Draft Profiles

Jarka

It's not often that you get a good thread on bigfooty but io this case it's fully justified. Couch Coach has put together a thread with alot of the potential draftees descriptions from different posters and footballing personalities. Well worth a read to get to know the kids a bit more.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388450

by the looks of things...

at pick 4 we are looking at either Masten or Palmer (whichever CAC rates highest)...an outsider for pick 4 would be McEvoy.

at pick 14 some rippers should be still available...im hoping Myer, Rioli, Collier or maybe even Rance if he slips.

at pick 21 a player like Gourdis, Geatner or Bellchambers would be great picks.

looking forward to 3 very highly talented youngsters to add to our list.

at pick 56 we could go for a smokey, but i wouldnt be upset if we went for a guy like FergusWatts (if he nominates for the ND) or a sandy player (Valenti?)

at pick 56 we could go for a smokey, but i wouldnt be upset if we went for a guy like FergusWatts (if he nominates for the ND) or a sandy player (Valenti?)

Fergus Watts, you're kidding, right? The guy has just set a record by being delisted after two clubs wasted first-round picks on him. Where there is smoke, there is fire; stay right away from him.

Fergus Watts, you're kidding, right? The guy has just set a record by being delisted after two clubs wasted first-round picks on him. Where there is smoke, there is fire; stay right away from him.

incorrect...he's been delisted once.

he was TRADED for a FIRST ROUND PICK after only 1 year at adelaide to bring him home to Vic. now after 2 seasons at StKilda he has been delisted.

he's only 20yrs old 196cm FullForward. with Neitz playing his last year we have to have a few options of young players who could improve and fill the hole of FF for 2009.

after being injured almost this entire season, he showed good signs in his last 4 games at vfl level, kicking 7 goals one game.

im not suggesting that he's a gun, however would be worth the risk of a low pick up PSD pick.

Well Sylvinator did say he was a smokey......

After reading the Masten profile, i am extremely keen on him.

I think one of our biggest weaknesses is a lack of players who are super clean around the stoppages. Sounds like he could be the man for this job.

Hahaha did you read the bit about McLean being dynamic? He is alot of things, Brocky, but one thing he is not is dynamic.

Got to say I like the sound of Pat Vezpremi as our pick 14 or 21. Sounds like a flat-out no BS sort of arrangement who can break open packs and absolutely loves the hard stuff. It would depend on our ability to get a tall somewhere though, as we need to pick one up with either 4, 14 or 21.

Hahaha did you read the bit about McLean being dynamic? He is alot of things, Brocky, but one thing he is not is dynamic.

Got to say I like the sound of Pat Vezpremi as our pick 14 or 21. Sounds like a flat-out no BS sort of arrangement who can break open packs and absolutely loves the hard stuff.

What the hell is dynamic anyway? Who would you descibe as "dynamic"? Someone who does a couple of flash in the pan things for the whole game? Definitely not Brock.

It's not often that you get a good thread on bigfooty but io this case it's fully justified. Couch Coach has put together a thread with alot of the potential draftees descriptions from different posters and footballing personalities. Well worth a read to get to know the kids a bit more.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388450

Thanks Jarka! A good read. The bloke I know who is with the Saints is all over Masten and Henderson. Says he has no doubt who the first 3 will be and that MFC should take Masten if they want best available, or Henderson if they want the best KPP prospect. Your link seems to back up what he has been saying.

Thanks Jarka! A good read. The bloke I know who is with the Saints is all over Masten and Henderson. Says he has no doubt who the first 3 will be and that MFC should take Masten if they want best available, or Henderson if they want the best KPP prospect. Your link seems to back up what he has been saying.

It all depends on what we're after when pick 4 comes around. The conventional wisdom is that Kreuzer, Cotchin and Morton will be selected before our selection and therefore if we're after a quality midfielder of class, Masten seems to be the one closely followed by Palmer who has shown that he has the capacity to mix it with the men in the WAFL. However, you can't rule out Henderson (if we want a KPP who plays forward) or Rance (if we want a KPP who plays back) or McEvoy (ruck/KPP). I think that's the field for our pick at # 4.

There are also some interesting draft profiles at AFL INSIDER

Whilst I agree on getting a tall, we have to go for best available at 4. No ifs or buts about it!!!

I had my heart set on Palmer (assuming Cotchin was already gone) but reading the write up about Masten -well perhaps he is a better option. I wouldnt complain if CAC gets either of those. 14 is a bit of a wait and see and 21? Well will leave that up to those in the know as I simply have no idea.

West Coast could be the crucial pick at 3. Do they go for Cotchin and risk him wanting out when he first can or do they take Masten or Palmer or even Morton? I personally think they will risk it with Cotchin and leave us to take our choice of the two already mentioned.

I dont think we should use #4 for Henderson- if he is still around at 14, great but many have already said that our record of picking for position is not the best. We need to utilise this #4 as best we possibly can and hopefully the rest will take care of itself.

Gee Palmer resembles our Col a fair bit! The girls will go mad for him!

How good are the write ups on these kids?

Chris Mayne - ?? ???? 1989, 182cm 84kg. Perth

"BoyFromTheWest: Another 1988 birth player who was injured last year but has smashed them in colts, reserves and league this year playing at half back, half forward or midfield. Genuine pace, markes well, excellent disposal skills and genuine at the ball. Will play seniors in 08.

"

"Sico17: One club has very keen eyes on Mayne especially and will not be happy if he has an increased profile. I was surprised he didn't get into the U18's, plays mainly at FF when I have seen him but pinch hits in the centre when Perth are under pressure. A strong body for his age and seems to be the true leader of the Perth colts. His field kicking is a problem but his goal accuracy has been fine when I have seen him, he kicked the first 4 goals straight against Subiaco earlier this year the week after Subiaco had beaten Swan Districts.

"

"dan.wg: I got to agree he's a really good player and was best on ground or close to it everytime I umpired him. Mainly played forward and is pretty good on the lead. Goal kicking didn't seem to be a problem. Rarely played in the center and I figure hes more suited as a leading target. Maybe questions about his temperament, but not too much a problem. Has a fairly good head about him.

"

"Sico: One club has very keen eyes on Mayne especially and will not be happy if he has an increased profile. I was surprised he didn't get into the U18's, plays mainly at FF when I have seen him but pinch hits in the centre when Perth are under pressure. A strong body for his age and seems to be the true leader of the Perth colts. His field kicking is a problem but his goal accuracy has been fine when I have seen him, he kicked the first 4 goals straight against Subiaco earlier this year the week after Subiaco had beaten Swan Districts.

"

"dan.wg: I got to agree he's a really good player and was best on ground or close to it everytime I umpired him. Mainly played forward and is pretty good on the lead. Goal kicking didn't seem to be a problem. Rarely played in the center and I figure hes more suited as a leading target. Maybe questions about his temperament, but not too much a problem. Has a fairly good head about him.

"

Tom McNarmara - 29 April 1990, 189cm 84kg. SA/South Adelaide/Happy Valley

"Alan McConnell: McNarmara was at half-back and probably played his best game. He's an AIS boy and it was probably the best game I've seen him play. It was not ideal conditions for him because he's a running half-back who likes to get handball receives and carry the footy. He's an athlete and he won plenty of the ball in conditions that didn't suit him.

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Couch Coach : 19th October 2007 at 08:16.

Couch Coach

View Public Profile

Find More Posts by Couch Coach

18th October 2007, 17:10 #67

Couch Coach

BigFooty Member

Club: Collingwood

Re: Consolidated Draft Profiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Callan Ward - 10 April 1990, 183cm 71kg. Vic Metro/Western/Spotswood

"Mjp: Bottom age player who made the Vic Metro side, before injuring his knee in game one. Before that, he showed an ability in the second half of that match to 'adapt' to the increased pace of the game (after looking at sea early) and was trusted by the coaches with kick-in duties.

A fantastic reader of the play, he has played forward, midfield and back at TAC level and is regularly amongst the best players (regardless of role).

And to the love and joy of all Dogs supporters, he comes from Spotswood, just a short march from the Whitten Oval!

Please feel free to ignore this one if I have been replaced as a selector! If not, this is how it all looks:

"

"Yarraville's Callan Ward was the Jets' stand-out in his comeback game from injury, starting on half-back before pushing forward in the second half.

The bottom-aged Vic Metro representative's ball usage was so good that on occasions it even surprised his coaches.

``I remember one time where he ran with the ball and ignored a couple of teammates who were on short, so I was wondering where he was going with that,'' Sexton said.

``He then kicked it long to a player who was running into space towards goal, showing how good his vision is.''

"

"Callan Ward continued his tremendous run of form with 19 possessions and two goals, while Melton's Mitchell Banner had 33 touches and provided great run, for the Jets with his 12 handball receives.

"

"Weever: Ward started the year in the backline as a Bowden-like possesion gathering backman. Was fringe-Vic Metro, was one that was obviously going to be one to watch, but perhaps one for next year (being bottom aged). Kicked well, moved well, showed promise, but not quite there yet. Was going to be in pick 60-70 consideration as a club pinched him out of next year's draft.

As the season went on he got bigger (maybe 2-4cms), he got heavier (maybe 6-7kg). He shaved his head and went to the HFF line. He had the occasional run on the ball.

We went from a player who let the game come to him, to being a guy who would get frustrated when his team struggled and would Hird-like put himself on the ball, snatch a clearance, kick a goal (not comparing him to Hird as a player ... just that tendancy to take the game into his own hands).

By end of season he is a 185cm ruck-rover in the making. Effectively playing CHF for Western and being a one-man band at times. Shining out over the others with his marking, his attack on the ball and long kicking.

Often times what jumps a guy up the order is not 'talent' which is about as far as many people break it down. What Ward was showing was a willingness to take the game on, a willingness to take on the challenge of lifting his team.

Plenty of blokes (like Joel Bowden) take whatever the game offers them. They go to the loose man, they run where there is open space etc. Not too many make the game and try to shape the game to their will.

Ward may be a flop but his rate of improvement this season was gigantic. The draft is about where a bloke will get to in 4 years and although Ward is half a lap behind some of the 'guns' he is going at 5 secs a lap quicker than 'em. The AFL clubs won't miss that.

"

Couch Coach

View Public Profile

Find More Posts by Couch Coach

19th October 2007, 08:34 #68

Couch Coach

BigFooty Member

Club: Collingwood

Re: Consolidated Draft Profiles

Luke Stanton - 8 January 1990, 191cm 79kg. Northern Knights/Eltham

"KEAF: Luke Stanton really a good player, also knows how to position himself around goals very nicely, has great foot skills, a natural born talent, even thought people have doubted him, i think Stanton is definitely up there in getting drafted. Not many players have such talent, with the left foot so damaging. Player to watch!

"

"Mav: I'm surprised that Luke Stanton wasn't invited. He's a 191 cm Northern Knight who played Wing and maybe flanks. Looks like a younger and smaller Luke Darcy - athletic and imposing build. He was last-named of the best in the Northern Knights' win in the first final, and was 3rd on the best players list in the PF they lost. Seems to be quite well skilled, and has that self-assuredness bordering on arrogance of a youngster who has been among the best players throughout his junior footy.

Others have noted he hasn't really physically imposed himself on contests, which appears to be true, but he's bottom-aged (DOB 08/01/90) so should develop well.

Maybe he'll be invited to the State Screening.

"

"Blakey_34: Luke Stanton goes to my school and plays 1st, can play but not all the times, cousin of Nick Dal Santo, and plays like him a bit with poise, good mark, somtimes contested not often, and perfect build for a footy player.

"

"Mav: Thanks SEC. I reckon Stanton must be on someone's radar, and I'd be amazed if he didn't at least make it onto a rookie list - 17 yo 191 cm mids are worth a close look. If a recruiter thinks that he might be a smokie that no one else wants, the last thing he'd do is to nominate him for Draft Camp and show him off to other recruiters. Hopefully WH is interested, and you'd have to say Stanton has the build to attract WH's interest.

"