Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Bloody Leigh Matthews comes out unprompted to defend Essendon and say they're being used as a scapegoat.

For what? For all the clubs and players taking drugs?

I'm not sure about that.

But where the hell was he when the dees were being made a scapegoat for years on end of teams tanking to get priority picks?

Bloody Leigh Matthews comes out unprompted to defend Es
Bloody Leigh Matthews comes out unprompted to defend Essendon and say they're being used as a scapegoat.

C.S.Lewis wrote an essay many years ago called "The Inner Circle" about the unspoken but real as steel conspiracy between the power group and their supporters

It helps to explain some of the otherwise puzzling alliances out there I find

I recommend reading it rather than watching Melbourne replays

• Like 1

I'll be frank about Essendon, they cheated and have been caught. I just hope they are severely punished.

AOD9604 is a small synthetic peptide that mimics the active site of the Human Growth Hormone (HGH) - Yes the same hormone Stallone used to bulk up for his Rambo 6 film (HGH that is). The active site is the region of the protein (hormone) that binds to its corresponding receptor and activates an internal proteomic signaling cascade. Downstream of this activation (via the IGF1 and IGF2 intermediate proteins, also hormones) promotes an increase in skeletal mass, muscular mass and lipolysis (fat burning).

Generally speaking the media have hyped the term peptide as a bad thing, they are not. Proteins are comprise of peptides that are made up of amino acids. There are more than 60 thousand proteins within our bodies with various functions. It just depends what these synthetic peptides have been designed to mimic (e.g. HGH is and was naturally essential for our physical development as we've aged).

From your forum Molecular Biologist/ Biochemist (Note: My personal research focuses on cancer invasion)

I

• Like 3

For what? For all the clubs and players taking drugs?

I'm not sure about that.

But where the hell was he when the dees were being made a scapegoat for years on end of teams tanking to get priority picks?

We all know that there have been PR firms and 'spin-doctors' hard at work in the back ground. What is particularly concerning to me is the number of unfounded allegiances that have popped up in the media.

Be it a Leigh Matthews quote, Chip Le Grand (who's he? Yeah, I know!) in the paper, Gerard Whately on the TV, even fringe media such as Samantha Lane have an opinion for once! Johns Laws would be walking up and down the corridors banging on doors trying to get a slice of that 'Cash-For-Comment' pie...

Opinions are for sale Ladies and Gentlemen. C'mon, I'll take your money. I'll walk away with a very fond opinion of Ben Johnson, West Germany and Essendon for a fist full of pineapples. ;-)

Now we don't know if Essendon will be charged and if they are how serious it will be. Assuming that they are charged - is there anyone from the club that we can scavenge. Surely if the club is charged some at the club will want out. Is this a possibility or have all at Essendon been tarnished?

Judging by what the media has been saying this drug crisis revolved around the top - Hird, Bomber etc.

Surely if they are deemed guilty then there will be some innocent staff that feel their reputation would be stained by staying at Essendon.

So is there anyone at Essendon that we could snare staff or player?

Bomber Thompson would make a great assistant coach but his reputation seems to be stained (whether found guilty or not)

A midfield coach would be nice!

Edited by Young Dee

If the players are all banned do Zaharakis and Goddard become free agents having not been injected?

if so 700k each to join the red and blue army ;)

If the players are all banned do Zaharakis and Goddard become free agents having not been injected?

if so 700k each to join the red and blue army ;)

Good question - I have no Idea

both would be nice!

feel for goddard, left a bottom club to continue the dream of glory and run into this mess

he could jump over to us no worries.

don't know about zaka as he may not have injected but that doesn't mean he didn't ingest

How's Hocking travelling? I remember he was pretty impressive at one stage.

His last 2 games have been pretty good (for a tagger?)

Collingwood: 20 (DT 83)

West Coast: 22 (DT 92)

Edited by Young Dee

So if essendon gets charged young dee you would want Melbourne to get some of their players or staff. No bloody fear as far as I am concerned. Wouldn't touch em with a 10 foot pole.

So if essendon gets charged young dee you would want Melbourne to get some of their players or staff. No bloody fear as far as I am concerned. Wouldn't touch em with a 10 foot pole.

I think that if they are guilty that only a small few at the club would have known/been involved (the top order - Hird, Bomber etc)

Say we pinch their midfield coach - I doubt he will bring across a drug program and even if he tried to I don't think any clubs/players will risk it now knowing what Essendon are going through.

So yes I would look at some of their staff and possibly players.

Edited by Young Dee

I think looking at any of their players will be very risky whilst any sort of investigation is going on. With the players still a chance of being issued notices by ASADA (that won't come from this interim report but from the final report) and the appropriate privacy issues in place until such notices are issued. Isn't there a huge risk looking at ANY bomber who was at the club prior to 2013?

Coupled with the fact that the bombers are notoriously bad to deal with during trade week anyway, I can't see how a situation like this would make them any better to deal with.

Big no from me (until more is known) on the players!

In regards to staff, I think I'm happy to let PJ, the new coach and head of the footy dept work out what they are doing. Don't see anything at the bombers that is worthwhile grabbing.... dust needs to settle first.

• Like 1

Why on earth not?? If there are quality people at Essendon who have managed to stay clear of all of the dodgy goings on, I would have thought they would be exactly the kind of people we would want at our club; reliable, not easily mislead and clean. Take of the blinkers and look beyond the fact that they are employed by Essendon (assuming that is your problem with them) - worth noting that is where our current CEO spent a good part of his past.

I am sure a few coaches will be looking for work.

I would steer well clear of the playing list.

They are damaged goods for a long time to come.

Which is why Essendrug is in a huge amount of pain, and it is just starting.

Take of the blinkers and look beyond the fact that they are employed by Essendon (assuming that is your problem with them) - worth noting that is where our current CEO spent a good part of his past.

Jackson was there before all this shizen broke out. If you are looking at staff then those at the club when all this so called doping ( I don't know if they are guilty or not ) was going on then I wouldn't mind betting they had knowledge of what was happening. On those grounds I wouldn't be keen on any of them coming to melbourne. We have produced enough of our own dysfunctional admins over the years then why import them from another club ?

Latest AFL Tweet:

2ebc59d89bf316d5519aedf5989b6043_normal.AFL @AFL

The AFL has charged Essendon FC, James Hird, Bruce Reid, Danny Corcoran and Mark Thompson in relation to 2011/12 supplements program

Charges include bringing the game into disrepute (Rule 1.6). A hearing has been set for the 26th of August.

Players, have not been charged and no infringement notices given at this stage. Could be subject to change in regards to ASADA.

More to come including full AFL statement.

Follow live commentary.

More information: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-13/essendon-supplement-scandal-live

Sounds like the MFC tanking outcome:

Hird and Bomber will hang - despite there being no proof of players taking illegal drugs

What a joke - Watson and others admitted it!