PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

27 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm not going to say this too loudly, but I'm starting to think it is time to give Sparrow a spell at Casey.

Started the season 'just adequate' but has slipped from that level as the season wore on. Hasn't got past 16 possessions in about 8 weeks, and hasn't had much impact when he does get it. Unless there's some potent defensive running and genius positioning going on - which I've seen no evidence of - then I think we can do better. I also think that Sparrow can and should take the opportunity to really dominate a few VFL clearance games and set himself to come back in with a much more assertive attitude ready for the late season and finals.

Essendon's pretty nimble mids group would also suggest a little extra speed is a good idea, too.

Maybe Sparrow out and Brown & Woewodin to share the sub minutes?

Number 1 speed in attack, number 2 speed in defense, number 2 total work rate.  

Really the only option would be Woey forward/wing and ANB as part of the core 4 mids tagging.

It’s not crazy but Woey just seems slow to react anywhere but behind the ball and isn’t a great user either. I don’t think it helps us.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just when I started feeling hopeful, we lose Gawn. Damn.

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

OUT: gawn, woey 2.0
IN: fullarton, petty

turner to sub

Don't mind this. Turner does play a bit like Joel Smith who was great in the sub role.

Edited by seventyfour
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Walking Civil War loves this post

Yes, she does, and with a passion.  She’d get it tattooed on her forehead, only she’d have to wear a balaclava every day for the rest of her life such is the proliferation of their feral supporters out her way. It’s at plague proportions. Those filthy reprobates breed like rabbits 🤮

• Haha 5

Don't want to be too much of a dampener of our spirit on here, but Gawn missing this week is terrible, and missing anything beyond that is even worse.

This week is Draper/Goldstein.

Then Darcy/Jackson.

Then Briggs, who beat an in-form TDK this week.

• Like 4

'Very sore' Melbourne Demons ruckman Max Gawn in doubt to face Essendon Bombers after scans on sore ankle (afl.com.au)

"It's pretty sore, I must admit. I woke up very sore. Obviously played the second half in a bit of distress," he said, while on crutches and wearing a moonboot on his right foot.

"At this stage, I'm thinking that (I will miss), just because of how sore it is, but I've seen some stuff that the human body can do and it can certainly turn around pretty quickly."

Come on down, Tom Fullarton?

• Like 4

Petty's best game for the season was the Brisbane game, immediately before his injury, 

15 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles. Thats a CHF game! 

Unfortunately the 0 goals 4 behinds is not a CHF game! 

But he'll definitely becoming back in. 

If Gawn misses, perhaps we pick the ruckman better at ground level out of Verrall and Fullarton, forgo the taps and focus on negating Draper/Goldstein by providing additional ground support?   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

Beating the Bombers is a critical part of my ongoing mental health plan. 

It’s the entirety of mine. 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Don't want to be too much of a dampener of our spirit on here, but Gawn missing this week is terrible, and missing anything beyond that is even worse.

Then Darcy/Jackson.

Goldstein and Draper won’t both play if Gawn is out 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Then Darcy/Jackson.

Exactly.  For those who think Gawn has been a down a little since the bye, he's played against Xerri and McInerney before this week and beaten or at least broken even with them both.  They are two of the inform rucks in the competition. And that's max not in his best form.  The opposition will have a field day in his absence.

6 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

Exactly.  For those who think Gawn has been a down a little since the bye, he's played against Xerri and McInerney before this week and beaten or at least broken even with them both.  They are two of the inform rucks in the competition. And that's max not in his best form.  The opposition will have a field day in his absence.

To be fair, breaking even is probably as good as he's been for a few weeks now, and I get why you argue that's a bad thing for us but it's also a good thing - it's not like our good football of late has only occurred with Gawn going berserk.

But if we're going to make a charge for finals, with the opposition we have and the lack of ruck depth on our list, losing him is, well, not good.

• Like 1

Stage set for Fullarton, but any chance they'd do Petty for Max and just run the Disco/JvR/Petty through? Saves a tough call on Turner this week. is 3 pinch-hitting options and no real ruck nonsense?

Draper/2m Peter/Cox all over 2m

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

To be fair, breaking even is probably as good as he's been for a few weeks now, and I get why you argue that's a bad thing for us but it's also a good thing - it's not like our good football of late has only occurred with Gawn going berserk.

But if we're going to make a charge for finals, with the opposition we have and the lack of ruck depth on our list, losing him is, well, not good.

Only the last three games.  He was in the coaches votes against Collingwood and very clearly our best player. That was the game immediately before the bye. So since the bye the three games we've played he's been below his best but not lowered his colours to a couple of very good ruckmen.  I agree that a more even team performance has seen us improve, but the reality is Gawn not at his best is still pretty much unbeatable in the sense that the opposition ruck is at least negated. That all goes out the window with him not there. Draper, Darcy/Jackson and Briggs in the next three weeks.  That could get very messy if the champ isn't out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

OUT: gawn, woey 2.0
IN: fullarton, petty

turner to sub

No Petty please

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm not going to say this too loudly, but I'm starting to think it is time to give Sparrow a spell at Casey.

Started the season 'just adequate' but has slipped from that level as the season wore on. Hasn't got past 16 possessions in about 8 weeks, and hasn't had much impact when he does get it. Unless there's some potent defensive running and genius positioning going on - which I've seen no evidence of - then I think we can do better. I also think that Sparrow can and should take the opportunity to really dominate a few VFL clearance games and set himself to come back in with a much more assertive attitude ready for the late season and finals.

Essendon's pretty nimble mids group would also suggest a little extra speed is a good idea, too.

Maybe Sparrow out and Brown & Woewodin to share the sub minutes?

Sparrow was the top and second top player on the ground for average speed in attack and defence. He ain’t going nowhere. Excellent work rate, clearly he is doing jobs for the coach

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

29 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

We must have planned for this so let's see what it looks like. Who's coming in?

The unpredictability could be good for us early. Try to get the jump on them and see if we can hold on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd bring Petty in for Max. That'd be it.

We were down on talls this week just gone. I think we need both Petty and Fullarton in. Maybe Turner to sub.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

Who takes the ruck? 

Petty with chop outs from JVR and Disco as per yesterday.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd bring Petty in for Max. That'd be it.

Just now, Jaded No More said:

Who takes the ruck? 

This is the problem 

Our best second ruck is JV R but we would be be robbing our goal kicking power by having him rucking for an extended period.

I don't think Disco or Petty would be of much use against Draper.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

This is the problem 

Our best second ruck is JV R but we would be be robbing our goal kicking power by having him rucking for an extended period.

I don't think Disco or Petty would be of much use against Draper.

The ruck position is overrated. We were fine in 2017, we'll be fine this year.

We need our second best overhead mark replace our best overhead mark around the ground. Petty for Max.

Edited by Binmans PA