Training - Tuesday 3rd March 2015

Re Viney, I thought he got a belt to the head, a couple of the players thought it was to the midriff, and Jack Grimes said the gonads, so put all three, it must have been a decent whack, coz it shook him up, must be ok to be named though

I love this kid's hardness.....similar to Cross'

Hard nut.

• Like 1

Re Viney, I thought he got a belt to the head, a couple of the players thought it was to the midriff, and Jack Grimes said the gonads, so put all three, it must have been a decent whack, coz it shook him up, must be ok to be named though

for many players the head and gonads occupy the same territory

• Like 5

[name=Sir Paul Roos" post="1054397" timestamp="1425356964]

The thing i became really excited about today was the forward line we have

Watts Dawes Kent

Garlett Hogan Gawn

all capable of kicking multiple goals and the delivery i think will be much better in 2015

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

Don't say that.....I find SANFL footy very average...

It can be but if you watch the highlights of Jimmy during the SANFL years he played, he was seriously quick and hard running, provided alot of link up options for his team and was damaging on the outside, he seems to be getting back to that, he was seriously down on speed the last couple of years but he looks to be getting that back now.

If he was stunned by it it must've been a good whack. This is the guy who got up straight away and attacked the ball after colliding with another who broke his jaw. He is the anti-Morton!

Watts Dawes Kent

Garlett Hogan Gawn

all capable of kicking multiple goals and the delivery i think will be much better in 2015

is this confirmation that Howe will be going back to the forward line in 2015?

I hope so

Ive been one of Watts biggest critics but I have a feeling hes going to finally turn it on this year.

The B McCartney influence will be tremendous for him (and other players)

Watts' has hardly had a pre-season, and in a brief appearance in last week's match sim, he hardly got involved, despite having acres of space.

I'm sure that previous coaches/asst. coaches have tried to influence Jack. The drive has to come from within.

• Like 1

Watts' has hardly had a pre-season, and in a brief appearance in last week's match sim, he hardly got involved, despite having acres of space.

I'm sure that previous coaches/asst. coaches have tried to influence Jack. The drive has to come from within.

Its the same feeling I had every preseason about Colin Sylvia finally breaking out

We all know that feel. Optimism and delusion rolled into one

• Like 2

If he was stunned by it it must've been a good whack. This is the guy who got up straight away and attacked the ball after colliding with another who broke his jaw. He is the anti-Morton!

Agree- spoke to Jack after he was carted to the rooms.I asked him " What was his injury- he stated ACL.....then laughed and gave thumbs up.

Later I was told he jarred his knee after clashing and hit another knee with his .

Also spoke to McCarthy whom stated- he was loving it....developing is his role and he loves it....said- he was rapt the way the team was responding....up, up & away.....GO DEES.

• Like 2

It can be but if you watch the highlights of Jimmy during the SANFL years he played, he was seriously quick and hard running, provided alot of link up options for his team and was damaging on the outside, he seems to be getting back to that, he was seriously down on speed the last couple of years but he looks to be getting that back now.

I understand that, but he won't get the same space playing at this level.

Its the same feeling I had every preseason about Colin Sylvia finally breaking out

We all know that feel. Optimism and delusion rolled into one

h_h, I was like you with Jack - frustrated as well....but, if this team is to progress up the ladder, JW will not cop such a hard tag and will become a very important link player.

All silk, all skill.

• Like 1

Watts Dawes Kent

Garlett Hogan Gawn

Interesting, looks like we might be beginning to have a problem of where to fit players in.

JKH anyone? Wonder where this leaves him. I guess rotating between forward line and midfield maybe off the bench.

Personally I really hope Howe ends up back in the forward line as long as he sorts his kicking out. We seem to be developing a bunch of beautifully skilled half backs but having a forward who can mark them from anywhere is invaluable and seems to me will end up being a better utilisation of Howe's unique abilities. But if that happens who moves out. Maybe Watts to a wing like was supposed to happen last year, being that quarter back link man using his height to float across half back and half forward to become anything from a 2nd to 4th option target but then rebounding back into the middle ahla Goodsey.

Where does this line up leave Pedersen and Fitzpatrick? Nice to have these problems for once.

• Like 2

is this confirmation that Howe will be going back to the forward line in 2015?

I hope so

I hope Howe plays forward. With umps being told to crack down on players being blocked out of marking contests, that could make Howe even more of a weapon up forward. He seems to get his run at a contest blocked more than most, for obvious reasons. Can see him winning plenty of frees or taking plenty of hangers, win win.

Finally got to training this morning. TDI and others have covered just about everything. As a newbie this season I just have a few observations.

In the early sessions they were doing some equivalent of Brittish Bulldog where you had to evade everyone if you had the ball. I was impressed by Frost who is big and full of muscles but gee he was elusive and athletic in that drill. He later dropped a sitter of a high mark in one drill but maybe that is all about concentration.

Impressed by Mitchie, he looked very solid in the drills

TDI can you confirm what I saw in one drill? The Spencil lead out from the goal square and took a very impressive, soft hands mark, out in front of his body. Then went back and slotted the goal. Hold on that looked totally coordinated!

Jamar looks so good, why can't he be not just a good tap ruckman but also a real target if he is up forward? Big man, clean hands, why doesn't he kick 20 plus goals a year?

Watched JKH doing goal kicking practice from all angles. Rarely missed a pot shot, if he did the ball usually hit the goal post. Is there space for JKH and Garlett in the same forward line?

Jack Watts had his nostrils packed with cotton wool, not a great look but said he had a blood nose, not sure whether he got belted in a drill or not.

Hogan just looks good, very sure hands and kick for goal. Fingers crossed.

The Prince looked good in all the drills and Salem and Jimmy looked good but this is training after all.

We do seem to have several options for most positions but who knows we have to wait for round 1 to gauge where are really at.

Also noticed that Dawes took a lot of one grabs today, looked OK.,Maybe due to little pressure?

• Like 7

Watched JKH doing goal kicking practice from all angles. Rarely missed a pot shot, if he did the ball usually hit the goal post. Is there space for JKH and Garlett in the same forward line?

Because there is nothing worse than having not one but two attacking player with good skills who can create opportunities for others or kick goals themselves?

• Like 2

Agree- spoke to Jack after he was carted to the rooms.I asked him " What was his injury- he stated ACL.....then laughed and gave thumbs up.

Later I was told he jarred his knee after clashing and hit another knee with his .

Also spoke to McCarthy whom stated- he was loving it....developing is his role and he loves it....said- he was rapt the way the team was responding....up, up & away.....GO DEES.

He banged his knee getting into the golf cart, that's why I thought he had been belted in the head and was a bit woozy, at no time while he was with the medicos did they look at this knee

TDI can you confirm what I saw in one drill? The Spencil lead out from the goal square and took a very impressive, soft hands mark, out in front of his body. Then went back and slotted the goal. Hold on that looked totally coordinated!

.No your eyes did not deceive you, he has been training and looking a lot better than other posters give him credit for

Are you sure you face the green bit when watching, Watts has done miles of miles of laps, he has been getting acres and acres of space since day one, because he is a natural footballer, once we learn to kick it to him, we may see the benefit, he was ok in the match sim

Frost who is big and full of muscles but gee he was elusive and athletic in that drill. He later dropped a sitter of a high mark in one drill but maybe that is all about concentration...another McCartney moment took Frost aside in next break and went over the mark with him, think he had it spent before he got it