Training - Friday 1st February, 2013

Rigoni Rigoni

1) Have you even bothered to watch him at training? He'll play games this year.

2) Dustin Fletcher has had a good career for a skinny bloke

3) So you think we should only draft players over 22? You know, so they have the body to become a regular?

1) Training = Intensity of AFL matches (lol)

2) Dustin Fletcher plays with no tag and is a defender. His weapon is his reach he doesn't need bulk.

3) Viney, Toumpas, Hogan are under 22 and all have the body to become a regular. They all say "hi" too.

Moloney- long servant who lost his way. Cracked the sads when dropped from the leadership group and went from leader on the field to finger pointer. Neeld gave him ample opportunity to prove himself and crack back into the team, and seeing as he couldn't with our "third world midfield" Moloney proved himself to be a spent force. Conclusion traded. Training habits don't come into it.

Martin- tried in numerous positions around the field yet struggled to find a niche. Had one good season when Jamar went down but unless dominating ruck he ran around like a headless chook. Clearly added nothing to the team on game day. Traded. Training habits don't come into it.

Gysberts- played 20 something games in two seasons. Had 2 stellar first hit outs where named best on ground in debut against the force which is Geelong. Massive potential as an extractor and possession accumulator in a team that was SCREAMING out for midfield talent. One must deduce from that that there was a problem with his attitude. Therefore poor trainer.

You get traded from a club for a myriad of reasons. Moloney and Martin were traded because they didn't fit into the team. There was room for a player of Gysberts ilk yet he was traded. What do you make of that Stuie? And don't tell me we traded out a potential 200 gamer midfield gem for a VFL hardened ruck CHF linkman because Neeld values consistent B graders over potential A graders.

Must be application. But please tell me how Gysberts was a hard trainer because you knew him.

So what you're telling me is you don't have your copy of the email Mark Neeld sent you about Gysberts' attitude and training habits? But then how could you possibly know about..... Ohhhh wait, I get it, you don't. Nice article though Caro Jnr.

• Like 1

1) Training = Intensity of AFL matches (lol)

2) Dustin Fletcher plays with no tag and is a defender. His weapon is his reach he doesn't need bulk.

3) Viney, Toumpas, Hogan are under 22 and all have the body to become a regular. They all say "hi" too.

Hahahaha.... you're wrecking your own points Sloonie....

So obviously you HAVEN'T seen Dom train, and therefore have no idea (as usual) what you're talking about. Dom Barry will play games for us this year.

You're changing your criteria now Sloonie, you just said Dom was too skinny for AFL. As for the third point, you clearly didn't understand it to being with.... Struggletown aren't you?

• Like 1

Perhaps it had something to do with Gys having the worst DE of any player at Casey who averaged 18+ disposals per game. Kicking efficiency of 43%. (AFL Prospectus)

Now come on angry, don't be silly, Sloonie gets personal email updates from Mark Neeld about every players training standards and attitude so she would know better than the rest of us.

• Like 1

Anyways, mods do your thing, this is meant to be a training thread...

Let's just leave it at these points:

1) Sloonie thinks Dom Barry is no good

2) Sloonie knows all the inner workings and feelings of all current and former MFC players

3) Sloonie thinks Dustin Fletcher is only any good because he has a long reach

• Like 2

Think we'll just leave the whole conversation up and let Demonland make up it's own mind.

Btw I never said Barry was no good, I said he was the definition of a risk.

I bloody love you stuie :)

• Like 1

Anyways, mods do your thing, this is meant to be a training thread...

Let's just leave it at these points:

1) Sloonie thinks Dom Barry is no good

2) Sloonie knows all the inner workings and feelings of all current and former MFC players

3) Sloonie thinks Dustin Fletcher is only any good because he has a long reach

Think we'll just leave the whole conversation up and let Demonland make up it's own mind.

Btw I never said Barry was no good, I said he was the definition of a risk.

I bloody love you stuie :)

OMG get a room you two, lol :lol:

So I'm guessing that's a No on a Training Report, Anyone...Anyone...Anyone.

• Like 2

Gysberts is far from being someone who "did nothing wrong". There were a number of reports of the shortcomings and shortsightedness of Gysberts' attitude, including some first hand ones. This even carried over in posts on the North board when he first arrived there.

Maybe he should have been given another couple of years to sort himself out, but on the other hand, we only won 4 miserable games last year, and this just isn't the time.

Meanwhile .... No training report I gather.

Well, it's obvious that people are looking for scapegoats for the lack of actual reports about training and I think for once, we can leave Jack Watts out of it even though the Moorabbin ground is close to his home base around Brighton Grammar and the venue would have been handy for him.

Therefore, on the basis that the buck stops at the top, I propose that we blame the CEO Cameron Schwab. I have no doubt that if his predecessor was still running the place, the lads would have trained at the Rod Laver arena and our regular trackwatchers would have been given computer access in one of those comfy sponsors boxes and we would have had live coverage on D'land.

Bring back Mac!

• Like 1

Well at least we all gained something out of four pages of comprehensive training report: Dean Terlich was injured but he is now OK!

Did anyone manage to get to MELBOURNE training and if so do they have ant comments about how MELBOURNE players trained. This thread has been hijacked by some obsessed by how one of our lazy former players is going at his new club.

How did Barry, Hogan, Toumpas, Viney etc go?

Did anyone manage to get to MELBOURNE training and if so do they have ant comments about how MELBOURNE players trained. This thread has been hijacked by some obsessed by how one of our lazy former players is going at his new club.

How did Barry, Hogan, Toumpas, Viney etc go?

This is a thread about training and no doubt we're all interested in how our blokes went but unfortunately, there's a dearth of information about yesterday's session.

In the circumstances, I think it is reasonable to discuss one of our recent players who reputedly was a poor performer on the track and who, from one report, seems to have undergone an amazing transformation in his attitude to his training. I think it's fair to ask whether this was due to some deficiency in the way we approached the player while he was with us, whether he's had an epiphany since leaving us, whether Brad Scott has some magic formula or whether the story's nothing more than spin?

A few short notes from training:

The boys had an extended warm-up for about an hour, consisting of laps and shuttle runs.

They then moved into two exercises, with players moving quickly from one to the next. The drill was getting players to move the ball quickly in heavy traffic and not overuse it, but rather find the right option. This meant many players didn't get a touch for a while until they presented in the right spot and on the move. Neil Craig was essentially running these two drills.

The full-ground session was essentially a game simulation, or a semi intra-club. The most interesting points were:

* Dawes was plucking everything;

* Viney was streaming across half-back picking up plenty of touches;

* Toumpas got plenty of it in the middle and spent a notable amount of time talking to Rodan throughout the training;

* Leigh Brown spent time with Tapscott and Tappy spent his entire time with the forward group;

* Barry twice streamed down the wing, bouncing it several times. He seemed to blow up a little each time (as you would);

* Sylvia looked leaner to me this year, and less top-heavy;

* Watts seemed to roam from centre half-back to centre half-forward without going into the 50s. I know it's said every year, but he looked broader than he's been;

* Davey looks like Ben Harper at the moment, and had it on a string playing entirely forward.

Basically, they look great when there's no opposition! Let's hope they still look great once they throw a few opposition players into the mix.

• Like 17

A few short notes from training:

The boys had an extended warm-up for about an hour, consisting of laps and shuttle runs.

They then moved into two exercises, with players moving quickly from one to the next. The drill was getting players to move the ball quickly in heavy traffic and not overuse it, but rather find the right option. This meant many players didn't get a touch for a while until they presented in the right spot and on the move. Neil Craig was essentially running these two drills.

The full-ground session was essentially a game simulation, or a semi intra-club. The most interesting points were:

* Dawes was plucking everything;

* Viney was streaming across half-back picking up plenty of touches;

* Toumpas got plenty of it in the middle and spent a notable amount of time talking to Rodan throughout the training;

* Leigh Brown spent time with Tapscott and Tappy spent his entire time with the forward group;

* Barry twice streamed down the wing, bouncing it several times. He seemed to blow up a little each time (as you would);

* Sylvia looked leaner to me this year, and less top-heavy;

* Watts seemed to roam from centre half-back to centre half-forward without going into the 50s. I know it's said every year, but he looked broader than he's been;

* Davey looks like Ben Harper at the moment, and had it on a string playing entirely forward.

Basically, they look great when there's no opposition! Let's hope they still look great once they throw a few opposition players into the mix.

Thanks RR.

Were there any injuries? :blink:

Thanks Rigoni Rigoni (was going to say RR but then you would get mistaken for Range Rover or Rhino Richards)....hang on a second . You're not one of those are you???

Anyway welcome to the Boards Thanks for the reports.

At last a report on training!

Thank you RR: well done!

Love how so many 'Landers bag out Caro and Pierik for unfounded rumours and lack of facts yet they apparently all know Jordan Gysberts training habbits.

The heading of the article is entirely misleading and the substance of the article was based on an interview on SEN that I heard. Harvey didn't say anything about Gysberts that he wouldn't have said about Eric Wallace.

Having seen Gysberts train over the years, not to mention his physique, I'd hardly call him a quality trainer. And it was amusing to hear Harvey talk about how professional Jacobs was just after touching on Gysberts. No-one could look like and run like Gysberts and be a hard working "professional".

Also, it's pretty obvious that Gysberts was one of the players that didn't "buy in". How many times have you heard Jones and Trengove talk about players not buying in over the preseason ? Neeld got rid of them. It would be hardly unlikely that a player that didn't buy in, a player that played one AFL game last year and 14 at VFL level actually trained to his potential. Or anywhere near it.

t0nPabA.jpg

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I know I can.

• Like 3

The other thing I found interesting (and personally I think it differs somewhat to last year) is that the players seemed to know the drills so well, despite there being some pretty confusing drills with bibs going everywhere, players swapping on and off the ground so quickly etc. You got a real feeling that they understood what looked from the outside to be pretty 'busy' drills. The boys were there in the St Kilda rooms 2 hours before they were on the ground, so I dare say the off-field instructions would be sinking in.

• Like 2

This is a thread about training and no doubt we're all interested in how our blokes went but unfortunately, there's a dearth of information about yesterday's session.

In the circumstances, I think it is reasonable to discuss one of our recent players who reputedly was a poor performer on the track and who, from one report, seems to have undergone an amazing transformation in his attitude to his training. I thielf imposnk it's fair to ask whether this was due to some deficiency in the way we approached the player while he was with us, whether he's had an epiphany since leaving us, whether Brad Scott has some magic formula or whether the story's nothing more than spin?

WJ never thought I would see the day when I disagree with you, but this is one of the problems about this board now and agan, 2 posters hijacking the topic to discuss a player who is not even with us, I don't care if he wins the Brownllow this season, the only problem with that is I will have to have one of my self imposed exiles as the board fills with vitriol blaming everybody from the CEO to the boot studder for trading him.

Must we continually revisit the past...new season...whole new bal game....

As I said in nnother post

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!....there I feel better now

• Like 2