2014 Commonwealth Games

MadAsHell

So will anyone be watching it or even care to much about it?

I do enjoy the commonwealth games, although I do wish that they had a T20 comp in it as an under 23's sport like they do with soccer in the olympics. With it not on offer I guess I'll mainly follow swimming, rugby and netball.

Others?

Only caught part of the openning ceremony this morning before work and it was pretty laughable.

Rod Stewart really needs to give it away. He was reminding me of his own character on South Park when it was the end of the world!

Empire days are over.

So is the fawning over swimmers,especially the ones that lie.

Nobody really cares anymore and rightly so.

Perhaps some stand up clown can make a joke of the women's 4 x 100 relay team and their new world record.

Was a brilliant effort by them, they did it wasy, nearly a full second off the World record! We've got amazing depth in women's freestyle it must be said, given Coutts missed out on a birth in that realy team.

Was also great to see the Scottish girl's (Hannah Miley I think it was) reaction when she won gold in the 400IM during the medal ceremony. The Comm games certainly don't mean nothing to her.

I am concerned that aftrer Day 1 we're behind England on the medal tally, they're still on the financial funding high that they got heading ino London 2012, so they could provide us with real competition for the medal tally leader at this games. Ideally I'd like to see us get more medals then England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland combined, but I'd take just topping the table given the disaster we had at the Olympics only 2 years ago.

Agree with your comments TD, there were plenty of proud competitors on day one judging by reactions.

The medal tally in Delhi in 2010 was Australia 74/55/48 = 177, India 38/27/36 = 101, England 37/59/46 = 142

It will be some turn around in the space of 4 years if they manage to knock us off.

After day 2 the Poms still have their noses in front, same number of total medals however they have one more gold.

Hmmm...

Yeah Smithy, they've certainly bridged the gap and will continue to do so - their funding program is now right up there with the best (and there's no reason why it shouldn't be) Fairly sure their funding is still based on their version of "lotto" but it may have changed. Money = medals? You betcha.

England doing well adds greater interest to the whole event IMO ... we'll need to do well in track & field as England have got a number of gold medal chances in a number of individual sports (especially T&F) Scotland have excelled so far as well and may hold on to 3rd place overall.

Great effort by the relay girls a couple of days ago - a world record like that gets the world's attention. I'm hoping that Usain Bolt is in top form and, as always, my eyes will be mainly drawn to the track & field events (I went to every night time T&F event at the Sydney Olympics ... and for most of the Commonwealth games evening T&F events when the games were held in Melbourne)

I didn't think Bolt was running any individual races?

Well, that's disappointing

I see Tom Scully won the 40km points race last night in the velodrome. Details

Surely that can't be true ...

In other news we've hit the front in the gold medal tally .. Oz 18 England 17 (Scotland 11)

That news hasn't been lost on me Macca, now can we maintain the ascendancy ?

I really don't know enough about the form lines in all the sports ... come to think of it, I know about as much as the next person!

Be nice if we could get over the line though ... a 55 - 54 scoreline will do (golds) ^_^

Hoping for a Scotland overall 3rd - no idea why ... maybe it's because of the default games theme song ... Proclaimers/500 miles

Edit: Michael Shelley has just won the men's marathon - top effort to defeat the Africans (especially the Kenyans)

Edit(2) ...and now Jessica Trengove (sister of Jack) has won the bronze in the women's marathon.

Well done!

Edited by Macca

Yep, brilliant effort by Jess Trenners last night, bronze medal at the Comm Games when she didn't run her first marathon until the start of 2012!

Good to see we've pulled 3 gold and 16 in total medals clear of England, although if you compare us to the whole Great Brittan (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) like in the Olympics they're 10 gold, 12 silver and 11 bronze in the clear, however if yo compare it to London where they finished 22 Gold ahead it's fair to say we've at least bridged the gap in the short term.

It's fair to say Countries normally do well at a home Olympics and the following Olympics due to a funding overflow, it's whether it can be maintained or not. We had great results in Sydney and even better at Athens but have fallen back since. It will be interesting to see how GB go from 2017 onwards (after Rio).

Meanwhile our Men's and Women's hockey teams remain unbeaten (women have scored 22 goals in 3 games without conceeding 1) and the Netball team are also at 3-0. All looking promising for team event Gold medals.

The last time the Poms bettered our medal tally at the CG was in 1986 and I'm keen to see that trend continue.

Happy with the lead of three as it stands.

Yeah, I'm not concerned at all with the whole UK thing, TD.

It's going to be a close run thing with England though. They're strong in T&F (that much I know) so we'll need to win a number of gold medals in a number of other sports.

Poms just won't go away :wacko:

Sure wont. And it's our last night in the pool which is concerning given we get our majority of medals there. Should win gold in our womens medly relay team and strong chances in the womens 400 free, 50 back, mens 50 free, 200IM and medly relay.

Mens and womens hockey teams are well placed as is the netball team, but this could be a close run thing.