PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

As for Spargo, if you were a real stats person you could argue he's not best 22. But if you watch him closely you notice how much running he does and its very rare his disposals are turned over. Also seems to pop up so many times and kick a much needed goal.

You mean like GPS data, turnover stats and goal assist stats?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Excellent analysis Jaded. I totally agree with you re Spargo, and I was surprised he didn't play for Melbourne last week (but he will be better given the Casey game). I think he's crucial to our structure and his skills are elite. The issue seems to be with ground ball gets with Melbourne currently and given the positive Inside 50s against GC it would have been great to have him up forward improving delivery and conversion.

JJ parked discussions regarding a new contract til later in the year which I can totally understand given his fringe ststus in the team. It will be interesting to see whether it's JJ or Harmes playing as sub in on Saturday. Harmes was good last week I thought when he came on but I actually would have liked him to play the whole game locking down Noah Anderson. That mid lockdown role is someting he excels at although I know Melbourne generally doesn't like going down that path because it affects structure/rotations. Having said that, I think we should be prioritising JJ ahead of Harmes. Harmes is a UFA in 2024 and turns 28 in October. IMO we should be trying to trade him this year as  another club would probably be prepared to offer him 3 years and a guaranteed spot in their best 22.

I also agree we need to sign Chandler, also Woewodin who is definitely much-improved.

I wouldn't be looking to trade Harmes unless he's the one instigating the request.  To even think about pushing a guy like Harmes out the door would be corrosive to the culture of the club/team:

* Followed the club as a kid

* Came up from the rookie list and cut his teeth as a player at a time when the team was puss

* Turned the 2021 GF with his magic pass to Fritta in the third that started our fight back and subsequent avalanche

* He's hard as nails, decient skills and as far as I can see a pretty decient clubman and general citizen

That all said, I understand he's also on the frindge just at the moment, but I'd be leaning to keeping him as depth at a contract value we can accommodate within the list rather than floating him as a trade option.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I haven't bought a ticket for public reserve for ages.. fell off my chair when i saw the prices! $80 for Level 2. $55 for nosebleed.

Out-of-control.

Are you booking a seat or is that just entry 

it’s only hawthorn there will be plenty of seats on the ground  just not booked

• Like 1

AFL - if you are listening, I hate this stuff:

TODAY ONLY! 20% off Level 1 seats for Hawks v Dees this Saturday at MCG. Book: https://brz.ai/26j0k

Optout? Txt STOP to 0429692676
Ticketek: bit.ly/TKTHelp

It's not a big game and no way will it be a sell out.  So this attitude of the AFL (and/or the club's?) to seqeeze ever last dollar out of the die-hards that do attend rather than make available the preferred seating on level 1 for GA is just rubbish (to be uncharacteristically restrained in my use of preferred language).

The AFL should focus on giving better value for money and attracting more people to games than degrading the experience for those that do attend unless they are prepared to pay more.

Gil has also utterly failed in his notion of keeping food prices at a modest level, when two Powerades, hot chips and a few bits of chicken set you back $30.

Particularly when Australia is facing a cost of living crisis, this rip off approach is misguided.  I could be wrong, but I suspect that the early basis of the popularity of Aussie Rules was that it was a financially inclusive comunity gathering that people of all finacial satus could afford and participate in and a source of enjoyment and hope through depressing times financially.  Don't kill the golden goose of the everyday punter in the outer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

16 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Are you booking a seat or is that just entry 

it’s only hawthorn there will be plenty of seats on the ground  just not booked

Well its kind of both isnt it? i thought you could only book online (ticketek) nowadays for entry. I used to buy my tickets via Telstra as it would be discounted, but they don't appear to offer tickets to the G anymore. 

35 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Well its kind of both isnt it? i thought you could only book online (ticketek) nowadays for entry. I used to buy my tickets via Telstra as it would be discounted, but they don't appear to offer tickets to the G anymore. 

My members ticket just gets me past the front gates, then I look for a seat, usually ground level Ponsford Stand go in Gate 1,    Its Hawthorn, lucky to be 25,000 there,    They sell entry to the ground at Gate 1   though they only have a few windows open now.

6 hours ago, layzie said:

It is the kind of game I would have liked to see JJ in. On one hand Spargo's ability to deliver into the 50 is a huge benefit but I wouldn't mind that extra mid rotation

But we've gone ahead and given guys like Sparrow, Kozy and Rivers more time in the guts and they've comfortably kept JJ out of the side. JJ just doesn't stand out enough unfortunately. 

53 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

But we've gone ahead and given guys like Sparrow, Kozy and Rivers more time in the guts and they've comfortably kept JJ out of the side. JJ just doesn't stand out enough unfortunately. 

It's not what stands out to us mere mortals that our coaching team really care about though.  I honestly can't say quite what JJ isn't bringing, but being a flashy standout player isn't what gets guys picked for the MFC these days.

8 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Just re read Kozzy four more years - life as a Demon supporter is grand.

Then think about

Max

Trac

Clarrie

Absolute stars. 😃

You could add

May

Fritta

Langdon

Brayshaw

Lever

footy life is goood

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

@WalkingCivilWar what end will the cheer squad be down? 
I want to figure out where to sit in general admin. 

We’ll be in the visiting cheer squad bay, M33. Ponsford stand. Enter through Gate 1 👍🏽

1 hour ago, old55 said:

@WalkingCivilWar - with it being a Hawthorn home game is the DA at the Punt Road end or the Ponsford end.  Do Hawthorn take the Ponsford end for home games like Collingwood?  I want to set at the DA end.

Yeah we’re in bay M33 for tomorrow’s match. Ponsford end. Gate 1 for entry. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

We’ll be in the visiting cheer squad bay, M33. Ponsford stand. Enter through Gate 1 👍🏽

I hate sitting behind the goals. If we got M12 thru gate 5 will that be close enough? 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I hate sitting behind the goals. If we got M12 thru gate 5 will that be close enough? 😂

You’d be closer to their cheer squad than ours. 

Just now, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’d be closer to their cheer squad than ours. 

I’m very loud…. 😂

We will go gate 1. And then I’ll hear my dad complain that we should never play away games at the G because he needs his reserved seat. It’s gonna be great. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jaded No More said:

I’m very loud…. 😂

We will go gate 1. And then I’ll hear my dad complain that we should never play away games at the G because he needs his reserved seat. It’s gonna be great. 

I don’t blame your dad. Sucks that there’s no reserved seats. The fact that it’s a replacement home game should mean more than just you don’t have to pay. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I don’t blame your dad. Sucks that there’s no reserved seats. The fact that it’s a replacement home game should mean more than just you don’t have to pay. 

This is the problem I have. We only get free entry. I am not expecting my reserved seat as it may be in a Hawthorn area but surely they can block off a couple of bays ( say 10 and 11 ) where reserved seat Melbourne members can go and just pick their own seats.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dl4e said:

This is the problem I have. We only get free entry. I am not expecting my reserved seat as it may be in a Hawthorn area but surely they can block off a couple of bays ( say 10 and 11 ) where reserved seat Melbourne members can go and just pick their own seats.

Yep. That’s easily done. It’s not like there’s gonna be a big crowd.