Captain Nathan Jones?

Mister Ed

Hmm, now that you mention, I guess Nathan Jones does seem to have been taking a bit more of a leadership role over the last year in particular.

I do wonder why this hasn't been discussed more elsewhere.

:huh:

(Edit - alas for the lack of a sarcasm font, some people thought I was serious in my wondering. There have been threads all over the place about this, for about two years, plus the traditional 'future captain' posts made about him six years ago as soon as he got his first rising star nomination. I was just trying not to be harsh on the OP)

Edited by Little Goffy

Nice off topic back track Bitty.

However, I must confess to agreeing, I don't think Jones should be our next captain (but he might well end up as it). I honestly don't think he is a natural leader, he is more of an introvert. Yes he leads by doing, but in an ideal situation he would be one of many mids that lead by doing. That's where we are aiming. He's been seen as a leader largely because he's done more than others, as evidenced by his two B&Fs. I think Grimes and/or Garland should be captain, with Viney groomed to take over in about 3-4 yrs.

Nice off topic back track Bitty.

However, I must confess to agreeing, I don't think Jones should be our next captain (but he might well end up as it). I honestly don't think he is a natural leader, he is more of an introvert. Yes he leads by doing, but in an ideal situation he would be one of many mids that lead by doing. That's where we are aiming. He's been seen as a leader largely because he's done more than others, as evidenced by his two B&Fs. I think Grimes and/or Garland should be captain, with Viney groomed to take over in about 3-4 yrs.

How touching Moonie. We have moments of accord - it makes me tingle. However, to get back on topic, I would exclude Garland for much the same reasons as Jones. Also I don't think Grimes is ready for it either. I am in fact, uncertain. I would like Clark in many ways, but his limited number of games exclude him IMO.

An interesting decision to come.

Frawley is most likely to swear in live tv situation so that is big ups from me.

Otherwise give it to the biggest suckhole.

It's an interesting one. Jones is clearly a player with exceptional 'football character', professional discipline, and an all-round positive attitude to footy and life. He takes an interest in the development of other players, has been in the leadership structure for a while, and has a track record of both giving and receiving criticism in a constructive way.

He's an experienced player coming into the peak of his career after already putting in multiple years of consistent high quality performances, and despite a highly physical playing style has managed to barely miss a game in his career.

Also, there's not a single other player on our list who meets more than a few of these criteria at once. Particularly the 'consistent quality and not inclined to injury' issue.

So why is there doubt about him being the next captain? And there is doubt, even I feel it. What is the psychological need not being filled?

Does he need to be taller? Have better posture? More hair? Look better in a suit?

Or is it simply that his game is in a 'glamour hole' where he is not seen saving the day with dramatic 1%ers and cut-off marks in defence, kicking bags of goals, or bursting free from the middle to launch attacks?

He's a low-hype team-oriented player, does that make him less eligible for leadership? Or does he simply have to wait until he is old enough to fit the archetype filled by James McDonald - the quiet veteran with the respect of all?

There's the problem - he doesn't fit with any of the assumed 'images' we have in our heads of what an AFL captain looks like.

• Like 1

It's an interesting one. Jones is clearly a player with exceptional 'football character', professional discipline, and an all-round positive attitude to footy and life. He takes an interest in the development of other players, has been in the leadership structure for a while, and has a track record of both giving and receiving criticism in a constructive way.

He's an experienced player coming into the peak of his career after already putting in multiple years of consistent high quality performances, and despite a highly physical playing style has managed to barely miss a game in his career.

Also, there's not a single other player on our list who meets more than a few of these criteria at once. Particularly the 'consistent quality and not inclined to injury' issue.

So why is there doubt about him being the next captain? And there is doubt, even I feel it. What is the psychological need not being filled?

Does he need to be taller? Have better posture? More hair? Look better in a suit?

Or is it simply that his game is in a 'glamour hole' where he is not seen saving the day with dramatic 1%ers and cut-off marks in defence, kicking bags of goals, or bursting free from the middle to launch attacks?

He's a low-hype team-oriented player, does that make him less eligible for leadership? Or does he simply have to wait until he is old enough to fit the archetype filled by James McDonald - the quiet veteran with the respect of all?

There's the problem - he doesn't fit with any of the assumed 'images' we have in our heads of what an AFL captain looks like.

Not sure what all that rubbish is about. He's the best midfielder (and best player) on the team and he does all the hard stuff. He's just like a lot of other captains like Andrew Swallow, Callan Ward, Nathan Van Berlo, Marc Murphy, Travis Boak. Some of those are better players than Jones with bigger names and more X factor, some aren't.

The reason Jones wasn't appointed as captain before is as he admitted himself that he was more individual focused and concerned about establishing his own game before being a complete leader who helps the other players. That's fine. In fact it's a good thing. And now he's had 2 very good seasons he can show he is improving his leadership and supporting more players not just leading by example.

Anyway, Paul Roos is wonderful at never committing to anything before time but he's also a creature of habit and all signs so far point to him going for multiple captains. And Jones being one of them.

I'm very confident it's going to be Grimes, Jones and quite possibly a third of which Garland is a leading candidate

If that were the criterion, we would have no captain

naked-gun-face-palm-head-slap-doh-136019

You're back Stuie and subtle as usual!

If I was a Mod (and I would make an exemplary one of course) I would have banned you for far longer than me!

For the record, the gif I posted was of some mob sized face palming, bandwidth must have been used up.

Also, please remember you were banned for harassing another poster and I was banned for defending that poster, so let's start 2014 as grown ups hey?

For the record, the gif I posted was of some mob sized face palming, bandwidth must have been used up.

Also, please remember you were banned for harassing another poster and I was banned for defending that poster, so let's start 2014 as grown ups hey?

So can we have a good old slag off for two more days without somebody getting upset please?

Hmm, now that you mention, I guess Nathan Jones does seem to have been taking a bit more of a leadership role over the last year in particular.

I do wonder why this hasn't been discussed more elsewhere.

:huh:

I really do think YOU are a little out of the loop up there,he's been doing it for years !

Perhaps Bronny Bishops been ruling common knowledge out of order lateley or werent you listening to Anna or Slippery Pete ?

Sorry I love Jonesy but after my first and only visit of a melbourne training session, Jack Grimes for me. He epitomises everything we need in a captain!!

Basing your decisions on such a thorough process would have gotten you the job as coach of MFC around 2 years ago...

Sorry I love Jonesy but after my first and only visit of a melbourne training session, Jack Grimes for me. He epitomises everything we need in a captain!!

You really gather your evidence, don't ya.?

Loveya for your opinion. At a training session I saw at Subbie when we had about four of the cousins playing against the weagles Nate hit the track half an hour before anyone else. We lost that game close to 186 too !

My point you may well ask. He didn't have tatts then and he wasn't interested in media.He's been doing the hard yards better and longer than your nominee. Two B&Fs also !

Do we really get avote. I hope not !!!

Two players have said they'd like to be captain now, and both have been reported on the club website. I don't believe we'll see any more hats in the ring between now and February. Co-captains Grimes and Jones is my tip.

Surely, I am certain that will be the case - why would we have been publicly informed that Trengove is out.. and not Grimes? It's because he is going to remain.. and Jones will effectively replace Trenners which makes a lot more sense.

Surely, I am certain that will be the case - why would we have been publicly informed that Trengove is out.. and not Grimes? It's because he is going to remain.. and Jones will effectively replace Trenners which makes a lot more sense.

Fair assumption C & B. Could you now explain to the rest of us taxpayers why we are paying for Leading Teams to be brought in or are they doing it free and gratiouse ?

Fair assumption C & B. Could you now explain to the rest of us taxpayers why we are paying for Leading Teams to be brought in or are they doing it free and gratiouse ?

Remember leading teams is about leadership throughout the team. It's about ownership of the teams destination and so on. It's not just a method for finding leaders but also for developing them.

Either way Grimes and Jones stand out in so many ways - the way they play, the type of players they are, the way they train, the way they behave off the field, age and experience level and so on that it doesn't matter if you go by leading teams, common sense or any other measure they look like they will be captains. If Grimes was never moved from half back so much these last couple of years he'd also have a better playing record that might've silenced some critics.