Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

3 stand outs in 08

Yencks

1) Brent Moloney: Our replacement for the gifted Scott Thompson...Brent Moloney has showed his toughness, his character and his ability to kick, and he is fighting through his OP battles, but I believe that we will se a very exciting and tough Brent Moloney under DB and he will once again be atleast in the top 5 of our best and fairest next year

2)Brad Green: Hopefully with Sylvia, Moloney, Davey, Brock, Junior Burger, Jones, Dunn etc playing throughout the midfield next year, we will see a return to the forward line for Brad Green...as you can see in this footage, the rising star nominee looked to be in the mould of David Neitz and not only would he be the best replacement for David Neitz at FF, it would post pone his career for what i believe can be atleast another 5-6 years...it should be a good year for Green

3)Adem Yze: No more to say on Adem after all of the other threads on him but I think after everything DB and the coaches and staff have said about him so far, we will see a return to his glory days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGNhS8m_Gw

I know we hope that there will be many standouts in 08 but along with Mclean, Jones and Sylvia (and the new boys), I hope these three and I believe that these three will be some of the main stand out...

Name the three players you hope will be and should be stand outs in 08

1. Bell - future AA medium defender. Game on S. Welsh last season close to the perfect storm. Some blokes are not good enough to ever play as well as that. If he can perform at that level once then he can do it regularly.

2. Whelan - can and should be the next C. Johnson (Brisbane). Just needs to get body and head right - has suffered from the problem of soft boys being ND pinups so "why the F should I bust a gut".

3. Jones - rich man's Sam Mitchell.

And for good measure, the boy most likely to take the next big step - Simon Buckley.

Im relying on 22 players every week. we will never win a flag if 22 players dont pull their bit

Guest redandbluethruandthru

Man I've wanted Green back up forward for years. LOVE to see that happen!!

plus 1) Jones will continue on in stellar form becoming one of the competitions elite midfielders (this kids gunna be AA several times before he retires)

2) By the end of the season Dunn will be a gun.

3) Davey will benefit greatly from the struggles he faced this 07 season, and with a stronger midfield, will enjoy being played more exclusively as a freak-goalkicking/rundown offensive tackling machine.

But like occo has so eloquently stated without a combined team effort it will be for naught.

If we can get our players to play close to their full potential then look out pajama's there's gunna be a big top in town come september 08

Can I get a halleluljah my brothers????

Guest redandbluethruandthru

lol wondered how many times I'd write that before someone mentioned it.

Damn now I need to find another witty/smartass/stupid thing to say

1) Sylvia, Mclean and Jones to become a unit in the midfield equavelent to any other in the afl.

2) MFC to produce a star...we havnt had one since flower. Bruce, Green, Johnstone and White never became stars though they had the potential. plz one of Rivers, Jones, Davey, Mclean, Sylvia etc, rly push on to become a star.

3) James Frawley to become our quality fullback for the next decade

also would love to see one of our 2nd ruckman (meesan, PJ) to show that they can take over white as number 1 ruck for the next decade.

we know what brock, jonesy ect can do..

but wouldn't it be nice for colin sylvia to take that next step, just say "[censored] it", im gunna play footy!!! stints up forward and midfield bursts would net him 3 goals a game, 25 possesions, 10 marks, 10 tackles and shows the world why he was pick 3, and why Carlton chose the wrong bloke AGAIN!!!

1) Sylvia, Mclean and Jones to become a unit in the midfield equavelent to any other in the afl.

2) MFC to produce a star...we havnt had one since flower. Bruce, Green, Johnstone and White never became stars though they had the potential. plz one of Rivers, Jones, Davey, Mclean, Sylvia etc, rly push on to become a star.

3) James Frawley to become our quality fullback for the next decade

also would love to see one of our 2nd ruckman (meesan, PJ) to show that they can take over white as number 1 ruck for the next decade.

1. Dean Baily to live up the the massive pumping up he has received on this site! ooops you said players...

1. all of the above....

2. One at least of the new boys to step up early and show he is an AFL level player

3. All those who played with injuries or could not play at all remind us how good they really are.. Pettard, Riv, Wheels, Davey, Robbo, Beamer, etc.. etc..

1) Jared Rivers: Super important to our back line. Will provide rebound which we so desperately lacked this year. Hoping that Bartram, Petterd and Bell provide plenty of run and support from half back.

2) Brock McLean/Nathan Jones: I put these guys under the same heading because they are both future stars who are an integral part of the midfield. If these boys fire we'll win plenty of games.

3) Michael "Juice" Newton: We need plenty of goals and I think 50-60 goals could come from this man. I no longer believe that Neita is (or should be) the main man in the forward line.

I agree that Dunn could become a gun if given the opportunities, and a return to the forward line beckons for Brad Green.

we know what brock, jonesy ect can do..

but wouldn't it be nice for colin sylvia to take that next step, just say "[censored] it", im gunna play footy!!! stints up forward and midfield bursts would net him 3 goals a game, 25 possesions, 10 marks, 10 tackles and shows the world why he was pick 3, and why Carlton chose the wrong bloke AGAIN!!!

Yes, that would be nice.

Saw him last week and he was looking in absolute peak condition... either that, or his shirt was 3 sizes too small.

Either way, he has no more excuses, he has to give us something this season.

I have a feeling that, if his health is 100%, that Petterd will really make his mark next season and will go close to winning the Rising Star (he's still eligable!). Also Bartram will be hungry after missing a whole season with injuries.

Daniel Bell, will, in a surprise move, be matched up on Judd in round 5. Singleminded determination, strength and speed will limit Judd's influence (after he has a great start to the year) and the whole AFL world will have to sit up and take notice of Belly, and they'll also notice what a nice, handsome young man he is.

The hype will go nuts for Bailey making the seemingly unorthodox move.

And all here will smile to themsleves, having known all along that Bell would one day crack the ceiling.

The next week, Jack Grimes will be brought in after a few great weeks at Sandringham, will play directly on Travis Johnstone and put so much pressure on him he overcooks his high-risk centering kicks, producing turnovers which rapidly end up in the safe arms of our forwards.

And finally, against Essendon in round 18, Cameron Bruce will at last launch back into the scintillating form which we haven't seen since just before Steven 'F-knuckle' Baker deliberately crunched Bruce's shoulding in round 4 2005. Why against Essendon? Because #&%$ them, that's why!

it was brent guerra who crushed bruces shoulder

Really?

I guess that makes sense. Interesting that he came into that game as his first for the season, and the first thing he did was...

Well, I'm glad I haven't overdone the wrath at Baker then.

Guerra huh?

All this time I thought Brent Guerra's only crime was being Brent Guerra, which is also his punishment, ironically.

Dammit. He's so... average to substandard. It's like his mediocrity is a shield against my anger - I try to hate him, but I just look at him and think, who would give a %#^ about you?

Really?

I guess that makes sense. Interesting that he came into that game as his first for the season, and the first thing he did was...

Well, I'm glad I haven't overdone the wrath at Baker then.

Guerra huh?

All this time I thought Brent Guerra's only crime was being Brent Guerra, which is also his punishment, ironically.

Dammit. He's so... average to substandard. It's like his mediocrity is a shield against my anger - I try to hate him, but I just look at him and think, who would give a %#^ about you?

Was a legit tackle, not unlike those applied by Bell, Sylvia, Byron and most of Brisbane's tacklers.

Bruce was just unlucky that he has boney shoulders and he landed on near concrete.

Still, Guerra wears a rug, sucks to be him.

Im relying on 22 players every week. we will never win a flag if 22 players dont pull their bit

spot on. no better recent example than Geelong. like the idea of Green at full forward. turns 27 early next years. obviuosly prefer him on the lead but has shown his ability to bring down a strong pack mark.

spot on. no better recent example than Geelong. like the idea of Green at full forward. turns 27 early next years. obviuosly prefer him on the lead but has shown his ability to bring down a strong pack mark.

I dont think green has the height to be a full forward. Perhaps im wrong but jeez it would be risky. I prefer him in the midfield and bruce playing off half back flank

1. Newton's stocks to continue to rapidly rise. With another preseason under his belt, more muscle, maturity and confidence to go with his natural talent, he could become one of the games elite tall forwards. I want to see Newton take this game by the scruff of the neck and start to dominate like Barry Hall and Dermie did.

2. Rivers to be fully fit and firing as the AFL's premier CHB. The time has come for an All Australian season.

3. John Meeson. I reckon Meeson is an absolute beauty. For those that haven't seen him kick, his skills are awesome for a big man. I have high hopes.

Brock, Sylvia and Jones to rip it up in the midfield, assisted by Davey, Buckley, Morton and Grimes.

Bruce, Junior and Bartram to be assigned as pure taggers. This was where Bruce was the most damaging.

Robbo stay at home FF.

Green as a permanent 55-60 goal forward in the Steve Johnson mould. With his midfield fitness Greeny should be able to run rings around the forward line.

Frawley to bulk up and take the next step and cement a spot in the backline.

Bell to have a dominant season.

Carroll to remember he is a footballer first (not a rockstar) and play good honest hard football.

I dont think green has the height to be a full forward. Perhaps im wrong but jeez it would be risky. I prefer him in the midfield and bruce playing off half back flank

he`s 184cm, so not the biggest guy getting around. i dont know if im right in thinking this- you pick your backline based on matchups with opposition forwards. you pick your forwards with goal scoring and team balance in mind. Mark Williams from hawthorn was able to exploit the bigger,slower fullbacks. sorrounded by Bate, Juice,Davey and Magic we start look really dangerous

Can't narrow it down to three so heres five.

Rivers - if fit he will stand out as expected.

Bate - I think the bloke could be the star for CAC's CV. Big, Strong, Great hands and can kick the ball accurately 60m+. If the midfield/half back line can give him some reasonable delivery, he could be anything.

Jones - Entering just his third year of footy, seems like hes been playing for years, with his hairstyle, strong build and consistant gathering of over 20 touches a game.

Mclean - as per Rivers, best player at the club at the moment.

Davey - a great footballer.

he`s 184cm, so not the biggest guy getting around. i dont know if im right in thinking this- you pick your backline based on matchups with opposition forwards. you pick your forwards with goal scoring and team balance in mind. Mark Williams from hawthorn was able to exploit the bigger,slower fullbacks. sorrounded by Bate, Juice,Davey and Magic we start look really dangerous

yeah i disagree. Mark Williams was quick...real quick. He also was able to read the play excepionally well. He had good communication with the midfield and knew when to lead so he could exploit his speed. If u watch any games again of him you will see he never lead to a cluttered area or where defenders could intercept. Delivering the ball into the forward line is the hard bit of scoring i believe. If u have a good enough midfield who can kick long when needed or silky players kicking low raking kicks it makes it easy for forwards and the midfield too as the ball doesent escape and rebound. I dont think teams just match up on goal scoring ability. THere is height issues, speed, kicking accuracy, knowing when, where and how to lead and using the space to the best of the teams ability. Green is a good kick - years ago i would have said a fantastic kick but he has dropped off alot. I would like to see Green at forward pocket as i think robbo is best at half forward pocket still. But neitz has to play FF. Last year in 1 game we had: Neitz, Robbo, Green, Bate, Dunn and davey in the forward line and it didnt work as the ball hit the ground, players were not communicating and the ball was rebounding. there is plenty of goal scoring ability there but we struggled all day

1. Jones Boy - We can all feel it, Jonesy is the real thing. A player Melbourne has not had for some time.

2. Messen - Pure speculation, but I don't believe he is the punt most think he is. I don't much take DB for a gambler.

3. Bell - The close eyes out there have seen Belly consistantly develop. A solid pre-season and some solid direction from our coaching staff will see Bell and the remainder of our backline finally step up.

Let me first say that I dont think labelling newish senior players, whether they be first year or third year, as 'stand outs' is neither fair nor realistic. Unless they're already established in the best 22 anything positive should be viewed as a bonus.

My big improvers for 2008:

Moloney - if fate took a different course may well have a premiership medal around his neck. As much as I love the mongrels, Beamer has more natural football ability than McLean and Jonesy put together.

Green - the biggest on-field leader after Neita. Whilst I understand the desire to play him forward IMO he is best used where our biggest weakness lies, the back half, leave him on a flank to direct the traffic and bring the backline together, whilst leaving the likes of young Rivers and Bell to play their own game.

Bate - athleticism, sticky hands & penetrating kick = future CHF.

Smokies:

P.Johnson or B.Miller - CHB? Im not holding my breath but given their body size if either player could work in this position it would be a god send. Bailey, M.Williams, SuperDevelopmentCoach or otherwise IMO they've proven unworthy of any other KPP roles.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves:

Frawley - hes 19 ffs. Enjoy watching him develop but if it takes another 1-2 years so be it, kids this size take time.

Any 2007 draftees - an AFL players worth is proven by what they do in the AFL. Lets see what they do @ Sandy then consider their AFL potential, until then its all just speculation, the Mooroolbark Under 17s doesnt mean squat.