Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Demons will win the flag in 2022.



Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

We need more from the second tier players

That's the key, Clint

Most of the 2nd tier players are down on their best.  In all cases, their best isn't great so to drop from reasonably good to average, fair or below par is definitely an issue 

Especially when we count up all the 2nd tier players.  An easier way to analyse is to list all our best players ... that adds up to 12-14 players.  Probably 15 if we count T-Mac

It could be that a lot of our 2nd tier players all had one of their best seasons all in the same year (last year) That can happen

As for our best players, we had about 9 of them last year that were in All- Australian contention but this year that number might be 3 - 5 (Oliver, Gawn, Petracca and maybe Brayshaw & Viney)

May, Lever, Langdon & Salem are not in contention like they were last year.  Injuries are a factor with a few of our best players too

Link to comment
Share on other sites



2 minutes ago, Macca said:

That's the key, Clint

Most of the 2nd tier players are down on their best.  In all cases, their best isn't great so to drop from reasonably good to average, fair or below par is definitely an issue 

Especially when we count up all the 2nd tier players.  An easier way to analyse is to list all our best players ... that adds up to 12-14 players.  Probably 15 if we count T-Mac

It could be that a lot of our 2nd tier players all had one of their best seasons all in the same year (last year) That can happen

As for our best players, we had about 9 of them last year that were in All- Australian contention but this year that number might be 3 - 5 (Oliver, Gawn, Petracca and maybe Brayshaw & Viney)

May, Lever, Langdon & Salem are not in contention like they were last year.  Injuries are a factor with a few of our best players too

That's right. Last year it would be fair to say that our bottom 6 players were as good as anyone going round, can't say that this year as the Cats have probably taken that mantle.

It was always going to be so hard to replicate the performances of last season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, layzie said:

That's right. Last year it would be fair to say that our bottom 6 players were as good as anyone going round, can't say that this year as the Cats have probably taken that mantle.

It was always going to be so hard to replicate the performances of last season.

I reckon the most logical answer is that 2nd tier players are called 2nd tier players for a reason

Some can play a role quite well, others have one standout game in 4 or 5 with the rest of the games being a mixed bag and some only have 1 or 2 decent year's in them and that's it

So a good club churns the 2nd tier players over or has an eye to keep bringing in good players either established elsewhere or through the draft (to replace the 2nd tier players)

And the best time to revitalise the list is when a team is in the premiership window ... certain 2nd tier players might be traded elsewhere in order to ultimately improve the list

If you sit still, you're going backwards.  The complication is that a premiership brings togetherness and a bond between and within the players and the supporters

So it's a tricky exercise moving players on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

I reckon the most logical answer is that 2nd tier players are called 2nd tier players for a reason

Some can play a role quite well, others have one standout game in 4 or 5 with the rest of the games being a mixed bag and some only have 1 or 2 decent year's in them and that's it

So a good club churns the 2nd tier players over or has an eye to keep bringing in good players either established elsewhere or through the draft (to replace the 2nd tier players)

And the best time to revitalise the list is when a team is in the premiership window ... certain 2nd tier players might be traded elsewhere in order to ultimately improve the list

If you sit still, you're going backwards.  The complication is that a premiership brings togetherness and a bond between and within the players and the supporters

So it's a tricky exercise moving players on

There's definitely a band of brothers feeling about Collingwood right now. Each player willing to put their body on the line for a teammate every time. You'd love watching this as a fan right now because it's so hard to capture this kind of synergy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

There's definitely a band of brothers feeling about Collingwood right now. Each player willing to put their body on the line for a teammate every time. You'd love watching this as a fan right now because it's so hard to capture this kind of synergy. 

McRae coaches to his players strengths and it's quality over quantity.  And he is a good communicator by the looks of it

By contrast we are heavily into quantity.  A lot of contested possessions, lots of handballing, lots of forward 50 entries etc etc ... and that served us well last year because we won the flag

But we were extremely efficient in the PF & GF so there's that.  We also scored 10 goals in the first half on Friday night so we're getting a lot right as well

But it's the fade-outs and the giving up of leads that are the concern

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Macca said:

McRae coaches to his players strengths and it's quality over quantity.  And he is a good communicator by the looks of it

By contrast we are heavily into quantity.  A lot of contested possessions, lots of handballing, lots of forward 50 entries etc etc ... and that served us well last year because we won the flag

But we were extremely efficient in the PF & GF so there's that.  We also scored 10 goals in the first half on Friday night so we're getting a lot right as well

But it's the fade-outs and the giving up of leads that are the concern

Yeah we're more about the 'Moneyball' approach, which has worked well and I can still get around it. You really just need a certain level of cutting edge in front of goal and then there's no complaints.

Fly does strike me as the kind of coach who would allow players' personalities to come out in their games. Embrace these guys for what they are and if they can be themselves then they can play the best footy that they can play. He doesn't seem like a coach that would plant regimen and structure into guys with a cookie cutter. The bloke deserves a lot of credit, very close to AA coach for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah we're more about the 'Moneyball' approach, which has worked well and I can still get around it. You really just need a certain level of cutting edge in front of goal and then there's no complaints.

Fly does strike me as the kind of coach who would allow players' personalities to come out in their games. Embrace these guys for what they are and if they can be themselves then they can play the best footy that they can play. He doesn't seem like a coach that would plant regimen and structure into guys with a cookie cutter. The bloke deserves a lot of credit, very close to AA coach for me. 

Yes, but the football gods can punish like no other.  Especially at Collingwood with their close on 30 GF losses

Their supporters are continually thrown huge doses of hope only for it to end in tears

McRae has done very well so far but if he doesn't win big, they'll go at him.  Even this year

Have you ever met a reasonably minded Pie supporter, layz? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yes, but the football gods can punish like no other.  Especially at Collingwood with their close on 30 GF losses

Their supporters are continually thrown huge doses of hope only for it to end in tears

McRae has done very well so far but if he doesn't win big, they'll go at him.  Even this year

Have you ever met a reasonably minded Pie supporter, layz? 

Wait a minute........ no. Actually hang on a second............................................ no. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, if MFC can win a game that is there to be won, a game not totally going our way and on our terms but we end up pinching it. One that we lead at every change and then hold off a challenge, that would go a long way to restoring my belief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, von said:

Our skills, running game and decision making will improve each week till the end, which is going to be a problem for a lot of teams.

I noticed aswell on friday Salem was back to his best. He was hitting up the short kick to CHF much like last season which gives a clean entry inside 50.

We have definitely been missing his skillful kicking and to be honest we need Bowey back in the team. His kicking is also elite and often changes angles with an inward kick on the 45. These guys really help our offence from our back half and rarely kick a wasteful kick down the line.

Edited by Deenooos_
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a million different ways this can play out.

Imo it's harder for us to miss the top 4 than make it.

If Collingwood wins both of Sydney and Carlton I am loading on them for the flag.

St Kilda will get a win against one of Sydney and Brisbane.

We'll beat one of Carlton and Brisbane.

I can see Carlton stealing one of Melbourne or Collingwood.

The Bulldogs having an easy run is actually good for us as it pressures the Saints into performing. 

Sydney losses to the Saints.

All teams need to keep winning and no team can afford to drop both. 

Outside of the Carlton games I'd so most battles are 50/50.

We win both then it's pointless discussing.

We all need to be barracking very very hard for the Saints on Friday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The next game against the Blues is critical. 

I'm not interested in dropping one of these games, we really need to win both as it's too close to finals to simply say, oh we'll put it together in the finals. It's like performing poorly in a practice exam, and assuming, with no other changes, that we'll perform in the final exam. We won't. This is our preparation for finals - we only have two more rounds to do it! We did a lot right on Friday, but as we learned then, we can still be beaten if we don't execute. 

Anyway.

Aside from beating GWS and the Eagles (yawn), the Blues' last 6 weeks has shown them being beaten by the Saints, Crows and the Lions. They are not traveling well right now, and there is no excuse for us not bringing the heat against them, and locking away a solid win before we travel north for another win on the road. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nathan Nones was on SEN before, he also highlighted the inability for us to control teams that move the ball quick. I honestly feel all we really need to do is tighten up our pressure, defensive structures on quick ball movement and the rest will take care of itself. We had enough scoring shots to win the game on Friday and our attack has been much better since the bye.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1029896
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if we should be more 1 on 1 in the forward half as opposed to giving effectively up to the wing away in order to set up behind the ball. Teams moving the ball fast don't allow this to happen as often so slowing them up in F50 would help immensely.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Macca said:

I reckon the most logical answer is that 2nd tier players are called 2nd tier players for a reason

Some can play a role quite well, others have one standout game in 4 or 5 with the rest of the games being a mixed bag and some only have 1 or 2 decent year's in them and that's it

So a good club churns the 2nd tier players over or has an eye to keep bringing in good players either established elsewhere or through the draft (to replace the 2nd tier players)

And the best time to revitalise the list is when a team is in the premiership window ... certain 2nd tier players might be traded elsewhere in order to ultimately improve the list

If you sit still, you're going backwards.  The complication is that a premiership brings togetherness and a bond between and within the players and the supporters

So it's a tricky exercise moving players on

Part of the 2nd tier syndrome problem is that no real new players have been introduced in place of the 2nd tier players from last year that have not "produced " in their roles this season. 

If you go through our list there have also been injuries so about 2/3 of our list have not improved nor have some been given a chance to succeed in the firsts.

I personally think Goody has protected and favoured Premiership players to an unhealthy extent that is providing almost an impossible chance for recruits and younger guys to be given a realistic chance of succeeding. 

Some players That have been overlooked too often are IMO Chandler, Laurie and Dunstan especially after high possession and goal scoring games. In addition others such as ANB Spargo and Even Harmesy might benefit from runs at Casey when not in top form. 

Then there has been the Fritsch and now Kossie selfishness vs team play which appears to have cost us wins and goals along with Maysie's restaurant ranting perhaps not being solved in an efficient and team spirit manner. 

Also it appears that after nearly 2 seasons The defence is not handling the strict May/Lever standards if 2021. 

Having all of the above it's not beyond us to weld together a la 2021 and produce our best under pressure and also get our other nemesis under control so we kick with greater accuracy in set shots. 

All our 30 players with ability are good enough and so are the Coaches it's up to us to solve these mostly changeable parts of our game up once again to be the hunted who relish a challenge and a hard battle to succeed grandly again.

we have played in fits and spurts with no idea of how to win when the pressure has been on in the last quarter. Back to basics is always the best in this situation. 

We knew it wouldn't be easy to go back to back and the footy gods are not on our side but we can do better  and drag this our way with good old fashioned heart and soul footy all on the same page. 

Go Dees!!! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Part of the 2nd tier syndrome problem is that no real new players have been introduced in place of the 2nd tier players from last year that have not "produced " in their roles this season. 

If you go through our list there have also been injuries so about 2/3 of our list have not improved nor have some been given a chance to succeed in the firsts.

I personally think Goody has protected and favoured Premiership players to an unhealthy extent that is providing almost an impossible chance for recruits and younger guys to be given a realistic chance of succeeding. 

Some players That have been overlooked too often are IMO Chandler, Laurie and Dunstan especially after high possession and goal scoring games. In addition others such as ANB Spargo and Even Harmesy might benefit from runs at Casey when not in top form. 

Then there has been the Fritsch and now Kossie selfishness vs team play which appears to have cost us wins and goals along with Maysie's restaurant ranting perhaps not being solved in an efficient and team spirit manner. 

Also it appears that after nearly 2 seasons The defence is not handling the strict May/Lever standards if 2021. 

Having all of the above it's not beyond us to weld together a la 2021 and produce our best under pressure and also get our other nemesis under control so we kick with greater accuracy in set shots. 

All our 30 players with ability are good enough and so are the Coaches it's up to us to solve these mostly changeable parts of our game up once again to be the hunted who relish a challenge and a hard battle to succeed grandly again.

we have played in fits and spurts with no idea of how to win when the pressure has been on in the last quarter. Back to basics is always the best in this situation. 

We knew it wouldn't be easy to go back to back and the footy gods are not on our side but we can do better  and drag this our way with good old fashioned heart and soul footy all on the same page. 

Go Dees!!! 
 

It has to be remembered that in 5 of the 6 losses we have played some very good football within those games ... and led  those 5 matches in the 25 point margin area

Even against Geelong we were within striking distance 10-15 minutes into the last quarter

So it's not like we've been swamped early and are then trying to play catch-up

And we've won 14 games

We're are still in the race but as previously mentioned, we almost certainly need to win all our remaining games to win it all

But our inside 50 forays need to be of a higher quality ... we need another tall marking option

3 talls works better than 2 and it keeps the opposition honest.  Bombing it to the forward pocket might have been an ok strategy when it was working but now we are just telegraphing our intentions and the other teams have figured out how to defend that strategy

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just frustrated that v Port and Freo I got the impression that we speared lower into the forward line than in our games v Coll and Footscrag where we just bomber it king and high into the picket.  Maybe it wasn’t so and just appeared to be because of the result, or maybe the opposition defence just didn’t handle it as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Macca said:

The bit to remember is that in 5 of the 6 losses we have played some very good football within those games ... and led in those 5 matches in the 25 point margin area

Even against Geelong we were within striking distance 10 - 15 minutes into the last quarter

So it's not like we've been swamped early and are then trying to play catch-up

And we've won 14 games

We're are still in the race but as previously mentioned, we almost certainly need to win all our remaining games to win it all

But our inside 50 forays need to be of a higher quality ... we need another tall marking option

3 talls works better than 2 and it keeps the opposition honest.  Bombing it to the forward pocket might have been an ok strategy when it was working but now we are just telegraphing our intentions and the other teams have figured out how to defend that strategy

“..We're are still in the race but as previously mentioned, we almost certainly need to win all our remaining games to win it a….”

Just 5 more wins please fellas, that’s all we ask for. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What concerns me regardless of what team we put onto the field is that the two best performing teams going around at present and ones that arguably provide the biggest obstacle to repeating our heroics from last season are Geelong and Collingwood. if we were too come up against a Geelong in the finals despite results this year, might there still be a bit of residual Geelong concern about what we might still be able to bring to a final's match?

But coming up against Collingwood in a final? I agree we were in it for large parts of the game and were overrun in the last but if past results are anything to go by, when I checked since 2017, Goodwin's record against the Pies is 2 wins for 7 losses with an average loss of just shy of 24 points. I realise finals are a different beast and past results are not necessarily predictors of future ones. But.... would Collingwood be particularly worried coming face to face again with the Dees at any stage of the finals? There's no scar tissue for this group of Pies and probably a great deal of confidence that they will find a way to beat the Dees whatever team structure we put onto the park!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, praha said:

There is a million different ways this can play out.

Imo it's harder for us to miss the top 4 than make it.

Around late July last year  I wasn't sure if we'd finish in the top 4,  at that stage we could have finished anywhere between 1st and 5th depending on how things played out.

At the end of the day a kick after the siren in our last game cemented top spot.

Sometimes everything goes right but my brain is once again doing the computations and uncertain where we'll finish this year - will be a bit of a bumpy 2 weeks for all clubs involved. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...