2024 Phantom Drafts

24 minutes ago, layzie said:

@Adam The God is going to be pretty happy at no.5 😁

With Ashcroft ranked at 1, the first player available in his rankings to us would be Reid, Draper, Smillie, Tauru, Armstrong and Travaglia.

Missing out on O'Sullivan, Langford, Lalor and Smith

• Thanks 1

This latest Twomey phantom form guide is just ranking yeah? Not who he thinks each club will pick?

Anyone know when he releases his actual draft predictions based on intel?

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

This latest Twomey phantom form guide is just ranking yeah? Not who he thinks each club will pick?

Can’t remember exactly, but I think it’s only like a couple of days before the draft. He does start to talk/write about who he thinks will go where earlier though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nascent said:

With Ashcroft ranked at 1, the first player available in his rankings to us would be Reid, Draper, Smillie, Tauru, Armstrong and Travaglia.

Missing out on O'Sullivan, Langford, Lalor and Smith

As soon as I posted that, I thought about the Ashcroft technicalities and knew that someone was going to pull me up any second 🤣

I'm just glad it was you Nascent. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

It's usually a couple of days or the night before the draft unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

As soon as I posted that, I thought about the Ashcroft technicalities and knew that someone was going to pull me up any second 🤣

I'm just glad it was you Nascent. 

If we really wanted to see @Adam The God God happy, we'd take Smith at 6 and split 9 for GWS 15, 16 and take Hynes and Jack Whitlock :cool:

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Arrrgghh FOS, Lalor and Langford cementing themselves as the best 3 available and even with Tauru to North looking as likely as anything we are 1 pick short.

No idea where we go with 5 if the top 3 are gone. Draper’s perhaps the safest bet of the second string mids. Smillie maybe. I have no interest in Jagga. Bo Allen seems too big a gamble on fixing that decision making. I wouldn’t be shocked if we went all the way down to Jesse Dattoli chasing a mid/forward with some aggression and skills.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

@Adam The God is going to be pretty happy at no.5 😁

That would be pick 4 though given Ashcroft.

Edited by Adam The God
Nascent beat me to it. Hurry up next time, Adam.
  • Like 1

I wonder if we show strong interest for Bo Allan would it force the Eagles or Dockers to come hard at pick 9 for a slide back…. Could be a good way to get another high pick if either are desperate enough. Would be funny seeing Eagles fans meltdown as they give up two picks to get 9 off us after trading pick 3

• Like 3

On today’s episode of Gettable, Cal said we would be looking at Lalor, FOS, Langford or Jagga if they were still available. If not he listed a second rung of mids, including Allan, Smillie and others. He said we could fit a gun young mid into our team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I have no interest in Jagga. 

Out of curiosity what is your knock on Jagga? From what I have seen he has some of the most natural ability and skills in the draft? He is a player profile we don't currently have as he uses the ball wall in short, runs hard, accumulates and links up play? He may not have the size or top line athletic attributes of others perhaps?

Edit: Just noticed he ran a 6:27min 2km time trial.

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Arrrgghh FOS, Lalor and Langford cementing themselves as the best 3 available and even with Tauru to North looking as likely as anything we are 1 pick short.

No idea where we go with 5 if the top 3 are gone. Draper’s perhaps the safest bet of the second string mids. Smillie maybe. I have no interest in Jagga. Bo Allen seems too big a gamble on fixing that decision making. I wouldn’t be shocked if we went all the way down to Jesse Dattoli chasing a mid/forward with some aggression and skills.

Think we get Smillie with one of our picks, was considered the pick 1 before the year but has slid back a bit, at 194cm could be the next Cripps or Bont 

6 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Out of curiosity what is your knock on Jagga? From what I have seen he has some of the most natural ability and skills in the draft? He is a player profile we don't currently have as he uses the ball wall in short, runs hard, accumulates and links up play? He may not have the size or top line athletic attributes of others perhaps?

Edit: Just noticed he ran a 6:27min 2km time trial.

- January birthdate who’s finished school and spent the year training giving him a significant development advantage 
- Average speed, no power, good agility/endurance 
- very little creativity
- very poor value per possession, prefers to handball, often goes laterally or backwards 
- doesn’t drive his legs through a stoppage or fight through tackles to release runners forward of the contest 
- no kicking penetration
- no aerial game 

We could do with a balanced midfielder but his inside work is going to need a heap of development to stack up at afl level yet alone become a strength and his outside work is undermined by being so safe, bland and lacking oomph.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 2021 said:
At pick 5, a gun midfielder like Harvey Langford, Jagga Smith or Josh Smillie would be handy.
At pick 9, Melbourne would surely have to look at Sandringham Dragons key forward Harry Armstong if he was still available.

There’s nothing new, insightful or possibly even likely there. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting to see people sour on Jagga. He's the best performed midfielder in it and at worst will be a solid accumulator at AFL level. People saying his inside work wouldn't stack up at AFL level are a bit off IMO. He played a few games in the VFL late in the year and absolutely dominated mature bodies and AFL listed players. Averaged 27 disposals and 7 clearances across the three VFL matches. Had 50+ disposal games at CTL level. He's the best ball winner at underage level since Nick Daicos and projects similarly. 

If he was available to us at pick 5 it would be a very bold call to pass on him for someone else. I suspect he'll be gone before our pick though.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

On 22/10/2024 at 11:09, Nascent said:

Does anyone think that Smith might slide a bit? He's the hardest one to place currently for mine and with pick swaps on draft night, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him available at pick 9.

Taking out the academy and f/s players, is this such an unlikely scenario?

1. Lalor (rich)

Pick swap with North: 2 for 6 and 18

2. Langford (rich) 

3. O'sullivan (carl)

4. Draper (Adelaide)

5. Smillie (Melb)

6. Tauru (North)

7. Travaglia (Saints)

8. Armstrong (Saints)

9. Smith? (Melb)

Still have Reid, Lindsay, Allan on the board and there's usually a bolter come draft night that enters top 10 calculations like Windsor. Can't see him as a top 4 lock and not sure we go with him at 5(6).

Like your thoughts, but I would be pretty sure if Jagga is available at 5 then JT will pick him, keep up the good work. I can see a scenario where Smillie falls to 9

Edited by Viscount Cardwell
added content

5 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Interesting to see people sour on Jagga. He's the best performed midfielder in it and at worst will be a solid accumulator at AFL level. People saying his inside work wouldn't stack up at AFL level are a bit off IMO. He played a few games in the VFL late in the year and absolutely dominated mature bodies and AFL listed players. Averaged 27 disposals and 7 clearances across the three VFL matches. Had 50+ disposal games at CTL level. He's the best ball winner at underage level since Nick Daicos and projects similarly. 

If he was available to us at pick 5 it would be a very bold call to pass on him for someone else. I suspect he'll be gone before our pick though.

When is the last time a slider proved everyone wrong feel like it’s been a minute.  

19 minutes ago, Garbo said:

When is the last time a slider proved everyone wrong feel like it’s been a minute.  

The last one that probably qualifies is Brody Grundy, who had a lot of hype as a top 10 but went at 18. That was 12 years ago. The last one that was 'possible pick 1' but slipped down and made people look silly was possibly Daniel Rich in 2008 but more likely it was Joel Selwood in 2006.

It probably shows you that there aren't really 'sliders', rather it's just people outside overrating players compared with how the clubs themselves rate them.

• Like 1