The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

There is a unique inner drive about some kids who have done the hard yards.

I'd rather us take a punt on one of these kids - than take a punt on another private school bottom feeder.

Are you implying that you wouldn't take Dawes, Salem....or Judd, Ball, Goddard, Richards, Rioli (though not the stereotype), the Scotts, Hawkins etc ???

Just as a side, how does Foxtel undermine free to air TV?

Without the advent of Foxtel the free to air channels would treat viewers with a higher level of contempt than they do currently.

Pay TV has forced free to air into actually treating viewers like they mean something.

Foxtel's coverage of football leaves Channel 7 for dead and makes you realize what televised footy can be when done properly.

If, the majority of people went to Pay TV for their footy, Free to Air stations would most likely have to find other things to put to Air, if the numbers weren't high. Just as the ABC were starting to do re the VFL. They almost dropped it a little while back, but for some outcry.

If Pay TV gets more & more of the watching public, then Free to Air will fall by the wayside & we'll all have to pay for TV watching rights for anything.

And then, if there are 3, or 4 combatants on Pay TV, some with the Footy, others with the Movies, yet another with the best Science & Nature shows,,, we'll have to pay for all 3 registrations, to get what we want.

No, I'll stay with Free to Air, thanks.

jeez... 23 more games and we'd have had him, maybe.... Bloody Magpies... We should bid for him anyway... How awesome would it be to have a Viney, Stretch, Lovett, Healy and Moore in our team.. Wow... these names take me back to the days i fell for the dees...

apparently he hasn't agreed Yet, to go father & son to the Maggies...yet. as of last week anyway.

• Like 1

Are you implying that you wouldn't take Dawes, Salem....or Judd, Ball, Goddard, Richards, Rioli (though not the stereotype), the Scotts, Hawkins etc ???

Exactly. The school has nothing to do with talent or application of the individual. A lot of the private school footballers are on scholarships anyway and want to make it at AFL level.

If we use our first round, I'd like to pick up Brayshaw... Im not sure we'll have the juicy pick to offer like last year.... but if we can do another Tyson type trade, id be hoping that Tom Lamb or Jared Pickett slips through to our pick... Both would be a nice pick up, Pickett's pace looks game breaking and Lambs composure/ball handling skills are awesome... Im leaning toward Lamb though I'm happy with what ever we get...

• Like 1

Painful loss for WA under-18s

SA 2.1.13 5.5.35 6.7.43 10.11.71

WA 2.2.14 3.4.22 7.10.52 9.12.66

GOALS - SA: Press 3; Johansen, Neal-Bullen, Burton 2; Hone. WA: Pickett, Keitel 3; Stewart, Cripps, Bevan.

BEST - SA: Johansen, Stretch, Press, Gore, Neal-Bullen, Wigg. WA: Pickett, Winton, Watson, Lim, Stewart, Walsh.

Vic Metro v Vic Country Game Notes (Round 3)

Vic Country Scouting Notes

Vic Metro Scouting Notes

Bloodlines

It's not sounding like a very interesting first round.

Adelaide would certainly want a first round.

Who would they be willing to trade for our first pick?

Better still who would we like of theirs to top our coffers?

Petracca showing his midfield ability with some dynamic showings in the Championships. Goddard might be sliding a little, needs to finish the Champs well, because he's underwhelmed so far.

Billy Stretch has probably been among the more consistent players so far.

Petracca showing his midfield ability with some dynamic showings in the Championships. Goddard might be sliding a little, needs to finish the Champs well, because he's underwhelmed so far.

Billy Stretch has probably been among the more consistent players so far.

Don't know much about Petracca 'Chaser' but would he be a bit like LeCras, a half forward who can run through the middle or is he developing as a legitimate mid.

It's not sounding like a very interesting first round.

Adelaide would certainly want a first round.

Who would they be willing to trade for our first pick?

Better still who would we like of theirs to top our coffers?

Adelaide has a 1st round pick.

If Chip goes, we could have two picks in the top five.

• Like 1

Our plan very much will depend on frawley I think

I think so too.

If Chip were to go for a Big Retirement package, or the Silverware, we could have 2 picks between 4 & 7... this could really help build us into a strong Unit.

We could pickup say a Pickett & Brayshaw; or trade one again similar to the Tyson deal. either way now, I'm happier with the growing band of leaders we now have about the team. so not as desperate for 23 - 24 yr olds as I was last year.

In saying all of that, I want us to build the longterm player base, & our big game players at our club, One Club players.

.... In the heart, I want chip to stay. In the head, OK either way, but still stimulated with new young players coming onto our list.

Shiel & Jaksch would be my wish from GWS. a hard headed & powerful elite breakaway mid,,, & a tall key swingman equal at either end. often sweeps across packs up forward stealing the ball, perfect for a swingman to hurt.

.... this Dynamic duo is just what the good doctor ordered

common Melbourne make this One stick !

I agree I think one more top line mid would be extremely handy, I think trengove is going to surprise a few next year as well

• Like 1

I agree I think one more top line mid would be extremely handy, I think trengove is going to surprise a few next year as well

so do I, he was in the under 18s, the perfect Roosy player starting on defensive side as a Mid & working hard both ways. strong in the contest, & a players player.

the reason i like Jaksh out of the GWS lineup are a few. there are others going alright in they're young group of Key Talls; forward & back. Numerous above 192cms defenders.

Jaksch is 195 apparently, is young so isn't too highly priced yet, & has always been a very good kid as a swing-man. He came thru our connections at Oakleigh, so we wuld understand him well.

So he can grow as a 195 key tall into the bigger defender we need, & also has that athleticism... he can also play a fleet footed swing-man forward clunking marks. No doubt could run thru the midzone as well?

I couldn't attend WA vs SA on Saturday but attended last week WA vs Vic Metro(started a thread on the game) and was very keen to see how good Brayshaw was. As per my write up Petracca caught my eye, played across HF and also had runs through the middle. Looked a big bodied mid and applied good forward pressure, I love seeing players not only apply pressure but have that want to hurt people (legally) when they tackle or apply contact and he did this at every opportunity.

I know not many had him in the first round/early second round but on what I saw last week will move up fairly quickly and whilst it's only one game he would fit in to our style which is what the Swans have of a number of players who can play several positions and rotate through the middle

Given that gws don't need another project tall kpf, any chance he could push up to selection 1?

Durdin they desperately need a few key position defenders and apparently are trying to turn Cam McCarthy(Pick 13/14 I think from last year) into one

Don't know much about Petracca 'Chaser' but would he be a bit like LeCras, a half forward who can run through the middle or is he developing as a legitimate mid.

Probably more power (and less finesse) than LeCras.

Last year he caught the eye as an aggressive (but at 186 cm undersized) key forward. Good spring and dynamic, played a bit like Jack Darling. Given his body type though the feeling was that he would have to show the ability to play in midfield to get drafted early.

Not superquick, but big bodied with good core strength, his conversion into an inside midfielder appears to be going well. Could become a Rockliff type if he builds that engine. Certainly changing a few opinions with his play so far.