Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

On the bright side

Yencks

Some people may call this a stupid thread but im after comments on the good things from the match...its three quarter time but the greatest things i have seen are

1.) Valenti-ball magnet, aggresive, exiting, coragous, took it right up to them, a good smother, a good goal...

2.) Buckley

3.) Garland

4.) OOOOOZZEEEEE

5.) Aussie showing some flare

6.) Zomer apart from that miss

7.) Jones-leading possesions at this stage, getting better and better

8.) All the players coming back from injury

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing on the bright side:

Yet another game were Green proves how much of a hack he is. Should have traded him 2 years ago. How is this bright? We're a game closer to this overrated player getting traded.

1.) Valenti-ball magnet, aggresive, exiting, coragous, took it right up to them, a good smother, a good goal...

2.) Buckley

3.) Garland

4.) OOOOOZZEEEEE

5.) Aussie showing some flare

6.) Zomer apart from that miss

7.) Jones-leading possesions at this stage, getting better and better

8.) All the players coming back from injury

Don't really think much of Zomer, to be honest. He hasn't done much wrong, but it's hard to suggest he'll be anything based on a couple of kicks.

Yze has been ordinary. Jeez his kicking has deteriorated.

I agree with the rest, and would like to add that Stef Martin looks like a real find. He's big, athletic, and doesn't look nearly as raw as what we've heard. Jones, Valenti and Garland the standouts for mine though. Valenti has been pretty exceptional. He's had 21 touches and sharked half a dozen more at the ruck contest before being tackled. Definitely knows where to find the ball.

In spite of yelling at the TV all afternoon, I certainly haven't lost any hope based on this performance. Saw enough to like to allay what I didn't like.

[quote name='Chooka for Charlie' date="Another bright side to the game was that we didn't risk a clash between the red and blue and white and blue, so we wore white and blue with a stripe of red.

Wasn't it incredible Charlie.!

Normally there's no confusion between Geelong and Melb jumpers, but they managed to design a "clash strip" that was indistinguishable(on TV) when the play was in bright sunlight(most of the time). For a start, both jumpers were all white on the back. But white dominated in the bright sunlight, such that TV viewers were left in doubt about which side had the ball.

I am usually pretty negative when it comes to the Demons, but most of the positives that have been mentioned on this thread i agree with. The first qtr with the wind was disastrous, but there were some real positives to take out of that game considering the team we fielded.

The only negative i have is Jeff White. I'll admit, i am not his greatest fan, but he set the tone early in the game with his inability to get near the ball in the ruck against Ottens, and if you are going to play without an opponent as a loose man in defence, as a senior player on an inexperienced team, can you at least hit some targets.

Agree Chook, what a disgraceful jumper. I reckon a couple of times our guys got confused by the clash, but I don't think anyone is listening on that one

On the positives, Stef Martin was the big one for me, he was really good. Buckley looks like he'll have a good year, Valenti was excellent, especially in the first half when only he and Jones could handle the Cats pressure.

Quick run through:

1. Simon Buckley - excellent, some dashing runs, should back himself in more. Sometimes a little slow to make a decision.

2. Nathan Jones - now our best midfielder, undoubtedly.

4. Ben Holland - struggled with Mooney. Got lost in the torrent of ball forward at times. It'll be different with Rivers and Carroll in, plus Big Ben always starts slowly.

6. Matthew Bate - played further up than normal, didn't do a great amount. Hopefully he gets more on-ball time this year and Dunn gets more time as one of the lead up half forwards.

11. Paul Johnson - he's not really a ruckman, occasionally he does some nice things down back but he makes a lot of bad mistakes. Fourth on the ruckman depth chart now. Might not see much AFL action baring injuries. Hope Bailey doesn't want him down back all year.

12. Colin Sylvia - looked a bit freer in movement than normal. Half forward rotating midfielder is going to have to be his role. Not unhappy with his performance.

13. Adem Yze - half back? God no. Must play at half forward. Too loose defensively and besides, Green will play that midfield dropping back role, maybe even starting at half back. Not sure we can carry both of them playing back.

18. Brad Green - pretty solid. Has a point to prove this year. As with Yze, they need to decide which one of them is playing back, cos only one can.

20. Colin Garland - first time I've seen him show some signs. Three goals, not sure what his position is yet. Big enough for KP? Running half back? Half forward. Might not play much AFL this year but is developing ok.

21. Daniel Bell - good to see him back there. Gave away a stack of frees but fought hard.

23. James McDonald - usual junior game, not really noticable but a fair bit of it.

24. Russell Robertson - worked harder than he did at times last year. Not a lot of great service going forward for three quarters out of the four.

25. Kyle Cheney - didn't do much, too early

26. John Meesen - really impressed. Moves around nicely and has some skills. I'd have him second behind White, ahead of Jamar-Johnson

28. Isaac Weetra - couple of nice touches, bit too physical for him but chased well, even in the first half when no one else was.

29. Michael Newton - Same as Robbo, not a lot of opportunities. Needs to get his confidence up in his kicking though. Kicked two but the one he missed should have been an easy goal.

30. Tom McNamara - did ok, got lost a few times as you'd expect but fought on pretty well

33. Stef Martin - as above really impressed, he's a big unit and he moved well, I hope he can be a permanant fixture in defence in the next few years. What is he, 21ish? Will need some time but liked what I saw.

34. Jeff White - played back to fill holes. One of those games that an experienced player has in the NAB Cup, not really pushing the limits.

35. Trent Zomer - couple of nice touches, obviously pretty raw

37. Matthew Warnock - beaten all ends up a few times early but got better. Tough day to be a defender. Persist with him though, he's got a chance.

39. Austin Wonaeamirri - like him. Reminded me of Davey in the 04 pre-season, not quite as good but loved the pressure. A forward line with him and Davey running blokes down? Gold. Can we get him up of the RL? Do we have space? If we did it'd be a tough choice between him and Valenti.

40. Mark Jamar - More athletic but still looks a step off at times. Like his physicality but he just gets beaten too often.

43. Jace Bode - Didn't do a lot, but showed last year he can go a bit.

44. Shane Valenti - excellent. He and Jones held it up early when no one could get going. If he can survive against Bartel/Ling and co then he can survive against anyone. Find a way to get him up!

Dean Bailey - yeah not bad, tough first up gig. 14 Premiership players against 10 or 11 guys who have either never played an AFL game or have played less than 10. The running game plan seems good, chip into the middle and keep it moving forward. Pretty similar to Port's, which is good. Not sure about Yze back and definately hope that four ruckmen is something left in the Pre-Season. Maximum of two during the H+A, especially if Holland is in the side as well.

Overall some concerns but that was always going to be a tough task. The three quarters of not chasing and tackling and the shocking skills is a major worry though.

Overall some concerns but that was always going to be a tough task. The three quarters of not chasing and tackling and the shocking skills is a major worry though.

I virtually disagreed with everything.

I didn't see much of the game, but when you looked at the 2 squads even before Miller, Frawley and Davey pulled out, Geelong were a 10 goal better team, especially at home.

On the bright side, I loaded up big time on the $1.80 for Geelong to win by more than 15 1/2 points. Betting certainty of the year!

You can talk it up all you like but notwithstanding the players missing, today was a truly pathetic outcome with few real bright spots and the enormity of the task ahead for DB is being formed. There is much to do. Many of the senior players that did play may want to consider the future if todays performance is a guide.

Another thing on the bright side:

Yet another game were Green proves how much of a hack he is. Should have traded him 2 years ago. How is this bright? We're a game closer to this overrated player getting traded.

Your kiddin yourself. Hvae you ever played the figgin game? why the ^%$# would you want Green putting his body online in a NAB cup game?

You are absolutly dilusional *spelling

go away little boy

You can talk it up all you like but notwithstanding the players missing, today was a truly pathetic outcome with few real bright spots and the enormity of the task ahead for DB is being formed.

We had 8 first game players today. Weetra, Martin, Valenti, Cheney, Maric, MacNamara, Aussie, Zomer. Add Garland, Bode, Meesen, Buckley, Warnock, and Newton who've played less than 10. That's 14 players to have played less than 10 games of footy.

I thought the "outcome" was amazing under the circumstances. Many of these young players won't make the grade, but Bailey has already shown me that his players will have a read hot crack. We virtually played Sandy Seconds today.

My best team out: Neitz, Rivers, McLean, Moloney, Petterd, Davey, Bartram, Carroll, Dunn, Bruce, Whelan, and possibly Wheatley, Frawley, or Miller. Half the bloody team.

I found your post far more "pathetic" than today's effort.

We had 10 first game players today. Geelong had one. Weetra, Martin, Valenti, Cheney, Maric, MacNamara, Aussie, Zomer, Maric, and Valenti. Add Garland, Bode, Meesen, Buckley, Warnock, and Newton who've played less than 10. That's 16 players to have played less than 10 games of footy.

Your arithmetic was about as bad as we played today. Maric and Valenti played their first games twice! Other than that you have a point although I would add that some of our more experienced players performed poorly which made it even harder for the young guys.

I thought Tom McNamara was as promising as anyone else given that he's still a 17 year old. He would not normally have been expected to play so his effort was a real bonus. Should be a very good player in a couple of year's time.

We had 10 first game players today. Geelong had one. Weetra, Martin, Valenti, Cheney, Maric, MacNamara, Aussie, Zomer, Maric, and Valenti. Add Garland, Bode, Meesen, Buckley, Warnock, and Newton who've played less than 10. That's 16 players to have played less than 10 games of footy.

I thought the "outcome" was amazing under the circumstances. Many of these young players won't make the grade, but Bailey has already shown me that his players will have a read hot crack. We virtually played Sandy Seconds today.

My best team out: Neitz, Rivers, McLean, Moloney, Petterd, Davey, Bartram, Carroll, Dunn, Bruce, Whelan, and possibly Wheatley, Frawley, or Miller. Half the bloody team.

I found your post far more "pathetic" than today's effort.

Totally agree. I did the count before the game and this surely is a record number of first gamers for any AFL or Pre-season game. This left a huge workload on our few experienced players who clearly struggled under this weight against a very strong Geelong side that was really sharp.

Many of the first gamers looked very raw and had no idea what to do when the Cats turned it on in the second quarter. I was really impressed, however, when the whole side ran onto the ground looking pretty fired-up for the third quarter and did a great job with the Cats lucky to stay so far in front.

IMO Valenti was a standout (played like Priddis) and McNamara was fantastic for a 17/18 year old in his first game. It must have been a great experience for the others and they will be better when they get their next chance.

Overall, I don't think we can read anything into the result because we won't field a side anything like this again this season.