Coaching Staff

jnrmac

We have 5 people at the club who have coached at senior level.

Neeld, Connolly, Craig, Rawlings and Viney. We have Royal who is clearly a dud and a bunch of other assistants like Leigh Brown.

No-one can tell me that we don't have enough coaching nous at the club.

The problem lies in the fact that this club is fractured. It has been for some years. The Andrews report has never been revealed and I suspect much of the criticism contained in that report will go close to revealing where the problem lays.

The MFC is a boys club. But I'm not sure we can lay the blame squarely at the coaching staff.

• Like 1

Of these, how many are successful coaches and/or explayers. Time has passed most them by.

Of the remaining assistant coaches, how many of them have come through the school of hard knocks that is AFL, gaining no demanding the respect and knowledge that comes with it; and Brown does not fit this description - he was just an AFL player, abliet in successful side (at the end of his career).

There is talent in the playing group, it is vertually impossible for there not to be; so look at .............................. the coaches!!!

and yes you can pick individual examples to contradict this i.e Sellar, Gillies the reality is most of the list would currently perform much better in another environment.

and yes Craig, could be considered successful but in the end he lost the players group (seems familar) and the game has well and truly moved on from his robotic style. Still I beleive he could do a R Eade and reinvent himself as a coach.

Edited by Ungarieboy

From the outside looking in I agree with the school of thought that the boys club has created alot of roles for people that arent held to account, however I think that the real issue still lies with aggression on the field. What are each of the coaches roles.

Maybe Neil Craig should ditch his airy title of Director of Sports performance and take on a role of on field aggression and motivation.

I watched Neil's pre game speech and found it acceptable but with still room for improvement. What shocked me was that at the end of it the players just got up and wandered out in silence. The look in their eyes was of a team that was about to get slaughted.

At the ground I am shocked about how little support and noise they make. The basics are gone - No cheering or calling for the ball. I think the fans have greater influence on player decision making than the rest of the team.

Back to Neil Craig. He is a hard nut and should / could take ownership of building character and aggression. He should take ownership of making sure that when the team goes on to the ground they have rage inside their veins. Every time a player is about to go back on from the bench he should be having a word to them about hardness and aggression.

We are not trying to lift a couple of players but the aggression and effort of all but a few.

WE MUST STAND UP

• Like 1

Brian Royal is a rather bad coach in my books I think we could/should try to get someone who actually knows the position properly and also has had success in the field. I am talking about my hero Shane Woewodin. Been at Brisbane for two years and look at their midfield. Rockliff Redden Zorko just to name three. Former Brownlow Medallist and still loves the MFC. In my opinion we should try and get him to help out our midfielders as our new midfield coach

I agree with that statement but let's be honest Royal is horrible and I seriously like what Woewodin is doing with the Brisbane on ballers... minus Moloney who has been there for 4 months.

There is no way on earth Brett Ratten will ever come back to us

We all talk about building a better club then why not get someone back who is good at what he does and truly loves the club

Slightly OT (apologies) but did anyone else see some of the coaches having kick to kick during the warm up while the players were in a huddle?

I only recognised Leigh Brown reliving his forward line days - probably not the best image to be portraying at the moment.

The warm up lacks any energy and intent. Players seem to he walking 95 per cent of the time which is pretty much how they play. No one seems to be jumping out of their skin to be playing league footy. They just go through the motions.

Slightly OT (apologies) but did anyone else see some of the coaches having kick to kick during the warm up while the players were in a huddle?

I only recognised Leigh Brown reliving his forward line days - probably not the best image to be portraying at the moment.

I didn't see it - I was getting properly prepared for the onslaught to follow (read: drinking!), but I agree with you that this would be unprofessional and sloppy.

if you have two 18 year olds and three players playing their second game your gonna struggle no matter who is coaching. Slyvia must stay in the midfield.

Face it. Sylvia is a dud,