How much better is Paul Johnson than Mark Jamar?

Yze_Magic

rediculous how he has improved his game.

last year he was like a 200cm [censored] cat, who was agile but couldnt ruck and couldnt take an overhead mark.

now he's a strong marking ruckman was can play forward and has beuatiful skills and great agility.

i like him

In the vacinity of 1,000,000,000,000 - 2,400,000,000,000 times better. Somewhere around those figures.

I would say thats a fair estimate.

Seriously, it is a delight to watch PJ's progress this year. At the moment, he is almost the most improved player at the club.

It's great to see him improve his game.

I'm a fan of Jamar as well, and it's now up to him to lift again, and keep improving!

White won't be around forever, so there is a place for both of them at the club IMO.

There is no way known you would get rid of Jamar.........look at Collingwoods feeble ruck duo today of Fraser and Bryan (ex Carlton).

Ive thought it for a while that Johnson was a fair beter ruckman.... Jamar`s hasn`t got too much of a football brain IMO.. PJ works alot harder around the ground aswell.

Yze Magic - you and I have been long term supporters and advocates of PJ - and today was our vindication in a small way.

That being said, we need Jamar to get back on the bike - we must have all three of them pushing for the two ruck positions.

Gawd - the Federal Government should open up a free dental clinic whenever Collingwood plays.

Biffinator.

It's great to see him improve his game.

I'm a fan of Jamar as well, and it's now up to him to lift again, and keep improving!

White won't be around forever, so there is a place for both of them at the club IMO.

There is no way known you would get rid of Jamar.........look at Collingwoods feeble ruck duo today of Fraser and Bryan (ex Carlton).

Spot on 'Real Demon'.

Let's not forget that a fit and confident Jamar was doing a far better job in the ruck last year than JW and also jumping over packs to take marks; something I am yet to see PJ do.

I think it will take Whitey to retire before we will see the best of both PJ and Jamar.

They are both completely different, which is why they will work so well together.

Go Dees - and Go Blues (one more win and they lose their priority pick. Haha)

Very good hands today by PJ. I was impressed. I always thought Jamar with more game time could have been quite good also, but the cards at this stage have fallen PJ's way...that's AFL footy I guess. Jamar would probably benefit from more game time at another club.

What is it with MFC breeding good ruckmen??? (Simmonds, Jolly)

He did win a liston trophy after all. A better player than Jamar in every facet of the game and he will get better. We need to promote Neaves ahead of Jamar in due course. The future is not with Jamar once White retires.

I've been one of PJ's biggest fans for a while now... Seeing him dominate in the VFL a few times in '05 (and like Pello said, eventually win the Liston that year), i was always thinking why is ND still persisting with Jamar when we have Johnson waiting in the wings?

It, for me, was just so clear that he would be better than Jamar given THE SAME amount of game time, the same opportunities. His skill set is so superior to Jamar's it's not even funny. Now that he is getting his chance, he is grabbing it with both hands (and high above his ahead :lol: ). And the issue of his overhad marking looks well and truly resolved. IMO, was always probably more of a confidence issue than anything... I remember watching Luke Darcy early in his career and thinking the guy couldnt catch a ball if it were a trout at a farm, but it goes to show that when ur that tall, confidence in marking situations is all above the shoulders (pardon the pun).

Would have been nice if he'd slotted one of those 2 shots today in the 1st, but he did look very nice in the forward line on the lead.

He's only gonna get better too... really does give us some hope for our 1st ruck posi after White goes.

I wrote this last week in the "Poll: Second Ruckman" post, and i think it's a fair bit relevant here. My little cuz would be wrapped with PJ's game today i'm sure....

I went to visit my 10-year-old cousin today, and being a young Melbourne supporter (no influence from me there.. hehe ), i asked him what he thought of the game on Saturday. He was so wrapped, and it really made me truly happy to see the passion in his young 'Demon' eyes. Reminded me of my younger days following the Dee's.

But one thing in particular that he said really stuck out in my mind.

He told me his new favorite player was Paul Johnson.

I asked him why, and he said "because i'm a ruckman too" (which he is in the Under 11's, and not a bad one either!), and that he "loved the way he marked the ball in defence all those times in the last quarter, and won a lot of taps!"

I gotta say, even I was really gobsmacked. I'm probably PJ's biggest supporter on here, and i had absolutely no influence in him making his decision about that (honestly). His former favorite player was David Neitz, whom he said he still loved, but now is "getting too old" (his words, not mine! ), and he reckons PJ will be around for a long time still.

PJ must really have gotten a whole lot better overhead and in the ruck, considering even my little cuz is noticing his strong marking and rucking!

It's funny how little kids notice these things, in their own innocent little way. It was great...

Guest baysidedave
I would say approximately 1 million times better

Your thoughts?

Jamar will only get another run if White or Johnson get injured , even then they should try someone else, how the hell Jamar has played as many games as he has is mindboggling