Comings and Goings

Another article from the Herald Sun on line edition which is probably only available for subscribers.

This one is about the many players across the AFL who are left without contracts for next year and asks about their fate. Will they stay or will they go?

Josh Barnes looks at Melbourne’s list as follows:-

Unrestricted free agents: Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham, Adam Tomlinson, Marty Hore, Joel Smith

Non-free agents: Ed Langdon, Josh Schache, Oliver Sestan, Kynan Brown, Kyah Farris-White, Andy Moniz-Wakefield, Ben Brown

Plenty of questions around the Dees as the season carries on. Older players like Ben Brown, Adam Tomlinson, Josh Schache likely go. Ed Langdon will sign a new deal soon and Jake Melksham wants to earn one in the next couple of months. Does Tom McDonald go again?

Youngster Andy Moniz-Wakefield should get a new deal, while surely Joel Smith will drop off the list. This masthead revealed last week that young backup ruck Will Verrall had committed to a new deal, while surprise forward Daniel Turner has also inked a new deal. Lachie Hunter has a contract in place for 2025.”

Barnes then gives his views on which of the uncontracted players will remain at the club in 2025 as follows-

Signing on: Langdon, Melksham, Moniz-Wakefield
Holding fire: McDonald
Going: Schache, Smith, Tomlinson
Retiring: B Brown
In the air: K Brown Hore Faris-White Sestan

I think Kynan Brown will stay and there’s a good argument for retaining every one of the three “in the air”. 

Of course, there might be additional list changes as a result of possible trades and it’s Interesting that Lachie Hunter is mentioned given that he’s not getting a game at AFL, having been passed by a couple of the club’s young guns on their way up.

• Thanks 3
  • Clap 1

Smith, Schache and BB will be done after this year. TMac may hang up the boots too, but given his year, I'd love him to play on.

This'll leave 3 or 4 spots. I think we'd prefer 3 list spots.

Edited by Binmans PA
And then there's Hunter...
  • Like 2

Pretty sure that Hunter's contract expires at the end of this season. If we have extended him by another year it's sheer madness. Have I missed something? The original contract definitely expires at the end of 2024.

• Like 1

I recall an interview a few years ago where TMac said he'd like to play until he was 35. That was before his most recent foot injuries.

In a couple of interviews this year he's stated that he's treating 2024 as his last year and he was determined to enjoy it, whether he was playing at AFL or VFL level.

I think he's surprised himself and the club with his form this year. If his body holds up for the remainder of the season, I doubt it would take much to convince him to go around again

• Like 14

I would prefer to keep TMac for 1 more season. Tall key position swingmen are rare and TMac has shown incredible skill at both ends of the ground. His fitness and mental toughness are also great for young players to see and imitate. I can see Disco Turner being our next generation swing man but it might be one more season away.

Delist - Hunter, Smith, and Schache.

Retire - BBB

Lose to other clubs - Laurie, Tomlinson

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I would prefer to keep TMac for 1 more season. Tall key position swingmen are rare and TMac has shown incredible skill at both ends of the ground. His fitness and mental toughness are also great for young players to see and imitate. I can see Disco Turner being our next generation swing man but it might be one more season away.

Delist - Hunter, Smith, and Schache.

Retire - BBB

Lose to other clubs - Laurie, Tomlinson

Lachie has stagnated on 199 games for months. 😭

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Pretty sure that Hunter's contract expires at the end of this season. If we have extended him by another year it's sheer madness. Have I missed something? The original contract definitely expires at the end of 2024.

Yeah I thought initially he signed a 2 year deal with us?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Reported as such through numerous media outlets. Just not sure if it has been extended.  Can anyone confirm or otherwise?Hunter is completely cooked. His troublesome calf seemingly beyond repair. Gave us a good 2023 but is now a list clogger. Really hoping his contract expires this season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

3 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Reported as such through numerous media outlets. Just not sure if it has been extended.  Can anyone confirm or otherwise?Hunter is completely cooked. His troublesome calf seemingly beyond repair. Gave us a good 2023 but is now a list clogger. Really hoping his contract expires this season.

Luci / R&B forever's contracts thread is usually spot on. It has Hunter's contract ending in 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Go the Biff said:

In a couple of interviews this year he's stated that he's treating 2024 as his last year and he was determined to enjoy it, whether he was playing at AFL or VFL level.

I think he's surprised himself and the club with his form this year. If his body holds up for the remainder of the season, I doubt it would take much to convince him to go around again

Yep, I saw the interview about him being determined to enjoy his footy in 2024. It sounded like he didn't think his body was capable of another season but you never know.

• Like 1

Going… BBB (retired).  Schache (delisted) Hunter (delisted) Farris-white (delisted- Cat B)   Js29 suspended  Gus10(medical retired) 

On the edge … Sestan

to be decided. Tmcd and Melksham 

Likely to seek other opportunities- Tomlinson 

It seems as though our tall stocks are going to take a fair hit this off season with all of BBB, Schache, Tomlinson and Smith, likely to be moved on at seasons end. KFW might earn another year on the rookie list depending on how the club have seen his progress this season. Petty of course might also depart for SA.

Sestan and Hore are probably likely than not to be retained. I can't see Hunter getting a new contract considering his recent injury issues.

I'd imagine that TMac plays on for one more season.

Edited by Demon Jack