The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Is this the right thread to suggest a player for us to look at in the draft

If not could somebody tell us the correct one please.

Yes it is mate, don't be afraid to have your say.

God I wish we were in a position to draft Pickett!

We are in a position to pick any two players after the player St Kilda picks.

If the club 'reached' and chose Dangerfield over Morton - would this place have gone into meltdown? Yes. Would it have been a ridiculous, pointless, and wrong reaction? Yes.

• Like 2

...in 6 years time.

No reason not to think he may develop quicker than that, given Kyfe's (Canons talent manager) comments:

"Kyte believes Wright will thrive in an AFL environment, given he already has a solid base underneath him. "Once he gets on to an AFL type training program, he's going to be a monster,"

Edited by hardtack

We are in a position to pick any two players after the player St Kilda picks.

If the club 'reached' and chose Dangerfield over Morton - would this place have gone into meltdown? Yes. Would it have been a ridiculous, pointless, and wrong reaction? Yes.

and thats why i'm warming to taking N Cockatoo purely because he appears bigger bodied with possibly less polish. How different is his circumstance to Lever's any way?

Edited by DemonTux

No reason not to think he may develop quicker than that, given Kyfe's (Canons talent manager) comments:

"Kyte believes Wright will thrive in an AFL environment, given he already has a solid base underneath him. "Once he gets on to an AFL type training program, he's going to be a monster,"

ht, I get the desire to take a ruck/forward at ND3. But the time it takes for him to come on would be better spent scouring the second tier leagues for a 22-24 year old, or trade for a known AFL commodity, who we know can contribute right away.

If predicting the future of 18 year old small player is troublesome and haphazard - predicting the future of an 18 year old ruckman is a Demilitarised Zone, patrolled at night to keep people out of.

If Roos allowed this selection, I would be stunned.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

I don’t like making judgements based just on a highlights package, but I liked what I saw of Jermaine Miller-Lewis’ highlight reel on the AFL draft hub.

Was in the academy squad and another who would have been rated quite high, but has spent the year injured. Don’t know if he gets picked up this year, but could be a worth a rookie pick.

Have seen a bit of Nathan Drummond, would be very happy to take him at 53 if we take it to the draft.

It seems to me that the draft runs deepish in terms of mids. Later in the draft in other years you tended to get players with questionable disposal etc down the order. It seems that there is a group of really solid mids around aour 40 and our possible 53 picks.

Of course my expect opinion is based on highlights and phatom draft profiles.

Is there anyone with a more informed view?

It seems to me that the draft runs deepish in terms of mids. Later in the draft in other years you tended to get players with questionable disposal etc down the order. It seems that there is a group of really solid mids around aour 40 and our possible 53 picks.

Of course my expect opinion is based on highlights and phatom draft profiles.

Is there anyone with a more informed view?

Don't know about more informed, but from what I've seen at TAC Cup level and the champs, I'd say you're spot on.

Less absolutely outstanding talent at the top of the draft, but runs deeper (for AFL calibre players) than previous years. It's as even as I can remember and I absolutely think there will be pretty good talent available at pick 53.

• Like 1

I hope our selectors have a look at this bloke

NATHAN DRUMMOND 19years from Murray Bushrangers Mid Fielder 181cms and 85kgs

Very good AFL Draft stats

Two things I noticed very clean and accurate disposal and seemed to run around on to right foot a lot.

That could be explained by had a lot of time or..

however could be good mid draft range for us if we are lucky.

Don't know about more informed, but from what I've seen at TAC Cup level and the champs, I'd say you're spot on.

Less absolutely outstanding talent at the top of the draft, but runs deeper (for AFL calibre players) than previous years. It's as even as I can remember and I absolutely think there will be pretty good talent available at pick 53.

If that is the case then you would think that would be using ND53 unless we had something very good lined up at PSD

Edited by jabberwocky

I get the feeling Wright won't even be taken in the top 10 of the draft.

GWS will take McCartin as a replacement for Boyd, but Wright will take too long to contribute, and by the time he does look like giving some sort of payoff, the rules will change and he'll probably be a FA.

Drafting kids like Wright will not make us competitive again in today's climate.

It'll root us to the bottom for as long as the club survives.

Why? She watches more junior footy than anybody in Victoria. If anyone is qualified to comment on this year's draftees it's her.

The only draft expert you should read is Machsy. Just ask him.

His expert opinion on McCartin was brilliant.

I watched some Falcons games but I didn't know if he was actually playing as I wasn't looking out for him.

Pure gold now he says McCartin will go at 4 and is a good player after saying he wasn't worthy with a spot insde the top 15 to 20 players.

I'm sure he will hail him as the next Plugger if we select him it's the Demonland way.

You have now been told Machsy is the only draft expert that can satisfy your needs.

• Like 1

Is there a way that we can ask for special assisstance with the case of Trenners? In efffect he is unusable as a player for us [effectively a long term bank deposit/bond instead of current account]?! Can't we retain him outside of our list [and the Rookie list] so that we effectively have forty players at our disposal [and four rookies], the same as every other Club? I would be bitterly disappointed if we could not take Newton and also use pick 40.

Paige Cardona Phantom Draft 4.0: Part I

September 12, 2014

Pick 2: Melbourne – Angus Brayshaw

Position: Midfielder
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 87 kg, DOB: 09/01/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 2-10
Player comparison: Sam Mitchell

Make no mistake about it, Angus Brayshaw is adored by Paul Roos. Should the Demons hold onto their first round pick, you can put the house on the Demons selecting Brayshaw – the son of Mark and nephew of James – with their very first selection. Brayshaw has his fans because what you see is what you get: he is a serious footballer who is professional in every aspect of his game. Brayshaw is a diligent trainer and preparer, and leaves no stone unturned in ensuring he ticks boxes in his recovery. From a footballing aspect, Brayshaw is tough and courageous, dominating clearances and wins his own ball. He can move forward to kick goals, and when he isn’t doing that, he’s setting them up or inspiring his teammates with acts of desperation. Despite being largely inside, Brayshaw rates in the upper echelon in metres gained, loving to take the game on by backing himself to break lines and fend off opponents. Likely to feature in a club’s leadership group within three years, the All Australian, AFL-AIS member and Dragons skipper will automatically improve Melbourne’s list alongside some very promising kids on Melbourne’s books.

Player Update: He suffered a nasty ankle injury in the semi-final last week against North Ballarat. Has been named to take on Oakleigh; expected to line up. Also named on-baller of the TAC Cup team of the year.

Pick 3: Greater Western Sydney - Jake Lever

Position: Key defender
Height: 192 cm, Weight: 84 kg, DOB: 05/03/1996
Club: Calder Cannons
Projected draft range: 3-15
Player comparison: Cale Hooker (more athletic)

Despite suffering a well-documented ACL tear in January, Jake Lever is still regarded as one of the most sought after defenders, who often plays taller than he appears. Lever has a nice balance in his game to offer a close-checking role, as well as providing an option to roll-off half back and set up play with his long and precise kick that often finds a target. He also adds a touch of mongrel to add to his aggression and physicality, and it’s a part of the game that he relishes as a defender. Put simply, he loves to niggle. Lever is at his best when he plays a free-wheeling role as a loose man behind the ball: his marking game is superb, as is his nous to read the play which is equally as impressive. For a tall guy, he moves well with ball in hand and isn’t afraid to move it on quickly, whether that be by offering a dashing run from defence, or letting go of a long, direct handball to clear the area.

Player Update: Lever has been enjoying full training at the Calder Cannons over the past month. Surprisingly was named last night in Calder’s preliminary final squad against Dandenong. Could make a surprise return either this week, or in next week’s final. Either way, will be rusty.

Pick 4: Brisbane - Patrick McCartin

Position: Key forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 95 kg, DOB: 19/04/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 1-5
Player comparison: Jonathan Brown/Taylor Walker

It could turn out to be a dream scenario for the Lions, who’ve been super-keen on Paddy McCartin through the past 24 months. Unlike the majority of Brisbane’s current talls, McCartin is a genuine, old-fashioned full forward. He busts through packs, takes big contested grabs, inspires with his courage and is always the source of headaches for the opposition. He’d add the perfect dynamic to the beanpole, athletic and agile talls already at the club, and looms still very much in the frame for the number one pick. It was a frustrating year for Patrick McCartin who suffered niggles throughout the season that robbed him of a consistency and a clean run, all unfortunately coming at important times of the year. He was hampered by a quad complaint throughout the National Championships, and was struck down with an adductor strain in the qualifying final a fortnight ago. Ultimately, it meant he missed the semi-final, in which the Falcons bowed out in. When fully fit, McCartin is unstoppable: he’s an aerial threat and he demands the opposition’s best defender.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The post above was based on us having a single pick in the top 10 and taking Brayshaw after Petracca. It also had GWS with pick 2 [now Melbourne] taking Lever and Brisbane [now Collingwood] taking McCartin. For the same reasoning that she has given for Brisbane, I see no reason that we would not take McCartin as, at the time she compilrd this Phantom Draft, GWS still had Boyd [and Frawley was techically still on our list]. It makes sense that we would take Brayshaw [as the best available midfielder] and McCartin [as the best available KPF]. Obviously we would take Petracca if St Kilda opted for McCartin on the same rationale.

Edited by CBDees

Would not be surprised to see us take Clem Smith at 40, his defensive game would appeal to Paul Roos. His weaknesses could be ironed out by McCartney and co.

The only draft expert you should read is Machsy. Just ask him.

His expert opinion on McCartin was brilliant.

I watched some Falcons games but I didn't know if he was actually playing as I wasn't looking out for him.

Pure gold now he says McCartin will go at 4 and is a good player after saying he wasn't worthy with a spot insde the top 15 to 20 players.

I'm sure he will hail him as the next Plugger if we select him it's the Demonland way.

You have now been told Machsy is the only draft expert that can satisfy your needs.

WERRIDEE says that Sam Blease will win a Brownlow at Geelong...

Hey! You're right, it is easy to make sh*t up and attribute it to other people!

Nice one nuffy.