MCC Banners Policy.

After last Sundays fun and games with banners and supporters getting stuck in to The Turncoat, I thought it would be interesting to find out exactly what the policy was at the MCG regarding banner size (especially given the rather unhelpful 1.6m claim of a spokesperson after the event).

I started out by going through the MCG Ground Regulations which are available at the MCG website. There is absolutely nothing in there regarding the displaying of banners or signs of any sort, although there is mention of the use of offensive language.

Failing to find the information in an accessible location, I next e-mailed the MCC at [email protected] to see if they could enlighten me. Here is the reply from them:

Thanks for your enquiry.

You are correct in identifying that the MCG Conditions of Entry do not specifically refer to a banner size that is permitted/prohibited at our events. Indeed, it is not possible to cover all of the possible scenarios that patrons might present for us on a given match day.

Instead, our security guards are instructed to use discretion, common sense and judgement under the powers given to them to manage the venue and ensure everyone who comes to the MCG has a safe and enjoyable time. They do this while also trying to ensure the wishes of the venue hirer (in this case the AFL) are carried out.

While there have been a lot of claims made with regards to what occurred last weekend, the basic premise of our approach to signage is that if it’s so large that it could impede the view of others, then it’s considered too big and will be taken down. Similarly, if a sign is covering an advertising hoarding then the patron will be asked to move it. If words or images on the banner are likely to cause offence, then it will also be requested to be taken down.

I hope this has provided at least some clarity, although we appreciate there is a degree of discretion required and also variation in what people in our community will find offensive.

Generally, of the 3.1 million people that have attended AFL matches at the MCG each of the last two years, we have had very little incident and most people come away from the MCG having had a good experience. While we have learnt from last weekend, we will still be working to ensure we can continue to provide an environment for everyone to enjoy themselves.

Regards,

Shane Brown

Communications Manager

Melbourne Cricket Club

So in essence the figure of 1.6m mentioned to the media is a complete fabrication (and what is it referring to? Width? Height? Area?) made up on the spot by an MCC spokesperson. I think that if we are to take this e-mail as an accurate representation of their policy then we can safely say that at least one banner was taken down without justification.

Well you've got to hand it to them for replying. On the other hand it is clear that under that stated policy none of the banners I saw were in breach. We know that bigger ones are often held up when some teams score a goal. NOONE was sitting near the banner which quoted $cully's words about checking facilities. So noone's view could be impeded.

The AFL should complain to MCC about harrassment of their customers! Fat chance....

NOONE was sitting near the banner which quoted $cully's words about checking facilities. So noone's view could be impeded.

Actually, I was sitting directly behind it and couldn't see the ground.

However I was pissing myself laughing so I couldn't have cared less.

I have seen it before though where they have referred to banner size being an issue - actually it was in regards to flags to prohibit people from bringing enormous flags into the ground. Pretty are there is something as you walk into the ground referring to it in the conditions of entry.

Actually, I was sitting directly behind it and couldn't see the ground.

However I was pissing myself laughing so I couldn't have cared less.

I only saw the TV images and there seemed to be a lot of vacant seats around the guys with the banner. Are we talking about the same one?

I only saw the TV images and there seemed to be a lot of vacant seats around the guys with the banner. Are we talking about the same one?

"I haven't (signed) Just going up to have a look. $cully"

See my response in the other thread : AFL Thought Police.

I was sitting two rows behind the guy who brought this banner. Had a chat to him and he hadn't heard of the discussion about banners on this board.

Seemed like a nice, genuine Melbourne supporter who wanted to have his chance to tell Scully what he thought of him in a public forum.

There were some dirty looks from the GWS camp when they turned around and saw it.

All credit to him he made a banner that wasn't offensive and was then respectful of the security guard asking him to take it down.

Edited by Robot Devil

Yeah, OK pretty typical standardized communications manager type response, but it still doesn't explain about the harassment of the guy with the money pinned to his suit. How is that using discretion, common sense or judgement???

I remember there was a banner competition held a few years ago at the MCG, and that the club specifically gave supporters dimensions (I think it was the 1.6m that the media spoke of?) to make sure no one couldn't have their banner seen.

It's a shame they didn't re-iterate the "rules" before the GWS game. Really, if they are to have regulations on banners then they should be more publicly available.

Ours was confiscated at the door because it had 'sharp' bits. As in the wood we used to hold it up had sharp ends

I was told to take off my horns once because they might hurt somebody. Go figure....