Jump to content

Recommended Posts

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

And also allow us the luxury of not playing other smalls/mediums who might not be ready for AFL just yet YB.  They can continue to work and hone their craft at Casey a little longer and show us their potential there before getting a lucky window call up through injury, suspension or poor form if they've earned it.

Greater depth will also mean spots in the 22 are harder to come by putting pressure on those in the 22 to maintain their performace.

Something we found out was sadly lacking this season with a stack of games being gifted (yes often through injury necessity) to players who clearly weren't in form and/or able to take the step up required at AFL level.

No one was gifted games this year the injury list was so high through out the year. There was a even amount of casey listed players and demon list players  every week at VFL games, and for most  of time more Casey listed players playing, we used 40 players this year, people have to get it in there head injures and bad form to tommy Mac  where the reason we ended up in 17th, there where times when we only had 26 fit players to pick from.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Redleg said:

How did he cost them a flag?

Maybe the Club should come out and say something...........10 games is quite a few goals, some wins and maybe less injuries and getting them over the line. My opinion ok?

 

16 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

By far the most ridiculous comment I have read in a long time.

A/A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

How does that talk his price up? We would be aware of who is interested, his manager would have told us. This could have the opposite effect, in that we know other clubs are interested this is our best offer and it is open to reducing if you mess us around. If you have a better offer take it there will be no negotiating. If they say they have a better offer and come back to you you know you have him.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

You're kidding, surely.

As if those comments from goody would have any impact whatsoever on Elliott's asking price.

That's up there with thinking Tomlinson's game against the lions would be factor in the decision to recruit him.

Double sheesh.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ManDee said:

How does that talk his price up? We would be aware of who is interested, his manager would have told us. This could have the opposite effect, in that we know other clubs are interested this is our best offer and it is open to reducing if you mess us around. If you have a better offer take it there will be no negotiating. If they say they have a better offer and come back to you you know you have him.

 

You've spoken to him then MD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, binman said:

You're kidding, surely.

As if those comments from goody would have any impact whatsoever on Elliott's asking price.

That's up there with thinking Tomlinson's game against the lions would be factor in the decision to recruit him.

Double sheesh.

So officially hearing that our coach is super eager to get him along with "many others" doesn't effect his manager's ability to upsell a little Bin?

Surely you aren't that naive.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

So officially hearing that our coach is super eager to get him along with "many others" doesn't effect his manager's ability to upsell a little Bin?

Surely you aren't that naive.

And if Goody had been lukewarm Elliott might have said "they aren't really interested".  You're just looking for reasons to criticize. 

I don't think Bin is naive.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

And if Goody had been lukewarm Elliott might have said "they aren't really interested".  You're just looking for reasons to criticize. 

I don't think Bin is naive.

Not looking at all BB.  Just calling as i see / read it.  Certainly don't expect Goody to say the opposite and to expect so would also be very naive.

You might wish to re-read what i said as i'm not inferring he totally [censored] up as you are suggesting.

All i'm saying is there's nothing to be gained by adding the "Many clubs" line into the comment.  The rest was fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

So officially hearing that our coach is super eager to get him along with "many others" doesn't effect his manager's ability to upsell a little Bin?

Surely you aren't that naive.

Do you think in the meetings with Elliot and his manager Goodwin didn't say we'd 'you're a great player and we'd love to have you at the Melbourne Football Club.'

He's not going to 'neg' him: 'Jamie, you're terrible; no one else wants you; you're lucky to have us... sign now!'

 

He is in demand with 4-5 clubs wanting him to choose them.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Do you think in the meetings with Elliot and his manager Goodwin didn't say we'd 'you're a great player and we'd love to have you at the Melbourne Football Club.'

He's not going to 'neg' him: 'Jamie, you're terrible; no one else wants you; you're lucky to have us... sign now!'

 

He is in demand with 4-5 clubs wanting him to choose them.

Feel free to re-read the post again 39...i'm not saying he shouldn't say positives about the prospective recruit at all.  You and a few others are conveniently missing the point i was making to make a contrary argument.

Feel free to make one but could you at least address the point in question please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baghdad Bob said:

And if Goody had been lukewarm Elliott might have said "they aren't really interested".  You're just looking for reasons to criticize. 

I don't think Bin is naive.

What a coach says in the media and what offers his manager is fielding from the club are two very different things. He would know that 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

So officially hearing that our coach is super eager to get him along with "many others" doesn't effect his manager's ability to upsell a little Bin?

Surely you aren't that naive.

As if Elliot was not aware Goody is super eager to get him, or that other clubs are also keen. These discussions would have been going on for at least 12 months - or more.

Every club in the league would know who other clubs are looking at. Well before it leaks into the media or football forums

Elliot and his manager would know exactly how keen or other wise we are. Dollars would have already been put out there. For Pete's sake the club officially announced our interest in drafting him a couple of weeks back. You don't so that unless you are super keen.

I reiterate  Goody's comments would have absolutely zero influence  on his Elliot's manager's ability to wrangle a higher contract. Zero.

 

 

 

Edited by binman
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Feel free to re-read the post again 39...i'm not saying he shouldn't say positives about the prospective recruit at all.  You and a few others are conveniently missing the point i was making to make a contrary argument.

Feel free to make one but could you at least address the point in question please.

In no way could his interview have talked up his price.

Elliot and his manager know we want him.

Elliot and his manager know other clubs want him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

How would saying every club would like to have him or I doubt many clubs would like him have any effect on his value? If you go to an auction and a prospective buyer says I'd like this house and so would many others do you seriously think other bidders will think I better pay more? We go into auctions with a price that we will go up to as a maximum and hope to get it cheaper, no amount of spruiking will affect the price, actual other interested bidders will. Another bidder may value the property higher than you but you can't do anything about that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ManDee said:

How would saying every club would like to have him or I doubt many clubs would like him have any effect on his value? If you go to an auction and a prospective buyer says I'd like this house and so would many others do you seriously think other bidders will think I better pay more? We go into auctions with a price that we will go up to as a maximum and hope to get it cheaper, no amount of spruiking will affect the price, actual other interested bidders will. Another bidder may value the property higher than you but you can't do anything about that.

Why say it at all MD?  Why speak on behalf of 'supposedly' other clubs?  Just get the deal done if it's within budget / cap etc.

Speaking of auctions...the ones i attend anyway, if serious buyers are at the auctions i go to i most certainly know i 'may' have to dig deeper to get something i value vs if they aren't.

If they aren't i'm more likely to get a bargain (albeit there are no gtees at an auction or with any particular item, sometimes just comes down to who is there on the day).  I certainly would prefer the auction house doesn't talk up the stock at hand though.  Would rather they don't say anything and let market forces take their course.  Of course that's with 'buyer' bias.  If i'm the vendor i want the complete opposite and the whole world to be told.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Why say it at all MD?  Why speak on behalf of 'supposedly' other clubs?  Just get the deal done if it's within budget / cap etc.

Unlike you I will answer your question. He is letting the player know that he is valued. It is a feel good thing to say that means exactly nothing, it will not affect his value.

I enjoy your posts Rusty and I am sure so do many others. 

Now are you a better or more worthwhile poster? No, but it might make you feel good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ManDee said:

Unlike you I will answer your question. He is letting the player know that he is valued. It is a feel good thing to say that means exactly nothing, it will not affect his value.

I enjoy your posts Rusty and I am sure so do many others. 

Now are you a better or more worthwhile poster? No, but it might make you feel good.

As i said MD i totally get and respect the positive 'very good player / required player' talk and Goody is saying nothing more or less than any other coach, player official etc would say under similar circumstances.  I just don't see any upside (for us) in bringing in the 'many other clubs are interested' aspect.

I am happy to disagree on this one and fully respect your (and other's) alternate views here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Why say it at all MD?  Why speak on behalf of 'supposedly' other clubs?  Just get the deal done if it's within budget / cap etc.

Why?

Why not is a more pertinent question.

But one very likely reason might be as part of a strategy to play to dees supporters eg 'look we are targeting Elliot, but so are other clubs, which is only natural as he is an excellent player'

Why might be he do that? Lots of possible reasons, such as:

  • He is lying and we are the only club seriously looking at him. But between us and his manager we are more than happy to feed rumors that he is wanted man. And why might we do that? To make our decision to target him more appealing to our fans and mitigate against potential criticism of say the terms of our offer ($ and length of contract)
  • To support the positive narrative the MFC have be pushing with  puff pieces of late - look we are a serious player for a wanted gun!
  • To make it all seem more exciting!
  • He is telling the truth (likely), for good reason, and sees no reason not to share it with dees fans or the general footy public
Edited by binman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

How dare the coach be honest in the media and reflect the true status of negotiations/decision making. The horror.

Elliott's clearly got options, we've got interest but sounds like we aren't going to offer him stupid money and he might chose another option. Realistic.

The worst possible media relations outcome for this trade period is that we don't sign any players and get a reputation like North. Tempering fan expectations with free agents who have full control over their destiny is perfectly reasonable.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binman said:

As if Elliot was not aware Goody is super eager to get him, or that other clubs are also keen. These discussions would have been going on for at least 12 months - or more.

Every club in the league would know who other clubs are looking at. Well before it leaks into the media or football forums

Elliot and his manager would know exactly how keen or other wise we are. Dollars would have already been put out there. For Pete's sake the club officially announced our interest in drafting him a couple of weeks back. You don't so that unless you are super keen.

I reiterate  Goody's comments would have absolutely zero influence  on his Elliot's manager's ability to wrangle a higher contract. Zero.

 

 

 

Spot on @binman

Take Goodys comments with a grain of salt, all the planning and prices would have been agreed to a long time ago.

The only uncertain issues would be, what Elliot wants (to stay or move) and what Collingwood will get as compensation (FA).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

1. In no way could his interview have talked up his price.

2. Elliot and his manager know we want him.

3. Elliot and his manager know other clubs want him.

1.  There is no way of knowing that either way 39.  We are all speculating.  You may well be correct.

2.  Agreed

3.  No argument but i doubt we would know fullly every detail/truth as to every single club that is seriously in play for Elliot.  Recall the Saints had no idea Ross was signed, sealed and delivered till it all went down and were none the wiser at any point during the season even though discussions must have been well under way at least a few weeks out.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, binman said:

Why? Why not is a more pertinent question.

But one very likely reason might be as part of a strategy to play to dees supporters eg 'look we are targeting Elliot, but so are other clubs, as which is only natural as he is an excellent player'

Why might be he do that? Lot's of possible reasons, such as":

  • He is lying and we are the only club seriously looking at him. But between us and his manager we are more than happy to feed rumors that he is wanted man so> And why night we do that? To make our decision to target him more appealing to our fans and mitigate against criticism of say the terms of our offer ($ and length of contract)
  •  To support the positive narrative the MFC have be pushing with  puff pieces of late - look we are a serious player for a wanted gun!
  • To make it a seem more exciting!
  • He is telling the truth (likley) and, for good reason, sees no reason not to share it with dees fans or the general footy public

 

11 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

How dare the coach be honest in the media and reflect the true status of negotiations/decision making. The horror.

Elliott's clearly got options, we've got interest but sounds like we aren't going to offer him stupid money and he might chose another option. Realistic.

The worst possible media relations outcome for this trade period is that we don't sign any players and get a reputation like North. Tempering fan expectations with free agents who have full control over their destiny is perfectly reasonable.

There is little honour among thieves gents.  Don't give a sucker and even break and keep your hand close to your chest.

We are all adults and get that Goody is going to say we are interested and that we are making a big play for him.  As an adult i also get that like any other FA situation he is fair game and he might stay or be picked up by someone else with a better offer.  I don't need to be told that via an interview.

I just (personally) dislike the fact Goody is speaking / speculating that "Many other clubs" are getting involved.  Obviously yourselves and others don't.  All good.  Personally i see no upside (for us) in adding that part.  The rest of what he said is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

Nine posts from you on this. Dig in!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Nine posts from you on this. Dig in!

And to think i only intended to post once!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...