Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday, 6th February, 2015

dworship

Howe- is ticking all the boxes, was allowed to increase pace of running today.

I noted the stronger physique he's sporting this year, esp in the upper body. Definitely a stronger looking unit than in previous seasons.

• Like 1

Very rough, but you get the idea...

Green line = paid (ticket)

Blue line = free (2 hours)

Red line = free (3 hours)

dqxfwYL.png

I almost always get a spot in the 2 hour section on Alexandra Ave.

Failing that, I can always find one on Anderson Street.

Enjoy training! :)

Thanks to all, I got a great spot in the shade the whole time I was there for $2 and just 20m from Morrel bridge, yes I will put something up regarding training, it might take awhile only just got home

• Like 1

I think you might be right ET. Anyway here are some more shots from the day. Just on todays session this is the first I have seen this year. Ironically I got cleaned up on my way home from the last session I attended just prior to Christmas. Being rear ended is never fun but when your on a motorbike it goes to a whole new level. As you would expect the standard has improved over that period but I was genuinely impressed by how much. To be honest I'm not much of a judge but to me the entire group appeared noticeably quicker.W9O1ZOb.jpg

Bh4ef6N.jpg

S4pm7e3.jpg

wCc9iJD.jpg

Fy5mkTm.jpg

qRpM3FC.jpg

hL1sp09.jpg

gj5j68e.jpg

• Like 8

I went. C&B has advised players not doing drills. No sign of King, Trengove and AN-B. And I didn't see Brayshaw but he may have been there and White was in rehab. Long session. Started at about 9.45 and was still going when I left at 12.00. Hot but little if any wind so conditions were great.

It was very much ball movement, match simulation at 75% pace, full ground drills. Some of the skills were very good and there were various players who made mistakes from time to time. It will be interesting to see if the intensity lifts in the coming weeks.

Players to impress were Kent who I noticed more than anyone. I had him fringe 22 but on today's performance he'd seem to be well in for me. Clean overhead on the fast lead, very good kick and got it a lot.

Hogan seemed to be everywhere. Lots of the ball and some good marks and good kicking. But remember the intensity is not AFL standard. JKH also came to notice, Petracca did some nice things and looks comfortable, I liked what I saw of Billy Stretch and Dom Tyson just had the ball on a string. Col Garland did the whole session and did well, Grimes was good and I noticed Pedersen a bit. Salem was clean and Vandenberg had a bit of a purple patch and looks a big strong boy.

I was chatting to mates most of the day and not fully concentrating on training so these are general observations only. These match sims are really like dancing with your sister. There certainly didn't seem to be a "get the ball and go" mentality, still "mark, go back, pick an option". Unless a player was clearly in space it looked a bit stop/go to me.

Just to clarify. When I mean 75% that relates to spoiling/tackling/body contact stuff. The pace of play was 100% flat out. I suppose if I had to describe training it was skills work will little if any body contact stuff.

Plenty of people comment about individuals and drills and there is not much I would disagree with from today's reports that I saw .

Disclaimer; I'm a glass half full person, so look away now if that's not your go.

Yes, we're a work in progress, there were the missed kicks, the dropped marks and very occasionally the absolute clanger that I remember so well from training and games a few years ago. So why did I feel so positive at the end?

It's the system, the way it's coached, reinforced and adjusted. The missed kicks, the dropped marks and the clanger were generally mopped up with a minimum of fuss and it was the support, running and positioning that I liked. What I saw was muscle memory being developed, there has been much comment on "poor decision making" in the past and the counter point "not enough options" what I saw was training to overcome that, especially when fatigued.

Other people have commented on how well training is timed and conducted and nothing I saw today was by chance. I think the analysis, planning and implementation has finally become professional.

The match sim stuff is a case in point and I found myself asking the question; why is Dunn matched up on Gawn most of the time when Gawn is in the forward line? Likewise Garland on Petracca? I can surmise an answer, but the coaches know 100%. I've been to training in the past where I would have asked why is player x matched up with player y, what is x going to get out of this?

The naysayers will talk about it only being training and the proof will be in match day and that's true enough. But we no longer are training against weak opposition. I've often thought that part of our training woes was that we just weren't good enough and when we trained against each other it just wasn't a good enough contest.

Other things to be + about; we finally have some real pace and it's not just one or two players, this should lead to less predictability and from what I saw today certainly much quicker ball movement which in turn will create more options.

We actually look like a mature bodied football team, up close or far away it's the most definition I've seen in players bodies, ever. And then there's a bit of extra bulk on some as well. Talk about tailored programs, the Watts I saw today doesn't compare with the one I stood next to last year, definitely thicker in the shoulders and biceps and I could say that about several others, yet Jamar looks lighter but more defined and just as strong.

I could make some comments on individuals and there were some that stood out more than others but I just liked the way they played/trained as a team.

Why so positive, it's the vibe!

Naysayers can F owf

• Like 17

I'm not a naysayer but there's a lot of love about for Vandenberg here.

Really, until we see him in a truly competitive situation (i.e real match play against unfriendly opposition) we won't know if he's up to it.

Sorry, all I read was Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah

I know he has his knee to protect but Maxy Gawn will be a much better ruckman when he learns how to jump! Same for his marking. At VFL level he dominates just through size, to make it at AFL level he needs to add a bit of a leap as well.

Other people have commented on how well training is timed and conducted and nothing I saw today was by chance. I think the analysis, planning and implementation has finally become professional.

The match sim stuff is a case in point and I found myself asking the question; why is Dunn matched up on Gawn most of the time when Gawn is in the forward line? Likewise Garland on Petracca? I can surmise an answer, but the coaches know 100%. I've been to training in the past where I would have asked why is player x matched up with player y, what is x going to get out of this?

I know that wasn't really a question. But I think Roos and co see Dunn as a key defender even if undersized. That's how he played for most of last year. So resting rucks and key forwards will likely be his opponents in partnership with McDonald and/or Frost. He has the strength to be a tall defender even if he's a little shorter than ideal. Garland on the other hand, despite maybe edging Dunn by a cm (or being the same height) and possibly having a little more reach I think is seen as a medium type who can play tall as needed but also play small. Petracca is the type of marking medium sized forward who Garland would play on, with Jetta rounding out the stopping defenders.

• Like 1

I know that wasn't really a question. But I think Roos and co see Dunn as a key defender even if undersized. That's how he played for most of last year. So resting rucks and key forwards will likely be his opponents in partnership with McDonald and/or Frost. He has the strength to be a tall defender even if he's a little shorter than ideal. Garland on the other hand, despite maybe edging Dunn by a cm (or being the same height) and possibly having a little more reach I think is seen as a medium type who can play tall as needed but also play small. Petracca is the type of marking medium sized forward who Garland would play on, with Jetta rounding out the stopping defenders.

Yes, I agree but my point was more around the progress of Gawn and Petracca and this is really were I think we see better/tailored development going on.

The other thing I saw in one sim was lots of mismatches so a smaller defender practicing how to deal with a much taller opponent or vice versa and I remember JKH talking about a team rule last year when players get out of position everyone has to pick up the opposition nearest and are expected to compete no matter what.

Edited by dworship

I've often thought that part of our training woes was that we just weren't good enough and when we trained against each other it just wasn't a good enough contest.

This strikes me as a very important point, flowing from the increased competition for places.

• Like 1

Georgiou RR Martin "I know he has his knee to protect but Maxy Gawn will be a much better ruckman when he learns how to jump!"

I have felt this for some time now. Has anyone seen a photo in the past 12 months that shows another Demon ruckman getting first hands on the ball before Jamar. If a photo exists it is rare indeed. That is why Jamar is still number 1. I reckon he gets first hand to the ball 70% of the time against all comers in the AFL. Go ahead, prove me wrong!

Georgiou RR Martin "I know he has his knee to protect but Maxy Gawn will be a much better ruckman when he learns how to jump!"

I have felt this for some time now. Has anyone seen a photo in the past 12 months that shows another Demon ruckman getting first hands on the ball before Jamar. If a photo exists it is rare indeed. That is why Jamar is still number 1. I reckon he gets first hand to the ball 70% of the time against all comers in the AFL. Go ahead, prove me wrong!

I reckon Jamar will kill it this season provided he stays injury free. He is looking very focused.

Yes, I agree but my point was more around the progress of Gawn and Petracca and this is really were I think we see better/tailored development going on.

The other thing I saw in one sim was lots of mismatches so a smaller defender practicing how to deal with a much taller opponent or vice versa and I remember JKH talking about a team rule last year when players get out of position everyone has to pick up the opposition nearest and are expected to compete no matter what.

Aha, we're finally getting to the bottom of the reasons for Frawley leaving. It was no longer acceptable to stand and point (whilst shaking your head) at the attacker nearest to you, simply because it wasn't your man.

• Like 1

Aha, we're finally getting to the bottom of the reasons for Frawley leaving. It was no longer acceptable to stand and point (whilst shaking your head) at the attacker nearest to you, simply because it wasn't your man.

(That's jut silly and derailing what has been an excellent thread for a change)

Pic 6 is Harmes

The snap from Spencer went through

And Toumpas pulled that in one handed

Bloody excellent pics O50, Six was there as well so readers will be spoilt this session

Yes I got one of Hogan doing it!!!!!!