Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

They need to be good enough.

Cummins is.

Absolutely.

You may have missed my last question a week or so ago. What do you think of Matthew Wade's Test prospects ? I see he has been selected for the Australian A team. He has played some pivotal roles in the Victorian team with the bat for sometime now. Pretty good gloveman to boot.

I understand Paine isn't back and fit yet.

Agree Bob. Cummins looks one out of the bag and has lived up to the very strong comments made about him at more junior levels. On the other hand, Harris's phyiscal frailties and Johnson and Siddle's lack of consistent firepower does not augur well for them. i think we will see other young quick prospects get a go this summer like Hazlewood and Starc.

Whether its Paine or Wade, Haddin should be feeling the heat well and truly. Mind you if he were to play a pivotal role in the final day at the Wanderers then he gets a possible reprieve. Paine must be cursing his luck with the finger injury. He was close to a call up before the SA tour in my opinion. Haddin's efforts on tour have brought him closer to the cap But Mathew Wade has definitely timed his form beautifully. It would appear that keeping is the one area we appear reasonably stocked in.

Wade seems to be a quality player who could play for Australia. He's probably still behind Paine, though. His keeping seems to have improved a lot from the bits I've seen this year and he's certainly making runs.

I think Paine has him covered, but he's certainly not doing his prospects any harm. It's a good problem to have, especially with Haddin being towards the end of his career.

I also love Test Cricket. Great finish as expected. Well done Postman Pat.

But I cannot work out why this is only a 2 Test series.

Honestly Australia should be playing 3 to 5 Test Series against South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, WI and England.

It should reserve the 2 Test friendlies to countries like NZ, Bangladesh.

Are the people who continually criticise Hadden and Ponting the same ones who wanted Hussey gone at the beginning of last year?

It's a shame that people are so quick to turn on players who have performed so wonderfully for our country. Great to see these two blokes play an important role in our success this test.

I recognise Ponting is past his best but he still warrants a spot IMO and at his best was as good as there was going around. Very few of his runs came against the no name countries unlike a few other icons.

Great player, love him.

Great to see these two blokes play an important role in our success this test.

Agree and it's been a while between drinks for the two of them.

Whilst I have been critical of Haddin's apparent lack of concern for digging in - see top of this page - (ie. doesn't put a big price on his wicket - and the point still stands), he did exactly what was required for the team last night. His previous outings this series were..... .

Punter is a required player in terms of experience and even though he has been out of sorts with the bat (which is what I also stated above; not overly critical) his career is in his twilight. Whether or not he continues this summer in Australia will be ultimately up to the selectors. I think he'll play on this summer.

Regarding Hussey, as previously posted it was to his credit and great work ethic that he virtually led the side last summer during the Ashes with the bat. Prior to that it was one hell of a slump. Where many were critical, others were silent expecting him to turn it around. He also played an important role last night with his partnership with Haddin.

Agree with RR that Sth Africa v Australia should play more tests. I think Border was right that it should at very least deserve a best of 3 series, if not, best of 5 test series.

Are the people who continually criticise Hadden and Ponting the same ones who wanted Hussey gone at the beginning of last year?

It's a shame that people are so quick to turn on players who have performed so wonderfully for our country. Great to see these two blokes play an important role in our success this test.

I recognise Ponting is past his best but he still warrants a spot IMO and at his best was as good as there was going around. Very few of his runs came against the no name countries unlike a few other icons.

Great player, love him.

Is Haddin the best wicketkeeper in the country ATM?

Haven't been here in a while, so missed out on the chance to rant about 47 and then Ponting, Haddin and Johnson.

Amazing Test match that one. A very good line in Brydon Coverdale's article on Cricinfo today:

"In two years' time few people will recall, or care, who won the T20s and ODIs played in South Africa over the past six weeks. But the Tests, what with 47 all out, 23 wickets in a day, Australia's Wanderers chase,and the emergence of Pat Cummins and Vernon Philander, will be remembered. And fans will wonder how on earth it was only a two-Test series."

T20s should be removed from the International cricket landscape. They won't, of course, for financial reasons, but to me T20 is a club format. Countries should stick to playing Tests and ODIs.

Anyway, onto the cricket. Ponting's innings changes little. A half century it was, and a good one too, but the fact that we care that he made 50 says a lot about his form. I doubt he'll be dropped, and with the injuries to Marsh and Watson I don't think now is the right time, but that time is coming. We tour the West Indies after our home summer: that may be a good opportunity to blood someone.

Haddin must go. His innings was full of poor and rash strokes. Yes he made 50. No that's not enough. Wade is in form, is younger, and is far more responsible with his strokemaking. Plus he's better withe gloves. Paine is better than Wade but he's injured, so Wade it is, and now is the time. Use the NZ series as 'practice' for the Indian series.

Johnson's innings better not overshadow his total impotence with the ball. He should be dropped. A spot in the XI is not the place to be working on technique. He should go back to the nets and to WA and work on his bowling there, not in the middle of a Test match. There are too many promising youngsters being kept out at the moment that it's becoming impossible to keep him in the side.

Siddle is in a similar boat. He's a good bowler when part of a unit, and has shown he has what it takes, but he lacks weaponry and he didn't bowl well in Johannesburg. I'd rather drop Johnson and keep Siddle, but Siddle's spot is tenuous too.

Cummins is going to be a star, and with Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood and Cutting all up and coming bowlers, it's hard to mount an argument for playing Johnson or Siddle.

Should neither Watson nor Marsh be fit for Brisbane, we're going to need to find another batsman, and the reports all seem to suggest that Warner will be that batsman. Kinda freaks me out that David Warner is considered the next in line, but his numbers seem to suggest he's capable, so who knows.

Great win by the Aussies and hats off to Punter , Haddin , Johnson and Khawaja for some well played knocks . I've advocated change and still do despite the memorable win .

At some stage we will have to move on from our current line up though injuries will play a part in the short term .

Cummins and Uzzie prove somewhat that youth is the go and we need to stay on this path - albeit incrementally .

Reckon another young quick should be blooded against the Kiwi's . Cutting is the smoky for Brisbane though Pattinson , Starc and Hazelwood have strong claims . With maybe Watson and Marsh out injured it gives us a chance to blood a new batsman - Warner seems to be the next cab off the rank according to the selectors . Worth a punt IMO .

Paine and Wade are terrific prospects as Keepers but they may have to bide their time for now .

Fantastic win by the Team and if we were offered a series win against the Sri Lankans and a drawn series vs the South Africans I think many of us would have taken it .

Inverarity , Marsh , Bichel , Arthur and Clarke have a few very interesting meetings coming up !

Cummins and Uzzie prove somewhat that youth is the go and we need to stay on this path - albeit incrementally .

Agree regarding incrementally and I think the selectors will be mindful of that. They'll benefit from experience around them as well as playing against the best International Cricket has to offer. In that regard, it is a shame the Sth African Series only lasted two tests. Facing the likes of Steyn, Morkel and Philander or bowling to the likes of Kallis, De Villiers and Amla is ideal in pressure conditions for development.

I forgot to mention Khawaja. Another important innings and in a big Test Match like that, for both he and Cummins it is great experience. They say big matches like the Anzac Day game of a Finals game for a debutant is worthy of 5-10 games of experience, etc. Well this game may have proved to be just as much in Test Cricket experience.

Agree regarding incrementally and I think the selectors will be mindful of that. They'll benefit from experience around them as well as playing against the best International Cricket has to offer. In that regard, it is a shame the Sth African Series only lasted two tests. Facing the likes of Steyn, Morkel and Philander or bowling to the likes of Kallis, De Villiers and Amla is ideal in pressure conditions for development.

I forgot to mention Khawaja. Another important innings and in a big Test Match like that, for both he and Cummins it is great experience. They say big matches like the Anzac Day game of a Finals game for a debutant is worthy of 5-10 games of experience, etc. Well this game may have proved to be just as much in Test Cricket experience.

We never play enough Tests in a series against the South Africans which is a shame . And it isn't going to change in the foreseeable future . Though it looks like we might play them more frequently .

Obviously the fact that both our summer's clash is a major issue , but they should find a way to play 4 or 5 test series ( home and away ). The 2 big stumbling blocks are the T20 Champions league every September and the IPL in April / May every year .

Here's the link to the "Future tours" program .

http://icc-cricket.y...ch_zone/ftp.php

Interestingly , we host South Africa late next year for 3 Tests and we're in South Africa in early 2014 for another 3 Tests . The "Future tours" program is adjusted from time to time though .

Another major item is that we're in England for 5 Tests in 2013 and play them again a couple of months later for 5 Tests in the Summer of 2013/14 .

Edited by Nuggets

Rubbish, titan. Don't let your blind hatred of Haddin stop you from acknowledging the quality of his inning at that time.

I am not Haddin's number 1 fan, but he played a fabulous innings to help us win the match. He was facing some really top quality bowling and the ball was decking around. He was solid and patient when we needed it and Hussey was still in, and he counterattacked at exactly the right time after tea to give our inning momentum when we needed it.

It was a fantastic chase, not just because it was a 300+ run chase on the last day with the ball moving around, but because of the quality of the bowling. Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Tahir bowled very well, yet we were still able to chase the target down on a difficult pitch.

Ponting was excellent, but Khawaja's effort on day 4 was superb at that time. I'm not sure he's the best against spin, but he's a top talent with an excellent temperament. Johnson returned to the sensible batting that made him a dangerous lower order batsman in the first place, and was exceptional in providing support and also guiding us home after Haddin went.

Fantastic game - all 5 days. Great pitch that game everyone a chance: Philander decking it around, Tahir and Lyon getting wickets, Cummins exploiting the pace and bounce, yet also Amla scoring 100 and many half centuries through the game on each day of the test.

Rubbish, titan. Don't let your blind hatred of Haddin stop you from acknowledging the quality of his inning at that time.

I am not Haddin's number 1 fan, but he played a fabulous innings to help us win the match. He was facing some really top quality bowling and the ball was decking around. He was solid and patient when we needed it and Hussey was still in, and he counterattacked at exactly the right time after tea to give our inning momentum when we needed it.

It was a fantastic chase, not just because it was a 300+ run chase on the last day with the ball moving around, but because of the quality of the bowling. Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Tahir bowled very well, yet we were still able to chase the target down on a difficult pitch.

Ponting was excellent, but Khawaja's effort on day 4 was superb at that time. I'm not sure he's the best against spin, but he's a top talent with an excellent temperament. Johnson returned to the sensible batting that made him a dangerous lower order batsman in the first place, and was exceptional in providing support and also guiding us home after Haddin went.

Fantastic game - all 5 days. Great pitch that game everyone a chance: Philander decking it around, Tahir and Lyon getting wickets, Cummins exploiting the pace and bounce, yet also Amla scoring 100 and many half centuries through the game on each day of the test.

Agreed, it was a fantastic run chase and I suspect that many of today's observers of the game don't comprehend how hard it is to chase a score of 300+ on what was virtually the last day of a test, particularly away from home against a world class opposition bowling attack.

That said, Australia has a succession problem with NZ, India and the Windies coming up. We have a few aging players in Ponting, Hussey and Haddin who are going to have to be replaced in the next 18 months and much of the batting line up is unresolved. Something's gotta give.

What I'd give to play in a Test Match like that. It's what every young enthusiastic cricketer would dream of. Well, those who want to test themselves anyway. And I defy anyone to tell me Test Match cricket isn't the best form of the game, or the most challenging.

Agree with others have said regarding the difficulty of the chase. That I'd imagine would be up there with the best of them. Kudos should go to the curator too, of that wicket at Wanderer's. What a result for him.

Michael Clarke is growing into the job as captain which is pleasing to see. His innings in the first test was significant I think. If there was one thing I was critical of him, it was his inability to nut out a tough innings (almost Waugh/Border like) when the backs were against the wall. To do it in as many balls was brilliant. To do it as captain is telling and he quite rightly should be congratulated.