Judd McVee - Future Melbourne Champion

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

He has gone to the midfield but had a key role defence for a number of years.

Having a career best year in the midfield like Judd will

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DemonWA said:

I remember being slightly bemused when he got #4. 

Might end up being the best #4 we've seen since the Red Fox 

Well y’all have me to thank for Knuckles’ success. At a preseason training sesh I told him I was heartbroken to see Harmesy go, so he’d better do us proud in the #4 guernsey or he’d have me to answer to. 😂😂😂 I may be small but I think I scared the bejesus outta him. 😁

He said he was ‘stoked’ when given #4 and it was an honour he wasn’t expecting.

Like every one of our young boys, Judd is humble.

He is soft-spoken and has a gentle nature and is mature beyond his years. Of course, that may change as he gets older, but I very much doubt it. The development of the boys clearly includes guidance that keeps them grounded. No big-heads policy. 😁

PS: While the name is apt, I’ve not heard anyone at the Club call him Silk. He LOVES the nickname ‘Knuckles’. This is what he (emphatically) told me. He probably doesn’t want a recycled nickname anyways. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

He was in Sheehan's under 16 team best 22.  Also had great draft write-ups where to me he sounded like Salem.

I get why i/state clubs missed him but for some insane reason Freo and WCE walked right on by, to our enormous benefit.

almost as egregious as nic martin, who was on meth coke's 'train on' list and they passed on him completely

would be very interested to see shifter's under 16 team for that year to see where he makes it

i'm one of those 'why move him from half-back?' peeps, but the promise of amw means that it does become a possibility

hasn't rivers trained with the mids for the last two pre-seasons or so, but it's taken an injury to petracca to see him unleashed into the midfield?

could definitely see mcvee having that sort of impact if required

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

would be very interested to see shifter's under 16 team for that year to see where he makes it

Sheehan had him on the bench of the AA team.

Judd McVee (Interchange)

JUDD McVEE (Western Australia): Small midfielder/forward with creative, clean hands and high football IQ. Very good at stoppages, he averaged 16.3 disposals (10 contested possessions), 4 clearances and 3.7 tackles across the championships.

afl-eye-catchers-u16-all-australian-team

A State by State view of the AA team

Judd McVee (Interchange)

Was outstanding in the first half of WA’s Round 3 loss to Vic Metro, finishing with 16 disposals, seven clearances and two goals. Caught the eye with his incredible burst from the centre bounces, and loves a goal from range.

/national-championships-u16-all-australian-team-announced

Interestingly, our Blake Howes was also in that team.  He has had a difficult start and will take longer to reach his potential.  It was tougher for him and other Vic kids as their 2020/21 development was restricted by covid lockdowns.

I haven't looked at the other AA team members to see where they ended up in the respective draft.  iirc we got Howes for a pick in the 40's.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Howes will come good, just likely to take a bit longer than McVee. He's taller and lanky, once he builds his body he won't get pushed off the contest as easily as he is now. And his awareness and disposal will get better after a big preseason

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Howes will come good, just likely to take a bit longer than McVee. He's taller and lanky, once he builds his body he won't get pushed off the contest as easily as he is now. And his awareness and disposal will get better after a big preseason

Sorry to hijack this topic. But I agree with you. Howes is coming along nicely 

Check out the comparison with Riv at the same age. Sometimes we forget these kids need some time (Bowser and Knuckles are the exceptions) 

image.thumb.png.d15655c3c1017df8bd0bc3c5c48908e2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I really agree with this.  Some teams have one of their very best players in that role.  Lachie Witfield (GWS) and Hayden Young (Freo) come to mind.

He would probably make a very good midfielder but he may be more valuable where he is especially once Salem slows.

He reminds me of TJ, effortlessly glides over the surface.  He has great vision which really helps in hitting targets.

I think it also depends on what our game plan becomes. Our HB line is void of any serious playmakers that can break lines or punish teams or midfield / wing turnovers. Keeping McVee and allowing him to develop his talent more on the HB line can become a real weapon and compliment our contest game. Our turnover game that has been letting us down for quite some time and it is really easy pickings if you can your structure and ball movement right as we saw at times over the past 2 weeks. 

For me, leave him at HB for now and push Riv into the midfield rotation. Trac i think becomes a 60/40 Forward/Mid player as a result. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

For me, leave him at HB for now and push Riv into the midfield rotation. Trac i think becomes a 60/40 Forward/Mid player as a result. 

If Riv keeps progressing this way I could even see Trac 50/50 mid/fwd split which would be incredible. He's our most dangerous fwd and more time there with midfield depth added is huge.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Thanks 1

Been on the McVee bandwagon since Round 2 of last year when he gave off serious Pendlebury vibes.   Called for his move to the midfield every week since but since Rivers has gone there full time starting to think different. 

We are not as cringe worthy, cover your eyes, clanger heavy going forward in the past month.  McVee probably stays HB for now but we def need to release him a bit to set up that key kick out of d50 on the rebound.  Opponents know he's super effective so rarely allow him to run past getting a handball.   Also when he's got the ball, certain guys need to stop running past and asking for a handball.  Let the guy who can kick better than you kick it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

almost as egregious as nic martin, who was on meth coke's 'train on' list and they passed on him completely

i'm one of those 'why move him from half-back?' peeps, but the promise of amw means that it does become a possibility

hasn't rivers trained with the mids for the last two pre-seasons or so, but it's taken an injury to petracca to see him unleashed into the midfield?

could definitely see mcvee having that sort of impact if required

I'd prefer we start by allowing McVee to step into Salem's role at the back of stoppages. Rivers did a lot of that last year. Particularly, if we play a more aggressive press, because it'll enable him to have more disposals higher up the field and across the high half forward/50 metre arc. We were pretty aggressive against West Coast and he got some possessions in the front half and was devastating.

The problem in our back half is that he has become an elite 1v1 player, which means we have to find someone (Woey? AMW?) that can play that lockdown defender role on the likes of Cameron, Greene, Bolton etc. to replace him.

@Lucifers Hero comment on the Salem comparison is interesting, because he seems like a Salem clone in many ways now that you've said that.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Brenno said:

Most coaches votes too. Gun in the making. 

Screenshot_20240715-175529.png

Which coach gave BOG to Nic Martin??

McVee is incredible. Every time he has the ball, it’s similar to Kossie, the team just lifts a little more.

This young group might even be the best yet.

• Love 2

So, a huge Judd love-fest, huh?

If you really do love Knuckles and you think he deserves all the plaudits (which of course he does), then you won’t hesitate to vote for him in the 22 Under 22 Round 18 nomination, where he’s up against Brodhi Uwland from the Suns.

We’ve got Judd up to 92% of the votes which is awesome, but we need to keep voting because should the SunScreamers (the official cheer squad of the Suns) catch on and start voting, the gap may narrow.

Do you want our boy to be beaten by a player you’ve never heard of?🤭

GET VOTING Y’ALL!!!

please. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

So, a huge Judd love-fest, huh?

If you really do love Knuckles and you think he deserves all the plaudits (which of course he does), then you won’t hesitate to vote for him in the 22 Under 22 Round 18 nomination, where he’s up against Brodhi Uwland from the Suns.

We’ve got Judd up to 92% of the votes which is awesome, but we need to keep voting because should the SunScreamers (the official cheer squad of the Suns) catch on and start voting, the gap may narrow.

Do you want our boy to be beaten by a player you’ve never heard of?🤭

GET VOTING Y’ALL!!!

please. 

Done. That’s super easy.

And I don’t mean to disrespect Brodhi, but I’ve never heard of him… is he a fair match? 92 - 8% seems about correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, No10 said:

Done. That’s super easy.

And I don’t mean to disrespect Brodhi, but I’ve never heard of him… is he a fair match? 92 - 8% seems about correct.

I’ve only heard of Brodhi because he was interviewed on 360 a few weeks ago when he won the Rising Star nom for that round.

The reason Judd has so many votes is because as we speak there’s a couple of hundred DA nuffies voting and getting everyone they know to vote for him. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2024 at 17:04, Stretch Johnson said:

Elite agility, vision, decision making and kicking skills.

Very good speed, strong at the contest.

Incredible maturity.

The kid will explode when allowed to run into the midfield.  They are clearly protecting him until he beefs up a little.

Already very good, and will become super.

Great rookie pick.  Found an absolute gem.

like most rookies Judd's been hot-cold-hot again.

What poise.

Our team's future is strong.

We need that one key forward

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Have you heard of Bodhi?  Apparently he's even better!

Who names their kid Bodhi anyways?!

Probs relatives of Gryan Miers. 😁

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I really agree with this.  Some teams have one of their very best players in that role.  Lachie Witfield (GWS) and Hayden Young (Freo) come to mind.

He would probably make a very good midfielder but he may be more valuable where he is especially once Salem slows.

He reminds me of TJ, effortlessly glides over the surface.  He has great vision which really helps in hitting targets.

TJ is a great comparison in terms of how he moves and his ball use.

I reckon mcvee is a bit more hard at it than TJ.

Judd's baby face belies his toughness.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, binman said:

TJ is a great comparison in terms of how he moves and his ball use.

I reckon mcvee is a bit more hard at it than TJ.

Judd's baby face belies his toughness.

Agreed.

He has Salem's skill, IQ  and toughness with TJ's gracefulness and skill.

And he has a sidestep and speed to get thru traffic better than both of them.

He is an awesome 😍 recruit.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Agreed.

He has Salem's skill, IQ  and toughness with TJ's gracefulness and skill.

And he has a sidestep and speed to get thru traffic better than both of them.

He is an awesome 😍 recruit.

And like you, I'm happy for mcvee to stay at half back.

One, he really is a brilliant defender. He reads the ball super well, backs himself in to beat his opponent to the ball, really good one on one and is surprisingly strong in the contest.

But perhaps of most importance is how important his brilliant kicking is out of defence, one because it creates scoring chains but also he doesn't turn the ball over in our back half.

Moving daicos on ball has hurt the pies I reckon. He is brilliant in the middle of course, but they have sorely missed his kicking out of defence and how calm he was in the back half.

Def one of the factors as in their turnover, transition game falling of a cliff.

Mcvee is our daicos. 

Use AMW as the lock down small defender, freeing Judd to be a dangerous high half back flankers.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, binman said:

Mcvee is our daicos. 

Use AMW as the lock down small defender, freeing Judd to be a dangerous high half back flankers.

I've been wondering about Woey playing lockdown, and leaving AMW to attack. Thoughts?