Where has the MFC soul gone?

Platinum Member

The back of my platinum membership states that I have been a member for 38 consecutive years. I am proud of that.

However, I note on the MFC website that our membership is below 25,000, – perhaps the lowest in the AFL – the team is without a win and has been more or less thumped every week on the field.

It is all well and good for a call to arms, but no-one wants to enter a fight where the odds seem so heavily stacked against you. Whether we like or not, MFC supporters are perhaps the most fickle in the League.

We all put up with the jibes about rather going to the snow in our Range Rovers than attending games, but given the current state of club, who could blame any supporter for staying way. If only I did own a Range Rover.

The club has to understand---------- and soon--------- that people will desert in droves, if they cannot at least see some semblance of pride, spirit and soul.

I am frankly sick to death of hearing that the boys are trying to learn a new game plan. The reason for that is, I am not sure what the damn plan is and in any event, if this current crop of players do not have the skill to master the plan, then damn well change it.

If the Club does not act soon to instil some much needed pride into the playing group and if that is not translated into the performance on the field, then we will bleed to death. You cannot expect the supporters to hang around and hope on a wing and a prayer. Sure, we would like a win, but right now I would settle for a performance where I could at least believe our guys had a red hot go.

To borrow the well used and appropriate marketing hook from our old merger nemesis.

DO SOMETHING. DON’T THINK……..DO!!!

Surely, in our 150th year, we have a right to feel proud about our team………….both on and off the field.

Regards

Surely, in our 150th year, we have a right to feel proud about our team………….both on and off the field.

Yep.. and after i shelled out about $700 for a weekend on the Gold Coast with my son and tickets to the game yesterday I certainly didn't feel proud . I keep my head high but it's pretty tough when people from a league background are laughing at me.

.... if this current crop of players do not have the skill to master the plan, then damn well change it.

Agree 100%. I note that this sentiment is beginning to filter through from some of our supporters/members! Maybe after 6 rounds of pathetic football, the club may put a bit of pressure on DB to adapt to our current lists skills!!

If you were there in 87 for the first 2 finals, you saw unrivalled passion. It was almost like an upmarket version of Collingwood. The ferocity, swagger and strut was all there. The G was filled with the Red n Blue army.

20 years later, more complacency and ineptness has not only put the once proud sleeping giant into a coma, it has actually mortally wounded the beast!

'87 and '88 were great times. Never did I feel more proud to follow the Demons. OK, we didn't achieve the ultimate, but the foundations were laid to be secure into the future.

Internal politics ruined that chance and we are now paying the price.

That was not the members fault.

The back of my platinum membership states that I have been a member for 38 consecutive years. I am proud of that.

However, I note on the MFC website that our membership is below 25,000, – perhaps the lowest in the AFL – the team is without a win and has been more or less thumped every week on the field.

It is all well and good for a call to arms, but no-one wants to enter a fight where the odds seem so heavily stacked against you. Whether we like or not, MFC supporters are perhaps the most fickle in the League.

To state that MFC supporters are the most fickle in the league is misinformed, and serves to reinforce a damaging stereotype of MFC that I feel is misinformed.

Firstly, our membership is not the lowest - Brisbane and WB have fewer members than us. I'm not sure how Port work out their membership tally either. Secondly, one of the Melbourne dailies reported that we hit 25,000 members recently.

Considering our form last season and now, I think 25,000 is a decent number when you take into account our membership figures in recent years. Most clubs have poor crowds (~11,000 to a Hawks vs interstate club at the 'G match in 2004) and deflated membership figures when they are performing poorly on the field.

It's disappointing that we don't have more members, and don't draw bigger crowds - I can't agree more. However, it's a fallacy to label MFC supporters as the most fickle in the league.

Guest devil

For the love of god and sweet Jesus can we please get rid of Paul Gardener!

We need someone who can sell memberships...we missed out on Kevin Sheedy so we are stuck with Dean Bailey...jury is out as to what sort of coach he is but on camera he is about as bad as Dean Ladely

If we are to believe Paul McNmee (great addition) that there are many leaders from the top end of town that are big Melbourne supporters, can we try and convince one of them to become the Pres???

The AFL are spot on...we do have an image problem and it has to change...FAST!

Our coach is not going to change that, so we need some off field leadership to turn this club around.

I will continue to keep buying my membership, and to attend as many games as I can....but i dont want to attend them alone!

We all put up with the jibes about rather going to the snow in our Range Rovers than attending games, but given the current state of club, who could blame any supporter for staying way. If only I did own a Range Rover.

The club has to understand---------- and soon--------- that people will desert in droves, if they cannot at least see some semblance of pride, spirit and soul.

I am frankly sick to death of hearing that the boys are trying to learn a new game plan. The reason for that is, I am not sure what the damn plan is and in any event, if this current crop of players do not have the skill to master the plan, then damn well change it.

If the Club does not act soon to instil some much needed pride into the playing group and if that is not translated into the performance on the field, then we will bleed to death. You cannot expect the supporters to hang around and hope on a wing and a prayer. Sure, we would like a win, but right now I would settle for a performance where I could at least believe our guys had a red hot go.

To borrow the well used and appropriate marketing hook from our old merger nemesis.

DO SOMETHING. DON’T THINK……..DO!!!

Regards

Spot on ! We are not seen to be doing ANYTHING ! Suggest McNamee will be a good appointment, CC a great get for the Footy Dept but as for the rest..I despair.

Restore the Demon - have some pride - stop being pushed around by all and sundry- play with some passion for god sake !!!!!!!! Memberships will only be sold by on-field performance and for the second year in a row, our year is shot to pieces 4 rounds in. ENOUGH !!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spot on ! We are not seen to be doing ANYTHING ! Suggest McNamee will be a good appointment, CC a great get for the Footy Dept but as for the rest..I despair.

Restore the Demon - have some pride - stop being pushed around by all and sundry- play with some passion for god sake !!!!!!!! Memberships will only be sold by on-field performance and for the second year in a row, our year is shot to pieces 4 rounds in. ENOUGH !!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its only small, but I have made a habit of wearing my recently picked up "Demons" tie to work. I have the opportunity to wear a tie six days a week (luckyme), but I guess it cant hurt, its a good looking tie , the more red and blue out there the better.

As it gets colder, use your Dees scarf through the working week.

Cmon fellow Demons!!! Chin Up and lets go!!