What an absolute disaster this off season has turned into.

Leaks to the media on a daily basis.

Players being disgruntled.

Lack of clear and honest communication from the Melbourne Football Club.

Allegations of the Melbourne CEO sounding out clubs to see if they are interested in Clayton Oliver in contrast to the views of the coaching panel and Simon Goodwin.

It has been an absolute mess and we are the laughing stock of the AFL after a mere 3 years since our Premiership in 2021.

Sadly, I think it is time for Gary Pert to either resign or be sacked. I say this with a heavy heart as I thought Gary Pert was doing a good job. But it seems like I am wrong.

Gary Pert came to the Demons to become our CEO after 10 years at the Collingwood Football Club. He did a lot of good work there. But there were rumours from Magpies supporters telling us that Gary Pert meddles too much with football related issues. Myself, and many others ignored this scuttlebutt.

In many ways Gary Pert has done an excellent job. He helped the Demons end their 57 year Premiership drought after the internal football department review at the end of 2020. Gary Pert helped us get our membership numbers up to well over 65,000+ which is amazing. He also helped us finally make progress with the Home Base to hopefully be built at Caulfield Racecourse (if everything goes to plan).

However, there has now been lingering cultural issues that have been festering. Some of these relate to individuals and topics we cannot speak of here. But we all know what they are.

This has been a dark shadow hanging over the Melbourne Football Club and something which will eventually all come out like "opening a can of worms" in the future impending court cases. Of course, I won't say anymore.

Anyway, the main thing is that we have had a horrible 12 months at the Melbourne Football Club. Our second straight sets finals losses in 2022 and then 2023.

We also had the much publicised dramas around Clayton Oliver and his behaviours. Then the possibility of him being traded. Which fortunately did not occur at the time.

Season 2024 started with the suspension of a player for reasons we cannot discuss here.

Then the forced retirement of one of the Melbourne Demons leaders and comradery promoters in Angus Brayshaw after almost getting killed by that vile Magpie thug Brayden Maynard.

Then during the season we lost Christian Petrracca to a serious injury, ironically, also against the Magpies.

Due to injuries and poor form we tumbled down to an embarrassing 14th on the ladder.

Once the season concluded we then heard rumours about Christian Petracca being disgruntled and wanting to leave the Club. Fortunately, this was resolved (for the time being).

But you had our former President Kate Roffey make a total fool of herself in a disastrous radio interview. Who admitted to not talking to our star player Christian Petracca much or his family?! Not long after that Kate Roffey resigned.

Now of course Gary Pert isn't responsible for all of this as Melbourne Football Club CEO. I did mention that he did a lot of good things.

What irked me the most was the illusion that "everything was fine" at the Melbourne Football Club and the culture was the best it had been for years! This was deceitful in my opinion. Especially due to the various controversies that cannot be mentioned here.

Further to this why would the CEO in Gary Pert be independently asking AFL Clubs if they were interested in trading for Clayton Oliver?! Especially if the coach in Simon Goodwin wants to keep Clayton Oliver at the Demons! Shouldn't we try to keep a generational talent like Clayton Oliver and work through his issues? Just like the Tigers did with Dustin Martin or like the Giants did with Toby Greene?

It really has been an absolute train wreck publicly for the Melbourne Football Club. The media have been like vultures gleefully picking at us. Even so-called Melbourne supporters like Tom Morris have been quite pernicious in their behaviour reporting the Club.

I think the best course of action now is for Gary Pert to resign as CEO after the Melbourne Demons Best & Fairest.

That way, he can leave with some dignity and we can hopefully salvage things with Clayton Oliver (as well as Christian Petracca) and then start things fresh. It will also make sure that the independent review being done for the Melbourne Football Club is indeed independent.

Mark my words, the Melbourne Demons would be better cutting away the dead wood now if we are going to start again fresh in season 2025. Anyway, we shall see what interim President Brad Green and the Melbourne Football Club Board does next I guess? The ball is now in their court to make some important decisions and give proper explanations to us as Melbourne members.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

35 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

What an absolute disaster this off season has turned into.

Leaks to the media on a daily basis.

Players being disgruntled.

Lack of clear and honest communication from the Melbourne Football Club.

Allegations of the Melbourne CEO sounding out clubs to see if they are interested in Clayton Oliver in contrast to the views of the coaching panel and Simon Goodwin.

It has been an absolute mess and we are the laughing stock of the AFL after a mere 3 years since our Premiership in 2021.

Sadly, I think it is time for Gary Pert to either resign or be sacked. I say this with a heavy heart as I thought Gary Pert was doing a good job. But it seems like I am wrong.

Gary Pert came to the Demons to become our CEO after 10 years at the Collingwood Football Club. He did a lot of good work there. But there were rumours from Magpies supporters telling us that Gary Pert meddles too much with football related issues. Myself, and many others ignored this scuttlebutt.

In many ways Gary Pert has done an excellent job. He helped the Demons end their 57 year Premiership drought after the internal football department review at the end of 2020. Gary Pert helped us get our membership numbers up to well over 65,000+ which is amazing. He also helped us finally make progress with the Home Base to hopefully be built at Caulfield Racecourse (if everything goes to plan).

However, there has now been lingering cultural issues that have been festering. Some of these relate to individuals and topics we cannot speak of here. But we all know what they are.

This has been a dark shadow hanging over the Melbourne Football Club and something which will eventually all come out like "opening a can of worms" in the future impending court cases. Of course, I won't say anymore.

Anyway, the main thing is that we have had a horrible 12 months at the Melbourne Football Club. Our second straight sets finals losses in 2022 and then 2023.

We also had the much publicised dramas around Clayton Oliver and his behaviours. Then the possibility of him being traded. Which fortunately did not occur at the time.

Season 2024 started with the suspension of a player for reasons we cannot discuss here.

Then the forced retirement of one of the Melbourne Demons leaders and comradery promoters in Angus Brayshaw after almost getting killed by that vile Magpie thug Brayden Maynard.

Then during the season we lost Christian Petrracca to a serious injury, ironically, also against the Magpies.

Due to injuries and poor form we tumbled down to an embarrassing 14th on the ladder.

Once the season concluded we then heard rumours about Christian Petracca being disgruntled and wanting to leave the Club. Fortunately, this was resolved (for the time being).

But you had our former President Kate Roffey make a total fool of herself in a disastrous radio interview. Who admitted to not talking to our star player Christian Petracca much or his family?! Not long after that Kate Roffey resigned.

Now of course Gary Pert isn't responsible for all of this as Melbourne Football Club CEO. I did mention that he did a lot of good things.

What irked me the most was the illusion that "everything was fine" at the Melbourne Football Club and the culture was the best it had been for years! This was deceitful in my opinion. Especially due to the various controversies that cannot be mentioned here.

Further to this why would the CEO in Gary Pert be independently asking AowFL Clubs if they were interested in trading for Clayton Oliver?! Especially if the coach in Simon Goodwin wants to keep Clayton Oliver at the Demons! Shouldn't we try to keep a generational talent like Clayton Oliver and work through his issues? Just like the Tigers did with Dustin Martin or like the Giants did with Toby Greene?

It really has been an absolute train wreck publicly for the Melbourne Football Club. The media have been like vultures gleefully picking at us. Even so-called Melbourne supporters like Tom Morris have been qy k uite pernicious in their behaviour reporting the Club.

I think the best course of action now is for Gary Pert to resign as CEO after the Melbourne Demons Best & Fairest.

That way, he can leave with some dignity and we can hopefully salvage things with Clayton Oliver (as well as Christian Petracca) and then start things fresh. It will also make sure that the independent review being done for the Melbourne Football Club is indeed independent.

Mark my words, the Melbourne Demons would be better cutting away the dead wood now if we are going to start again fresh in season 2025. Anyway, we shall see what interim President Brad Green and the Melbourne Football Club Board does next I guess? The ball is now in their court to make some important decisions and give proper explanations to us as Melbourne members.

Another drama queen posting who thinks they know everything that's going on about the board and Club, becoming boring.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

iIf Pert has been shopping Clayton around he should be sacked. if he is doing it at the direction of the board they should be sacked.

What will happen at the AGM tomorrow

From way outside looking in, I'm rather ambivalent about what's happening at board level, but I do wonder how much we are attracting the attention of the AFL hierarchy. Not that we would hear of it, or need to.

Not much about our present circumstances instills me with confidence.

2 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

And why would a CEO be shopping him around it's a football department role on that people just wanting to blame Pert...

Regardless of his role in that particular debacle, probably the main expectation of a CEO is that they have the club as a whole running like a well oiled machine...which it ain't. 

As a result we can't attract available players to our club, and players don't want to be sent here as part of a trade. We've been set back a good 5 years I reckon and we need to start fresh and try to build up again before the bottom completely falls out. It's time to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rufus said:

Regardless of his role in that particular debacle, probably the main expectation of a CEO is that they have the club as a whole running like a well oiled machine...which it ain't. 

As a result we can't attract available players to our club, and players don't want to be sent here as part of a trade. We've been set back a good 5 years I reckon and we need to start fresh and try to build up again before the bottom completely falls out. It's time to go.

What rubbish show me where players don't want to come.

• Facepalm 1

Got the club to 65k/70k members - after a flag it was like shooting fish in a barrel. No great accomplishment.

Home based at Caulfield?? Still nothing on that front despite being told for years something was imminent. Strategic plan 2020-2023 was to commence building, we don't even have a funded project plan yet!

Flag in 2021, right place, right time. Hard work was done by PJ.

Meanwhile club leaks like a sieve, relationships fractured, culture shot, ongoing court cases, our two best midfielders since the 60s are alienated/want out, struggled to get sponsors on board despite a flag and two top 4 finishes, club comms are deplorable, supporters are taken for granted and no effort to engage us, build crowds etc two sub 20k crowds late in the season when still technically in contention.

He can't survive much longer, he is a dead man walking.

• Like 6

Again another rubbish post, blaming Pert for a home base is the hight of stupidity always had sponsors, ask supporters from other clubs about being taken for granted news flash they all do now you are saying it's Pert's fault for crowds, news flash he ain't coaching.

I don't care if he is there or not but at least have an intelligent discussion about facts not your dislike of him.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

44 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Another drama queen posting who thinks they know everything that's going on about the board and Club, becoming boring.

And you know all eh? 🙄

This is a discussion forum.

All we can do is speculate.

I am allowed an opinion just like everyone else. Tough luck if you don't like it.

I have been a Melbourne Demons member since 1998.

In the end, it's up to the Melbourne Football Club Board to sort this mess out.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Good on you for defending yourself Gary!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

And you know all eh? 🙄

I am allowed an opinion just like everyone else. Tough luck if you don't like it.

Speculate is correct, based on rumour, hearsay, clickbait media etc etc.

What mess?

• Facepalm 3

52 minutes ago, dpositive said:

iIf Pert has been shopping Clayton around he should be sacked. if he is doing it at the direction of the board they should be sacked.

What will happen at the AGM tomorrow

A bit early .BnF tomorrow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supreme_Demon said:

And you know all eh? 🙄

Yes it is a discussion forum that includes debating sensibly without slandering people with non facts, you have people who have just posted it's Pert's fault for not having a home base or shopping players around that's implying he going behind the football department it's just rubbish, by the way over my life I have been a member on and off over the time for about 57 years.

I agree the club will sort it out and maybe it's time or not but people need to take the emotional aspect out of it.

6 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

What mess?

Exactly, blame the media parasites.

I just don't wanna lose a star Demon and much beloved player in Clayton Oliver.

Richmond are losing 4 of their Premiership players and they are barely getting a mention in the media.

10 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

What mess?

Yeah nothing to see hear, club is run like a well oiled engine, meanies in the media making rumours up from thin air just because they hate us 🙄

What sort of nuffie actually believes this garbage? The club needs a cleanout top down, Goodwin is the only one I'm 50/50 on but the board, Pres, CEO, Richo all need to go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Exactly, blame the media parasites.

I just don't wanna lose a star Demon and much beloved player in Clayton Oliver.

Richmond are losing 4 of their Premiership players and they are barely getting a mention in the media.

Because the tigers need to reinvent the list and they have to do that because when Tassie comes in it will be a compromised draft that's why and it's smart, by the way I'm not against trading Oliver but I doubt it will happen for different reasons not anything to do with his health issues.

5 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Yes it is a discussion forum that includes debating sensibly without slandering people with non facts, you have people who have just posted it's Pert's fault for not having a home base or shopping players around that's implying he going behind the football department it's just rubbish, by the way over my life I have been a member on and off over the time for about 57 years.

I agree the club will sort it out and maybe it's time or not but people need to take the emotional aspect out of it.

Fair enough.

We all get emotional as we all love the Melbourne Football Club.

I just would be quite devastated if we lost Clayton Oliver, especially if it was for a mere pittance to Geelong.

Anyway, I guess we shall wait and see what happens at the Melbourne Demons Best & Fairest tomorrow evening and throughout the rest of the trade period.

Edited by Supreme_Demon