Todd Viney Issues

jackaub

A shambolic episode.........because Caro says so?? ;-)))

No Mono not at all

Why are you so defensive

there have been various rumours fro some time ok If you dont want to participate Ignore

For all the ridiculous tripe splashed at Caro over the past 12 months she has actually been pretty spot on with the issues at MFC.

No one liked what she had to say but she was brave enough to put cards on the table and say where MFC problems were. And sadly she has come up trumps. And her criticism of Schwab, McLardy and others are entirely justified and spot IMO.

And if she did print untruths those impacted should have taken her to Court and bring the "truth forward".

I noticed no one has.

Brave? She wasn't brave enough to widen the tanking saga to all players over the last Decade plus.

so shrew played the game with the cards allowed her & she went shooting in a barrel of one. Who filled the barrel for her?

Huh, the AFL obviously wanted the List Mangagement processes to stop & they did nothing to stop them happening when it was kept quiet, & the public in the Naive stakes.

But when the truth be told, they can't handle the bright glow,,, & hand out the 6 shooters to whoever has a pen & a penchant, + an account that needs some settling.

Nothing brave about singling out the One,,,, for the deeds of the many.

How would you know what the veracity and quality of her information is beyond the fact that you don't like what she writes and the easy way is to unknowingly brand it as rumour.

There is no doubt she and other journalist are fed information from within the AFL and the MFC which has been unpleasant to read but would seem to at the very least plausible given Jackson has brought forth.

And you have been completely wrong about the revelations on Schwab. She has been spot on and it's no wonder he is no longer at the Club. Within 2 weeks of being there, the difference between Jackson and Schwab could not have been further apart.

How was she spot on?

She categorically stated that the tanking enquiry would find Schwab guilty and remove him from his position as CEO.

No such thing happened.

• Like 2

Indeed. You don't have to like her or what she says. She may have not put the spotlight on others re tanking (e.g., Richmond), but that doesn't make her wrong in her comments re MFC.

Whether or not she has vendettas against the club or individuals doesn't make her wrong in her assessments of same. At the moment my concerns are in relation to how we rectify the mess we're in, not in how to vilify the person who has described the mess.

And, to pre-empt the ostrich brigade - I am not Caro.

Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif?bfc6c1

No, not Caro, but R U Fan, sorry Bagdadis Bob??? will the real Tim, Fan, Bagdad Bob, stand up?

This is a concern if true obviously, but some of the ins don't strike me as wholly unsuccessful. It's the recruiting prior to 2011 that still irks me.

2012 - off the top of my head:

Draft

Toumpas was very highly regarded - I recall hearing somewhere that both Vineys were excited about his arrival - and both know Wines, even though this must've be a difficult decision.

Hogan - absolute no brainer.

Barry - perhaps paid too much in pick 13, but seemed to be part of the Jack Viney deal.

Jack Viney - again, absolute no brainer, but at pick 27 - a great deal.

Dean Kent - early days, but looks to be a good pick up.

Matt Jones - consistently in our best. Already.

Dean Terlich - same as Matt Jones.

Rodan - questionable, left field selection - but he was pick 287 or something similar.

Trades

Dawes - we now have a very sound forward line, on paper at least. (And backline too IMO - we all know where the issues on the ground are.)

Pedersen - Gysberts - was always nervous about this one - not in recruiting Pedersen as such, but that we paid 'overs' to get him. We need ball magnets in the midfield - and, as everyone here knows, Gysberts showed a lot early on in his career in this regard.

Byrnes - Rivers - Gillies - Moloney - can see the rationale for recruiting Byrnes - already in the leadership group, but losing Rivers for Gillies was a disaster, and losing Moloney for essentially nothing at all was plainly stupid.

IMO the bad stuff is really down to losing Rivers and Moloney for no adequate compensation (yep, I get the free agent stuff), but that's what clever negotiation and managing contracts is all about - they weren't replaced "like for like" - we just lost out, seemingly because of factors that occurred at the end of 2011.

Gillies is the one that I really don't get.

Pity we missed out on Hannath too - but I'm not sure this is anyone's fault though.

iPad typo

We missed out on Hannath because we did not have a pick left by the pre-season draft (Rodan?). Surpised that you didn't mention Steph Martin in your sum-up?

IMO these two are going to be filed in the file marked "Cook"

When was the last time Geelong or North gave away a good player?

We got chumped with these two.

We got Moloney from Geelong and in my opinion he should still be playing in the centre for us with the same intensity that he played in 2011. it is a massive shame that he did not get Neeld and now he is one of the key midfielders for Brisbane!

Viney came to us as a highly respected football person. Being part of the "old boys club" ...hasnt stopped hird and Thompson being a success at Essendon. We cant condemn him because he was a past star!

Neelds trading period was controversial and, as it stands now, a flop. Maybe Viney knew a thing or two and wasnt AFRAID to speak up. Looks to me that most of the levers Neelds been pulling have only been hidden trap doors to the cellar.

Bad analogy with Thompson. Successful Grand Final Coach and set up one of the Greatest modern day teams.

Viney V Thompson?

Hard to not like Viney though. Lyon Healy and Connolly have had way too much behind the scenes influence and I believe undermined Dean Bailey in similar Fashion to the Way Lillee and March undermined Kim hughes when Hughes was Captain.

Leave that for another day...or topic?

Edited by thaipantsman

We got Moloney from Geelong and in my opinion he should still be playing in the centre for us with the same intensity that he played in 2011. it is a massive shame that he did not get Neeld and now he is one of the key midfielders for Brisbane!

Same can be said for Petterd. Still holding firm across HB for Tigers. Rivers would easily be in the Cats starting 20. Why did these established players walk out?

I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread but does anyone else remember the story of Viney having a crack at the players after 186 and Sylvia laughing in his face and walking out?

There must still be some tension there, but that isn't an issue with Viney. I don't think there are any issues with/caused by Viney tbh.

I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread but does anyone else remember the story of Viney having a crack at the players after 186 and Sylvia laughing in his face and walking out?

There must still be some tension there, but that isn't an issue with Viney. I don't think there are any issues with/caused by Viney tbh.

I've heard many wild accusations & stories about that day but not this one.

Guys, Caro is on the money on this one. Very well known amongst AFL circles.

Also an incident involving an assistant coach and Neeld a few weeks ago in a game review session.

Sorry i havent read the article yet, but what is the suggested rift between Viney and Neeld regarding?

Bad analogy with Thompson. Successful Grand Final Coach and set up one of the Greatest modern day teams.

Viney V Thompson?

Hard to not like Viney though. Lyon Healy and Connolly have had way too much behind the scenes influence and I believe undermined Dean Bailey in similar Fashion to the Way Lillee and March undermined Kim hughes when Hughes was Captain.

Leave that for another day...or topic?

good pick thaipantsman,,, Bomba would be the only other one I'd think of other than Roos or Matthews... or a Sheedy as a manager overseeing the coach... but imo he'll stay up in GWS as a spruiker.

I can't believe we are all discussing this yet again, with the same amount of despair as we did back in 1997... & again in 2007

I've heard many wild accusations & stories about that day but not this one.

Yeah well obviously they are all to be taken with a grain of salt but this one seems more believable than others.

Caroline should be forced to prefix every article with the words "AFL pawn". If we have learnt anything from the tanking saga and its shoddy conclusion, it is that Caroline was on 'drip-feed' from AFL insiders. Accept that premise and you would not be surprised that she writes whatever serves an AFL hidden agenda. The AFL are taking control of our club under the umbrella of 'basket case'. Of course, those in the engine room of our once proud MFC seem to have meekly delivered us up for sacrifice. The danger now is that they can merge us, delete us, or send us elsewhere if it serves them well!

Caro's article was just another attempt to take a swipe at Cameron Schwab and blame him for evrything wrong at the MFC. She is a day late at adding her two cents to the glut of articles post mortems and obituaries stemming from another dismal weekend

The Age subs its articles like 50 times. By the time it got through the whole team and everyone had a group hug, they celebrated the finishing of the article with fairy bread and soft drink.

By this time, of course, her articles are redundant, bordering senile.

Case in point: today's article.

People seem to act like we made a huge error selecting Rodan and Byrnes but the fact is we needed experience and there wasn't much else on offer. Byrnes has been horribly inconsistent and while he has been completely missing from games has played pretty well in a couple. Rodan... well he is probably there for off field leadership more than anything as the club knew his injury history and the state of his body but there is still the rest of the season for him to show a bit on the field.

Very true we were trying to replace experience rather than the moneyball principles that some think we followed. As you mention there wasn't a great deal out there and you would imagine that we weren't a prime landing spot. With that said, I can't see how Rodan helps us as he has predominately played in bad teams. Byrnes has played just over 100 games in how many seasons. He had a couple of good seasons a few years back, but has always had disposal issues. The leadership these guys can provide is negated if they can't perform and show the young guys the way onfield.

• Like 3