Bailey on 3AW

joeboy

I'll agree ( you'll sleep better I'm sure :lol::rolleyes: !! ).. its just logical you establish a plan..then assemble the resources to implement it.

Bails thinks he has the plan...just needs the timber!!

And I suppose you think that the timber will just fall from the trees! ;)

And I suppose you think that the timber will just fall from the trees! ;)

:blink::unsure::blink::huh:

You choose your wood according to the job....... didnt ya know !!! ;)

I think there are a few question marks next to his support staff. Players, who were renowned for their sublime skills in past seasons can't catch, kick out of bounds or handball to the opposition so that they can goal. Mahoney?? I'd prefer Viney or Lyon.

He spoke of the frustrations with having no set pre season training base, and how he had stood in awe yesterday when the goal posts were finally installed at The Junction Oval, whilst he remarked how vital it was that the club embraced the notion of setting up summer training facilities at Casey, noting that we were ranked 16th (and last) in Auskick numbers, reflecting the small numbers of youngsters attracted to the club. Initiatives such as this in huge growth corridoors such as Cranbourne would, he claimed, have a flow on effect on membership in future years.

I didn't hear it, but someone this afternoon told me that he said that the Casey summer training facilities would be for only one year, and then it would be full time in at the rectangular stadium.

Anyone else hear it for a confirming opinion either way?

Thanks 'grazman', thats really well put. I wish I could have written that.

I don't care that we haven't won a single game as yet, in fact for our long term future's concerned I'm glad.

I only want to win not more than 4 games this year, whilst playing Kids. You know, they bust their arses playing & making mistakes & still lose. But in doing so they learn a hell of a lot & get more games experience with the hangers ons retired off.

Meanwhile the club can fasttrack the list rejuvenation & with early dibs on quality.

We really only need one season down @ the bottom 2 or 3, then next year around 10th.

Thanks MFM. Of course it's just my personal opinion, and I'm always open to the notion that I could be wrong - but Bailey is a good leader. There's no panic and there's no hesitancy in the face of adversity, just flint hard determination.

I still think we're a better side than the likes of Carlton and Richmond, and I expect that the game plan will start gelling towards the end of the year.

I didn't hear it, but someone this afternoon told me that he said that the Casey summer training facilities would be for only one year, and then it would be full time in at the rectangular stadium.

Anyone else hear it for a confirming opinion either way?

I think you'l find nothig has been signed yet. There are still some issues regarding funding and the afl. I had the impresion that the MFC was looking to casey as a longer term Summer venue in respect to training.

What has also been announced by the club is they were moving some FOOTBALL ADMIN/DEPT ( open to correction ) etc to Casey FOR ONE YEAR ONLY..and this would revert back to Bubbledome when complete....but some training would continue on ..until whenever..over summers...and occasionally through season

Thanks, that clarifies it....I think the person who told me just heard the "after a year we're back to the RS" (rectangular stadium, or whatever else you think it might stand for) and didn't hear the bit about it being related to the footy dept admin.

Every time we discuss the issue of 'game plan' you raise disciplines that I consider to be the basics of footy, and should be adhered to, regardless of game style. Basics such as head over the ball, pressure, tackling, chasing, blocking etc, are all areas that we needed to improve post Daniher. I'm yet to see any results of this changing under Bailey.

The area of Bailey's 'run and carry' game style that I despise is using handball to a stationary teammate as the 'get-out' option. This only works if your teammate has great evasive skills. We have very few players with evasive skills. If our 'get-out' option was a 30-40 metre kick to 3 or 4 designated areas, at least the players up the ground know where to position themselves. A quote from Cam Bruce in today's Age "we want to get to that stage where we just know where the ball's going and can get there". For mine, this is an indictment on the coach, not the players.

BTW, how are the West Coast going with their 'run and carry' style without Cousins and Judd?

mo, how many games have you been too? I went to two of our pre-season matches and have been to the first three games and there was huge improvement in the 'footy basics' against Geelong including players running to space, continuous movement through passages of play and pressure on the opposition ball carrriers for the FIRST time this year.

Bailey wouldn't instruct them to handball to stationary targets but as a last option that is sometimes what happens, especially in close in situations. Ideally the bloke who has given off the handball to someone flat footed should immediately be moving to receive.

Every time we discuss the issue of 'game plan' you raise disciplines that I consider to be the basics of footy, and should be adhered to, regardless of game style. Basics such as head over the ball, pressure, tackling, chasing, blocking etc, are all areas that we needed to improve post Daniher. I'm yet to see any results of this changing under Bailey.

The area of Bailey's 'run and carry' game style that I despise is using handball to a stationary teammate as the 'get-out' option. This only works if your teammate has great evasive skills. We have very few players with evasive skills. If our 'get-out' option was a 30-40 metre kick to 3 or 4 designated areas, at least the players up the ground know where to position themselves. A quote from Cam Bruce in today's Age "we want to get to that stage where we just know where the ball's going and can get there". For mine, this is an indictment on the coach, not the players.

BTW, how are the West Coast going with their 'run and carry' style without Cousins and Judd?

Bailey wont force those changes. Each player must take responsibility to put their "head over the ball, pressure, tackling, chasing, blocking etc". And as Bailey is starting to do... holding accountable and weeding out those who will not follow those rules. CC has said round 6 they will start formally cutting the chaff from the key playing list.

You have to get it into your head that DB's gameplan does not rule that you handball to a stationery object no matter how much ignorant critics want to paint it that way. And by the way proper use of handball skillfully does not involve "get out" options it means within the confines of the game plan using the ball to best and often first option of a moving (note that word moving) teammate. As you have seen when you dish off to a stationery player then they have to be Houdini to get out of trouble. Thats not the game plan thats the lack of skill in execution by the players in execution and being able to think under pressure when they have and dont have the ball.

The problem with a get out option being a 30 to 40 metre kick is that there is just as much issue of accuracy as a handball with a broader path of error and control that leads to turnover without progressing the ball and typically to a stationery player. Back where we started from.

Done properly where all players commit and follow the instructions, then Cam Bruce's objective is achieved. And no Bruce's comments are an indictment on the playing group as a whole not the Coach as it is clear from Bruce's comments as a senior player and member of the leadership group that:

1. DB has communicated what has to be achieved to the players and the many of the players know what to achieve.

2. The players know they are not achieving and realise they have to work harder to achieve the set objective(s).

I think it endorses DB's capacity as a communicator and is highlighting those players who are not up to the task at hand. There is a real challenge of character for the players to step up not just for the team but for themselves. If a player does not want to cut it here then it wont be any easier at any other better performing club and you wont be treasured recruit if you could not cut at a lowly rung Club.

And before you say you despise something it might be better to try and understand it first otherwise it becomes illuminating about you and not the issue at hand.

And didn't you think WCE would struggle losing two players who could have both been revered as the greatest players at their Club's history? And does it not show that you need to have the requisite skill to execute any game plan? WCE were always going to struggle this year given the loss of players and the destruction of culture. But that not the game plan. BTW, if it gets any worse should they revert to "Pagan's Paddock"? ;)

What I like about Bailey is his communication and self-belief. A good coach must be able to communicate well and this includes knowing how to talk to particular players to get the best out of them as well as getting the message through generally to the group. Coaches that are hesitant and lack confidence are typically poor communicators as their message isn't sold to the players. Why would you believe someone who doesn't believe himself?

Bailey appears to be confident and a very good communicator. He of course still has plenty to prove but he deserves a good crack at it and he certainly has the attributes to be a very good coach.