WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

I still think Parish suits our needs more, with his pace and zip.

Oliver although tough looks a little slowish to me.

I think we have enough of the grunt types with Viney, Petracca,Vandenberg,Brayshaw and Jones

• Like 1

My only question:

Is he the Claytons Olliver....or the real thing ? :)

• Like 1

Is it just me or does Parish have that Scully, Gysberts, Toumpas build that cost us so badly a few years ago when recruiting whippets was the way of the future. We all know how that panned out.

Fyfe had that build too. Just sayin'

Some more info from a Richmond supporter who knows a fair bit about him:

He didn't test well at the start of the year because it was his first true year in the TAC system and came off zero pre season and I mean zero . He has always had a elite football ability however has had to learn to be more than just a turn up Thursday night play Saturday player which he has done admirably . His ability to perform against men has been the key for me . Played in the midfield in the strong GVFL comp as a 17 year old and was getting BOG's . Likewise stood up and got plenty of it in the VFL when playing as 23rd man for us this year . If he is available we take him and he becomes a instant best 22 inside mid . Wouldn't be surprised if he went past the likes of redden in his first year . Been on him for a while and ain't jumping off. he has been on some peoples radars for 5-6 years

it was put to him at the start of the year he needed to play like Rockcliffe who was also a bushranger and then later in the season like Cripps . Oliver has been on the radar for almost 10 years he was encouraged by his fav club to play like that and this comes from being directly privy to some of these events or conversations with his father , Steve . I don't h believe that a 17 / 18 year olds career is moulded in 8-9 months .

• Like 3

Is it just me or does Parish have that Scully, Gysberts, Toumpas build that cost us so badly a few years ago when recruiting whippets was the way of the future. We all know how that panned out.

Scully maybe, but completely different build to Toumpas and Gysberts.

Oliver is a real bullock. Love his attack on the footy and the player. Good evasive skills, good amount of time and space. Its an impressive highlights reel.

Doesn't seem to have the 'silk' factor which you probably want to see at a pick 3 but it seems you like you would get a bona fide inside mid workhorse in the mould of, say, a Dane Swan or Oliie Wines....

Oliver is a real bullock. Love his attack on the footy and the player. Good evasive skills, good amount of time and space. Its an impressive highlights reel.

Doesn't seem to have the 'silk' factor which you probably want to see at a pick 3 but it seems you like you would get a bona fide inside mid workhorse in the mould of, say, a Dane Swan or Oliie Wines....

Or a Viney, Brayshaw, Jones, vandenBerg... That's why I'm leaning towards Parish seeing the only similar-ish ones we have are Vince (who's 31 next year) and Tyson (who I'm backing to step up, but hasn't made as big an impact as we would have liked).

But we are supposedly looking for competetive players....so maybe he fits the bill....

Personally I am wary about the late bolter at the draft table... 6 months good form to win the Morrish is great but would want to ensure his pedigree from a long way back is good...

But we are supposedly looking for competetive players....so maybe he fits the bill....

Personally I am wary about the late bolter at the draft table... 6 months good form to win the Morrish is great but would want to ensure his pedigree from a long way back is good...

I think some are thinking Parish is an outside player because he has good skills. He's a tough ball winner as well. I know some Dees fans are a bit wary due to "skinny skillful" players we've taken in the past, but Parish is a different type to those.

And yeah, I'm the same with late bolters. I think we get sick of talking about the same players so every year a few names pop up late to keep the interest up.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

Maybe Oliver is a late bolter only to the media and football watchers!!

In a recent interview Taylor said we have a scout (whose name I have forgotten) who watches players from under12 onwards!!!

Taylor would also have the benefit of scouts for underage players from his days at Collingwood.

So Taylor has been watching him (and other draftees) for a very long time.

If Taylor takes Oliver @ 3 he will have a damn good reason.

And, it won't be because Oliver is suddenly making the headlines!

I for one won't be doubting Taylor's choice.

• Like 2

Could there be a scenario where we get Parish at 3 and Oliver at 7 and disregard a tall completely?

We will have Pederson & Frost coming back from injury, with Dawes as a decoy/support. Maybe we might look at drafting two mids (one with speed and outside class) the other a bollocking inside mid and see what happens next year in the draft of the year after where we haven't traded away our future pick to get a key forward?

If we get a forward in Wideman this year, I don't see him making an impact for 2+ years. Do we sit tight, draft talented midfielders who are more likely to make an impact within two years. and wait until a key forward becomes available within the next year or two via a trade or free agency?

Could there be a scenario where we get Parish at 3 and Oliver at 7 and disregard a tall completely?

We will have Pederson & Frost coming back from injury, with Dawes as a decoy/support. Maybe we might look at drafting two mids (one with speed and outside class) the other a bollocking inside mid and see what happens next year in the draft of the year after where we haven't traded away our future pick to get a key forward?

If we get a forward in Wideman this year, I don't see him making an impact for 2+ years. Do we sit tight, draft talented midfielders who are more likely to make an impact within two years. and wait until a key forward becomes available within the next year or two via a trade or free agency?

I'd be absolutely stoked with Parish and Oliver.

Would be very happy with Parish and Curnow though too.

• Like 1

I'd be absolutely stoked with Parish and Oliver.

Would be very happy with Parish and Curnow though too.

Both scenarios are perfectly likely with Weideman, Milera and Francis in the sights of the Bombers and Suns.

Edited by Lamashtu

There is 0 chance we'll take two mids. It's obvious to every footy watcher Hogan needs quality support, and Taylor, Mahoney & Viney have all talked about how we're building the list to be a group that comes through together.

Currently our key forward options (aside from Hogan) are:

Dawes - tries his guts out, body keeps letting him down

Pedo - Not best 22, will be 29 when next season starts and will struggle with the new interchange rules

Frost - Clearly not a forward, will play back

TMac - We're not going anywhere if we experiment with him forward again

Dunn - Has been better in defence, also turns 29 early in the season

Garland - Been done, experiment worked once

King - Not ready, might not ever be

We will be taking a key forward with one of those top 10 picks. It's a certainty.

• Like 3

There is 0 chance we'll take two mids. It's obvious to every footy watcher Hogan needs quality support, and Taylor, Mahoney & Viney have all talked about how we're building the list to be a group that comes through together.

Currently our key forward options (aside from Hogan) are:

Dawes - tries his guts out, body keeps letting him down

Pedo - Not best 22, will be 29 when next season starts and will struggle with the new interchange rules

Frost - Clearly not a forward, will play back

TMac - We're not going anywhere if we experiment with him forward again

Dunn - Has been better in defence, also turns 29 early in the season

Garland - Been done, experiment worked once

King - Not ready, might not ever be

We will be taking a key forward with one of those top 10 picks. It's a certainty.

That same argument could be made for the Bombers with Daniher.

Bombers might snare Wiedeman before our pick 7.

That same argument could be made for the Bombers with Daniher.

Bombers might snare Wiedeman before our pick 7.

We have a plan. We didn't trade up to pick 3 and give away next year's first rounder just to be seen to be doing something. Either 3 or 7 will be a KPF, and wouldn't surprise me if it's pick 3.

We have a plan. We didn't trade up to pick 3 and give away next year's first rounder just to be seen to be doing something. Either 3 or 7 will be a KPF, and wouldn't surprise me if it's pick 3.

Wtf.. Where did I make that allusion?