Nick Naitanui

Tex

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Forsyth is 35, and he hasn't properly competed since we last made a Premiership, don't think he'll fit the youth policy. :lol:

Natanui cleared Fiji's Beijing qualifying height for the Olympics last year of over 2 metres, at a SCHOOL athletics meet!! So he's the next best thing Eastie haha

Just to get things in perspective, clearing two metres wouldn't get you far at the Olympics either. The great Bulgarian high jumper Stefka Kostadinova holds the women's world record at 2.09m :lol: !

Just to get things in perspective, clearing two metres wouldn't get you far at the Olympics either. The great Bulgarian high jumper Stefka Kostadinova holds the women's world record at 2.09m :lol: !

Naitanui jumped higher than 2m. 2m is just the qualifying height....

Morton will be able to play anywhere. That includes CHF.

The kid is 192 cm, possibly still growing?

Wait til he puts on some kilos. Talk about a mix of Pavlich/Hird/Lyon.

Exciting.

I was gonna say Hird. The rangy type...

I try to think of the successful forwards in the game now though, instead of years ago.

I think Morton will DEFINITELY not be a FF. Feva is the best genuine FF going around, and I can't see Morton doing anything more than pinch hit deep in the forward line...

As for CHF you've got Pavlich, Brown, Franklin... Then after that Mooney, Reiwolt, Murphy... then WELL after that Lucas, Cloke and maybe Thompson... You look at our guys and we have Miller, who I love but no-one's afraid of, Bate, who's gonna be played EVERYWHERE except defence, Newton who could outmark anyone but is having mental issues... Then after that it's a line of semi-CHFs like Robbo, Sylvia, Dunn etc etc...

The first nine are the best at it at the minute, and all are very rangy, long-running types. Pavlich, Franklin, Mooney, Reiwolt, Murphy... they are the guys that have HUGE engines.

From about 2000 until 2004 Neitz should have played CHF, but needed to be closer as we had fewer options to actually score, and we had a good kicking team.

I think Morton could be looked at as a CHF ONLY if he shows both a propensity to be able to take the big hits (and get up and kick the goals) AND if he can show he's not injury prone. Both things require physical size. Expecting him to turn out like Murphy is a big ask...

But I reckon the main thing is that you don't dismiss him out of hand. If he has the inclination, desire and ambition... then by God give him a crack...

Just feed him a whole cow EVERY WEEK so that he gets big enough... Jeez he's skinny.

That goes for most of the players including the experiences ones.

Just in case anybody's interested NN absolutely dominated in the WA v NSW/ACT game at the Australian Championships today. Got virtually every hit out, most of them went to advantage and was good around the ground playing like a midfielder. Oh, and he's only 197cm tall and growing.

On the other hand, Daniel Rich was tightly tagged in the midfield and only had limited impact although his disposal was very good. He's also a strong bodied type which makes him similar in style to a few of our midfielders.

At this stage you would have to say that the prize for winning the wooden spoon will be a dynamic young ruckman who can leap tall building and has dreadlocks.

Well, Naitanui was B.O.G today and absolutley murdered his opponent in the ruck. And he certainly backed up everything i said about him earlier in this thread.

He is the best talent i have ever seen and is just amazing to watch. Naitanui will(already does) bring fans to the game, even people who don't go for either team will come to watch him play.

post-2043-1212333203_thumb.jpg

from the west's report of yesterday's game:

The Swan Districts big man dominated the ruck against NSW/ACT at Subiaco Oval and produced a stunning final minute to showcase his ability in his team’s 70-point victory.

Naitanui smothered a kick on the boundary line as Mitch Frail attempted to bring the ball back into play, then tapped the ball over his head from the resulting contest before handballing to a teammate, running past for the handball receive and then driving the ball inside 50 to set up a goal for Lance Daly.

The All-Australian finished the game with 20 hitouts, including five to advantage, six tackles, one clearance and eight disposals.

He was being talked about on perth radio, the locals saying freo must pick him up.

Guest MFC4Life
from the west's report of yesterday's game:

The Swan Districts big man dominated the ruck against NSW/ACT at Subiaco Oval and produced a stunning final minute to showcase his ability in his team’s 70-point victory.

Naitanui smothered a kick on the boundary line as Mitch Frail attempted to bring the ball back into play, then tapped the ball over his head from the resulting contest before handballing to a teammate, running past for the handball receive and then driving the ball inside 50 to set up a goal for Lance Daly.

The All-Australian finished the game with 20 hitouts, including five to advantage, six tackles, one clearance and eight disposals.

He was being talked about on perth radio, the locals saying freo must pick him up.

Those who are saying we should pick Rich instead of this bloke must be joking.

just a bit more on NN from the report of yesterday's game:

WA coach Andrew Lockyer laid down the challenge for him to win more possessions around the ground for the rest of the championships. “You don’t see what he did late in the game every day, but we want to see more of it,” he said.

“He could have a real influence on the game if he keeps doing that. When we get against the really good sides, we want to see it right at the start.

“His tackling was fantastic and his one per cent was fantastic.

“He’s such a dominant ruckman that New South Wales were roving to him. We didn’t capitalise on his tap work until later in the match.”

I am more than happy with our young midfield... Rich may one day be a superstar, but I don't think he is what we need. If he could run like Asafa Powell then maybe I'd reconsider, but unfortunately he doesn't. If we have pick #1, it should go to either Naitanui or Hurley.

Look at our major weaknesses at the minute... Ruck and Key-position. Guess what position's the above two play in!!! Naitanui has been mentioned for 2-yrs prior to him being available for draft. Joel Selwood was another bloke who was getting mentioned (particularly from Dermott Brereton) years prior to being available for draft. Another was Tom Hawkins. I am not saying that this is a sure-fire method of telling how good a player is going to be... but they must be something really special if they are getting this press prior to Under 18 championships and so forth.

From an on-field perspective, here is a bloke who can run at really good pace for someone 200cm, can leap beyond all those that have played the game before him, and has okay skills from what I have heard. Wouldn't every club love a Dean Cox in their team... here is our chance, except he will be able to jump all over the original version.

From an off-field perspective, here is a bloke who has the potential to generate a hell of a lot of money for the club through gate-takings, memberships and merchandise. What club would not want that???

Hurley on the other-hand is a different kettle of fish... performed well in defense and up forward at the Northern Knights last season and then followed that up with selection in the Vic Metro team, and ultimately got chosen All-Australian. Has followed it up this year as well being named Vic Metro's best against Vic Country. Hasn't had the press that Naitanui or Rich have been receiving, however looks to be the best key-position prospect in the draft. Rarely gets beaten in a one-on-one contest, and keeps his opponents quiet from a possessions perspective also.

The choice is up to us should we finish last... pick an athletic freak who has endless potential and fills a void in our team, or pick a highly rated key-position player, who could can play both ends and fill our vacant full-forward/full-back posts. If only we didn't win against the Doggies last year... then we could possibly have both of them.

we need a ruckman?

we have:

white (I know probably last year or two)

jamar

johnson

meeson

we need another one? I'm gonna put some faith into Meeson being our number 1 very soon, for the lifetime of his remaining career.

We definately need a FF, and another gun midfielder wouldn't go astray. Judd would have helped, but we all know what happened there.

Robbie Warnock and Jake Spencer will be our ruck combo in 2 - 3 years. We need quality mids and key position players. Watch out for Matt Deboer could of gone top 10 last year.

i dont care who we pick, as long as they are the best...

BUT...

i really dont think that our draft selections are going to bring people through the gates, or make us money unless those draft selections win us games, and eventually win us finals.

i dont care how good a player is, unless te team is winning the player wont have done anything off field to make money.

once you start winning, the off field stuff can be boosted. but lets get some perspective here. we are on the bottom. with a couple of seasons exception we have been down the bottom for 40 years. winning matches and finals is what is important. the rest will take care of its self.

i dont care who we pick, as long as they are the best...

BUT...

i really dont think that our draft selections are going to bring people through the gates, or make us money unless those draft selections win us games, and eventually win us finals.

i dont care how good a player is, unless te team is winning the player wont have done anything off field to make money.

once you start winning, the off field stuff can be boosted. but lets get some perspective here. we are on the bottom. with a couple of seasons exception we have been down the bottom for 40 years. winning matches and finals is what is important. the rest will take care of its self.

Exciting players bring people to games.

I honestly went to the Melbourne Hawthorn game partly to see what Wonaeamirri could do even tho i thought we'd get killed.

Cult figures are important.

besides the fact that we are desperate for a number 1 ruckman to replace White in 1 season...

Robbie Warnock and Jake Spencer will be our ruck combo in 2 - 3 years. We need quality mids and key position players. Watch out for Matt Deboer could of gone top 10 last year.

You can't have two beanpole ruckman that are useless around the ground.

Need a PJ type that can contribute at either end or be a link in midfield.

You can't have two beanpole ruckman that are useless around the ground.

Need a PJ type that can contribute at either end or be a link in midfield.

... or a Naitanui-type. Not sure where I see PJ playing for us to be honest. If we do pick up Naitanui, and then have Warnock nominate us as his preferred destination, where does that leave PJ to play? He is a decent player, with good skill for a big man... could he possibly slot into a key-position role for us?

I remember one game last season where he played up forward for a half or something like that, and had a knack of leading really well and into good places... could that be developed into making him a Lynch-like monster full-forward?

Whoever we pick up at no1 wether it's Naita, Rich or Watts I'm going to feel very sorry for them they will be expected to turn this club around single handedly which is impossible for anyone let alone an 18 year old. P.J is not a ruckman, Jamar is a better tap ruckman. P.J has the mobilty and skill to be a good player but he is too in and out of the game he is the classic case of looks like tarzan plays like Jane.

I have just realised that Watts played all his junior basketball at my old club at Sandy.

The head of coaching down there is a Pies supporter and i am going to the game with him on Monday, so i will find out a bit more information about him. He will have seen his development from about the age of 12 or 13 onward from a basketball perspective. It should be interesting hearing what he is like from an athletic and competetive aspect.

The significance of NN's sunday game was that it was a state game, albeit against NSW-ACT. As the WA coach said, he has to produce that form against the better under-18 state sides.

Just saw a quarter of East Perth-West Perth derby. Dud game but did get a look at Warnock, who kicked a few goals & seemed to get around the ground pretty well. More mobile than I'd expected.

they showed some footage of him on "on the couch" tonight...

looked pretty exciting... showed him laying a chase down tackle, and following up his ruckwork with the ball on the deck, as others have spoken about...