Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 9

Demonland

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pedersen start with the role he has been successfully playing to date with Gawn playing full forward and handling rucking duties in the forward 50. That still leaves flexibility should Pedersen be needed in defence - and given the selections of Reiwoldt, Vickery, Griffith and Hampson, he may well be needed there. Pedersen going back probably releases Howe or Dunn to come forward.

I have no idea who's to be sub, assuming no late changes (although Picket Fences claims Terlich won't play - whether that is fact or opinion remains to be seen). I would have thought Salem needs a whole game and is a logical replacement for Byrnes. Riley seems, from all reports, a logical tagger to go to Cotchin, so Grimes returns to his natural home in the backline. Does that mean Jetta as the sub? That doesn't seem fair, though.

Probably Salem again.

I actually think Gawn will offer more up forward than Frawley has for the last couple of weeks, plus it frees up Pedo to play up forward or down back all day. As well as that, Jamar will have more of a chop out than he would have with Pedersen as back up.

I think we underestimate the defensive pressure and combativeness Frawley provides up forward. many here bag him when he doesn't kick goals but he is important to assist Dawes up forward. I question whether Gawn can provide anything near that.

• Like 1

I think we underestimate the defensive pressure and combativeness Frawley provides up forward. many here bag him when he doesn't kick goals but he is important to assist Dawes up forward. I question whether Gawn can provide anything near that.

That's why it is taken Gawn so long to get back in, they have been building up his fitness to new levels, he looked very mobile on Thursday, and didn't look knackered after the session as he was a month or so ago

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pedersen start with the role he has been successfully playing to date with Gawn playing full forward and handling rucking duties in the forward 50. That still leaves flexibility should Pedersen be needed in defence - and given the selections of Reiwoldt, Vickery, Griffith and Hampson, he may well be needed there. Pedersen going back probably releases Howe or Dunn to come forward.

I have no idea who's to be sub, assuming no late changes (although Picket Fences claims Terlich won't play - whether that is fact or opinion remains to be seen). I would have thought Salem needs a whole game and is a logical replacement for Byrnes. Riley seems, from all reports, a logical tagger to go to Cotchin, so Grimes returns to his natural home in the backline. Does that mean Jetta as the sub? That doesn't seem fair, though.

It's his opinion! !

As my spies alluded to The PIGDOG gets a gig!

For anyone who hasn't seen him play, Think Viney, Wines and a touch of Andrew Obst !

Still reckon Terlich wil miss stay tuned!

As my spies alluded to The PIGDOG gets a gig!

For anyone who hasn't seen him play, Think Viney, Wines and a touch of Andrew Obst !

Still reckon Terlich wil miss stay tuned!

What spies?, I was at training, I knew Pigdog was going to play, I was told, I was also told that Terlich plays, so what other information do you have, do you wish to share, I am sure the Richmond FD who read this board are not planning to tag Terls, so it won't matter, you emphasise an unfounded rumour, how do you highlight a fact, the ampersand?

Edited by Satyriconhome

There is going to be one massive difference between having Gawn as compared to Frawley in the forward line, Gawn can take a mark over his head.

I lost count of how many times Frawley got to a contest, pushed his man out only to let the ball drop to the ground witout really making an effort to go for it.

The weakness with having both Frawley and Dawes in the same forward line is they are both better on the lead than in contested marking situations. This is why Clark and Dawes would have been such a great combination.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

There is going to be one massive difference between having Gawn as compared to Frawley in the forward line, Gawn can take a mark over his head.

I lost count of how many times Frawley got to a contest, pushed his man out only to let the ball drop to the ground witout really making an effort to go for it.

The weakness with having both Frawley and Dawes in the same forward line is they are both better on the lead than in contested marking situations. This is why Clark and Dawes would have been such a great combination.

A long dead dream CB

Edited by old dee

What spies?, I was at training, I knew Pigdog was going to play, I was told, I was also told that Terlich plays, so what other information do you have, do you wish to share, I am sure the Richmond FD who read this board are not planning to tag Terls, so it won't matter, you emphasise an unfounded rumour, how do you highlight a fact, the ampersand?

Dees to win &

I still think Matt Jones will be the sub, bash and crash for 3/4 then bring on his run

I agree. they have to start Salem i would have thought given he needs the run for fitness (especially with casey also having a bye next week). Jones to add his run in the last quarter and a half when the game opens up. Riley to unleash from the get go. Not much point leaving him on the bench to stew.

Saty has Riley played any run with roles at Casey?

Edited by binman

Ok Make of it as you will, Terlich might play might not! I would think one more check tomorrow by medical staff may/ might still be done!

Just a suspicion! Call it what you will.

The players welfare is always paramount , and not for a second do I believe we would compromise on that.

IMO concussion should be a mandatory week!

Let me ask you this if you saw your son dealt with in such a way would you be wanting a club to err on the side of conservatism?? Would you like him to miss a week?

Ok Make of it as you will, Terlich might play might not! I would think one more check tomorrow by medical staff may/ might still be done!

The players welfare is always paramount , and not for a second do I believe we would compromise on that.

Let me ask you this if you saw your son dealt with in such a way would you be wanting a club to err on the side of conservatism?? Would you like him to miss a week?

They have concussion tests!

Hopefully he is fine!

!

• Like 1

I'm not sure the oppositions welfare is always paramount, if it was we wouldn't let Jack Viney on the field...

• Like 2

Picket, I agree that concussed players should always have a week off. The issues posters are having with your comments on this thread are not about your opinion on concussed players. Rather, it was your earlier assertion that Terlich won't play as if you had solid, factual information to back up that statement. It appears now that you don't. It's best to make sure that readers of your posts can appreciate what is fact and what is opinion.

We are a good thing this week, absolute morals.

We'll win the ruck and chew up the contested ball, there is no one to stop us.

Definitely match up better against the Tigers - than we do against the Bullies, and Adelaide.

Providing we have Jamar in, teams with soft midfields will find it hard to beat us.

Richmond have no contested ball winners, certainly none that will compete with Jones and Viney.

Jamar will get first use, we'll get first crack at it and Cotchin won't get his usual numbers.

We should tag Dustin Martin, because he is the only guy for the Tigers that could damage us.

I'd say Pedo plays back to avoid Dunn playing on a key target, Pedo, TMAC and Garlo can get the job done, i'd send Jetta to Sam Lloyd, he has kicked a few goals this year and looks lively

Its amazing to think that if these comments were made 8 weeks ago the poster would have been laughed out of here.

Richmond were supposed to finally cement their spot in the 8 (with their great midfield).

From memory Jamar was well past it and would never get another game.

Our midfield was worst in the competition (couldn't win a clearance if our life depended on it).

Pedo was clogging up the list like Jamar with his 3 year contract.

Jetta was also a list clogger.

On another Note:

I also wouldn't mind Salem replacing Byrnes and M,Jones to be the sub.

Frawley is a loss - I worry about Gawn. I believe to take full advantage of him he should alternate with Jamar between ruck and FF (with Jamar doing 70% ruck work - he is better). Keep Gawn close to the goal square so he can convert. Should be few rotations between those two - stretch the Richmond defence (will be a really important combo with the loss of Frawley). Looking forward to seeing Riley.

I think a few on here don't fully appreciate terlich's contribution to the team - but if he pulls out Clisby would be a great it.

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

Picket, I agree that concussed players should always have a week off. The issues posters are having with your comments on this thread are not about your opinion on concussed players. Rather, it was your earlier assertion that Terlich won't play as if you had solid, factual information to back up that statement. It appears now that you don't. It's best to make sure that readers of your posts can appreciate what is fact and what is opinion.

I tend to agree on concussed players, but watching Terlich during the game (whilst in the red jacket) he seemed to have recovered remarkably quickly. He was smiling and at times laughing. He seemed much sharper than other concussed players that I have seen. I am sure with the testing they do that they would not play him if he was risky. Maybe a more valuable player but with Terls i think they would rest him if needed.

I agree. they have to start Salem i would have thought given he needs the run for fitness (especially with casey also having a bye next week). Jones to add his run in the last quarter and a half when the game opens up. Riley to unleash from the get go. Not much point leaving him on the bench to stew.

Saty has Riley played any run with roles at Casey?

No He is not that type of player at the moment, he is the more see ball get ball, clearance player

I believe TERLICH won't play!!

Whoever comes in will probably Sub

Doesn't the sub have to come from the 4 man interchange? and Terlich is not on the interchange - I am not sure if that's possible.

I tend to agree on concussed players, but watching Terlich during the game (whilst in the red jacket) he seemed to have recovered remarkably quickly. He was smiling and at times laughing. He seemed much sharper than other concussed players that I have seen. I am sure with the testing they do that they would not play him if he was risky. Maybe a more valuable player but with Terls I think they would rest him if needed.

He did the whole session yesterday, which involved contact, not hard contact, but contact nevertheless, previously if a player is concussed in a game they get a week of light duties and no contact at all, I think he got more of a hit to the chin like a boxer, rather than the head as such and so the recovery was quicker

On another Note:

I also wouldn't mind Salem replacing Byrnes and M,Jones to be the sub.

Frawley is a loss - I worry about Gawn. I believe to take full advantage of him he should alternate with Jamar between ruck and FF (with Jamar doing 70% ruck work - he is better). Keep Gawn close to the goal square so he can convert. Should be few rotations between those two - stretch the Richmond defence (will be a really important combo with the loss of Frawley). Looking forward to seeing Riley.

I think a few on here don't fully appreciate terlich's contribution to the team - but if he pulls out Clisby would be a great it.

I think we will only need to be worried if Gawn and Dawes keep moving to the same areas (i.e., both drag their defenders to the same contest) and allow their opponent to come second man up. I have 100% faith in Gawn being able to out mark his opponent, but if they keep getting an extra man up & Gawn has to chase 2 players out of defence he wont have a good game.. Gawn 1v1 is pretty good, and he can actually tackle for a big man, but to use him like this we need 1v1 contests in the forward line - a rarity so far this season for us i would suggest (if the other forwards body out their defenders though he should get a 1v1 contest, which all comes down to team work again).

Think we have a good team in this week >Took a lil action on The Dees at $4.75 Good odds I think given our season thus far.

Cant wait to wave the Tigers fans home half way through the last quarter

Should be great !!