Changes for Gold Coast Round 5

Grapeviney

Please explain how was he "great"?

Yes he will be a footballer but looked very lost out there today, no fault of his own.

Your joking right???? He is the gun small forward we have all been screaming for on here for years. Hes played 1 full game for the club made a huge difference, fantastic handpassing and goals, showed great team disipline and......lost??.....replace him????

Your joking right???? He is the gun small forward we have all been screaming for on here for years. Hes played 1 full game for the club made a huge difference, fantastic handpassing and goals, showed great team disipline and......lost??.....replace him????

He did some good things but he wasn't "great". He will be a fantastic player in years to come and I looked forward to that, takes the sting out of losing Jurrah, but lets not get carried away with the word "great" after one win.

Same thoughts on both players. Any ideas on what Trenners needs to do to get back into side. It isn't like Roos to drop players for a poor game. More likely to drop players for not playing their role? He is rather slow (and deliberately slows the game down) but is there something else the coaching panel isn' t happy with, regarding the role he is asked to play?

I wonder whether being made Captain of a terrible side so young has temporarily burnt him out mentally. And, in turn, it's impacted his development to the point where he needs to regroup or be lost to the game. I'm backing him in to work through this but I suspect t will take time.

Toumpas and Clisby in for Terlich and Evans seems quite possible. Would love to see Col Garland though. If Garland is fit, he comes in instead of Clis, leaving a lineup of:

FB: Georgiou McDonald Pederson

HB: Grimes Garland Howe

C: Watts Viney Cross

HF: Vince Frawley Bail

FF: JKH Dawes Dunn

Foll: Spencer Jones Tyson

I/C: M Jones Toumpas McKenzie.

Sub: Kent

Wouldn't really mind who's sub out of Kent and Toumpas.

All of a sudden, that feels like a team that could actually push the Suns. Here's hoping, anyway.

Howe would want to show some more in the next few weeks, or he's at risk of being dropped. Wasn't bad yesterday, but didn't have much of an impact.

I wonder whether being made Captain of a terrible side so young has temporarily burnt him out mentally. And, in turn, it's impacted his development to the point where he needs to regroup or be lost to the game. I'm backing him in to work through this but I suspect t will take time.

3 things for Trengove I think.

1, The first thing he needs is confidence I think. Confidence to take the game on despite limited speed he still needs to be an attacking running player. Too often he sits out the back because he's so worried about defending and at the same time takes slow options with the ball for the same reason. More footy in the VFL should hopefully hope with that.

2, I think he needs a new preseason working on some different things. The first thing I'd do is try and take 5kg off him which might mean a strict diet as well. He's not going to be an inside clearance beast so he should be as lean as possible especially in the upper body dead weight. That way he might get that little edge of speed back as well as maximum endurance. At the same time I'd take him away from Misson and try to do sprint training somewhere.

3. Every time he gets the ball at training he has to kick it properly and at speed. Too often I've seen him at training and kick these dinky lobbed kicks whilst jogging along. He has to train like a fast runner and fast kick.

• Like 1

I'd add a 4th. I'd give him a few games tagging at some stage. I remember Jones playing outside midfield and then tagging in 2011 under Bailey. Not sure he was happy with it at the time but when he got freed up back to the inside midfield in 2012 he was such an improved player.

• Like 1

I'll tell you one thing right now. Georgiou is not getting dropped.

I won't say Georgiou sqibbed one, but he certainly blinked and quite possibly flinched and missed a mark he should have taken. :)

But seriously, despite that one minor blemish, he's a really good pickup for us and is more than doing his job. He's not one we should be looking at to drop, even in a swap for Garland.

I do think we need pace in the backline for the Suns. They have plenty of avenues to goal right now and their small forward options will hurt us if we go in too tall. Obviously we need McKenzie to shut down Ablett as much as possible, maybe even a second run-with role on another playmaker. Their young mids are coming on to the point now that it's hard to pick out who to tag.

Anyway, I tend to lean towards either Clisby or Blease coming in for Terlich because of the pace factor. Probably Clisby because he's better defensively. Other than that, I see no need for changes.

• Like 1

I won't say Georgiou sqibbed one, but he certainly blinked and quite possibly flinched and missed a mark he should have taken. :)

But seriously, despite that one minor blemish, he's a really good pickup for us and is more than doing his job. He's not one we should be looking at to drop, even in a swap for Garland.

I do think we need pace in the backline for the Suns. They have plenty of avenues to goal right now and their small forward options will hurt us if we go in too tall. Obviously we need McKenzie to shut down Ablett as much as possible, maybe even a second run-with role on another playmaker. Their young mids are coming on to the point now that it's hard to pick out who to tag.

Anyway, I tend to lean towards either Clisby or Blease coming in for Terlich because of the pace factor. Probably Clisby because he's better defensively. Other than that, I see no need for changes.

Clisby was excellent against the GCS last time these teams met....but, he got reported, I think?

I love his aggro...

I was very happy with dawes efforts. Despite an obvious lack in fitness he was very handy and aggressive. frawls forward with dune was good also. Spencer was good, but i don't think he necessarily changed his play much, he was just able to execute things that he might have stuffed up earlier. his aggression and tackling was great.

I thought grimes redeemed himself a bit this week, looked very food out of the back. Tommy mac was sturdy.

Don't know where vince went, and tyson got a lot of attention.

Jones was good as ever, beats me how marc murphy is ranked at 26 in the AFL and jones is out at 109.

some players that are ranked higher than jones - garlett, david armitage, gibbs, call an ward.

Any way that data is pretty all over the shop, fife is in at 70.

Agree to a point but how do you loose leg speed so early on? That is what is killing his performances so far.

Dunn was good up forward with Dawes and Frawley, I dont think we should tinker with something that is working ok. We need someone with pace to replace Terlich while Blease has pace I dont think he is capable of playing accountable football and has trouble winning his own ball, so if garland is not available then Clisby is probably the next best option down back.

Dunny was just interviews on SEN.

Said that trenners was sent back to the VFL to tweak some aspects of his game.

Said he was a general in the middle in the VFL today and if he wasn't back in the team next week he would be surprised.

Could do Trengove in Evans out and Kent/JKH back to the sub if we want a bit more fitness in the starting line up instead of youth and pace. Even Trengove as sub. As fast as Gold Coast are their main strength might even be there clearance ability, they are super strong at stoppages.

Or Trengove in for Terlich and make Matt Jones a half back flanker or Dunn back. Lots of options.

Mainly though it depends on what Trengove was doing wrong and what he has improved. I think the main things they were working on would've been using the ball faster and more direct and also getting more involved in contests despite his lack of speed.

Plus Dunn's comments are likely more saying the team line than any official statement.

• Like 1

I was very happy with dawes efforts. Despite an obvious lack in fitness he was very handy and aggressive. frawls forward with dune was good also. Spencer was good, but i don't think he necessarily changed his play much, he was just able to execute things that he might have stuffed up earlier. his aggression and tackling was great.

I thought grimes redeemed himself a bit this week, looked very food out of the back. Tommy mac was sturdy.

Don't know where vince went, and tyson got a lot of attention.

Jones was good as ever, beats me how marc murphy is ranked at 26 in the AFL and jones is out at 109.

some players that are ranked higher than jones - garlett, david armitage, gibbs, call an ward.

Any way that data is pretty all over the shop, fife is in at 70.

Yeah, seemed that Malthouse decided to tag Tyson and Vince with Carazzo and Curnow, they just had no breathing space. Other coaches seem to believe that Tyson and Vince are our most dangerous mids.

He also seemed happy to leave Murphy on Jones, maybe expecting Murphy to pull something out sooner or later but it didn't happen. What helped us was the likes of Cross, Viney, Matt Jones and especially Bail stepping up.

As has been said by a number of posters, it was a great team win with everyone contributing.

• Like 1

Toumpas and Clisby in for Terlich and Evans seems quite possible. Would love to see Col Garland though. If Garland is fit, he comes in instead of Clis, leaving a lineup of:

FB: Georgiou McDonald Pederson

HB: Grimes Garland Howe

C: Watts Viney Cross

HF: Vince Frawley Bail

FF: JKH Dawes Dunn

Foll: Spencer Jones Tyson

I/C: M Jones Toumpas McKenzie.

Sub: Kent

Wouldn't really mind who's sub out of Kent and Toumpas.

All of a sudden, that feels like a team that could actually push the Suns. Here's hoping, anyway.

There were a few plays where Kent's clean hands set up goals/scoring opportunities. He must be persisted with and played fully.

JKH, Evans or whoever comes in for Terlich are my picks.

• Like 1

I am prepared to cop some hate for this post, but I would have dropped Terlich regardless of his hammy. I know the bloke tries but from what I see he is the clumsiest disposal in the team. Until he starts hitting targets I will continue to see him as one of those blunders Mark Neeld made to try and even out the average age of the team (Magner, Rodan, Byrnes, etc).

I would straight up swap him for Garland next week. We saw this week with Dawes what limited match fitness but on-field leadership does to a side (read: our side). Clisby if Garland is unavailable.

And I know that some Demonlanders are saying he played his breakout game against the Blues, but I still have no time for Rohan Bail. Unfortunately for me I know I just have to suck it in until we see some depth in this shallow list of ours.

I am prepared to cop some hate for this post, but I would have dropped Terlich regardless of his hammy. I know the bloke tries but from what I see he is the clumsiest disposal in the team. Until he starts hitting targets I will continue to see him as one of those blunders Mark Neeld made to try and even out the average age of the team (Magner, Rodan, Byrnes, etc).

I would straight up swap him for Garland next week. We saw this week with Dawes what limited match fitness but on-field leadership does to a side (read: our side). Clisby if Garland is unavailable.

And I know that some Demonlanders are saying he played his breakout game against the Blues, but I still have no time for Rohan Bail. Unfortunately for me I know I just have to suck it in until we see some depth in this shallow list of ours.

I agree on terlich, he has got to get his disposal right. He plays with heart and he hard at it, but he turns it over quite a bit. I think it will be clisby in if garland hasn't played vfl yet.

I do disagree with the bail call. I think he played well, played the right places, ran hard, good ball use and kicked some scores. I was happy. Who would come in for him?

On another note, wasn't kent good? I was happy with him.

I agree on terlich, he has got to get his disposal right. He plays with heart and he hard at it, but he turns it over quite a bit. I think it will be clisby in if garland hasn't played vfl yet.

I do disagree with the bail call. I think he played well, played the right places, ran hard, good ball use and kicked some scores. I was happy. Who would come in for him?

Was VERY impressed by Kent's game, thought he was one of the only shining lights in the first quarter!

My problem at the moment is that, unless Toumpas or Trengove find some speed or Blease finds a tank, no-one can come in for Bail, that's what I meant by "I just have to suck it in until we see some depth in this shallow list of ours."

Though if I have to give a name to satisfy your answer I'll say Hogan, just because I can't wait to see him play!

• Like 1

Bail is a really intelligent runner, as well as being a good runner in the athletic sense of combining pace and endurance. He ran to exactly the right place with exactly the right timing and at top speed past Dawes, and just trusted that Dawes would somehow get it to him. It was a quality running goal which was so well done (by al concerned) that it was made to look easy. If Bail hadn't run the right place, Dawes would have looked stupid for not trying to grab it.

Bail also found a lot of space inside 50 for his other goal. But he should have had 4 this week, and should have had 4 against the Saints.

He is really talented in term of getting himself into such good places. He just really needs to work on his disposal though; otherwise he's just another runner.