New dynamics, new feel, new attitude

H_T

Pre-season 2012/13 will go down as one to remember. Not just for the off field alleged tanking investigation and the copious amounts of articles written throughout spring-summer in Melbourne, either.

What has been somewhat put on the backburner here on Demonland boards these past few weeks/months is our clubs players.

We already know through reading spectacular and frequent updates of the Darwin 9 day camp the players collectively conquered Darwin in oppressive heat and humidity and met the beneficial requirements according to feedback. This trip was not only beneficial for the players, but for the club and hence it's supporters. Guys bond and get to know one another. If the club wanted to fast track players to get closer and generate a positive outcome and confidence in the path the FD were taking them, they pulled the right reins.

Without harping on past midfields of ours in 2011-12. The 2013 midfield promises progress and excitement with a new dynamic being cast. No doubt it's early days still given it's January, but I am genuinely excited and looking forward to seeing what comes to fruition. Why?

* Injection of pace - Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Blease in particular (see new article on Blease http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-01-15/leg-scars-no-longer-an-issue-blease )

* Jack Viney - In and under terrior; quick reaction time; quick decisions; hard and ferocious.

These three players for me will be a breath of fresh air. They will rid of the exhaust we supporters have been breathing in, seeing the same slow down-trodden midfield of recent seasons. Jimmy "Touumpppas" and Blease will be dangerous. I don't want to put to much expectation on JT in his first year, but I feel he will contribute to make a difference. With Sam, I was always hoping and looking forward to him after his setback early on. Playing the last 15 games of last year and gaining a pre-season I believe will do wonders having worked off a low base prior. He is a goal kicking midfielder and he proved that in 2012. I think he will be ready to step up. Just what we crave. JT I think will provide goals too - like Sam, has line breaking pace.

Jack Viney. His thread discussion on here at Demonland is bigger than Ben-Hur. Words cannot describe just how much I'm looking forward to see him ply his trade out in the middle. The only thing is I wish I had two sets of eyes. Because watching him alone will cause havoc with my remote for the rest of the week when I get around to watching the game. I may have to order back-up remotes...

Some excitement may also stem from other new recruits that may have input around the midfield that we drafted in Barry, Terlich and Kent. Pace, run, precision and penetrating kicks could be on the menu for Dees fans.

Then there's some incoming talls with size and presence. Chris Dawes and Jesse Hogan. We won't see the latter until 2014, but it doesn't stop the drooling of what we have in store for a forward line in 2014 with Mitch Clark to boot. New dynamic again, increase in leadership up forward and I'm hoping a good understanding between the talls comes together sooner rather than later. They're mature enough for that to happen early.

2013.....bring....it....on.....FFS.

• Like 5

I can almost guarantee a difference in Sam Blease this year.

I noticed he is not a big ball winner, he use to sit back (as instructed) and wait for the inside ball out from Jones. Now because Jones battled this mainly on his own, Blease only came into use in small dribs and drabs.

I'm sure now with multiple ball winners (Viney/Jones and co) and and having multiple outside mids (Blease/Toumpas and co) it creates more than 1 option evertime as it seemed all oppositions would just tag Jones, block the outside mid and it was a guaranteed clearance for them every time.

If Melbourne win the ball out the middle we have more than Blease now who can dart out of the pack and hit a target forward.

• Like 2

Hurrah a thread that is not about you know what.

I agree H-T there is much to like about the changes

It will be very interesting to see how they pan out.

A number you have listed are kids and is doubtful they will be world betters this year but also hard to see them being worse than the ones that have left.

I still believe we have only a mid level list It is going to take more than one year to turn us into a top eight side.

Please excuse me for a little negativity but based on decades of false dawns I am keeping my cheering at a low level till April.

Rev were are you when i need you?

Still on holidays?

I can almost guarantee a difference in Sam Blease this year.

I noticed he is not a big ball winner, he use to sit back (as instructed) and wait for the inside ball out from Jones. Now because Jones battled this mainly on his own, Blease only came into use in small dribs and drabs.

I'm sure now with multiple ball winners (Viney/Jones and co) and and having multiple outside mids (Blease/Toumpas and co) it creates more than 1 option evertime as it seemed all oppositions would just tag Jones, block the outside mid and it was a guaranteed clearance for them every time.

If Melbourne win the ball out the middle we have more than Blease now who can dart out of the pack and hit a target forward.

I think as 2012 wore on, Blease became more confident not only in his body, but his mind. He's an AFL player and after his first dozen games or so, he soon realised this game was made for him. This pre-season for him I believe is a water-shed time. He'll improve his recovery and aerobic capacity and he'll move up the groups at training. His input and output as a result in games will be greater.

And as you mention, others around him including a stronger midfield will be another benefit.

I didn't mention it in the OP, but I think the likes of Grimes and Trengove (particularly Trengove), second year in as captains will have a greater contribution than in 2012. That's despite Trengove's recent hiccup of a 5-6 week injury.

Let's not forget McKenzie's pre-season to date has been uninterrupted. Together with Jones, Grimes and Trengove might allow Viney to play just as much as outside than inside. Viney is no slouch either and his reactive nature in and around will be a handful for some opposition.

I think as 2012 wore on, Blease became more confident not only in his body, but his mind. He's an AFL player and after his first dozen games or so, he soon realised this game was made for him. This pre-season for him I believe is a water-shed time. He'll improve his recovery and aerobic capacity and he'll move up the groups at training. His input and output as a result in games will be greater.

And as you mention, others around him including a stronger midfield will be another benefit.

I didn't mention it in the OP, but I think the likes of Grimes and Trengove (particularly Trengove), second year in as captains will have a greater contribution than in 2012. That's despite Trengove's recent hiccup of a 5-6 week injury.

Let's not forget McKenzie's pre-season to date has been uninterrupted. Together with Jones, Grimes and Trengove might allow Viney to play just as much as outside than inside. Viney is no slouch either and his reactive nature in and around will be a handful for some opposition.

Not confident we are going to see Trengove in the early games H-T

Not sure what that means but it will interesting to see Viney in the NAB games.

I'm getting excited as well, but hopefully this year, unlike the last two or three seasons, it is justified...with regards to the mids, I am really looking forward to seeing what Rodan brings to the party and what Byrnes can inject into the forward line.

In addition to individuals, I am interested in how the playing group will respond to all of the negative off-field shenanigans; I'm hoping that they will take it upon themselves to win back a lot of the respect that the club will have lost (regardless of the outcome, mud always sticks).

Roll on NAB Cup!

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

I share your optimism having seen past training sessions and a couple pre xmas,the vibe around the place is the best it has been for a long time.

The influx of new faces gives us a renewed hope we will rise from being a seller dweller. The start of the season cant come quick enough. Its not that i am pinning my hopes of a huge improvement,but more a guide on how much we have improved.

A lot of factors are coming into play for this year, the coaches have had a season to get on the same page,understanding the players,and what was lacking,where improvements were needed the most. After a clean out some if not most will be aware what the requirements need to met.

The recruiting for this year,has, on paper,been the best in years. Whether they all click and play as a team is an unknown right now. A couple of early wins will give them a boast. If they can get on a roll.instead of playing catchup is going to make a huge difference for this year.

Theres is a lot to look forward too,but I am not sure how long its going to take. Some intra-club games, NAB cup etc will be the yardstick for this season. Can they step up and put what they have done of the track to a real game? They can all bust their guts out training, playing against other teams,and the variables they throw up is the acid test. The players will need to improvise for different scenerios during a game, as will the coach,can he make the right descisions in the heat of battle,before the horse has bolted? The jury is out atm.

• Like 3

I spoke to a MFC Coterie member yesterday who assured me that the 14 new faces have all been fully accepted and intergrated.

The all want to do well.

Just words i know. But he was very upbeat.

The other issue he was not to concerned about.....

Edited by why you little

I spoke to a MFC Coterie member yesterday who assured me that the 14 new faces have all been fully accepted and intergrated.

The all want to do well.

WYL also heard this yesterday from someone close to the Board.

• Like 1

I watched the game against the Tiges yesterday and can't wait to see a new team out there this year.

In 2012 we looked so s-l-o-w.

Gone from that line up is Bate, Rivers, Martin, Maloney and Bennell.

When these players had the ball in their hands, it was excruciating to watch.

I'm quite optimistic that there will be a quick turnaround.....even though old dee is waiting until April! :)

The all want to do well.

Coterie members usually like to feel they are on the inside, they aren't. They do get a bit more access to the club but their opinions, and they are opinions are often way off the mark.

• Like 1

Coterie members usually like to feel they are on the inside, they aren't. They do get a bit more access to the club but their opinions, and they are opinions are often way off the mark.

even fully-inside people's opinions can be way off the mark...............so what, that's why they're called opinions

At the risk of triggering a debate about Watts i'm really confident he will have a big year and prove to be close to our most important player.

The article about Watts in the book that came with the membership was fascinating. I haven't seen it mentioned on DL. In it Watts sounds super focused, fired up and talks about the development time being over and it now being time to deliver.

He notes that he is loving being part of the backline team and grew in confidence down there after initially being 'hammered in player reviews and meetings because i was not doing what the back-line expects'. He then goes on to say that this season he will be one of the backline leader 'instead of of being taught was is required'.

The issue of his ferocity at the ball was also discussed. Peter Ryan (the author) noted that his basketball background meant that he was conditioned to stay wide and low rather than go straight at opponents, meaning he would 'stop and prop as he hit a pack rather than through the line of the ball'. Ryan notes that Watts worked on shaking off this instinct last year and 'tackling sessions have helped him keep his feet underneath him to retain momentum through congestion'.

I reckon these things resulted in a big improvement in his one on one stuff last season. Sounds as if this will continue to be a focus and wrestling has been added to the training mix to further improve his one on one work.

I've always thought Watts is a confidence player and that his game was not helped by playing different positions. With time to settle down back and taking on a leadership role i am confident he will really grow as a player and take the next step.

In his first 2-3 seasons i was very critical of his ferocity and attack on the ball but i saw a major improvement last year. If he can take that up a level and build his strength he will be a very dangerous player down back with his pace, judgement and skill. I reckon by mid season it will be standard for opposition coaches to put a player on him whose main focus is to take Watts out of the game, such will be his influence and ability to turn defence into attack.

I think Watts has steadily improved as a player. This incremental development has perhaps been a little frustrating as we all want to see the star we had hoped for when getting a number 1 pick. Dare i say it but i reckon this could be the year he goes to the next level (his breakout year?) and become that star.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

At the risk of triggering a debate about Watts i'm really confident he will have a big year and prove to be close to our most important player.

The article about Watts in the book that came with the membership was fascinating. I haven't seen it mentioned on DL. In it Watts sounds super focused, fired up and talks about the development time being over and it now being time to deliver.

He notes that he is loving being part of the backline team and grew in confidence down there after initially being 'hammered in player reviews and meetings because i was not doing what the back-line expects'. He then goes on to say that this season he will be one of the backline leader 'instead of of being taught was is required'.

The issue of his ferocity at the ball was also discussed. Peter Ryan (the author) noted that his basketball background meant that he was conditioned to stay wide and low rather than go straight at opponents, meaning he would 'stop and prop as he hit a pack rather than through the line of the ball'. Ryan notes that Watts worked on shaking off this instinct last year and 'tackling sessions have helped him keep his feet underneath him to retain momentum through congestion'.

I reckon these things resulted in a big improvement in his one on one stuff last season. Sounds as if this will continue to be a focus and wrestling has been added to the training mix to further improve his one on one work.

I've always thought Watts is a confidence player and that his game was not helped by playing different positions. With time to settle down back and taking on a leadership role i am confident he will really grow as a player and take the next step.

In his first 2-3 seasons i was very critical of his ferocity and attack on the ball but i saw a major improvement last year. If he can take that up a level and build his strength he will be a very dangerous player down back with his pace, judgement and skill. I reckon by mid season it will be standard for opposition coaches to put a player on him whose main focus is to take Watts out of the game, such will be his influence and ability to turn defence into attack.

I think Watts has steadily improved as a player. This incremental development has perhaps been a little frustrating as we all want to see the star we had hoped for when getting a number 1 pick. Dare i say it but i reckon this could be the year he goes to the next level (his breakout year?) and become that star.

I hope you're right or I'm going to start another Watts vs NicNat thread.

• Like 1

i know where Coterie Members sit on the food chain. My Brother is one at St. Kilda. When this guy tells me something he is usually on the money.

Go Demons & climb that bloody ladder in 2013.

i know where Coterie Members sit on the food chain. My Brother is one at St. Kilda. When this guy tells me something he is usually on the money.

Go Demons & climb that bloody ladder in 2013.

I know some that have been well wide of the mark and often confuse fact with opinion. Sorry to jump at you on this one 'WYL' but in the last few months I've heard so much BS from 'someone in the know'. I'm happy your source is reliable and positive about the future, we should all be.

• Like 1