The Watch with Ben Gibson | Tom Morris

adonski

Just now, Binmans PA said:

I never said it was a crisis, but Trac has made it so much harder to have constructive and grown up conversations when he's been seen to be whinging about standards through media outlets, instead of having direct adult conversations, face to face with his peers.

Come on, I can't believe this is debatable.

The conversations wiill be exactly the same behind closed doors. 
Tracc has just put a little more emphasis on the situation 

i don’t see it as a whinge at all

2 hours ago, waynewussell said:

This year I have stopped listening to SEN and stopped watching 360 and On The Couch due to the continued 'pile on' directed at MFC. Prior to this, I listened to SEN religiously each morning and on my way to and from work. I was also a nightly viewer of Foxtel footy offerings. I think, over time, these productions will lose rusted on supporters as they tire of the current 'club in crisis' approach to gaining an audience. As ratings fall, so will the shows. We can only hope! 

It’s like looking in the mirror. 

1 hour ago, Gator said:

It's childish to attack Morris over a story that is clearly true.

Right now, Petracca would walk out of the club if he could.

Blaming Morris for shedding light on the story lacks intellect.

You should be grateful you've been informed.  Now it's in the open hopefully the right changes will be made.

So he’ll leave when things get tough? Great leadership. Jonesy should go down and have a chat with him. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The conversations wiill be exactly the same behind closed doors. 
Tracc has just put a little more emphasis on the situation 

i don’t see it as a whinge at all

If he wants things to change, then he has to be part of that change. 
I fully respect his choice to get away during the early stages of his injury, but you can’t have it both ways. 

You are either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem. Right now, he’s part of the problem because he’s dragged our club back into the headlines for all the wrong reasons. 
There are better ways to go about emphasizing your frustrations than throwing a match and watching things burn. 

• Like 5

Just now, Jaded No More said:

If he wants things to change, then he has to be part of that change. 
I fully respect his choice to get away during the early stages of his injury, but you can’t have it both ways. 

You are either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem. Right now, he’s part of the problem because he’s dragged our club back into the headlines for all the wrong reasons. 
There are better ways to go about emphasizing your frustrations than throwing a match and watching things burn. 

Disagree. When things go Public, they get sorted quickly 

A lot of this problem should have been sorted last year 

36 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

It is unfair to criticise a terrific player and clubman over this matter as there is still a question mark about Tracc's health.

He may simply feel too bloody crook and tired to enter the media fray.

We should withhold any judgements until the truth comes out. 

Wise words indeed, Uncle.

Sometimes these matters can turn a molehill into a mountain and create situations which cause rash decisions and actions beyond initial intentions.

I have no doubt Trac is unhappy about not only what happened re his injury but also how the club is faring... on and off the field. He wears his heart on his sleeve and sets high standards for himself.

Atm, he deserves some respect and the benefit of any doubt.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Disagree. When things go Public, they get sorted quickly 

A lot of this problem should have been sorted last year 

He is one player, a very good and important player, but he is not bigger than the club. 

Making things public may resolve things quicker, but at what cost?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

He may simply feel too bloody crook and tired to enter the media fray.

That seems a stretch considering how active he is on his socials on a daily basis. 

I fully respect the trauma he went thru and really feel for him. He’s clearly nowhere near 100% healthy and that’s really tough. 
Not sure how causing a media storm around yourself is conducive to recovery tho. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He is one player, a very good and important player, but he is not bigger than the club. 

Making things public may resolve things quicker, but at what cost?

No cost at all, if the right decisions are made

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No cost at all, if the right decisions are made

So you don’t think this whole thing has damaged the club’s reputation and potentially cost us trade deals? 

Moreover you don’t think there’s a lack of trust now between the players and Trac? 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 3

So you don’t think this whole thing has damaged the club’s reputation and potentially cost us trade deals? 

No, not at all. We are all frustrated and know things have to change 

The Media will have a new story by Saturday morning 

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

No, not at all. We are all frustrated and know things have to change 

The Media will have a new story by Saturday morning 

Sure, but what of the damage that’s been done between Trac and the club? And his teammates who aren’t possibly happy that he’s airing dirty laundry in public?

Gawn didn’t sound happy, and he’s the happiest and most positive player I know.

Breaking trust between teammates is often something that’s hard to repair. 

• Like 2

Sure, but what of the damage that’s been done between Trac and the club? And his teammates who aren’t possibly happy that he’s airing dirty laundry in public?

Gawn didn’t sound happy, and he’s the happiest and most positive player I know.

Breaking trust between teammates is often something that’s hard to repair. 

I saw Tracc at Training this week with his Teammates, with a big Smile on his face. I am not worried at all

Changes need to be made inside the Club 

If the Club doesn’t make changes, then i will be concerned 

• Like 1

My guess(why not, join the crowd) is that goody said look you're upset, don't comment just do you're own thing till end of season. He is doing that. Now that so much drama has developed over that, the club and/or tracc will make a statement when they believe it works for them. Maybe after a win tomorrow. It's not a molehill, neither is it a mountain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

We risk derailing this thread, but anyone that thinks playing this out through the media via his management was the right play and won't be corrosive with the playing group, has rocks in their head.

There are problems, but if you're a leader, you have the conversations internally and demand change internally.

If Trac were a team mate of mine and I was in the leadership group, I'd be having some pretty strong conversations with him.

What if he already has and nothing has happened?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

I don’t think people would be so anti Morris if he didn’t have a long list of priors.

What you personally think of an individual, doesn’t change the veracity of their reporting. Sure, you can argue (wrongly, in my opinion), what he’s reporting isn’t correct, but to dismiss reporting because a personal matter is nothing less than puerile. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What if he already has and nothing has happened?

I've already covered this.

You get the leadership group together and you voice the concerns with management in the FD. 

If it was raised in the past and it hasn't been addressed, and has clearly derailed us, the conversations need to be more forceful. Not more manipulative.and external.

And that's all I'll say on this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redlegged said:

The real issue is what exactly is the nature of Petracca's beef with Melbourne? I have no real idea other than its somehow bound up with (or was exacerbated by) his K's B injury. Whatever it is, the challenge is on to resolve it. I'm ignoring Jordan Lewis's [censored] about players with 'agendas'.

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with his injury. I would have thought a combination of the game plan along with players not demonstrating the required level of professionalism due to other factors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

I've already covered this.

You get the leadership group together and you voice the concerns with management in the FD. 

If it was raised in the past and it hasn't been addressed, and has clearly derailed us, the conversations need to be more forceful. Not more manipulative.and external.

And that's all I'll say on this.

Apologies I’ve just finished a massive week so have not read as much as I normally would have.

Petracca comes across as an intelligent & articulate operator. He would have been fully aware of the consequences of his actions. There’s more at play here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

Me too.

I had him as a leader of the football club, perhaps the next captain, and said as much before this story broke.

But he's shown he shouldn't be the captain with this.

Which is another reason he may actually be on the way out. 

The players & coaches need to get together and sort out their differences

What the actual issues are is anyone's guess but it might be game plan related, personality clashes or whatever

But I can't see any of Viney, Petracca or Oliver leaving anyway

Viney is just too much of a Demon and the big money contracts may well scare off most clubs for Petracca & Oliver (and I highly doubt whether we'd be interested in paying any part salaries elsewhere) Damaged goods doesn't attract top dollar

And that's without factoring in a fair trade coming back our way

In effect, the long term deals tie both Petracca & Oliver to the club as any trade would probably see the club come off 2nd best

Hopefully both players act like pro's and get on with it

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gator said:

It's childish to attack Morris over a story that is clearly true.

Right now, Petracca would walk out of the club if he could.

Blaming Morris for shedding light on the story lacks intellect.

You should be grateful you've been informed.  Now it's in the open hopefully the right changes will be made.

You know this exactly how?

1 hour ago, BLWNBA said:

What you personally think of an individual, doesn’t change the veracity of their reporting. Sure, you can argue (wrongly, in my opinion), what he’s reporting isn’t correct, but to dismiss reporting because a personal matter is nothing less than puerile. 

I haven’t disagreed with what he is reporting. I do understand why people wouldn’t like him though and not trust him.

• Like 1

https://www.3aw.com.au/sam-mcclure-gives-the-latest-on-the-unfolding-situation-at-melbourne/

A slightly different report from Sam McClure (who, I know, is going to give the same reaction to many on here as Tom Morris).

In this grab he says that Trac has already asked to be traded, and the request has been denied. I'm not sure that's been reported before.

Perhaps that is the reason he hasn't said anything this week. Perhaps Morris report that "if he were out of contract he'd ask for a trade" is indeed wrong, but not for the reasons some want to think. It's wrong because the truth is that he's already asked, but the club is refusing because he's contracted. Hence the Pert and Goodwin "he'll be here next year because he's contracted" remarks. 

Food for thought.

• Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Monbon said:

Yes: it seems the only team with any ISSUES is THE MELBOURNE FOOTY CLUB. I've yet to hear about how the E Coli Wobblers might not make the Finals, this year, why Geelong failed the year after it won a flag, and all we hear about is STRIFE  AND MAYHEM AT THE DEMONS, THE HOUSE OF DISCONTENT. At least Melbourne played Finals in '22 and '23, and had they kicked straight last year, had Maynard not knocked out Brayshaw, they might have stood a chance to win the '23 Flag as well.

Yes, this year has been a downer, but  - yes, I know, all the other teams had Injury Issues as well - Melbourne has been hit hard in '24, being 2 players down from before the first ball of '24 was bounced. 

This victim mentality garbage is pathetic (not singling you out, I've seen similar comments across the site, just happened to respond to your post). If you can't tell the difference between Collingwood, Geelong and us you've got rocks in your head or just being wilfully ignorant.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1