My 2008 blueprint

Yze_Magic

It is plainly obvious that he isn't not talented. Just lacks confidence in his ability after a few bad games which turned into alot of bad games. It happens to alot of players, but as soon as they get their confidence up they become quite good.

And if he doesn't get any better? You have missed your chance to get atleast something out of him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of those trades are biased. There is just no way of them happening. You can't get quality players by giving up a large quantity of unproven players. I know you cant do this..but if we offered West coast Brad Miller, Mar Jamar, Godfrey, Ward, Holland, Bizzell and Nathan Brown for Chris Judd..than the Eagles would say no...because none of those players would make WCE's starting 22 anyway...so their on field playing team is worse.

all of those trades are biased. There is just no way of them happening. You can't get quality players by giving up a large quantity of unproven players. I know you cant do this..but if we offered West coast Brad Miller, Mar Jamar, Godfrey, Ward, Holland, Bizzell and Nathan Brown for Chris Judd..than the Eagles would say no...because none of those players would make WCE's starting 22 anyway...so their on field playing team is worse.

i think people are under valuing Brad Miller of the Afl trade market.

of coarse he isnt worth much! obviously! however, he could be a legitimate sweetener to a deal, and a few clubs would look at him for a 3rd round pick.

Miller= 194cm strong, athlete, extermely hard working key position player. 70 games experience at only 22 years old. he has shown (vs fremantle elimination final, and his first 2-3 season of afl) that he has some of the attributes to be moulded into a good player undert the right envt.

i honestly believe miller could become a good player at a different club. he just doesnt fit into our team and because he's been in and out of the seniors he has now lost all touch.

most clubs would see something in miller.

- also...bruce is 28. he has no leadership skills, and despite being a fantastic footballer, his possessions do NOT hurt the opposition. he is, however, extremely highly rated in afl circles as an elite footballer and thus has trade value. i would much rather pick 5 in the draft to get an 18 yr old potential captain/star than bruce considering we will not be vying for a premiership in the next 2 years.

Not getting Kepler Bradley may be the thing that gets Sheedy over the line as MFC coach!! NO value for MFC in getting a back player who cant hit a target!

as well as bringing in some extra size with the versatile Kepler Bradley, who is out of favour at Essendon.

There is a reason that Kepler is out of favour at Essendon, and it's because he's no bloody good.

And how does Melbourne get pick 3? Win against Carlton and you have pick 4, lose to the Blues, and you get pick 2.

And how did Essendon get pick 5? Did we already do a trade with Fremantle or the Bulldogs to gain this selection?

Without picks 3 & 5, your plan doesn't work.

i think people are under valuing Brad Miller of the Afl trade market.

of coarse he isnt worth much! obviously! however, he could be a legitimate sweetener to a deal, and a few clubs would look at him for a 3rd round pick.

Miller= 194cm strong, athlete, extermely hard working key position player. 70 games experience at only 22 years old.

No they're not.

He was drafted at pick 55 and has done little to suggest he should have gone earlier.

As I asked before and did not get an answer.... which Clubs would legitimately look at a player with little football smarts, an inconsistent kick and being unable to take a contested mark. Hardly a legitimate sweetener. Gee this site overrates MFC players

If we got a 3rd round pick. I would take it in a flash.

He has had six years in the system and cant nail a game in a bottom dwelling club. BTW he is 24yo. He is at the cross roads.

Nah, I don't think it's necessary to trade Bruce.

In fact, to be honest, I think we'll be pretty quiet this trade period - maybe Ferguson for an upgrade from pick higher 30ish to pick lower 30ish.

I'd take the year to see if some of the undeniable potential stars can deliver under a new coach.

We have a steady stream of 'natural' delistings coming for this year and next, I'd say five a year for two years.

Unless a really good opportunity presented, I will always prefer stability so long as people understand their own limitations - if those senior players who drive us mad aren't stepping up again pretty damn soon, they should have a whole lot less payments coming there way... to make room under the cap for Judd (or any similar superstar quality player, Judd is just everyone's favourite speculation).

As I asked before and did not get an answer.... which Clubs would legitimately look at a player with little football smarts, an inconsistent kick and being unable to take a contested mark. Hardly a legitimate sweetener. Gee this site overrates MFC players

He has had six years in the system and cant nail a game in a bottom dwelling club. BTW he is 24yo. He is at the cross roads.

I think you're discounting the ability of a new coach to teach him how to play a role, particularly when he has had only one coach (not counting the current caretaker) his entire AFL career.

Early 3rd round (pre-40) should be considered, anything 2nd round should be accepted otherwise I'd have thought a new coach may want a year to see if he can turn him into a player

No they're not.

He was drafted at pick 55 and has done little to suggest he should have gone earlier.

God you weird me out Rhino.... How do you know any better than everyone else if Miller has value. How do you know opposition fans and teams don't rate him?

I here all the time from people at work, why aren't you guys play Miller?

Family members who go for other teams say you need Miller in that side.

When I explain he hasn't been playing very well they say yeah cause he doesn't get a go, you can't come into a team one week and your confidence is there, give him a couple and he will be alright. If you don't want him, we'll take him. I hope we get him somehow over the off-season, would really help.

I hear all this from supporters of other teams.

The Dogs could use him to bolster their small Forward line.

Brisbane could use him to compliment an ageing Daniel Bradshaw.

I remember hearing Mark Williams of Port Adelaide say he rates him really high as one of the best leading forwards in the league. Port have a small, very young midfield. They could use him.

Everyone on here may not know the exact truth but either do you, we don't over rate. We listen to other people opinions.

God you weird me out Rhino.... How do you know any better than everyone else if Miller has value. How do you know opposition fans and teams don't rate him?

I here all the time from people at work, why aren't you guys play Miller?

Family members who go for other teams say you need Miller in that side.

When I explain he hasn't been playing very well they say yeah cause he doesn't get a go, you can't come into a team one week and your confidence is there, give him a couple and he will be alright. If you don't want him, we'll take him. I hope we get him somehow over the off-season, would really help.

I hear all this from supporters of other teams.

The Dogs could use him to bolster their small Forward line.

Brisbane could use him to compliment an ageing Daniel Bradshaw.

I remember hearing Mark Williams of Port Adelaide say he rates him really high as one of the best leading forwards in the league. Port have a small, very young midfield. They could use him.

Everyone on here may not know the exact truth but either do you, we don't over rate. We listen to other people opinions.

Well said demons 32...

none of know how other club recruiters will access our players, we can only speculate.

I strongly think that Miller, with a bit of clever coaching and hard work, could become a really good player for another club. i see the Western Bulldogs as a good fit, they could really use a big bodies, strong leading forward at CHF to help with their quick, lean running players. Port Adelaide is another one. Tredrea is declining, and i see Miller as a better version of Damon White.

i reckon we could be offered a 3rd rounder would be fair (around pick 40ish) and would be a win-win for both clubs. Miller has no place in our current structure and has been taken over by Bate, Newton and Sylvia as hard leading half forward flankers.

On Miller, don't be surprised if at least one club makes an inquiry on him. I'm not saying we'll get something good but I've heard that the doggies may be interested.

Quite possibly. I would agree. But I was curious why everyone had him pinned to Brisbane.

Quite possibly. I would agree. But I was curious why everyone had him pinned to Brisbane.

people have him pinned to Brisbane bc he is a QLDer and was captain of Qld under 18 team...maybe he would like to head home, or maybe Brisbane would like to have a homegrown talent added to their list if they see him making a contribution.

Brisbane this year have really only had J.Brown as a big bodied forward this year. Brennan has been played their with inconsistent success, but with Brown being forced to play closer to goal, perhaps they could use Miller 80m from goal...

who knows...though i tend to agree it doesnt seem that Brisbane really need him...Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs with their current structure seem better fits to me

Bruce will not be traded. I think that he is still contracted for another two seasons. We cant afford to pay that out.

How will we be paying it out of we trade him?

Rather than forming our own......

By listening to other supporters and Melbourne fans opinions you form your own.

Taking in what is being said, what facts there are of other teams lists. Not just cause you don't like someone, but because you have listened to what people have to say. And learnt something.

people have him pinned to Brisbane bc he is a QLDer and was captain of Qld under 18 team...maybe he would like to head home, or maybe Brisbane would like to have a homegrown talent added to their list if they see him making a contribution.

Brisbane this year have really only had J.Brown as a big bodied forward this year. Brennan has been played their with inconsistent success, but with Brown being forced to play closer to goal, perhaps they could use Miller 80m from goal...

who knows...though i tend to agree it doesnt seem that Brisbane really need him...Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs with their current structure seem better fits to me

if we get Sheedy...Bruce will be going NO WHERE. Essendon nearly had Bruce a few years ago. Sheedy would keep him.

Also on Demonolgoy it is said that Nathan Brown to retire at the end of the season.

I think you're discounting the ability of a new coach to teach him how to play a role, particularly when he has had only one coach (not counting the current caretaker) his entire AFL career.

Early 3rd round (pre-40) should be considered, anything 2nd round should be accepted otherwise I'd have thought a new coach may want a year to see if he can turn him into a player

No. Not at all.

A coach can develop basic skill sets but he cannot teach what a person does not instinctly have and at 24 Miller is getting long in the tooth.

If we were offered a early 3rd or 2nd round we should take it before the other party could change its mind.

The reason you choose a player is what they can do for your list. Its hard to see where Miller would offer that Brisbane anything. WB is a possibility.

This blueprint is really dependent upon the appointment of the coach. Hardwick or Bailey will mean that the club sees itself in serious rebuild mode(not a premiership chance for up to 5 years) in which case, a la Hawthorn and Clarkson, everyone will be on the table for trade.

If the club goes for Sheedy (or Connolly) then I think you probably won't see a lot of action on the trade front. To trade Bruce for a first round pick would mean that you would lose a genuinely good player who can make an immediate contribution for somebody who wouldn't be at their peak for about 3 years. Sheeds couldn't wait that long! I reckon our list, when up and running isn't in bad shape and is certainly good enough to play finals next year. Just a bit of luck can make a finals spot into a top 4 spot and from there anything can happen. We have quite a solid core of 24-28 year olds and it is that bracket which generally win you the big games. The only over 30's who would be certain selections next season would be Neitz, White and Junior (I think Sheedy would find room for a fit and motivated Yze). Our 22 and unders are quite strong - Bate, McLean, Jones, Sylvia, Dunn, Newton, Frawley, Petterd should play a lot of footy next year. They all have plenty of natural improvement in them. Rivers back plus better seasons with injuryfrom Trapper, Bruce, Whelan, Robbo etc and I really believe a quick rebound is a strong possibility.

I don't think we can afford to bottom out, clean out and rebuild for 3 years. The Hawks did that, but I believe the jury is still out on them. History is littered with promising teams who were built from draft choices (St Kilda being the best recent example) but never went on with it. I refer you to the last 15 premiership teams. 5 are Victorian - Essendon twice, North twice and Carlton once - none rebuilt via plenty of top ten draft picks. Mainly done through astute trading. The interstate sides likewise. The Swans haven't had good picks since before Eades time but have only missed the finals a couple of times in the last 12 years.

We need to consolidate our list, develop from within and have a real crack over the next year or two. If not the 70% turnover in admin staff we have had over the last 13 months may also be applied to the playing list!

You do!

Nothing like watching the game! B)

Yes me, you and most of Australia watch the game. Thats how we discuss, thats how we know what supporters of other teams think. And how you get an opinion on if other teams and supporters are interested in Brad Miller.

A coach can develop basic skill sets but he cannot teach what a person does not instinctly have and at 24 Miller is getting long in the tooth.

I disagree.

Good coaching is the difference between 'good' Miller and 'bad' Miller. When a side like Melbourne play pathetic chip around football where we constantly stop at half back and wait (like we have done for a majority of the last two years) the first person that is going to suffer is the hardleading CHF.

When we play direct football a bloke like Miller becomes very valuable. I reckon he would beat most quality CHBs on the lead.

Problem is coaching at our club has let Miller down, not to mention the way he was thrown back and forward. No wonder the bloke has lost all confidence.

Persist with Miller he is 24 years young (not long in the tooth Rhino, what a stupid thing to say considering the large number of 30+ on our list) and has the necessary skill and desire to make it. It is just up to the right coach to come in and make it happen.