MATCH REVIEW: Call it catharthis

watchtheeyes

Some useless points I've picked up/thought about over the past few days;

- Out of the three post-game interviews on the MFC website (Roos' presser, Jones and Dawes interview with Burgo), not one of them seemed too concerned about losing.

- It is mentioned that the difference between our best and worst is too great. So far this preseason, our best (arguably the first half against the Dogs) saw us leading by around 7 goals at half time. Our worst has only been bits and pieces in games. While our worst is still shlt, in the three games to date is has been for a far less amount of game time than previous years. Regardless of your thoughts on the opposition, our biggest losing margin has been 18 points (against an expected Top 4 contender this year). Sure, we've played undermanned teams, but we have not had our best 22 out there either.

- It has an eerie similarity to Bailey's last season (2011). Our best footy was pretty good, we spanked some teams. Our worst was woeful, resulting in us getting spanked. The thing about our poor performances in 2011 was that they were for an entire match. If we reduce the amount of poor footy we play in a game to smaller chunks, then we shouldn't get blown out of the water in games.

While I understand the importance of having structured, competitive hit outs during the preseason, I have read absolutely nothing in to this year's results (from any games), to the point where I have barely watch any games at all. The real stuff starts in less than two weeks for me.

(Nb. If we had won all three of our NAB games comprehensively, I'd be claiming we should be flag favourites!).

Edited for ManDee's sake.

Edited by billy2803

I have had the good fortune to be away for all of the practice matches. I watched the Dogs match on the internet feed and listened to the first quarter of the Dons match.

Last night i watched the Freo match and for those who are in deep dispair about the Dons match they should go back and watch it. We were in that match up to our necks against some quality opposition. Indeed but for a clear wrong call on a goal that hit the post, Russians amazing miss and a few holding the ball decisions (which we will learn from) the result would have been a lot closer.

Our weakness in the match was our ability to deliver to the forwards and their ability to lead into space and hold the ball.

Our issue in the Dogs match was after being dominant in the frist 2 quarters our coaches decided they had a licence to try a few things which didnt work out including changing our midfield set up which allowed the Dogs midfield to get on top.

I cant comment on the Dons match but we shouldn't discount the positive aspects of the first 2 matches based on the 3rd alone. Sure we dont have depth or any real A+ stars yet but there are some good signs emerging. We will continue from time to time have a gap between or worst and the best. Garland will not continue to make poor decisions as he gets back into the game. Hogan will learn where to lead to. Viney will not repeat his mistake. We will start to take the game on a bit more as Lumumba and Frost do to greater effect.

One thing you can guarantee Roos will be having a discussion with the coaches about what they learned from the practice matches and the same discussion with the players both individually and collectively. I expect we will see the gap between best and worst narrow over the year.

• Like 4

I have had the good fortune to be away for all of the practice matches. I watched the Dogs match on the internet feed and listened to the first quarter of the Dons match.

Last night i watched the Freo match and for those who are in deep dispair about the Dons match they should go back and watch it. We were in that match up to our necks against some quality opposition. Indeed but for a clear wrong call on a goal that hit the post, Russians amazing miss and a few holding the ball decisions (which we will learn from) the result would have been a lot closer.

Our weakness in the match was our ability to deliver to the forwards and their ability to lead into space and hold the ball.

Our issue in the Dogs match was after being dominant in the frist 2 quarters our coaches decided they had a licence to try a few things which didnt work out including changing our midfield set up which allowed the Dogs midfield to get on top.

I cant comment on the Dons match but we shouldn't discount the positive aspects of the first 2 matches based on the 3rd alone. Sure we dont have depth or any real A+ stars yet but there are some good signs emerging. We will continue from time to time have a gap between or worst and the best. Garland will not continue to make poor decisions as he gets back into the game. Hogan will learn where to lead to. Viney will not repeat his mistake. We will start to take the game on a bit more as Lumumba and Frost do to greater effect.

One thing you can guarantee Roos will be having a discussion with the coaches about what they learned from the practice matches and the same discussion with the players both individually and collectively. I expect we will see the gap between best and worst narrow over the year.

You didn't mention that Barlow and Mundy were subbed off / rested, and that Fyfe didn't play. Be honest, Freo had the game won at half-time. And as a top 4 team in hot conditions, they are more likely to take the foot of the pedal, than a struggling team looking to build confidence.

My concern is that the last year, the gap between our best and worst broadened as the year went on.

Well I have resisted for four days.

Over the three practise matches I have got pretty much what I expected ( I did think we would win on Friday).

Our list is still a long way from a top 12 side.

Since the end of 2014 season we have added a couple of experienced players and some more kids.

We have lined with not a lot of change to the sides of last year so it is not surprising to me that we have played with only a small amount of improvement.

The regular VFL quality players continue to play that way and will until we replace them with better ones.

I still believe we are capable of winning 6 -7 games and that after more changes at the end of this year 2016 will be the year we make a good rise up the ladder.

We have hung in through 8 years of crap 2015 should be less crappy.

You didn't mention that Barlow and Mundy were subbed off / rested, and that Fyfe didn't play. Be honest, Freo had the game won at half-time. And as a top 4 team in hot conditions, they are more likely to take the foot of the pedal, than a struggling team looking to build confidence.

My concern is that the last year, the gap between our best and worst broadened as the year went on.

Barlow was subbed at the end of the 3rd and Mundy went off in the 4th. At 3/4 time the scores were 7.5 to 6.6. Freemantle (at full strength) scored only a point in the 3rd.

Certainly Fyfe didnt play. Perhaps they did take the foot off the pedal the way we did against the Dogs but watching the game it didnt appear that way. In any event doesn't diminish what was a good effort by us despite looking spent in the 2nd quarter. The point is we played pretty well in the conditions.