The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

also, his dad max works for the club.

speaking to someone who follows this stuff closely, he said if we do end up with pick 3 or so then at this stage he expects we'll be taking brayshaw.

he also expects mccartin to go #1 over wright, as he's a genuine kpp forward / defender with wright being more ruck-forward than forward-ruck.

• Like 2

I still can't understand why we didn't take Templeton at pick 2 in the rookie draft.

Jayden Hunt might have been the smokey and the questionable call (straight onto the senior list) but to then pluck another player out of obscurity over Eli yet again in the rookie draft?

There's been very little said about Hunt or Harmes since being drafted whereas Templeton has already played 6 games and kicked 4 goals in the big time.

I'd prefer not to harbour spots on either of the lists for long-term prospects, it's a luxury this club can't afford right now.

i think the main difference is that we took Kennedy-Harris, if he wasnt available i think we would find templeton on our list.

our biggest issue was midfielders and that is why Harmes was chosen, the combination of ready made player (jetta), defender (georgiou), developing key forward (king) and midfielder (harmes) is a good way to go about a rookie list in my opinion.

Hunt was the very questionable pick up, heard he was overshadowed by josh kelly and christian salem in school footy, but he always showed great pace, may well develop into a damaging player if he is able to break the lines and use his disposal effectively.

• Like 1

also, his dad max works for the club.

speaking to someone who follows this stuff closely, he said if we do end up with pick 3 or so then at this stage he expects we'll be taking brayshaw.

he also expects mccartin to go #1 over wright, as he's a genuine kpp forward / defender with wright being more ruck-forward than forward-ruck.

Wouldn't be surprised, a lot will hang on the 18's carnival but he really is a genuine forward.

i think the main difference is that we took Kennedy-Harris, if he wasnt available i think we would find templeton on our list.

our biggest issue was midfielders and that is why Harmes was chosen, the combination of ready made player (jetta), defender (georgiou), developing key forward (king) and midfielder (harmes) is a good way to go about a rookie list in my opinion.

Hunt was the very questionable pick up, heard he was overshadowed by josh kelly and christian salem in school footy, but he always showed great pace, may well develop into a damaging player if he is able to break the lines and use his disposal effectively.

Mind you, I can't wait for the kid to get a game and perform big on the big stage.

I can see the headline now... IN HARMES' WAY

I am a huge fan of Brayden Maynard. Runner up in Sandy Dragons B&F in 2013 as a bottom age 16yo player. Strong, smart and get inside mid/half back. Top 10 choice a lock IMO.

Is he old enough to be drafted this year or are you talking 2015 draft

Was at today's Championship opener, was a good game, if a little scrappy at times. Each of the highly touted Vic falls showed glimpses without really taking over at any stage, McCartin probably the best of them today. Looks the most natural forward ahead of Wright and Goddard. Talent with all three is obvious though.

Brayshaw racked up the stats, but I thought the most impressive mid was bottom ager Darcy Parish for Vic Country.

There's a pretty accurate summary of the game here:

Vic Country vs. Vic Metro Game Notes

Vic Country Scouting Notes

Vic Metro Scouting Notes

Cheers for that Chaser, I'm looking forward to WA vs Vic Metro in 2 weeks and getting a live view of Brayshaw. One of the WA boys I rated (Cody Grace) wont be appearing having done an ACL in training.

If we keep this up, we may not even have a top 5 draft pick...

I read this somewhere else on DL the other day, but I no longer care about draft position, because I have faith in our recruiting team that they'll get our early picks right.

• Like 1

I read this somewhere else on DL the other day, but I no longer care about draft position, because I have faith in our recruiting team that they'll get our early picks right.

Agreed.

It doesn't really concern me at all, especially if we manage to snag another kid like Salem.

I was just being flippant.

• Like 1

Cheers for that Chaser, I'm looking forward to WA vs Vic Metro in 2 weeks and getting a live view of Brayshaw. One of the WA boys I rated (Cody Grace) wont be appearing having done an ACL in training.

Brayshaw is an interesting case.

He doesn't seem to me to be a clear cut top choice.

Although his name is often put forward as the best midfielder in this crop, I'm not sure how he'd compare with last year's mids, for instance.

I also wonder about how much influence comes from the privileges he has being a Brayshaw.

Obviously in the AIS/AFL squad they all spend time at an AFL club, but few would have his dad's mate (premiership coach Clarkson) writing up a program for him before preseason to prepare him for AFL footy.

I'd say he has some distinct advantages over other kids his age.

How might their form benefit from having the same such opportunities?

Will it limit his scope for improvement when immersed in the AFL environment compared to others?

Or is it an early indication that he will respond positively to being in the AFL environment (when others might not) and has the right attitude to see him succeed?

I've got no bloody idea.

Just some things to ponder.

• Like 1

Although his name is often put forward as the best midfielder in this crop, I'm not sure how he'd compare with last year's mids, for instance.

I also wonder about how much influence comes from the privileges he has being a Brayshaw.

Obviously in the AIS/AFL squad they all spend time at an AFL club, but few would have his dad's mate (premiership coach Clarkson) writing up a program for him before preseason to prepare him for AFL footy.

Will it limit his scope for improvement when immersed in the AFL environment compared to others?

Or is it an early indication that he will respond positively to being in the AFL environment (when others might not) and has the right attitude to see him succeed?

I've got no bloody idea.

Given he trained with us for a bit, I would hope Roosy and the boys got a bit of a look at him. If we go with him, we go with him, but I think we're well positioned to get a feeling for him.

• Like 1

Given he trained with us for a bit, I would hope Roosy and the boys got a bit of a look at him. If we go with him, we go with him, but I think we're well positioned to get a feeling for him.

I forgot about that.

Should give us some great insight.

• Like 1

2009 Draft MFC

1 Scully - loser gone

2 Trengove - injured - we hope he returns

11 Gysberts - gone

18 Tapscott - going?

34 Max Gawn - could be the best of the draft for us - go figure

50 Fitzpatrick - could be second best.

Sometimes the late picks can pay off, specially the big blokes.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

2009 Draft MFC

1 Scully - loser gone

2 Trengove - injured - we hope he returns

11 Gysberts - gone

18 Tapscott - going?

34 Max Gawn - could be the best of the draft for us - go figure

50 Fitzpatrick - could be second best.

Sometimes the late picks can pay off, specially the big blokes.

That payoff may come...in 2015 and beyond...

2014 for Gawn is all about staying fit for a season.

2014 for Fitz is all about trying to get a few games in the AFL.

6 seasons is along time to wait for players - I agree that late picks for talls is fine, but I would prefer the Rookie List or identifying mature rucks that don't need half a decade.

• Like 2

Penciled that one in from a long way out. I’ll be there if you fancy some company PSD.

I've got no bloody idea.

He reads the play well, is very good around stoppages, but just blazed away too often on Sunday. Brayshaw has previously shown he is a good kick on both sides, so maybe the increased pressure yesterday saw him slam it on the boot more than usual. His work ethic is very good, but seems to lack a little bit of pace to get separation. At the moment I’d rate him at around 5 or 6 in this year’s crop. The talls this year are just too good to be picked below Brayshaw.

Measuring against last year’s group (which was very strong in the first 10) he’d probably rank at around 12 or so. He has some very nice traits, but I wouldn’t be surprised if other mids crop up and overtake him by years end. Corey Ellis showed signs and if Liam Duggan can show off more of an inside game, they could get into the conversation of which mid is first off the board.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 1

Sounds like there's some talented midfielders in the mix.

Three of the four clubs below us - Brisbane, Carlton and Richmond - should all look to recruit a 'tall' at the end of the year. Who knows with GWS.

Personally, I love the sound of Brayshaw. Everyone seems to rate him as a dual-sided hard nut.

I'm all for brayshaw, he has some issues with decision making but those can be fixed he has a tendancy to kick it long and ignore hit up opimtions a little

If chip leaves I'd probably look to trade that compo pick plenty of sides would be keen to get early picks in this draft