COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Why is there contemplation of the Melbourne V Collingwood game being anywhere else other than the MCG?

Pies are flying in/flying out this weekend.

We're flying in/flying out this weekend.

Both sides will be back in VIC on Sunday in preparation for the Dees V Pies games.

Both sides then have a bye.

Dees then play Essendon the following week in Melbourne.

We should not be hubbing through to 26 June. 

Firstly, the AFL likely doesn't want games played in front of empty stadia if there are alternatives available that will result in less of a financial loss.

Secondly, although both we and Collingwood have a bye afterwards, there are domino effects all over the place. For example, our following game vs Essendon is only 12 days after Queen's Birthday, which means if that game has to be played interstate, we won't have 14 clear days to quarantine (if that is a government requirement). Collingwood has the same issue, their Round 15 game is scheduled on the Saturday vs Fremantle in Melbourne, but Fremantle is scheduled to be in Perth the previous and following rounds, so if Fremantle can't come to Melbourne then Collingwood will have to go somewhere else, and hence the problem.

Now, it's possible (and indeed IMO probable) that by the time these games roll around the situation in Victoria will be better than it is now, but the AFL has to be prepared for it to be worse or at least the same.

• Like 2

So pretty much turning my year and family on end, to get back to Victoria for finals, which is hellish considering I am in Sudan, missus and baby are in Djibouti (and have French passports), the 2nd kid is in Cyprus (the one that actually likes football) and in the middle of changing jobs. The cost of the tickets will be fractional compared to the logistics around this circus and I am pretty much using every credit ever earned and mortgaging future ones for the remainder of my life. But I cannot cope with the idea of missing a successful campaign. Even if we fall short, I still feel the 2018 prelim game will not be repeated.  

But COVID is only part of the problem, My deep fear(MFCSS) is that the Norm Smith Curse has a new and ironic variant, make the Dees really good, then cancel the season.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So Jeff Kennett  has come out and said , it's all a disaster, too hard to make happen and we should call the season off.

I say having been through the years of non-competitiveness and having to watch Hawthorn win flag after flag he can suffer through. In fact I think he should be strapped to a chair and have his eyelids pried open and watch the Hawks 2021 season on repeat, for the rest of the year.  Happy days Jeff. I hope you get the opportunity to remain president for 3 of the next 5 spoons. Wouldn't that be lovely.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DEE fence said:

So pretty much turning my year and family on end, to get back to Victoria for finals, which is hellish considering I am in Sudan, missus and baby are in Djibouti (and have French passports), the 2nd kid is in Cyprus (the one that actually likes football) and in the middle of changing jobs. The cost of the tickets will be fractional compared to the logistics around this circus and I am pretty much using every credit ever earned and mortgaging future ones for the remainder of my life. But I cannot cope with the idea of missing a successful campaign. Even if we fall short, I still feel the 2018 prelim game will not be repeated.  

But COVID is only part of the problem, My deep fear(MFCSS) is that the Norm Smith Curse has a new and ironic variant, make the Dees really good, then cancel the season.

I’m in the UK but getting back in July, my MFCSS is telling me that when I return they’ll turn garbage again. I haven’t seen a H&A win live for about 7 years I reckon. 

Edited by Pates
  • Sad 1

I know it might be unpopular for people wanting to go to the game but I really think if it’s possible we should rearrange the GWS game to be in Alice. Perhaps we can negotiate to have the Essendon game as a replacement for members.

Losing both the QB and Alice will be such a massive hole in our budget, we should try to salvage at least one of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pates said:

I’m in the UK but getting back in July, my MFCSS is telling me that when I return they’ll turn garbage again. I haven’t seen a H&A win live for about 7 years I reckon. 

Of the 3 I have mentioned, I did see us smash Carlton in 2018. Just hoping being vaccinated helps.

If Hubs are off the table it means the AFL got an assurance from the Vic government that they don’t plan on having a long lockdown and extended restrictions for outdoor gatherings. Of course nobody knows what [censored] will hit the fan next, but make no mistake the AFL has their ear firmly in the Vic government. This is a big money making industry for a lot of people.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

That’s a fabulous result - let’s hope they can concoct something for the QBW game perhaps at the Gabba

You’ll get way more crowds at AO. 
QLD people don’t care enough about footy. Adelaide is also a much shorter trip. But I do recognize the problems with their hard border that they caused ?

• Like 2

Gerard Whateley suggested the QB game be played in Adelaide.  I thought it a good idea as Neale Daniher and the MND cause deserve to have a full house and it would be quite a spectacle at AO. 

Collingwood could stay in SA instead of FIFO this week (or go to Sydney) and we could stay in Sydney for 10 days before going to play in Adelaide.  Then both clubs return home for their byes.

We would lose a Home Game at the G but I reckon we get a Home Crowd advantage as 90% of the crowd would barrack for us; 100% of the Port fans!

SA gov't needs to be more flexible, after all it is their quarantine management breakdown that is the main reason we are now in lockdown. 

Also, Neale would be better known in SA than the northern states so it is the best chance of fund raising on the day.

Edit:  Just noticed there is a separate thread for the QB game and much of this post is covered there.  Didn't mean to duplicate.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Maybe they should stop the season now, and award the Premiership to the team on top? 

?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

You’ll get way more crowds at AO. 
QLD people don’t care enough about footy. Adelaide is also a much shorter trip. But I do recognize the problems with their hard border that they caused ?

And it's not a Public Holiday in Brisbane either. 

23 hours ago, Demonland said:

I guess it all depends on what the situation is in Victoria and the AFL footy landscape post QB.

If we are destined for a couple weeks or a months or 2 of hubs then where is the best place to play QB? If we hub in QLD beyond QB would the Gabba be a better option than the SCG in terms of bums on seats and in turn $$$.

No it's not a Public Holiday in  Brisbane on Monday 14 th. 

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Gerard Whateley suggested the QB game be played in Adelaide.  I thought it a good idea as Neale Daniher and the MND cause deserve to have a full house and it would be quite a spectacle at AO. 

Collingwood could stay in SA instead of FIFO this week (or go to Sydney) and we could stay in Sydney for 10 days before going to play in Adelaide.  Then both clubs return home for their byes.

We would lose a Home Game at the G but I reckon we get a Home Crowd advantage as 90% of the crowd would barrack for us; 100% of the Port fans!

SA gov't needs to be more flexible, after all it is their quarantine management breakdown that is the main reason we are now in lockdown. 

Also, Neale would be better known in SA than the northern states so it is the best chance of fund raising on the day.

Edit:  Just noticed there is a separate thread for the QB game and much of this post is covered there.  Didn't mean to duplicate.

100% agree. Adelaide oval is a great idea. SA government are being rediculous. These afl teams and staff have been under lockdown conditions longer than the general public, get tested regularly and if God forbid a player or staff member was found to be positive it would be an easy contact tracing exercise , exposure sites would be counted on one hand and close contacts all known immediately

• Like 1