The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

I watched Brayshaw play yesterday. I have no problem at all using one of our early picks in him. I thought he was bog. I'm still on the fence between petracca and Brayshaw. I will be happy with either or rapt with both.

I have been told that the doggies rate McCartin at one. They say he will be a 10 year player. Not that they will get a look in though.

The doggies would though - he is exactly what they need.

Their midfield is sorted.

Likewise we need mids more than anything, which skews our appraisal of Petracca & Brayshaw.

As a smokey I thought i would suggest Sam Peet from the Northern Knights. He plays at Assumption College, Kilmore and helped them win the AGSV title this year. He has plenty of mongrel and is a tall and solid unit. Essendon and a couple of other VIC clubs have spoken to him. Mick Egan suggests he has the ability to make it at AFL level. He is a ruckman and is very mobile.

I watched Brayshaw play yesterday. I have no problem at all using one of our early picks in him. I thought he was bog. I'm still on the fence between petracca and Brayshaw. I will be happy with either or rapt with both.

I have been told that the doggies rate McCartin at one. They say he will be a 10 year player. Not that they will get a look in though.

If we finish last they can have a look for Bontempelli

On Saturday managed to clear some things and went to the Perth vs East Perth game. The main draft prospect on show was Clem Smith but I have kept an eye on Thomas SHANAHAN since last year and he made his senior debut for East Perth.

Both boys were impressive but for different reasons. The game was very physical and there was a large amount of late hits and a fair degree of spite.

Clem Smith was very impressive in a severly undermanned side and out of character for him he didn't get drawn into the spite and concetrated on going hard at the ball when the opportunity arose. He was very smooth with the ball in hand and seemed oblivious to pressure, not that he lacked awareness it just did not cause him to get rid of the ball at all costs and cause a turnover. The composure and I would describe it as elite disposal was very much a highlight on a bleak day for the Perth Demons

Shanahan came off the bench halfway through the first quarter and for the first few minutes I would say his nerves and enthusiasm had him making several long runs to space or a contest in his attempts to get involved in the action early. As he became acustomed to the tempo he started to read the play much better and after about 10 minutes with Perth attempting to hold possession across half back, Shanahan backed himself left his man and intercepted the defender awaiting a pass on Half back flank, he played on running toward goal and as the defender came to him, I expected him to handball over the top to the forward heading towards the goal square but he calmly slotted from 25m out with his first kick.

Shanahan spent the majority of the game at HFF but had stints in the middle and continued to find his own ball. My only mark against him during the game was a willingness to allow the senior players to much respect. This is not a bad thing and showed he was not just looking on building up impressive stats. On several occassions he was the first tackler when senior team mates would come in over the top and once the free was awarded he would allow the senior player to pick up the ball and take the kick. He ended the game with a disposal count which would have been in the high teens and two goals, which could have been at least two more. I saw two direct goals when he handed off to a senior player demanding the ball when he could have easily run on and kicked his own but this will come.

Shanahan and Smith went head to head for a short period and Smith tried to unsettle him with some hard body work but he was unfazed and just got on with his game. He probably done enough to hold his place but a lot depends on what the Meth Coast want done with their players. Will be very interested to see if he plays finals how he deals with the lift in intensity but on what I have seen with him Colts to Reserves was an easy transition and he will be right up there in the WAFL ressies B&F and he did not look out of place in his first outing

Smith - One of the best displays I have seen from him, a recruiter said to me once, you learn a lot about a player in a weaker team when they are being soundly beaten. As I said above Smith was composed, ball use was elite, all decisions made were good, plenty of 1% efforts, kept his feet in traffic and read the play well. Could have easily thrown the towel in and got involved in the spite but just got on with his own game, if he keeps that up will go in the Top 25

• Like 3

Smith - One of the best displays I have seen from him, a recruiter said to me once, you learn a lot about a player in a weaker team when they are being soundly beaten. As I said above Smith was composed, ball use was elite, all decisions made were good, plenty of 1% efforts, kept his feet in traffic and read the play well. Could have easily thrown the towel in and got involved in the spite but just got on with his own game, if he keeps that up will go in the Top 25

Agree that you can tell a lot about a player's character by how they perform in a losing team.

Good to hear that Smith has tidied up his decision making and ball use. Probably the biggest area for improvement following a patchy Championships. Following the champs, he seems to have slipped down the order to the extent that he's generally seen as a second round pick.

I still think Smith has first round talent and offers tremendous value if available in the second round.

Thanks for the write up PSD, much appreciated.

Liam Duggan ... get the vision. Great skills, courage, smarts, good pace. Reminds me of a young Luke Hodge but better. Kicks it 55+.

Get this kid. Future captain. Big wraps but he is very good.

LIAM DUGGAN

Would happily downgrade pick 3 for the Suns 9 and 15 to pick up Ahern and Duggan if possible, would be a great deal for both clubs I think

Would happily downgrade pick 3 for the Suns 9 and 15 to pick up Ahern and Duggan if possible, would be a great deal for both clubs I think

Big fan of Ahern, & IMO would be gone by pick 9. I have him going at around 6 or 7. With TAC Cup finals coming up, a good performance or two could push him up further.

It was this time last year that Bontempelli pushed himself well up the order.

Just ran into Mike Sheehan at a Cafe. Reckons Petracca will go at number 1. Apparently he will be too good to pass up and isn't a risk when drafting. Will be an A-grade for sure.

Nothing is for sure, it's always a risk and how many under 18 games has Mike watched this year...

I have only seen stats, the televised games and highlights of these players. So my opinion should be taken with a mine's worth of salt.

Based on what we need, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a surprise (or two) of the Bontempelli/S Hill variety. I think the players that are most interesting to me are Laverde and Ahern. Laverde is a tall midfielder that covers the ground really well and has great skills. Ahern is another with pace that has a flash of raw ability and awareness that is unteachable.

We have a developing midfield chock full of young inside midfielders. But good teams have a mix of ball winners and ball carriers. We lack players that can carry the footy. Last year we drafted players that can damage outside the contest (Salem, JKH and Hunt) and I suspect (and hope) that we will do so again.

I have only seen stats, the televised games and highlights of these players. So my opinion should be taken with a mine's worth of salt.

Based on what we need, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a surprise (or two) of the Bontempelli/S Hill variety. I think the players that are most interesting to me are Laverde and Ahern. Laverde is a tall midfielder that covers the ground really well and has great skills. Ahern is another with pace that has a flash of raw ability and awareness that is unteachable.

We have a developing midfield chock full of young inside midfielders. But good teams have a mix of ball winners and ball carriers. We lack players that can carry the footy. Last year we drafted players that can damage outside the contest (Salem, JKH and Hunt) and I suspect (and hope) that we will do so again.

Laverde is one that really interests me 'Bob', the only downside is that he runs himself into trouble at times trying to do a bit too much.

Gore as a 3rd round pick maybe with some picks we might get from trades. It seems he is not rated at all by the draft gurus but looked good to me.

Would love this kid

hes a physical beast , like Jesse

From what I've seen of him he's not overly physical just big. Jesse is an angry young man on the field, McCartin is as well, they would put the fear up a few defences.

• Like 2