Michelle Cowan and Daisy Pearce join the MFC

What

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

An excellent question! Now follow my arguement Stui I have already spoken about the way clubs appiont persons to do jobs!

So answer me this... Would you call a bloke who has a keen interest in electronics who happens to be a mate of yours to fix an electrical problem OR would you call an "A" Grade sparky!  ;)

Right, so you have no problem with Byrnes in a welfare role with no qualifications because he used to play, but you have a problem with Cowan having a welfare role despite the fact she has far superior credentials to Byrnes from a coaching and management point of view.

You should stop talking.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, picket fence said:

An excellent question! Now follow my arguement Stui I have already spoken about the way clubs appiont persons to do jobs!

So answer me this... Would you call a bloke who has a keen interest in electronics who happens to be a mate of yours to fix an electrical problem OR would you call an "A" Grade sparky!  ;)

Blah blah dumb analogies...

If you needed someone to kick a goal on the G from 50 out would you ask Tom Hawkins or someone who has a Diploma Of Football?

3 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Actually didn't know he was appionted to that role until now!

Wonder who will run the show??

That's the point. You never cared about Byrnes' credentials but you immediately question Cowan's.

Put 2 and 2 together there mate.

• Like 1

No Stui not dumb at all!

If you are a happy camper with this, Good luck! That is your prerogative!

I prefer to be a little more ah "Circumspect and Discerning" regarding these things!

^_^

Yes, but apparently only when it involves females.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Throw the bait out stui, It is the wrong type to catch a wily "Fence"

Appreciate your piont of view!

PS - Cowan has a Bachelor Of Science (Sports Management), and a Bachelor Of Social Science (Sports Management). She's also been working in football training and development for over 10 years.

But hey, Byrnes played footyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Where's her degree in Welfare, Wellbeing??

You do realise that "degree in Welfare" and "player welfare" are totally different things?

And what the hell is a "degree in wellbeing"? Doesn't "midwifery" fit in here???

Yeh, it's fun playing the curmudgeon, isn't it ... raising silly objections and then hammering them for another few posts, just for the attention it gets you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yeah well says it all eh but i beg to ask quals in "Wellbeing"?

And Yep Bynes played footy!!

There are many on this site who "Played Footy" to a pretty high standard and who have "Multiple" Degrees in Sorts and Wellbeing disciplines Stui,

But as I said If your a happy camper , so be it!

You honestly don't see how 2 Bachelor degrees in sports management (combined with her extensive footy experience) would qualify her for a welfare/development role in a footy club?

Are you actually trolling now? You can't be this dumb?

Edited by stuie

Ah Akum, welcome aboard, a degree in Welbeing is different from a degree in Welfare!

Essentially welfare takes in the nature of "Social Welfare" process, Scial service modalities where as Welbeing tends to focus on the individual as the process of engagement!

Ah Midwifery would have some "elements" of care in consignace with the generic role of assisting in delivery of babies and care of mothers but I don't see many of our players getting pregnant!

And No not playing curmudgeon at all, after all as I have said there are many on this site who played footy a bit and have a qualification or three!

This is a "welfare and development" role in a football club.

Cowan has over 10 years experience in coaching, training & development in professional football clubs. She also has 2 Bachelor degrees in Sports Management.

Pearce is the trained midwife.

Just to clarify AGAIN, it's "welfare" not "wellbeing".

And just to clarify AGAIN, she has more formal qualifications than Shannon Byrnes and Brendan McCartney, so you can stop pretending that that is what you care about when clearly your only concern is that a woman has broken into your precious boys club.

Sexist idiot.

Just now, picket fence said:

I'll give this one last go stui, A Degree in Sports Management has a very small element of Wellbeing attached but its not a major unit of study nor is it meant to be!

( Well it was when I did my Grad Dip at Rusden) Centuries ago! It was then called Sports Science 

A degree is a benchmark qualification , A graduate diploma is next followed by a Masters Degree etc.

No I don't consider myself "Dumb"

Shannon Byrnes, Full time Welfare and Development Coach - Formal training: None

Michelle Cowan, Part time Welfare and Development Coach - Formal training: 2 Bachelor Degrees in Sports Management (Science, Social Science)

You're saying you only want someone with the appropriate training yet you're happy with Byrnes and upset about Cowan.

You really should reconsider about the whole "dumb" thing....

And yes, I did notice you didn't deny being sexist.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

She'll be commuting to Melbourne for those work days, and judging by what's been said this is just the initial stage and the club ultimately wants her full time.

Kind of demeaning to call it up "publicity beat up job", have you actually seen Cowan's credentials?

Sure she has a reputation and credentials. Just not sure how a FIFO part timer could be of any benefit  for a job description that is somewhat unclear for value and relavence to a football team. There are plenty of  qualified persons of both genders without the big name  that can do a welfare job full time that live local. Must cost a lot of money to get her and service her expense account. And she seems to be juggling a lot of other commitments.  This one looks straight out of the Schwab playbook.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

Sorry Pickett but you are clearly out of your depth on this one. Your digging yourself a deep hole here Byron..

If you are happy to accept that our development and welfare officer goes out and gets on the [censored] with the boys all the time then im sorry but that doesn't exactly scream professionalismfrom Byrnes.

I am currently working in the youth and welfare department and i can absolutely say that majority of men that come in feel more confident in opening up and sharing personal information to woman then men. There is still too much of that horrendous 'boys club' culture in australia that males just females are much more easier to talk to.

I see Michelle Cowan doing exactly this for our club and as supporters we should feel extremely blessed to have her credentials and experience she will provide for our young players. Lets not forget the 'mother figure' she'll provide for our young kids who have had to move out of home to join our club. A female in this department is massive win for us.

• Like 5

Josh Mahoney or PJ or both are a little wacky with the job titles but who cares?

Her job will be to watch Casey games with players, provide a different voice and angle for development and no doubt work with the women's team.

I bet the AFL will either cover the costs or look upon us favourably for incurring the cost. That's not a knock of Michelle, that's a reality of the industry.

She's a mum. That's a greater education in welfare than any uni degree. 

The club has doctors, psychologists and sports psychologists on board for welfare as well. All they need to provide is coaches who have an eye for when something isn't right and a range of personalities. 

Shannon Byrnes is the former battling player who knows rejection, success and apparently is a decent bloke.

Brendan McCartney is a country gent who treats the players like his sons.

Michelle Cowan  is a mum.

Andrew Nichol is a school teacher. 

Fruity Allison is like a crazy uncle.

Paul Roos if for nothing else is known as a players coach. His wife teaches the players meditation. 

If players are having troubles and not one of these individuals notices or the player doesn't open up to one of them I don't think any wellbeing expert will help.

• Like 2

I wonder who is the "mother figure" at Hawthorn? Must have the joint wisdom and charisma  of the Blessed Mary, Lady Di,  Mother Theresa and Lady  Gaga no doubt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I wonder who is the "mother figure" at Hawthorn? The joint wisdom and charisma  of the Blessed Mary, Lady Di and Mother Theresa no doubt.

Ahh yess Hawthorn.. the club where your captain can drink and drive and still be considered a great club, where young players are up for rape charge, where Dayle Garlett started his ice addiction..

Sick of these [censored] comparisons with a club thats got a putrid culture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Ahh yess Hawthorn.. the club where your captain can drink and drive and still be considered a great club, where young players are up for rape charge, where Dayle Garlett started his ice addiction..

Sick of these [censored] comparisons with a club thats got a putrid culture.

............and wallows in filthy rotten Premierships.

• Like 1

So proud of my club, i call this gender mainstreaming and I'm all for it. 

Am impressed that the mysoginsts are finding more subtle arguments for attacking it, would have doubted that evolution possible but there is no doubting their true nature.

We will be a stronger club for casting a wider net in the search for people who can help us succeed. Thinking the only good coaches are those with tackle or formal qualifications is neanderthal. Trust is the key criteria, they have earned it by their conduct so am super happy for them to be part of the staff.

• Like 1

Fantastic move by the club, given the growth of female footy interest and Michelle being a woman will round off perspectives about welfare and treatment of women - really proud of my club right now about both appointments. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, picket fence said:

Ah now stui don't go puuting words into my mouth where did I say I was happy with Bynes??

Me Sexist?? Gee stui that's a harsh harsh call!

Never said I was upset with Cowan either read what I said! If she has a degree in Welbeing then I have no problem!

Stui lets face it I have the joker, Right Bower, Left Bower and enough cards to trump any arguement you have submitted tonight!

As I have said Stui, if your happy, so be it.

Thanks for your candour and honest ,forthright opinions, which after all, that's what this site is for !!

Cheers

"Fence";)

Not Stuie surely!!!!

Suspect it's more about tying them both to the club long-term. Especially with Cowan, if the Perth clubs are starting women's teams she'd be an ideal person for them to headhunt as their senior coach, but (given she's surely the premier female coach in the country) we want to keep her out of their hands.

Given there'll likely be a free-for-all with players and coaches when the new women's comp gets up and running, it makes sense to lock down the most important people ahead of time.

Well done to both ladies, and best of luck to both of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bananas said:

Suspect it's more about tying them both to the club long-term. Especially with Cowan, if the Perth clubs are starting women's teams she'd be an ideal person for them to headhunt as their senior coach, but (given she's surely the premier female coach in the country) we want to keep her out of their hands.

Given there'll likely be a free-for-all with players and coaches when the new women's comp gets up and running, it makes sense to lock down the most important people ahead of time.

Well done to both ladies, and best of luck to both of them.

It's even more than that.  This time next year the MFC women's team will be halfway through their pre-season. There' a hell of a lot of work to do between now and then, even though the club has been very proactive in this development.  These appointments, whatever the title, have surely been about securing the best leadership for that team and having them available for planning, scouting, recruitment and above all, to signal to women who want to play footy at a national level that MFC is the place to be.

• Like 3