The case against Roos

DeeSpencer

Just plain stupid, clearly didn't watch Roosy go out of his way to declare interest publicly, or hear about when he met with out leadership group or when he met with PJ and powerbrokers at the G, orr... or when he entered contract negotiations last thursday....

i reckon he might be a lil interested

I did what Roos interview and was not that impressed.

I have personally employed dozens of people for may different jobs over the years and I would never talk someone into taking a job they are not interested in. As it would NEVER turn out to be the right decision.

IMO Roos would be good for the MFC if he was truly interested in coming to the Club. There been a number of coaches in the past that moved to new Clubs for money and have been failures e.g. Malcolm Blight.

Lets get a Coach who will really make a difference.

I did what Roos interview and was not that impressed.

I have personally employed dozens of people for may different jobs over the years and I would never talk someone into taking a job they are not interested in. As it would NEVER turn out to be the right decision.

IMO Roos would be good for the MFC if he was truly interested in coming to the Club. There been a number of coaches in the past that moved to new Clubs for money and have been failures e.g. Malcolm Blight.

Lets get a Coach who will really make a difference.

What makes you think he is not interested and is not making it look like he is not interested so the reporters don't have a field day with their assumptions though?

i actually felt watching it that he was very interested, his only concern was if he would be putting his family out, which is great that he has good values

meeting the leadership group has to show some level of interest surely?

What makes you think he is not interested and is not making it look like he is not interested so the reporters don't have a field day with their assumptions though?

i actually felt watching it that he was very interested, his only concern was if he would be putting his family out, which is great that he has good values

meeting the leadership group has to show some level of interest surely?

The comments about 50/50, although that seems to have increased from 0% recently.

I just want the Club to get the right person for the coaching job.

Although I like the Roos option, but I am not 100% convinced he the right option due to the interest factor.

But I do hope you are right and he is very keen on the job if he does become Coach as I not sure we can handle another failure at this time.

Who ever is Senior Coach will have a hell of a lot of work to do to turn things around.

2m on a long term contract would financial devastating if he was to be sack. TBH I not sure we could afford to sack him as the payout would be hugh.

The comments about 50/50, although that seems to have increased from 0% recently.

I just want the Club to get the right person for the coaching job.

Although I like the Roos option, but I am not 100% convinced he the right option due to the interest factor.

But I do hope you are right and he is very keen on the job if he does become Coach as I not sure we can handle another failure at this time.

Who ever is Senior Coach will have a hell of a lot of work to do to turn things around.

2m on a long term contract would financial devastating if he was to be sack. TBH I not sure we could afford to sack him as the payout would be hugh.

I made the point about being 'blighted' ages ago, but I can't determine his motivation and neither can you.

Frankly, any coach of his calibre should take convincing to take on this club. We have a rookie President, a AFL-parachuted short term CEO (who is very good btw), zero FD bar Viney and Taylor and maybe Craig, and no midfield save for Jones and Viney.

The fact that he is coming around now also doesn't mean he is 'coming around now.'

I heard whispers a month ago that we were contacting Assistant coaches about being assistant coaches and I thought it was stupid, or we thought Roos was a chance (which I also thought was stupid).

But here we are and the unthinkable is running through our heads.

I think he has already committed, but he just hasn't signed yet...

• Like 1

1. Has been out of the game for a while

2. Is obsessed with his Sydney side - is he one dimensional?

3. Is he more interested in the money

4. Never developed players just drafted in senior ones and developed the team

5. Only won one flag in 2005 - 8 years ago

6. Had John Longmire and Ross Lyon working under him - were the assistants really the brains trust?

7. Goodesy, Joshy, Kirky, Pykey should i go on...

8. The wife don't want him to coach

MFCSS kicking in early. When a 2 win season and negativity is you're starting point then it can only get better.

I was hopin someone else would pick up on this, so maybe my memory is not as accurate as I believe ............................... but pretty sure Joshy (kennedy) and Pykey did not play in his two grand final apperances!

• Like 1

I made the point about being 'blighted' ages ago, but I can't determine his motivation and neither can you.

Frankly, any coach of his calibre should take convincing to take on this club. We have a rookie President, a AFL-parachuted short term CEO (who is very good btw), zero FD bar Viney and Taylor and maybe Craig, and no midfield save for Jones and Viney.

The fact that he is coming around now also doesn't mean he is 'coming around now.'

I heard whispers a month ago that we were contacting Assistant coaches about being assistant coaches and I thought it was stupid, or we thought Roos was a chance (which I also thought was stupid).

But here we are and the unthinkable is running through our heads.

I think he has already committed, but he just hasn't signed yet...

I am a fairly good at assessing peoples motivations but maybe you have some difficulties in that area, not sure as I don't know you. Although calling me slow or an attention seeker always show more about yourself and very little about me. Agree or disagree with my comments as much as you like as that what this forum is about but make it personal and you got yourself a WAR!!!

I keep my response to you very simple so you can understand and not get too confused. It appears you spend a lot of time clicking on post and may be it would be better to think more about your comments first may be beneficial.

My comment about Malcolm Bight was only intended to show why the MFC needs to be cautious about selecting a new coach. It is relevant if he continued his coach because of the money as on the evidence I have seen I believe it to be true and that is why I believe the MFC needs to be careful. No one person will turn the MFC around, it will need to be a team approach.

If the MFC is going to pay around 2m for a new coach regardless of who that coach may be the Club needs to consider all of it options first. Because if they make a mistake this it will be the end of the MFC as we all know it. In other words the MFC can not afford to make a mistake. It simple does not have enough money to pay out a 2m contract.

A complete SWOT analysis should be undertaken as to each candidate to ensure the Club is aware of any potential risks associated with each option.

IMO if someone not interested in a job they should never be recruited.

Based on what I seen and read I have questions about his interest in the job. But remember I am not part of the recruitment panel so I only have limited information.

Therefore I may be completely wrong with my assessment about his interest in the position and if I am its my opinion he would be a good appointment, but not sure of the 2m price tag though.

Edited by TheBigFrog

I am a fairly good at assessing peoples motivations but maybe you have some difficulties in that area, not sure as I don't know you. Although calling me slow or an attention seeker always show more about yourself and very little about me. Agree or disagree with my comments as much as you like as that what this forum is about but make it personal and you got yourself a WAR!!!

I keep my response to you very simple so you can understand and not get too confused. It appears you spend a lot of time clicking on post and may be it would be better to think more about your comments first may be beneficial.

My comment about Malcolm Bight was only intended to show why the MFC needs to be cautious about selecting a new coach. It is relevant if he continued his coach because of the money as on the evidence I have seen I believe it to be true and that is why I believe the MFC needs to be careful. No one person will turn the MFC around, it will need to be a team approach.

If the MFC is going to pay around 2m for a new coach regardless of who that coach may be the Club needs to consider all of it options first. Because if they make a mistake this it will be the end of the MFC as we all know it. In other words the MFC can not afford to make a mistake. It simple does not have enough money to pay out a 2m contract.

A complete SWOP analysis should be undertaken as to each candidate to ensure the Club is aware of any potential risks associated with each option.

IMO if someone not interested in a job they should never be recruited.

Based on what I seen and read I have questions about his interest in the job. But remember I am not part of the recruitment panel so I only have limited information.

Therefore I may be completely wrong with my assessment about his interest in the position and if I am its my opinion he would be a good appointment, but not sure of the 2m price tag though.

Yeah, your analysis sort of hit a hollow point when you just refuse to take relaity into account with this post:

He not truly interested in the job, pity.

Who would think that? After all that has been rumoured, mooted, and said aloud, that he isn't interested in the job?

You could say that if you were on Lions-land - the Brisbane supporter website, but not the MFC.

If he had no interest then he could have stuck to his tried and trusted "don't feel like it yet" and then go and become WCE's coach...

And I don't think you are slow, but I do think that you are using extreme language to get the attention of posters.

Congratulations...

Yeah, your analysis sort of hit a hollow point when you just refuse to take relaity into account with this post:

Who would think that? After all that has been rumoured, mooted, and said aloud, that he isn't interested in the job?

You could say that if you were on Lions-land - the Brisbane supporter website, but not the MFC.

If he had no interest then he could have stuck to his tried and trusted "don't feel like it yet" and then go and become WCE's coach...

And I don't think you are slow, but I do think that you are using extreme language to get the attention of posters.

Congratulations...

Maybe it better we agree to disagree.

I only posted a short message but it one I felt was and still is true. You and other may disagree with this assumption as its your right, but I also have the right to my own beliefs.

Did not care if it got a reaction or not to be honest.

The MFC does need to be careful for so many reasons with selecting its next Coach.

The decision to pay anyone close to 2m could financially destroy this Club.

The biggest danger in any organisation is not have someone to question things. As without that bad decision are likely to be made.

Not a bad thread in that it brings up some discussion points rather than more messianic adoration (of which I am proudly part of!)

1. It has been only 3 years (hasn't it?)I think and he had still been involved in coaching in Sydney and football in analytical capacity.

2. A risk with all coaches, but I am hoping he can help build the culture of the club and set elite standards that will last past his tenure. Yes, I'd love him to win us a flag in his first 2-3 years but I'm more interested in building a club that is successful in terms of repeat finals, lots of wins, etc. over a decade than winning a flag then dropping back down the bottom the next year, and need sustained success to get our brands and supporter base back on track

3. No. His current coaching and media contacts are width a similar ball park figure, even if it is a touch lower, the additional work goes and effort will balance the extra pay.

4. Interesting point, I've not revised his development of players but he had since spent time working with the development academy, may have learnt new skill sets. Also has track history of getting the best out of bit part players, so could really improve our existing list by bringing out their strengths.

5. Not relevant. Over history, not many coaches have won one flag. Hardly any have won multiple flags. Fewer have had ultimate success at a second club. The reason we want a premiership coach isn't because that makes him more qualified to win another flag but it's because he has credibility and experience in the role.

6. Good point, so knows? He will be bringing his own assistants and is are all out of contract.

7. Good point but if a couple of pays cone on we have a solid core just no superstars.

8. Who does she want?

that is brilliant, who does the master's wife want as coach?????

Edited by baysidedave

Actually it's a SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) and it's more applicable to a project or business venture than an individual's assessment.

True I just hit P in error.

More worried that someone at the Club is properly evaluating the proposed coaches then just throwing money on the table without full understanding any potential risks to the Club.