Jason Akermanis comments

Indeed

First post after being an observer for a long time.

Travelled from Adelaide for the Tribute game - had to go to acknowledge the contributions of a truly remarkable man - and was impressed with the pre game presentations. He will be greaty missed.

Jason Akermanis made some comments on our current situation as a part of a radio interview over here tonight. He is not sure if Neeld can actually coach - and claims to have spoken to a close friend who played for the Bulldogs against us on Sunday who thought the Bulldogs played really poorly despite the win, but that we were rubbish and consequently the Bulldogs were very disappointed with their performance. Yes, I know it is Aka, but he does raise some interesting points, many of which have been raised before. The Link is attached - his reference to Melbourne is approx 6 min 30 secs into the interview.

http://www.fiveaa.co...swan-fat_104753

We were Rubbish in last weekends game, apart from 15 minutes in the 3rd Quarter, at which time we blew the Westies to the absolute Shizen.

The Team is just not fit enough...Remarkably similar to Round 2 2011 2nd Q...

Neeld can coach i have no doubt..He saw the spark ignite in that 15 minutes.

Does Acker have any close friends at the Dogs????

'Jason Akermanis, the legend, spoke about all the biggest issues of the week, including is Dane Swan fat? Harry O's return to form. Is David King ever right? Melbourne's struggles. Essendon's form and Anzac Day.'

From 5aa website. The more we listen, the more he talks. Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the advertising logos go crazy.

"just don't look, just don't look"

Edited by mrtwister
  • Like 1

First post after being an observer for a long time.

Travelled from Adelaide for the Tribute game - had to go to acknowledge the contributions of a truly remarkable man - and was impressed with the pre game presentations. He will be greaty missed.

Jason Akermanis made some comments on our current situation as a part of a radio interview over here tonight. He is not sure if Neeld can actually coach - and claims to have spoken to a close friend who played for the Bulldogs against us on Sunday who thought the Bulldogs played really poorly despite the win, but that we were rubbish and consequently the Bulldogs were very disappointed with their performance. Yes, I know it is Aka, but he does raise some interesting points, many of which have been raised before. The Link is attached - his reference to Melbourne is approx 6 min 30 secs into the interview.

http://www.fiveaa.co...swan-fat_104753

Aka's other job is writing true stories for Heartbalm - he makes these comments to try and find relevance in his life.

He's so tragically sad.

Just proves that he really has done his dash in Melbourne as far as radio goes.

Silly little man.

We were Rubbish in last weekends game, apart from 15 minutes in the 3rd Quarter, at which time we blew the Westies to the absolute Shizen.

Does Aker have any close friends ANYWHERE??

Other than the Neeld comment, because, how would he know, I see nothing wrong with his remarks. The Bulldogs were utterly hopeless. We we worse. They are in for a long season. Us longer.

I estimate that our season will take the same length of time as theirs .

Our perception of the passing of this time may vary.

• Like 1

Can any body tell me why we are not fit enough? Whats going on in the training department Hardest preseason ever was reported i just dont understand

Can any body tell me why we are not fit enough? Whats going on in the training department Hardest preseason ever was reported i just dont understand

It takes young bodies 3=4 hard preseasons to reach peak AFL fitness, not one. Their loads are managed accordingly.

• Like 1

Not fit enough? So why were so fit in 2010 & not in 2012?

There were a lot of players out there who have been around for some time.

Some people say we drafted athletes but were not fit enough, some say we are too young and have too many young skinny kids, but still there werent many of them out there on Saturday.

All I read on this site is people searching for the best excuses, but in reality all that is wrong is our players are overrated and just not good enough. The constant dribble and ego maniac war on here is out of control.

Everyone get used to the fact, with this list we aren't going anywhere. The so called gun coaching group will get them to be average triers and that's it. Ultimate cleanout needed if we are serious, from CEO down, remove the deadwood.

Not fit enough? So why were so fit in 2010 & not in 2012?

There were a lot of players out there who have been around for some time.

Some people say we drafted athletes but were not fit enough, some say we are too young and have too many young skinny kids, but still there werent many of them out there on Saturday.

All I read on this site is people searching for the best excuses, but in reality all that is wrong is our players are overrated and just not good enough. The constant dribble and ego maniac war on here is out of control.

Everyone get used to the fact, with this list we aren't going anywhere. The so called gun coaching group will get them to be average triers and that's it. Ultimate cleanout needed if we are serious, from CEO down, remove the deadwood.

It's hardly the board's fault that the players aren't performing. The club is in the best financial position it has been in in years. We have some of the best facilities in the AFL.

The main reason that we aren't doing well is because we aren't fit enough through the midfield. All of our midfielders, bar Jones, have missed significant amounts of football over the course of the past 12 months. Moloney missed round 2 & 3 and when he came back in he made an immediate difference to our midfield. Bate barely played AFL last year. McKenzie missed the majority of the preseason. Trengove had injuries interrupt his preseason. This is Magner's first season in the AFL. Sylvia still hasn't played due to his back injury. As a result of this we are being forced to play other players in the midfield who are not naturally midfielders (Garland, Watts, Howe).

The reason we were better in 2010 than we are now is because we had senior players who actually played like they deserved to be on an AFL list. Davey, Bruce, Green, McDonald, even Brad Miller at times provided leadership for our younger players. They did things that would lift the team around them. We had an exciting young list that included the likes of Scully, Trengove, Watts, Frawley, Grimes, Gawn, Gysberts Jurrah...the list goes on. Since 2010, though, Bruce has departed, McDonald and Miller got the sack, and Davey and Green look like they're past it. Scully is the only young 'gun' to leave, so we essentially have same young players and no senior leadership. Was sacking McDonald the right thing to do? Who knows. He was in and out of the side in his last year with injuries, and perhaps he needed a year off to let his body recuperate. How was the board to know Bruce would walk? How was the board to know Green and Davey would fall off the face of the earth?

Last year it was evident that our rebuild was struggling and our senior players were not stepping up to fill their roles. Because of this, the board stepped in and sacked Bailey to bring in a new coach with a new vision. He has had four games.

Don't blame the CEO for problems that exist on the field. It is in the players' and coaches' hands as to what happens on gameday, not Cam Schwab's.

Give Neeld a chance to instil the attitudes and behaviours in our players that they need in order to be successful AFL players. Sacking Cam Schwab will win us a premiership.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic; Jason Akermanis sucks.

Edited by Good Times Grimes
  • Like 1

The main reason that we aren't doing well is because we aren't fit enough through the midfield.

Maybe the reason is we're just not good enough through the midfield. With all due respect to players like Moloney, Bate and Jones, they really should be the 5th or 6th best midfielders, not the ones we rely on every week (please don't take that as meaning I don't like what they do and how hard they try).

The young players we were hoping to build a good midfield group around are just not there: Scully's gone; Blease, Gysberts, Grimes, Strauss, Tapscott and Jetta hardly get on the field, Bennell doesn't go, Morton's too light, Trengove is still learning. Now we're trying to cobble together a midfield by using Howe and Watts, who really should be on the end of leads provided by the others.

• Like 3

Maybe the reason is we're just not good enough through the midfield. With all due respect to players like Moloney, Bate and Jones, they really should be the 5th or 6th best midfielders, not the ones we rely on every week (please don't take that as meaning I don't like what they do and how hard they try).

The young players we were hoping to build a good midfield group around are just not there: Scully's gone; Blease, Gysberts, Grimes, Strauss, Tapscott and Jetta hardly get on the field, Bennell doesn't go, Morton's too light, Trengove is still learning. Now we're trying to cobble together a midfield by using Howe and Watts, who really should be on the end of leads provided by the others.

Exactly my point maurie.

You're right, our midfield isn't good enough. The point I was trying to make though is that it is not the CEOs fault. It is not his job to recruit, develop, motivate and monitor players.

I think it's unfair for you to say Trengove is still learning while writing off Blease, Gysberts, Strauss and Tapscott. They were all drafted either in the same year or a year apart from each other and they are ALL still learning. I think the new coach will be able to help move these players along much faster and to heights that Bailey never would have. That being said, something needs to be done about our current midfield. If we recruit a gun midfielder or 3 at the draft they won't be stars right away. It'll take time to develop them and turn them into good AFL players. That is why we can't give up on the players you suggested.

I think it's unfair for you to say Trengove is still learning while writing off Blease, Gysberts, Strauss and Tapscott.

I didn't write them off. I just said they hardly get to play (and hence their development and learning is not great).

You're right, our midfield isn't good enough. The point I was trying to make though is that it is not the CEOs fault. It is not his job to recruit, develop, motivate and monitor players.

I think it's unfair for you to say Trengove is still learning while writing off Blease, Gysberts, Strauss and Tapscott. They were all drafted either in the same year or a year apart from each other and they are ALL still learning. I think the new coach will be able to help move these players along much faster and to heights that Bailey never would have. That being said, something needs to be done about our current midfield. If we recruit a gun midfielder or 3 at the draft they won't be stars right away. It'll take time to develop them and turn them into good AFL players. That is why we can't give up on the players you suggested.

Thats the problem he has had way too much involvement in the recruiting. Much like he did at Freo, just ask some of their members. Hes done the same here. Although he probably wont from now onwards.

Dont take this the wrong way!!

I dont blame the board at all for anything. Yes we all know things are going great off the field, I didnt say they werent. The problem isnt that our midfield isnt fit enough, its because we dont have a midfield at all!!! Relying on blokes like you mentioned in Bate, McKenzie, Magner & Moloney (Bomb it long) to lead our midfield just typifies where we are at, this is poor list management because the players we have got arent good enough to lead our midfield. Personally I think Gysberts will be a very good player & I feel sorry for Trengove who has been thrown in the deep end far too young. I know Jack well and played footy with him growing up, he will be a good player no doubt, a star - Im not too sure, but I do feel sorry for him, potential leader - yes, leader now - no.

Sylvia & Morton have showed glimpses, against poor opposition, but would any other club have persisted this long with perceived talent? Garland into the midfield? When did this happen? I havent seen every minute of every game so Im not sure and he hasnt mentioned it to me either. Even Col was drafted as a full forward, snagging 10 on debut for North Hobart.

Yes I know about leadership and Im sick of hearing it, leaders move on and new leaders should take place, but they didnt because they are all lazy. Was sacking McDonald the right thing to do? Hard to say, he was getting a few injuries, I would of kept him at the club as some mentoring role however they chose not to. How was the board to know Bruce would walk? I thought he made it pretty obvious. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Personally I didnt think Green done too bad last year, he kicked inaccurately, if he had of kicked straight like he normally does he wouldve had 50 goals and no one would of mentioned him. Davey on the other hand had a shocker. I dont want to gloat but I know for a fact that somebody high up had a big say in the removal of McDonald, Robertson, Bruce, Miller etc, funny how our senior players since then have gone walkabouts. I can assure you that there is deeper happenings at MFC than you think and it starts at the top, think back to the week leading into 186. You may not think that the CEO might not affect our onfield performance, but there are still some unhappy campers. That is why there is a cleanout needed, whether it be at the top or those players removed.

This is exactly why i hate coming on here as I want to tell you all the truth but cant fully because of all the bull$hit and ramifications!!

All the best anyway.

PS: Aker - great career, yes you were right this time - now STFU.

You raise some good points, but I find it hard to believe that players like Davey and Green would stop trying and risk their careers just to prove a point to the board. I think the end of this season will bring quite a large list overhaul starting with some of our senior players. I can't see Davey or Green playing a part in our future unless they can recapture their pre-2010 form, which I think is unlikely. By doing this we still won't solve our leadership problem, and that is why I think that during the trade period we really need to target some mature players to fill the void that we are missing.

It sounds like you know a lot more about the scenes that caused 186 than I do, but I still think CS is a vital part of the MFC. Maybe if I knew what you did, I would have a different point of view.

Also, Garland was thrown into the midfield against the dogs for a little while. He actually didn't do too badly.

FU Aker.

• Like 1

You raise some good points, but I find it hard to believe that players like Davey and Green would stop trying and risk their careers just to prove a point to the board. I think the end of this season will bring quite a large list overhaul starting with some of our senior players. I can't see Davey or Green playing a part in our future unless they can recapture their pre-2010 form, which I think is unlikely. By doing this we still won't solve our leadership problem, and that is why I think that during the trade period we really need to target some mature players to fill the void that we are missing.

It sounds like you know a lot more about the scenes that caused 186 than I do, but I still think CS is a vital part of the MFC. Maybe if I knew what you did, I would have a different point of view.

Also, Garland was thrown into the midfield against the dogs for a little while. He actually didn't do too badly.

FU Aker.

Im going to shut up now as everytime someone mentions the truth on here it gets deleted!! All the best.