leaving 'Pup' at no.5)

A settled batting line-up would have been the preferred option going into this vital match and it's entirely possible that we'll have 4 batsmen batting in different spots (including Watto himself at no.6) despite only making one change to the top 6. Not ideal.

*Obviously, Watson doesn't get to pick where he wants to bat. He gets told where he is batting unless there's been a dramatic change in protocol on how things work.

That's why I would put Watto in at 3, for this match.

Rome wasn't built in a day, they say Macca.

after this series is done is the time to be more creative. not during.

of no one gets to pick whether there is the side or not, or where they bat or bowl. not even clark.

That's why I would put Watto in at 3, for this match.

Rome wasn't built in a day, they say Macca.

after this series is done is the time to be more creative. not during.

of no one gets to pick whether there is the side or not, or where they bat or bowl. not even clark.

From all reports Watto is going to bat at no.6. Your way would mean the batting order would largely be kept intact and is possibly the more sensible solution (more particularly for this specific Test)

Batsmen tend to like to make a batting spot their own and being shunted about often doesn't help them or the team.

Got a feeling that Marsh will make way for Watson but I'm only speculating.

... Watson accepts all-round role

From the man himself ...

"I know where I am at and where I have been with my batting in Test cricket especially, I haven't been as consistent as I would have liked," Watson said. "I don't warrant a spot as a batsman at this point, but I do know I can hold my spot as an allrounder.

For the sake of stability only, bat Watson at 3 if Doolan is dropped or 4 if they choose to dispense wit Marsh.

Baffles me why Clarke doesn't take on the challenge of number 3 where most 'class' batsmen have for us in the past.

• Like 2

For the sake of stability only, bat Watson at 3 if Doolan is dropped or 4 if they choose to dispense wit Marsh.

Baffles me why Clarke doesn't take on the challenge of number 3 where most 'class' batsmen have for us in the past.

I don't think he likes batting against raw pace. imo, Clark is too heavily invested in his status; even moreso than the team. just sayin.

• Like 1

You still think he's a pretty boy?

Can't argue with that, bring back Katich.

I think your responding to me, lol.

I sense Clarke is getting better since Boof arrived, it must be tough for Clarke to relax imo, after he's had a difficult upbringing.

Lets hope under Boof, he can learn to relax & mature, within the guidance.

but IMO, Clarke will never feel able to let his hair down fully, & just be one of the boys. we'll do what we can.

You may be able to assist me dee-luded, of late when I reply to a post, the quote does not show in my response.

Also when I try to copy and paste, the option to paste is not highlighted when I right click.

Any advice or thoughts - thanks.

You may be able to assist me dee-luded, of late when I reply to a post, the quote does not show in my response.

Also when I try to copy and paste, the option to paste is not highlighted when I right click.

similar probs also.

cant do pics .copy and paste.

thats happened to me a couple of times but rectifies itself.

I'm not that tech savvy with software.

nasher will know.

maybe try doing a clean of your computer with 'C' Cleaner... the registry, & the general clean?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner - (free) cleaner

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler - (free) defrag