What to do with Petracca?

WERRIDEE

1 minute ago, Smokey said:

Still thinking of changing your username or are you back on board the Italian stallion train? I know I am 

All aboard.

Ready for the inevitable 30 disposal, 5 goal game thats on the way from him very soon.

• Like 1

Everyone unfortunately tends to be too wound up in popular narratives. It works because the human mind prefers set equations as opposed to ambiguity.

Many here, and in the media, are constantly carping on about when Tracc will have his 'breakout game'. Personally I would prefer 22 games of steady reliable play as opposed to a sound bite ready 'moment'. 

He is finding his feet now. Let him continue to do so and the rewards will be his (and ours) come the end of the year.

4 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

His second goal showed how important he can be for us going forward. Kicking it 45-50 metres while being slung in a tackle shows when he plays on instinct he can be

Agree  'DZ'...   that sling goal is one of those occasions when his size helped him maintain body posture for longer,  until he got the ball away.

But generally he can be a lot better for us,  If he sheds 5 Kgs...  he would be more active in all positions.   Especially with our defensive aspects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

From Goodwin:

"He's been sensational the last two weeks and he's getting reward for his effort now..."He's winning a lot of one-on-one contests, he's working really hard...He's developed a few techniques to get off his man and I'm really liking his game at the moment."

He is growing with every game.  Some of the things he did last night were outstanding.  Time to cut him some slack.

The best way of judging Trac's game last night (or any time maybe) is who would have kicked those 2 goals especially the second.?

Also last week vs Bombers inclose on his left foot his strength won out.

Once you eliminate 3/4 of the Forward  line I suggest probably only Tommy Mac (WC Round 14 2027 winning goal) Clarry  and maybe Melkshake .

Also his heavy traffic performance IMO is priceless to our goal scoring capability like to Jonesy last  night and in the Elim Final.

Another point is that we have 2 elite ball users and currently moderate contributors in the forward line in Weid and Spargo. Now they both don't get enough of the ball snd need games and experience to develop that as they both are only about 25 games into their careers!

The balance and bonus of playing them consistently should not be overlooked unless they have a real period of low confidence (like Oscar at the moment).They Both Have one or two great skills Weid good ball handling superb kicking  fir goal esp. Marking still a work in progress. Good team player as well.  Spargs footy brain and disposal ability are a natural born elite skill that will stand him in good stead throughout his career. Yes more pace stronger  tackling  and greater kicking depth are needed to become an excellent AFL small player. Wonder if he could develop like Calem Daniel of the Dogs?

So keep Trac and develop game time for Weid and Spargs and inFinals (whenever ) the tests will come for them all.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

From Goodwin:

"He's been sensational the last two weeks and he's getting reward for his effort now..."He's winning a lot of one-on-one contests, he's working really hard...He's developed a few techniques to get off his man and I'm really liking his game at the moment."

He is growing with every game.  Some of the things he did last night were outstanding.  Time to cut him some slack.

We have been for 4 years  'LH'.

He doesn't need apologists.

We haven't been asking for any more than 100% commitment.   We haven't asked for him to star BOG',  every week... or even one week.   Just 100% effort to each contest...  and to stay in the contest,  even when the ball is out of his reach.  Even when he overruns the contest, or the ball.  get back at it.

... that is all we've been going on with...    be competitive,  all game.

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

Agree  'DZ'...   that sling goal is one of those occasions when his size helped him maintain body posture for longer,  until he got the ball away.

But generally he can be a lot better for us,  If he sheds 5 Kgs...  he would be more active in all positions.   Especially with our defensive aspects.

If he sheds 5kg he inevitably loses some strength through the hips to withstand tackles. It's not worth it. 

People should stop obsessing over his body type and weight and encourage him to play to his strengths. His body is simply built this way. Sure, his cardio could improve I guess, but that doesn't necessarily need to correlate with his weight. Cardio capacity can be improved without significant weight loss. 

I like the way he is built, he's bloody hard to tackle. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

giphy.gif

Thanks.

Really liked his low key reaction to kicking a important and magical goal out of congestion, under pressure on pure instinct.  No fanfare, just stayed calm.  He is maturing!

For those obsessing about his weight.  If he didn't have the lower body strength he would have been dragged down in that tackle and never kicked that goal.  Important goal re the position of the game. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Smokey said:

If he sheds 5kg he inevitably loses some strength through the hips to withstand tackles. It's not worth it. 

People should stop obsessing over his body type and weight and encourage him to play to his strengths. His body is simply built this way. Sure, his cardio could improve I guess, but that doesn't necessarily need to correlate with his weight. Cardio capacity can be improved without significant weight loss. 

I like the way he is built, he's bloody hard to tackle. 

He doesn't have to lose much strength, by losing weight.   He'll lose a little, not enough to mention...  But he will gain much more... Re agility,  speed to get back on feet,  and off the mark speed,  change of direction,  not to mention the lesser loads on his joints and muscles, of his body.

He is as heavy as Weideman, heavier than Frost, quite a bit heavier than VandenBerg.   Heavier than  tSmith,  jSmith,  Dec Keilty,  Lever... and he is a Flanker/Mid. trying to be.

15 minutes ago, rjay said:

great song  'rj'.

Hopefully one-day...   Christian could be great as well.

He has set the tone for himself now that he can play to,  without being In, or Out of form.   Just that amount of effort in each game he plays.

If he trained and played to that level,  every training session, and every game, he would lose weight,  and gain more muscle tone.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks.

Really liked his low key reaction

This really stood out.  He has previously been fairly exuberant when celebrating his good work.

Other than this goal I thought he played a different type of game focusing on the fundamentals, he chose the clear and simple option and wasn't trying to be  se  xy... and we all know that there is nothing sexier than that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DV8 said:

He doesn't have to lose much strength, by losing weight.   He'll lose a little, not enough to mention...  But he will gain much more... Re agility,  speed to get back on feet,  and off the mark speed,  change of direction,  not to mention the lesser loads on his joints and muscles, of his body.

He is as heavy as Weideman, heavier than Frost, quite a bit heavier than VandenBerg.   Heavier than  tSmith,  jSmith,  Dec Keilty,  Lever... and he is a Flanker/Mid. trying to be.

While I’m sure your credentials in high performance sports management are well known, i’ll Trust he’s in exactly the shape our FD department wants him 

Edited by Smokey
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Smokey said:

While I’m sure your credentials in high performance sports management are well known, i’ll Trust he’s in exactly the shape our FD department wants him 

If that's they're doing  (FD department),  his current weight/shape... they're wrong.

Maybe It's something from Mr Misson ?

• Haha 1

He was tough and clean.  He didn't fumble like he has been.  And he made really good decisions.

One of his best games.

Btw, how he didn't get a free kick for front on contact against Allir I'll never know.  

• Like 2

he's so balanced

i'm never expecting him to have a 'breakout' game tbh; i want consistency from him

if he can be consistent at having these 16-25 possession @ 70-80% efficiency, 1-3 goals, 3-6 tackles, 3-6 mark, 3-6 i50 games that i'd rather he manage that sort of output on a week-to-week basis than have one 30 disposal, 5 goal bog performance and a whole lot of 10 disposal, no effect on the game games

most important thing for me is that he reduces his turnovers - going at 4 a game thus far this year

• Like 2