• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

2022 Finals Tickets

Ollie fan

So who here can give us an educated guess on what the crowd number will be?

All I've seen is that roughly 28,000 AFL Member tickets had been sold on Monday morning excluding the MCC. The MCC holds 23,000 seats and I'd assume it'd be filled to the brim.

That's about 50,000, plus whoever is getting tickets over the week. Is 65k realistic?

3 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

All I've seen is that roughly 28,000 AFL Member tickets had been sold on Monday morning excluding the MCC. The MCC holds 23,000 seats and I'd assume it'd be filled to the brim.

That's about 50,000, plus whoever is getting tickets over the week. Is 65k realistic?

Be nice to know the crowd size Vs number of tickets sold but I guess AFL and MCC members would change this number. 

8 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

It was 28,000 Public Tickets sold on Monday which included the AFL member figures.

Plus 14K MCC reserved seats sold and maybe 6K walk ups on the nights gets you to 48K.

Reckon there would be 5K more Public/AFL tickets sold since Monday and you are looking at 53K.

I think it could be as high as 58 but as low as 45. 65K is wishful thinking imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

It was 28,000 Public Tickets sold on Monday which included the AFL member figures.

Plus 14K MCC reserved seats sold and maybe 6K walk ups on the nights gets you to 48K.

Reckon there would be 5K more Public/AFL tickets sold since Monday and you are looking at 53K.

I think it could be as high as 58 but as low as 45. 65K is wishful thinking imo.

It doesn't really make sense to me. In round 15 we drew 40k on a Thursday night and it wasn't a final.

Considering that, is 60-65k really wishful thinking for a final?

One thing what we can be sure on though is that the crowd will be 80/20 in our favour. A lot less support for the lions in vic than Sydney.

Edited by Deenooos_
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

It doesn't really make sense to me. In round 15 we drew 40k on a Thursday night and it wasn't a final.

Considering that, is 60-65k really wishful thinking for a final?

One thing what we can be sure on though is that the crowd will be 80/20 in our favour. A lot less support for the lions in vic than Sydney.

Just going based on ticket sales and it isnt great.

Level 1 sold out except M35 and M36 (single seats available in M57).

Level 2 and 2A will be sold out.

But level 4 is not great.

• Q1-Q2 Rows A-J Sold
  • Q3-Q10 Rows A-T will be sold
  • Q11-Q15 Rows A-J will be sold
  • Q15-Q24 (Afl Reserve) Rows A-J will be sold
  • Q25-Q36 (Afl Reserve and Ponsford) Shut
  • Q37-Q48 (MCC) Sold out but some people will walk up on the night
  • Q49-Q53 Rows A-J on sale but wont sell out
  • Q54-Q57 Rows A-J will go on sale but barely touched.

Remember level 4 goes up to either Row DD or MM and we are talking about row J in most cases.

That gives you about a 25% capacity on level 4, compared to 80% last week.

So we lose at least 15K-20K on level 4 from a 78K crowd.

Just cannot see 60K happening

Edited by FearTheBeard
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Melbourne fans have maybe partially given up.

I'd argue Melbourne fans have more incentive to turn up as it might be our last final this year. Maybe I'm giving Melb fans a bit too much credit though...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

• Q1-Q2 Rows A-J Sold
  • Q49-Q53 Rows A-J on sale but may be 50% full

Love your work. 

But how the hellllll do you know this information?! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

I'd argue Melbourne fans have more incentive to turn up as it might be our last final this year. Maybe I'm giving Melb fans a bit too much credit though...

I think that there were around 55K of us against Sydney and it was probably the biggest Melbourne turnout I have ever seen. Probably 15K of them and 5K neutrals.

So realistically, even if there are 45K of us there on Friday, brisbane only bought 3,900 tickets on Monday which may mean there will be a max of 8K of them on the night. I think anything over 55K is a god effort. We are not a big club and we know that.

Take into account that your 10K extremely fair weather fans wont go to a semi but will be there for a QF or prelim.

5 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

• Q1-Q2 Rows A-J Sold
  • Q49-Q53 Rows A-J on sale but wont sell out

Remember level 4 goes up to either Row DD or MM and we are talking about row J in most cases.

Thanks this is the respond I was looking for.

You seem informed, can you tell me how many seats each level holds? I assume level 1 and 4 hold a good chunk of the total MCG seating capacity, but it'd be interesting to know.

2 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Love your work. 

But how the hellllll do you know this information?! 

I have a psychotic problem for crowd sizes lol.

I am an AFL member with Melbourne club support so I could see what was sold in the club members on sale originally and the AFL on sale.

I am also an MCC member so I can see what was available there even though I hate sitting there for AFL games coz I cant lose my [censored] with Melbourne without getting thrown out the joint,

Then I follow what has gone on sale in general public areas about 3 times a day.

I thought last week would be 77K so wasn't too far off,

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

Thanks this is the respond I was looking for.

You seem informed, can you tell me how many seats each level holds? I assume level 1 and 4 hold a good chunk of the total MCG seating capacity, but it'd be interesting to know.

Once upon a time I tried to calculate what each level holds but it is really difficult because each of the 57 bays on level 1 and 4 are slightly differnt with seats.

But I gave a rough estimate that it was:

• 36K level 1
  • 8K level 2
  • 4K Level 2A/3
  • 45-47K level 4
  • 5-7K standing room

Im probably off by around 5% per level but it gives a good guide and its why I think 55K-58K will be this weeks crowd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

I have a psychotic problem for crowd sizes lol.

I am an AFL member with Melbourne club support so I could see what was sold in the club members on sale originally and the AFL on sale.

I am also an MCC member so I can see what was available there even though I hate sitting there for AFL games coz I cant lose my [censored] with Melbourne without getting thrown out the joint,

Then I follow what has gone on sale in general public areas about 3 times a day.

I thought last week would be 77K so wasn't too far off,

Nice. 

I thought there was a possibility you worked for ticketek and I was gearing up to hurl some abuse your way once I got it out of you! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Nice. 

I thought there was a possibility you worked for ticketek and I was gearing up to hurl some abuse your way once I got it out of you! 

Lol, no I do not work for Ticketek but I also believe that people make lives more difficult than it needs to be for themselves.

I found that logging on too early means you never actually get in.

I log on with one device at 11:49 another at 11:53 and another at 11:55 and one of them (usually the 55) gets in just before 12.

The queue is bs which we all know, its pot luck which is not fair.

• Like 3

I stand every week even though I am a Redlegs member giving me access to reasonable seats.

Can anyone tell me why I couldn’t access Category 7 tickets on Tuesday - neither via Premium member or Club member?

I only had access to Categories 1, 2 and 6 from memory. When I clicked on Brisbane members I was able to get a Category 7 ticket (which I did).

In the event we win on Friday I’d like to know how best to get a standing area ticket (category 7). Are they only available when all seats are sold?

7 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I stand every week even though I am a Redlegs member giving me access to reasonable seats.

Can anyone tell me why I couldn’t access Category 7 tickets on Tuesday - neither via Premium member or Club member?

I only had access to Categories 1, 2 and 6 from memory. When I clicked on Brisbane members I was able to get a Category 7 ticket (which I did).

In the event we win on Friday I’d like to know how best to get a standing area ticket (category 7). Are they only available when all seats are sold?

A standing room ticket is not category 7.

Category 7 are the two cheer squad bays because they are dry bays (M3 and M33) and the very back of the Southern stand (Q1-Q7 rows U-DD).

Standing room only goes on sale when they are about to sell out all seated areas.

For a prelim where it is expected that we will get 90K+ the standing room tickets will go on sale when the club members on sale areas become exhausted.

3 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

I think that there were around 55K of us against Sydney and it was probably the biggest Melbourne turnout I have ever seen. Probably 15K of them and 5K neutrals.

So realistically, even if there are 45K of us there on Friday, brisbane only bought 3,900 tickets on Monday which may mean there will be a max of 8K of them on the night. I think anything over 55K is a god effort. We are not a big club and we know that.

Take into account that your 10K extremely fair weather fans wont go to a semi but will be there for a QF or prelim.

Surely there were 65,000/70,000 in 2018 against Cats and Hawks? We got over 90,00 to both games.  I agree with your estimate for about 55,000 of us last week.

Reclon if we make Prelim it will be a sellout with us outnumbering Cats by 5,/10,000 at least. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 58er said:

Surely there were 65,000/70,000 in 2018 against Cats and Hawks? We got over 90,00 to both games.  I agree with your estimate for about 55,000 of us last week.

Reclon if we make Prelim it will be a sellout with us outnumbering Cats by 5,/10,000 at least. 

Against the Hawks in 2018 there were at least 35K of them there and probabaly 50 of us.

Against the cats id still say 55K of us 25K them and 10K neutrals because it was the finals series ticket game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Against the Hawks in 2018 there were at least 35K of them there and probabaly 50 of us.

Against the cats id still say 55K of us 25K them and 10K neutrals because it was the finals series ticket game.

I believe 60,000 at both of us but I accept your knowledge of the MCG crowds.