TJ in Brisbane undergoing a medical

deeboy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To simply simplify it down and say 'what has pick 14 netted?' is a bit too narrow, Brock.

We snagged Jones with pick 12 a couple of years ago, and it's hardly drawing too long a bow to suggest that we may be able to pick up another player of his talent 2 spots later. Pick 14 is certainly not a bad pick, even if it is a weak draft (sylvinator, i'm just repeating what others have said, do not kill me). There is still plenty of talent at the top end.

Welcome to Demonland, btw.

So its TJ for Pick 14.

Hard to wrap my head around.

Take it.

It's a top 15 pick for a bloke who is talent without dedication. He's 28.

Travis will always be welcome back to the club he played so many frustrating games with.

When his career with Brisbane is finished of course...

Hey Guys,

I've been a long time reader but first time poster. Just had to post my thoughts on this topic, even though you guys will probably try and rip shreds through me for doing so. I am so glad that another demon fan out there shares my sentiments, been such a depressing few days and it seemed to be like that for myself alone until reading this post. Everyone's draft pick happy but what quality has pick 14 netted clubs since 2000 other than Daniel Harris for the kangaroos in '02? The others are ok players at best, delisted hacks in a number of cases.

And we're getting pick 14 in a supposedly weak draft after the first five or six selections? Tell you what, we won't be picking up a Franklin or Judd with that pick. Along with a Daniel Ward clone from he filth? No thanks, I think I'd rather keep Johnstone rather than roll the dice on those picks. And why do the club refuse to trade Miller and Jamar? I was really happy with the attitude the club had until now but the last week or so has started to indicate things might be going downhill again. Sorry guys, but just don't share your enthusiasm at this point in time. Sure, Trapper hasn't lived up to his potential but there are very few at the club that have of late.

Deestroy08, at least one other demon definitely DOES feel the same way.

BTW Yze magic, Trapper a lazy [censored]? That's a disappointing call to make on anyone that's given the club 10 years of their footballing life. When did you pull a jumper on last? And if this is Travis how would you classify Yze?

Welcome to the site. Your sentiments are indeed noble but in my opinion a little off the mark. There's been so many countless numbers of good draft picks taken late in drafts, the fact that history shows pick 14 to be a dud counts for absolutely nothing. We all place our faith and trust in CAC to come up with the goods and he's done just that more times than he's failed during his tenure at MFC. What reason do we have to doubt him now?

The fact that Trappers on the way out is a touch saddening but if we really crave a shift of the complacent, undisciplined, inconsistent culture that has beset our club then I'm afraid its the likes of Trap that are going to have to be shown the door. He epitomises our mediocrity, flashes of brilliance, oodles of natural talent, but ultimately its turned out to be a whole heap of wasted potential. He's not a solid week in week out performer and has had 10 years to prove his worth to the club. 1 B&F and a couple of good finals games is hardly what we would have all hoped for from the #1 pick.

I'm sure many would reason that the new coach could work wonders with his talent and get him to pull his head in. However, in my opinion by putting trapper on the table, Bailey has already worked wonders in that its sent a message loud and clear to everyone on the MFC list that they don't have a divine right to pull on the red & blue. This is something that's going to have to be earned under Bailey and I think its a stroke of genius.

Having two first round picks is a great situation to be in. Don't look at previous draft history. There's a bucket load of good players in this draft, all they need is the right coaching, physical conditioning and development with some old fashioned good luck with injuries of course. I'm really hoping that we can snare a good tall with pick 14 (someone like Rance, Myers, Pears, Henderson, or Gourdis), theres a good chance that most of these could easily slip through to pick 14 and I'd be stoked with any of them at the club.

sorry Diablo.. i didnt see it!!

anyway moving on you seem like a passionate supporter like me...

im actually really annoyed at the thought of losing TJ for pik 14....

i have a bad feeling he might really turn into a gun to hurt us.. and he definitely has the ability to do so!!!

i would like pik 8.. or pik 14 and a player... eg, mcgrath, or a corrie or something.. nothing to over the top but someone that could do a little bit....

i have a bad feeling he might really turn into a gun to hurt us.. and he definitely has the ability to do so!!!

i would like pik 8.. or pik 14 and a player... eg, mcgrath, or a corrie or something.. nothing to over the top but someone that could do a little bit....

We'll see how it unfolds. Looks like pick 14, but with some wheeling and dealing, we may yet get pick 8 (possibly by adding a 3rd rounder or some such). I guess it'll be completed by this afternoon.

I'm sad to see him go, but we've had plenty of joy from picks 12-15 in the last few seasons, so I reckon we'll be able to secure somebody with plenty of promise.

Good point raised on 'ology. Brisbane getting pick 14 + a player (Rhys Shaw, I know, but still) for an untried ruckman. Us getting just pick 14 for a 200 gamer and recent B & F winner? Doesn't seem quite right...

Mind you TJ comes out of contract next year, doesn't he? I'd prefer to get something decent now , than nothing next year...

This is a list of players drafted at pick 14 to show approx value of this pick.

2001 - Ashley Watson

2002 - Daniel Bell

2003 - Fergus Watts

2004 - Angus Monfries

2005 - Grant Birchall

2006 - James Sellar

2001 - Ashley Watson

2002 - Daniel Bell

2003 - Fergus Watts

2004 - Angus Monfries

2005 - Grant Birchall

2006 - James Sellar

Very approximate I would suggest. Even so 3 of those players (Bell, Birchall, Monfries) look like they'll be decent footballers, and Sellar is only heading into his second year, so who knows what he may become.

Hey Guys,

I've been a long time reader but first time poster. Just had to post my thoughts on this topic, even though you guys will probably try and rip shreds through me for doing so. I am so glad that another demon fan out there shares my sentiments, been such a depressing few days and it seemed to be like that for myself alone until reading this post. Everyone's draft pick happy but what quality has pick 14 netted clubs since 2000 other than Daniel Harris for the kangaroos in '02? The others are ok players at best, delisted hacks in a number of cases.

And we're getting pick 14 in a supposedly weak draft after the first five or six selections? Tell you what, we won't be picking up a Franklin or Judd with that pick. Along with a Daniel Ward clone from he filth? No thanks, I think I'd rather keep Johnstone rather than roll the dice on those picks. And why do the club refuse to trade Miller and Jamar? I was really happy with the attitude the club had until now but the last week or so has started to indicate things might be going downhill again. Sorry guys, but just don't share your enthusiasm at this point in time. Sure, Trapper hasn't lived up to his potential but there are very few at the club that have of late.

Deestroy08, at least one other demon definitely DOES feel the same way.

BTW Yze magic, Trapper a lazy [censored]? That's a disappointing call to make on anyone that's given the club 10 years of their footballing life. When did you pull a jumper on last? And if this is Travis how would you classify Yze?

fair post, but i am looking at it like this. johnstone has 3 years left in him. ok he might get a couple more, but he will be on the way out. any player we pick up have a potential 10 extra years with us than TJ does (18 yo compared to 28yo). yes there is a chance this player will be a dud. but there is also only a chance that tj would rip it up next year. given that our window isnt in the next 2-3 years (when we could get the most out of trapper), the decision to select an 18 yo who would join the current under 23 brigade in our question to win a flag makes a lot of sense. we are setting ourselves up for a decade of success, not for short term success. while i would love pick 8, i'll take 14 if thats all we can get...

2001 - Ashley Watson

2002 - Daniel Bell

2003 - Fergus Watts

2004 - Angus Monfries

2005 - Grant Birchall

2006 - James Sellar

That method is also putting too much weight on one single teams recruiting performance. If you back our recruiting dept to make a smart choice and use this pick wisely then here is another way of looking at it. Players taken after pick 14 in each of those years (and who therefore would have been available for us to pick):

2001 - James Kelly, Gram, Maguire, Seaby, Steve Johnson, Ladson

2002 - Rivers, Staker, Ebert, Kade Simpson, Gilham, Troy Selwood, Merrett

2003 - Adcock, Chaplin, Mundy, Moody, Nash, Symes, Buchanan

2004 - Monfries, Dunn, Wood, Bate, Polo, Rusling, Van Berlo, Rosa, Prismall, Le Cras, NEWTON :), Sherman

2005 - Birchall, Varcoe, Douglas, Muston (will be a GUN!), Hooper, Swallow, Gilbert, Rob Warnock, Simon Buckley, Bartram - plenty of others but too early to tell

2006 - Mitch Brown (WC), Hampson, Jetta, Petterd, Proud - also too early but there are a lot of players who look like they will make it and become very good players

Plenty of players who will go on and give there clubs fantastic service for 10 years and would be very adequate players for 3 or so years of TJ

I do understand your point of view as well Deanox. Time and whoever we get at selection 14 will tell if this decision is ultimately the correct one. Pick 8 would have been somewhat easier to swallow, especially if that's what Tarrant was worth last year. Still pretty sad for me to see Trapper go.

Thanks for the welcome Leucopogon and Diablo!

Great post Brock, one of the best i have read...by the way, don't expect to get a sensible response from a [censored] like Yze Magic.

Just to clear up some things with this draft, the top 6 are meant to be very good but it's pretty deep down to 30, after that it thins out.

That could easily be applied to any draft.

There is so much overhype on a "strong" draft or "weak" draft.

Most of it is assessed on the first 8 to 10 then gets misquoted ad infinitum on footy sites.

Trapper a lazy [censored]? That's a disappointing call to make on anyone that's given the club 10 years of their footballing life. When did you pull a jumper on last? And if this is Travis how would you classify Yze?

Ignore Y_m's pre pubescent crassness, BL.

Trapper is talented but lazy footballer. Over 10 years at the club, no one doubts his ability but he has underdelivered on that talent big time. His record is mediocre for a No 1 pick and we all know how he can play. He just does not deliver on the talent bank.

We did the right thing cashing in on him now while he has some value. I would have done three years ago. So what woud you have done in 12 months with TJ on his current form. Resign him for $400,000 p.a. or let him wander off on the PSD.

By the way dont get me started on Yze. He makes TJ look like Brett Kirk. I would have flicked him years ago.