Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Fremantle


Demonland

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Btw Kozzie got fined, again, for a rough conduct charge.  Yet nothing to the Freo players who flattened Viney and Hunt with body hits to the head.  Would have expected fines for them at least.  Nothing.

How does the hit against Hunt not get recognised with a suspension? Was late, high and careless. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ham said:

How does the hit against Hunt not get recognised with a suspension? Was late, high and careless. 

Would have been nice if it was at least looked at as the elbow did go up. May have been for his own protection but if we're going to judge things on how hurt someone is then make it consistent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, layzie said:

Would have been nice if it was at least looked at as the elbow did go up. May have been for his own protection but if we're going to judge things on how hurt someone is then make it consistent. 

There were small moments in the game where someone needed to step in to give players advice, that was one of them. Hunt was clearly disoriented and wasn't in the best condition to take the kick, why didn't someone walk over to him and say "Hunty you did your job, you put your body on the line now get checked out and let someone else take the kick". Same with Preuss, trying to kick for goal from an impossible angle. Someone should have gone to him and told him exactly where to put it.

Down to poor leadership at the end of the day.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, layzie said:

Would have been nice if it was at least looked at as the elbow did go up. May have been for his own protection but if we're going to judge things on how hurt someone is then make it consistent. 

I don't get why it wasn't 50 meters.

The head sacrosanct, unless it is the lesser players and clubs.

Choose to bump, put his shoulder into the head deliberately and feet left the ground.

No protection from AFL incorporated. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey AF.

You might have sounded knowlegeble making me sound outdated defended Goodys full man/ part man presses but like to hear you debate Luke Hodge who ridiculed our defence.

Luke Hodge says Melbourne’s lack of uncontested possessions in Monday night's loss to Fremantle exposed the side’s defensive frailties.

The Demons went down by 14 points in wet and windy conditions at Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns, losing the uncontested possession count by a whopping 108.If Hodge was a leader at Melbourne, he would immediately question their defensive mindset and whether certain players in the side were “only worried about getting the ball”.

“When you’re in those conditions, it’s usually a surge game and contested style of football,” the four-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s Whateley.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
00:00 of 01:48Volume 0%
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Fremantle last night had 206 uncontested possession to Melbourne’s 98 and what that shows me is defensively you’re not switched on so you’re only worried about getting the ball.

“If I was captain, I would be looking at that and saying, ‘Where’s you’re effort defensively?’, as soon as you bring defensive effort and shut down half those uncontested possessions, it makes Fremantle doubt themselves and then they’ll start making mistakes.

“The way Melbourne defended against them, Freo could do whatever they wanted so that would be the first thing I would (point out) – don’t worry about offensively getting the ball before their midfield can find the ball.

“Where they need to start focusing is defensively and making the opposition doubt and putting fear in their mind so when they do get the ball, they make mistakes and they can score from turnover.

“They need to dig deeper on the defensive end.”

Melbourne now face an uphill battle to play finals after two losses in the space of five days, which leaves them in 10th spot with two games left to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, jnrmac said:

No one gets to AFL without some decent skills. Yes they can fail under pressure but they all start with being able to kick handball and mark

That may have been true 20 years ago. But it isn't any more. Plenty of players set to the AFL with sub standard skills  particularly kicking skills.

You only have to look who we have drafted in the last decade.

Kicking takes years of practice. And time. Like a golf swing it has to be drilled through repetition. Hundreds of thousands of kicks.

Twenty plus years ago kids played kick to kick in the strrets, in parks and at school. Have a look around next year and see how many kids you see kicking the footy for fun or even just have a footy in their hands.

Also now the the kids getting drafted have more often than not played more than one sport, frequently at an elite level. So have to spilt their training tim and practice times. Which might help in some ways (eg translatable skills) but does nothing in terms of helping develop kicking skills.

And I don't know but I'd be guessing that in elite junior footy rhey spend less time on kicking skills now (as they have to focus on a bunch of other things like tactics) than they did 30 years ago.

Just on kicks Liam Ryan for the Eagles is the sweetest kick i have seen for years. A thing if beauty. Economical action, great rhythm and deadly accurate.

Ill bet London to a brick he grew up with a footy in his hand.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Hey AF.

You might have sounded knowlegeble making me sound outdated defended Goodys full man/ part man presses but like to hear you debate Luke Hodge who ridiculed our defence.

Luke Hodge says Melbourne’s lack of uncontested possessions in Monday night's loss to Fremantle exposed the side’s defensive frailties.

The Demons went down by 14 points in wet and windy conditions at Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns, losing the uncontested possession count by a whopping 108.If Hodge was a leader at Melbourne, he would immediately question their defensive mindset and whether certain players in the side were “only worried about getting the ball”.

“When you’re in those conditions, it’s usually a surge game and contested style of football,” the four-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s Whateley.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
00:00 of 01:48Volume 0%
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Fremantle last night had 206 uncontested possession to Melbourne’s 98 and what that shows me is defensively you’re not switched on so you’re only worried about getting the ball.

“If I was captain, I would be looking at that and saying, ‘Where’s you’re effort defensively?’, as soon as you bring defensive effort and shut down half those uncontested possessions, it makes Fremantle doubt themselves and then they’ll start making mistakes.

“The way Melbourne defended against them, Freo could do whatever they wanted so that would be the first thing I would (point out) – don’t worry about offensively getting the ball before their midfield can find the ball.

“Where they need to start focusing is defensively and making the opposition doubt and putting fear in their mind so when they do get the ball, they make mistakes and they can score from turnover.

“They need to dig deeper on the defensive end.”

Melbourne now face an uphill battle to play finals after two losses in the space of five days, which leaves them in 10th spot with two games left to play.

The chances to play accountable footy this season against the likes of the Cats in the early part of the year and other games like the one just gone have long passed us by HFF.

You rarely get second chances at this level and i'm not even sure Goody has the will or the wherewithal to bring this into the group.

We are easy beats for very good reasons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

The chances to play accountable footy this season against the likes of the Cats in the early part of the year and other games like the one just gone have long passed us by HFF.

You rarely get second chances at this level and i'm not even sure Goody has the will or the wherewithal to bring this into the group.

We are easy beats for very good reasons.

So true RN. I think when Goody told the players at half time to not play boring, what does that mean? enormously confused the players if he hasnt carefully explained they will not be held accountable for being daring and making the odd mistake, Malcolm Blight style. We do not know but I think it might be in the messaging RN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Half forward flank said:

Hey AF.

You might have sounded knowlegeble making me sound outdated defended Goodys full man/ part man presses but like to hear you debate Luke Hodge who ridiculed our defence.

Luke Hodge says Melbourne’s lack of uncontested possessions in Monday night's loss to Fremantle exposed the side’s defensive frailties.

The Demons went down by 14 points in wet and windy conditions at Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns, losing the uncontested possession count by a whopping 108.If Hodge was a leader at Melbourne, he would immediately question their defensive mindset and whether certain players in the side were “only worried about getting the ball”.

“When you’re in those conditions, it’s usually a surge game and contested style of football,” the four-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s Whateley.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
00:00 of 01:48Volume 0%
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Fremantle last night had 206 uncontested possession to Melbourne’s 98 and what that shows me is defensively you’re not switched on so you’re only worried about getting the ball.

“If I was captain, I would be looking at that and saying, ‘Where’s you’re effort defensively?’, as soon as you bring defensive effort and shut down half those uncontested possessions, it makes Fremantle doubt themselves and then they’ll start making mistakes.

“The way Melbourne defended against them, Freo could do whatever they wanted so that would be the first thing I would (point out) – don’t worry about offensively getting the ball before their midfield can find the ball.

“Where they need to start focusing is defensively and making the opposition doubt and putting fear in their mind so when they do get the ball, they make mistakes and they can score from turnover.

“They need to dig deeper on the defensive end.”

Melbourne now face an uphill battle to play finals after two losses in the space of five days, which leaves them in 10th spot with two games left to play.

This is why Goodwin can't coach

It was I think 103 to 44 at half time

Blindly freaking obvious how Freo were playing yet we did nothing at all about letting them control the football

Anyone care to defend that? 

He's [censored] hopeless so it's our vaunted leadership

 

Get hodge

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pates said:

There were small moments in the game where someone needed to step in to give players advice, that was one of them. Hunt was clearly disoriented and wasn't in the best condition to take the kick, why didn't someone walk over to him and say "Hunty you did your job, you put your body on the line now get checked out and let someone else take the kick". Same with Preuss, trying to kick for goal from an impossible angle. Someone should have gone to him and told him exactly where to put it.

Down to poor leadership at the end of the day.

Absolutely, and the more I've seen it since the more I get angry about it. Pretty sure Melksham was one of the closest, there's definitely something in it when people say they are playing for themselves right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 10:20 AM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Playing Preuss in horrid conditions as a forward/resting ruck was an embarrassing call by the selectors. One we were all critical of in the lead up to the game.

Why didn't they play T Mac or Brown as our second key forward?

I was one of the posters that called for Preuss to be included up frwd a few weeks ago given that tmac was not working.

I was told by a few that this was a bad call. Happy when they did choose him so I could bathe in a haughty atttitude.

I was wrong. So very wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 8:51 AM, jnrmac said:

This is why Goodwin can't coach

It was I think 103 to 44 at half time

Blindly freaking obvious how Freo were playing yet we did nothing at all about letting them control the football

Anyone care to defend that? 

He's [censored] hopeless so it's our vaunted leadership

 

Get hodge

Harsh but accurate.

This issue that 'blind freddie' could see can be added to the list in general - dominating inside 50's, Taps to advantage for little rewards, goal kicking inaccuracy, failure to hit targets.

All since 2017 yet Simon keeps talking without any perceived actions and/or corresponding improvements.

I hope we make it , but insipid performances next 2 weeks will put Simon under the Board's blowtoch big time I would have thought and may be a blessing in disguise.

Finals this year will be simply a reprieve for the end of his contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 8:51 AM, jnrmac said:

This is why Goodwin can't coach

It was I think 103 to 44 at half time

Blindly freaking obvious how Freo were playing yet we did nothing at all about letting them control the football

Anyone care to defend that? 

He's [censored] hopeless so it's our vaunted leadership

 

Get hodge

I won't defend it per se junior.

But i listended to that hodge interview (actually really insightful). In regard to tbe uncontested possessions his criticsism was firmly on the players, not goody, for simply not gut running to get across and cover. Basically said they did not work hard enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 38

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 50

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 286

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6

    TRAINING: Wednesday 7th February 2024

    A bunch of Demonland Trackwatchers enjoyed the sunshine at Gosch's Paddock to watch a rapidly depleted Dees go through their paces with exactly a month to go until a ball is bounced in anger. DEMONLAND'S PRESEASON TRAINING OBSERVATIONS REHAB: Brown, Hunter, AMW, Fullarton, Turner, Clarry, TMac, Melksham, McAdam ABSENT: Smith All players in Blue guernseys today. Clarry is in the building (Gosch’s Paddock). Petty is present with footy boots on.  Clarry doing dril

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 1

    THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT WAS: 2023

    When the dust settled on 2023, the Melbourne Football Club coach Simon Goodwin lamented that the club knew it needed to score more to land a second premiership in the current era. He opined that an average of one more goal per game would have had his charges in football’s stratosphere.  Goodwin was right and, based on his team’s scoring opportunities, that extra goal (and more) was well within its grasp if only they had better converted their shots at goal. Take the side’s last six defeats

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 7
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...