Rohan Welsh

Welsh seems to be from the Neeld Academy of Emotional Intelligence. Really dislike the way he goes about it. Allision is blunt in assessments but direct is different to embarrassing people in public - the comments on Georgio are a disgrace - and if the players are committed well the fish rots at the head.

Emotional Intelligence - yet another trendy buzz word, seen this at work as well, it means nothing but a phrase to hide behind there are a couple of things lacking in modern society, intestinal fortitude and common sense, if they can't stand public criticism they have certainly picked the wrong industry

I guess he has to give copy to the media but if history has taught us anything it is that there are some things that are best left in-house.

What so 'supporters' can then say "we get told nothing" "we should be kept informed" "the Club just doesn't want to involve supporters"...these sound familiar?

• Like 2

Maybe a few players got ahead of themselves.....This was a way of letting them know the way they are playing is not acceptable....

When its mid-winter and you're in the 2s , losing , the reality that your career is nearly over should be dawning.

Welsh comes across as a dimwit-and lacks composure.

What so 'supporters' can then say "we get told nothing" "we should be kept informed" "the Club just doesn't want to involve supporters"...these sound familiar?

No.

When has anyone ever said that in relation to this sort of commentary?

I'm staggered with posters who don't see a problem with Welsh's comments (as opposed to his opinion). Again perhaps he was misquoted but he seems to have form. It is simply not on a coach publicly singling out a a player for such direct criticism as he has done in that article with Gergiou. Not on.

Did the posters who think his comments are ok learn nothing from Neeld or in indeed from how Roos goes about things. Look at how Roos reacted to the WC loss. He too was seething - but did he single out any players? Of course not. What senior coach in this day and age (as opposed to the hoary 70's) would? They would be rightfully lambasted in the media if they did. Coincidence that our form has improved since the WC game? No.

Casey are a separate side so it is not the MFC call on who caoches them. However no doubt we exert an influence and despite what Arrow has said about the players liking him such stupid public comments mean that it is unlikely he will coach Casey next season.

• Like 3

Suffering from memory loss or don't really read the posts?.....Laughable

I'd say it's laughable to take any comments seriously, if anyone is stupid enough to make them.

And yeah, I'd say I generally dismiss them without a 2nd thought if they do appear.

Mind you, I still don't think you're correct and there's no link between supporters complaining about not being informed and the Casey senior coach making inflammatory negative comments publicly about specific players or even just separating the MFC listed players for criticism but not the VFL players.

Can't recall anyone saying

"where is the unreasonable public spray at certain individuals for not performing? The club is treating us like mushrooms! There is no communication!"

Unless you mean my old mate mjt or jcb, but you learn quickly that some posters simply aren't worth reading because of their unintelligible ramblings.

Anyway, a bizarre move, and one likely to get him the sack sooner than later.

Edited by Machsy

Mind you, I still don't think you're correct and there's no link between supporters complaining about not being informed and the Casey senior coach making inflammatory negative comments publicly about specific players or even just separating the MFC listed players for criticism but not the VFL players.

Can't recall anyone saying

"where is the unreasonable public spray at certain individuals for not performing? The club is treating us like mushrooms! There is no communication!"

Unless you mean my old mate mjt or jcb, but you learn quickly that some posters simply aren't worth reading because of their unintelligible ramblings.

Anyway, a bizarre move, and one likely to get him the sack sooner than later.

That is your opinion, which I don't share, you joining that small select band on here that believe everything they say is the only truth

They are not inflammatory comments, he was speaking his mind, why are they inflammatory, they didn't inflame me, if they did to you, do you want to explain why in a footy context

Now,Now -no hair pulling you two!

Now,Now -no hair pulling you two!

Machsy has put his head above the parapet so now I want an explanation as to who the inflamed, if it is just posters on here, then no harm done, I have spoken to some of the players, you can tell a couple "didn't really appreciate it", but if they want a career they have to suck it up and get on with it, most knew where he was coming from

As far as I can tell the Club are cool with it, we will see at season's end

Agreed, they are getting paid to perform

I always struggle with this mindset.

I'm getting paid to perform at the moment in a really great job that I should be thankful for. But as my boss frustrates the hell out of me I'm happily perusing demonland. I'm only on a 2 year contract so I need to perform yet here we are.

I understand that our two's weren't great but publicly ridiculing anyone never helps. Just creates a bigger divide between the coaches and players.

I always struggle with this mindset.

I'm getting paid to perform at the moment in a really great job that I should be thankful for. But as my boss frustrates the hell out of me I'm happily perusing demonland. I'm only on a 2 year contract so I need to perform yet here we are.

I understand that our two's weren't great but publicly ridiculing anyone never helps. Just creates a bigger divide between the coaches and players.

Exactly why you have empathy with the players, I am being made redundant yet I achieved the best results for 2 years last month, it is not a mindset it is a generational thing.

They are not going to war, they are playing footy, and being paid bloody well to do it, they deserve every bake they get if they don't perform

Edited by Satyriconhome

Exactly why you have empathy with the players, I am being made redundant yet I achieved the best results for 2 years last month, it is not a mindset it is a generational thing.

They are not going to war, they are playing footy, and being paid bloody well to do it, they deserve every bake they get if they don't perform

The crux of the argument.

An angry and irrational stance based on personal issues.

Sorry to hear about your redundancy, really hope you are getting a nice package at the end of it.

Agree with your comments to a degree around it being "a generational thing"

In saying this though, in generations gone past, a bake might have been the best thing in the world for some players, it still might be today but it's definitely not for all players and its not for the world to see. It's no way in the world to get the best out of players (in my opinion anyway)

Can't imagine many senior coaches saying what he has here, I thought it was disappointing and uncalled for that's all.

• Like 1

The crux of the argument.

An angry and irrational stance based on personal issues.

Why haven't you answered my question, bit too irrational for you, I unlike some on here, don't have personal issues, I know I am posting on a footy forum where posters, hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard, have their opinions or views, some are willing to back up their views or opinions with sound argument or debate, others just snipe, which camp are you in, by not answering the question I posed above I would say the latter

Sorry to hear about your redundancy, really hope you are getting a nice package at the end of it.

Agree with your comments to a degree around it being "a generational thing"

In saying this though, in generations gone past, a bake might have been the best thing in the world for some players, it still might be today but it's definitely not for all players and its not for the world to see. It's no way in the world to get the best out of players (in my opinion anyway)

Can't imagine many senior coaches saying what he has here, I thought it was disappointing and uncalled for that's all.

The problem seems to be that some posters are the same as some of our players seem to be, they need to grow a pair, as for senior coaches not saying such things, Hardwick more or less said he had given Riewoldt a serious arse kicking, the good thing is Riewoldt responded in the right way, what we need for the next Casey game is our listed players to do the same, and shove it up Welsh.....I will wait and see

• Like 1

Even if what he said is true, it should stay within the four walls of the club.

Nobody externally needs to hear it and singling out players like that surely does more harm then good.

The problem seems to be that some posters are the same as some of our players seem to be, they need to grow a pair, as for senior coaches not saying such things, Hardwick more or less said he had given Riewoldt a serious arse kicking, the good thing is Riewoldt responded in the right way, what we need for the next Casey game is our listed players to do the same, and shove it up Welsh.....I will wait and see

Yeah but Riewoldt came out and ridiculed the game plan and tactics didn't he? Deserved a backside kicking. The lad is a moron and its probably the only way the message will get through.

If Welsh's biggest tool is to motivate players to come out and "shove it up" him then we are in big trouble there.

My idea of a good coach is one you believe in, want to play his way and want to play for him.

Not to come out and "shove it up him"

• Like 1

Yeah but Riewoldt came out and ridiculed the game plan and tactics didn't he? Deserved a backside kicking. The lad is a moron and its probably the only way the message will get through.

If Welsh's biggest tool is to motivate players to come out and "shove it up" him then we are in big trouble there.

My idea of a good coach is one you believe in, want to play his way and want to play for him.

Not to come out and "shove it up him"

I have been to quite a few games and talked to the players and watched Casey train, Welsh's frustration comes from players telling him they fully understand the message he is sending out and then completely ignoring it, as I said in another post, I think this came from the week previous when the whole team played really well in atrocious conditions at Visy, then the following week against a 'lesser' team blew a 30 point lead and didn't bother playing in the second half

Maybe there's something wrong with his message?

Maybe he's sending the wrong message?

Maybe he's sending a different message to the one he thinks he is?

Maybe the players think they understand his message, but because it is not clear they are misunderstanding it?

Maybe the problem is that Welsh is a poor communicator?

His public statements would indicate as much.

• Like 1

Ok,read the comments,dont have a problem with anything said.

The main coach PR may have asked him to put georgiou under pressure to make him realise the intensity it takes to play at senoir level on a weekly basis.{maybe}

But i really cant see the problem with any comments made in the link.

Fair dinkum Satry you must be joking. Your posts on this matter are so hypocritical that i can only conclude you are deliberately baiting other posters ie trolling. I simply do not believe you really think it is ok for Welsh to publicly slag of players, particularly given your hyper sensitivity to any criticism of players on this site.

I can only conclude you are trying to wind people up (ie trolling), something you have repeatedly admitted to enjoying. It makes it hard to take your views seriously, which is a shame because some of your posts can be quite insightful and your training reports are mostly enjoyable (though at times grating in a look at me kind of a way).

I have previously said i was going to put you on ignore but have not done so. I'm going to rectify that now as your bad is outweighing your good and i dislike trolls. I think i'll just choose to view your training reports and save myself the angst of reading posts like the ones littered through this tread.

Ciao baby

• Like 2

Having seen the Cats culture up close and now seeing Roos come in and begin to turn around a club that had an atrocious culture, the common thread is a constructive supportive coaching department with the ability to communicate clearly.

Geelong has that at AFL level and VFL level, and maybe that's because try control their VFL side.

At Casey we have less control, but I can tell you now that the way Welsh has handled this recent loss is not conducive to a good response.

In the short term it may or may not provoke a reaction from the players, but in the long term it will result in a negative effect on the playing group.

I was formerly a support of the "Neeld method" but I have come to see the error of my ways.

Purely by observing successful cultures and successful culture creators, it is evident that Welsh's approach was poor.

I hope he corrects this going forward.

• Like 1