Michael Newton

Jarka

agreed. skipper changed our attitude when he came in against port, and his presence is enough to help the players. don't forget what he did against the roos last year.

if he has a shocker on sunday i'll begin to have my doubts, for the first time ever.

but at this stage i'm all for the skipper, his attitude embodies what our team needs. especially guys like bruce

Neita's presence and positive attitude was not evident against WCE other than when WCE defenders shirked going for the ball in 1st qtr. (says more about them!). The skipper is averaging 5 possessions a game this year & about 8 goals in total which is not enough impact. That is the concern. I dont see that he was the major reason for the good attitude against Port or Doggies (or that he was major reasons for the insipid attitude againts WCE).

Fact of the matter is that if MFC loses next couple of games or has only managed 1 or 2 wins of 11 the only way to get benefit from the rest of 2007 is to get game time into the future players for 2008 and beyond. Essential that Frawley, Newton, Buckley etc get games at senior level and I would also give players like danny hughes games so by season's end MFC has a clear view of cababilities of the young and next level players. Can then make right changes at year end and identify priorities for recruits and drafts etc.

Has anyone seen how skinny Newton is? At AFL level he will struggle until he bulks up. I am all for playing him for experience, but he will get the confidence at Sandringham and but a few games he will see how far he has to go at AFL level.

newton is 193cm and 90 kg according to the mfc site.

miller - 194cm 96kg

dunn 192cm 90kg

carrol 191cm 91kg

bate 192cm 90

ok so he is slightly on the smaller side, but he is not tiny.

garland is listed at 191cm and 84 kg fwiw

the big interest for me is from the essendon website. lloyd is listed as 192cm and 91kg, does anyone think he is too small?

Look, I love the big bloke, he's our captain but let's not overlook the obvious. So far this is Neitz' worst season ever, but I agree that he won't get dropped though, just not for the reasons you're saying. He won't get dropped because we have no one else to play his position.

He's on one leg. There is no doubt that he came back too early, because of his importance. So far this season he has played 1 game (round 1) fully fit.

IF you come back to early then you end up playing catch-up for the next 3-4 games in order to get touch, fitness and confidence in the injury.

Judge Neita in 4 weeks, not now.

G'day Fellow Demons Supporters!

Apparently Newton kicked 2 goals and 5 behinds on the weekend.

Hopefully he can kick a BIG BAG of goals this week for the Zebras.

Personally I'd love to see him get a chance in the MFC senior side.

I'm sure he will before the season finishes. ;)

GO DEMONS IN 2007 or 2008?

From Supreme_Demon

newton is 193cm and 90 kg according to the mfc site.

miller - 194cm 96kg

dunn 192cm 90kg

carrol 191cm 91kg

bate 192cm 90

ok so he is slightly on the smaller side, but he is not tiny.

garland is listed at 191cm and 84 kg fwiw

the big interest for me is from the essendon website. lloyd is listed as 192cm and 91kg, does anyone think he is too small?

I wouldnt read too much into those "official" figures... Clubs are known to over or underplay certain players heights and weights, and always have. Lloyd is certainly taller and heavier than that. Without a doubt.

I've met Juice personally and he's probably even taller than 193cm. Definately taller than Miller in real life, who didnt seem all that much taller than me (i'm 187cm). Miller actually looked a touch short for a KPP. Would surprise me if he's much taller than 190cm in reality, but i'm sure the FD want other teams to believe he is taller than he is so he draws a quality tall away from Robbo or Neitz.

There's no way Bate is taller than Carroll. He's a big unit, but not that tall, though Carroll's not that tall either. But just from lookin at them on the field, clearly taller than Bate. Bate's gotta be around the 187-189cm mark really. Same mid-size height as a CJ, Bizzell, or Belly i'd reckon.

I remember meeting Troy Broadbridge at the supermarket during the 2004 season and was amazed at how tall he was, though he was only listed at 191cm on the website, he told me that he was actually closer to 195cm at the last time the club had done measurements.

Neita is listed at 193cm 100kg, Miller 194cm... theres no way Miller is taller than Neita, honestly.

Catch my drift?...

But bater is pretty tall, im about the same height as you and he seemed a fair bit taller than me...

Might just be his posture maybe? He does run with a 'crouched' back... maybe he's a stack taller when he's standing up straight?

He just doesnt look that tall on the ground, know what i mean?

He's on one leg. There is no doubt that he came back too early, because of his importance. So far this season he has played 1 game (round 1) fully fit.

IF you come back to early then you end up playing catch-up for the next 3-4 games in order to get touch, fitness and confidence in the injury.

It's depressing he has to play liek this because we have no one else to fill the breach :(

Well put Classy.

Newton isn't going to be an instant star, he's not going to automatically solve our forward woes, but at the moment I believe he is the only one on our list who as the attributes to be able to replace Neitz has a key forward. I just think we should be giving him some game time to get used to AFL level, so he understands how hard he has to work to succeed at that level.

Given that Robbo and possibly McLean will be back this week, I would rest Dunn (and I am a fan) for Newton against the Kangas.

How does one 'rest' a 20 year old who has played only a handful of games?

If Dunn doesn't play this week, it's either because he is injured, or because he has been dropped... and he does NOT deserve to be dropped.

Newton is not different to everyone else on our list. We should not drop a performing, up and coming player just so that he can get a game. Every other debutant finds their way into the side because of injury, or because there is a vacant position to fill.

I want to see Newton play as much as anyone, but the simple fact is, he shouldn't be made into a special case and we shouldn't have to drop someone undeserving just for him to have a go. As it stands, we have bigger needs down back than up forward, and therefore Frawley should be the next to debut... even if he hasn't had the chance to dominate in the VFL like Newton has.

I want to see Newton play as much as anyone, but the simple fact is, he shouldn't be made into a special case and we shouldn't have to drop someone undeserving just for him to have a go. As it stands, we have bigger needs down back than up forward, and therefore Frawley should be the next to debut... even if he hasn't had the chance to dominate in the VFL like Newton has.

I agree Jaded, but after a 0-8 start to the season I don't think it will be too difficult a task to find someone whom fits the category.

Look, I love the big bloke, he's our captain but let's not overlook the obvious. So far this is Neitz' worst season ever, but I agree that he won't get dropped though, just not for the reasons you're saying. He won't get dropped because we have no one else to play his position.

Daniher has had 10 years but he's failed to come up with a replacement for him.

As said above, in the only game he played to it's completion before his injury he was in good nick in a side that was thrashed. He then kicked 1 goal in about 90 seconds the next week, and since he's come back he's had a battle with his knee, and has had his side smacked from pillar to post. But we forget how much better we look with him in the side. Against Port we looked completely different when he came back, and again the next week.

I see your point, and yes he's having one of his worst years to date, but his '05 was pretty shonky too (was it '05 when Robbo won the goalkicking for MFC?). I just reckon he bring more to the side than goal-kicking.

Newton isn't going to be an instant star, he's not going to automatically solve our forward woes, but at the moment I believe he is the only one on our list who as the attributes to be able to replace Neitz has a key forward. I just think we should be giving him some game time to get used to AFL level, so he understands how hard he has to work to succeed at that level.

That's probably fair enough too.

On a personal note, I reckon when the big man is gone, part of my heart that beats true for the red and blue will go with him, in much the same way it did when Schwarta retired. I want him to play this year and next, be given the chance to play well and retire with the dignity he so richly deserves. It's bad enough he hasn't won a flag...