MFC - Where are we honestly at

Hells Gates

Guest Dr Who

1996 -Melbourne members vote in favour of merging with Hawthorn 4,679 to 4,229. Hawthorn members overwhelmingly vote it down led by Don Scott 5,241 to 2,841. Whats the point of this ? That Melbourne members voted thier own club out of existence. What type of club culture does that set......

The culture can change again but takes EVERYBODY to change it, Board, Administration, Coaches, Players and Supporters.

Nice post

What type of club culture does that ...... A negative, pessimistic, impatient culture that still resides with many around today. Your "culture" is a direct reflection of your supporter base.

• Like 1

Now, in the light of Day,,, have another Look at these stats, with a view of looking For the Defensive minded Stats as a Priority. = that we went to practice our defence as a priority.

Then check for tackles etc,,, If we get good Kicks & marks as well on top then thats good.

http://live.fanfooty...s2.html?id=3938

55 tackles to 48. Thats always going to happen when the majority of the time the opposition has possesion of the footy.

However my concern still ls the fact that our skills are dredful. Apart from Watts, Jurrah & Tapscott there arent to many great kicks in our side.

A demoralised one that doesn't know where to turn next. Looking for a Good Shepherd. One without Self Belief.

The thing is Jim Stynes set the culture change in motion, now its time everyone involved with the MFC ensures its carried thru. Hard decisions need to be continually made, players need to demand the best of thier teammates, admistration has to ensure the club continually takes steps forward financially and facillities are always top tier, supporters of the club need to become members. To be the best you have to demand the best.

I miss the likes of, Stynes, Wight, Viney, Flower, Hughes, Grinter, B & G Lovett. Because they wore thier hearts on thier sleeve gaver thier all and didnt hurt that a few of them struck fear into opponents. I want some of the current crop of players to show more of these characteristics.

• Like 2

Nice post

What type of club culture does that ...... A negative, pessimistic, impatient culture that still resides with many around today. Your "culture" is a direct reflection of your supporter base.

Im very optimistic but Im also a realist. Culture with change with success, even if its winning NAB cup games. I can certainly understand the heartbreak of some of the older generation, alot probably on here, I respect the fact they are impatient. You cant blame them for being disgruntled, but Im sure they would agree that at least we are heading in the right direction off field. Its the on field effort and execution that is the problem.

The thing is Jim Stynes set the culture change in motion, now its time everyone involved with the MFC ensures its carried thru. Hard decisions need to be continually made, players need to demand the best of thier teammates, admistration has to ensure the club continually takes steps forward financially and facillities are always top tier, supporters of the club need to become members. To be the best you have to demand the best.

I miss the likes of, Stynes, Wight, Viney, Flower, Hughes, Grinter, B & G Lovett. Because they wore thier hearts on thier sleeve gaver thier all and didnt hurt that a few of them struck fear into opponents. I want some of the current crop of players to show more of these characteristics.

Spot on.

55 tackles to 48. Thats always going to happen when the majority of the time the opposition has possesion of the footy.

However my concern still ls the fact that our skills are dredful. Apart from Watts, Jurrah & Tapscott there arent to many great kicks in our side.

Of course, especially IF you allow them have the ball, choosing to work on your defensive positioning & structures, after dominating the Hitouts, ?

Go with me just for a second. IF, you were coach & wanted to get some Real work on the Defensive setups that are a bit weak. How better to do it than in a real game, against real opposition, out of town, in a game not being televised???

Yep, your right & I will.

And I too Miss that group, & the courage missing in todays world to be Open & Honest & say what you mean Openly & Honestly. I'm proud to have been around when that group were representatives of our club.

Im very optimistic but Im also a realist. Culture with change with success, even if its winning NAB cup games. I can certainly understand the heartbreak of some of the older generation, alot probably on here, I respect the fact they are impatient. You cant blame them for being disgruntled, but Im sure they would agree that at least we are heading in the right direction off field. Its the on field effort and execution that is the problem.

A strong Culture breeds Success.

You can't have lasting success without a strong culture. > see Baraasi: He spent 5 hard Years growing this very thing, & we reaped 5 great years from it.

• Like 1

You can't have lasting success without a strong culture. > see Baraasi: He spent 5 hard Years growing this very thing, & we reaped 5 great years from it.

No...we almost had 5 great years.

It still wasn't good enough...that is our problem...Nobody But Mark Neeld knows anything about Modern day premierships.

1996 -Melbourne members vote in favour of merging with Hawthorn 4,679 to 4,229. Hawthorn members overwhelmingly vote it down led by Don Scott 5,241 to 2,841. Whats the point of this ? That Melbourne members voted thier own club out of existence. What type of club culture does that set......

The culture can change again but takes EVERYBODY to change it, Board, Administration, Coaches, Players and Supporters.

Nice post

You 2 need to get your facts straight . You need to brush up on your history please .

It wasn't the rank and file member that voted for the merger . It was Ian Ridley and his 12 person committee with their 3,500 proxy votes that got the vote through . Plus they then booked a small venue where many couldn't get in to vote . 80 - 90% of the people at the Dallas Brooks Hall that night were against the merger .

I can understand people wanting to vent this morning but for goodness sakes it was a practice match .

Cheers

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3

No...we almost had 5 great years.

It still wasn't good enough...that is our problem...Nobody But Mark Neeld knows anything about Modern day premierships.

What?

Premierships WYL, will be won as they always have been, on Hardwork, guts, discipline, daring & great judgement.

changes in tactics are minor to these things, window dressing.

Of course, especially IF you allow them have the ball, choosing to work on your defensive positioning & structures, after dominating the Hitouts, ?

Go with me just for a second. IF, you were coach & wanted to get some Real work on the Defensive setups that are a bit weak. How better to do it than in a real game, against real opposition, out of town, in a game not being televised???

Would have thought our defence had had enough practise in recent years.... Besides that, wouldn't our totally new forward setup need some practise too?

Think you're on the right path at talking about us trialling things, but to suggest we deliberately give the opposition the ball to practise our defence is flat out silly.

You 2 need to get your facts straight .

It wasn't the rank and file member that voted for the merger . It was Ian Ridley and his 12 person committee with their 3,500 proxy votes that got the vote through . Plus they then booked a small venue where many couldn't get in to vote . 80 - 90% of the people at the Dallas Brooks Hall that night were against the merger .

I can understand people wanting to vent this morning but for goodness sakes it was a practice match .

Wait for the season proper and brush up on your history please .

Cheers

And I didn't vote either.

The most important factor in determining any club's culture is its leadership group. It's little wonder ours was turned on its ears.

It can and will change.

I have no doubt, Geelong did it.

They were the "Hand bags" for decades....a mantle it seems we have now been given

But where it comes from i have no idea....But i expect to be suprised.

• Like 1

Yeah mate I agree, Im not going against you at all. Perfect time to do it without coverage but winning culture is a good one and the effort and disposal efficiency for me was disappointing thats all.

I cant comment on Barassi as I wasnt old enough to see it all unfold but its always good to hear what happened, keep those kinda stories coming. :)

What? Premierships WYL, will be won as they always have been, on Hardwork, guts, discipline, daring & great judgement. changes in tactics are minor to these things, window dressing.

Yes, why would i disagree to that.

Mark Neeld was part of a premiership in 2010, and very close last year.

When the MFC was cutting edge the EH Holden was in the showrooms of GMH.

Would have thought our defence had had enough practise in recent years.... Besides that, wouldn't our totally new forward setup need some practise too?

Think you're on the right path at talking about us trialling things, but to suggest we deliberately give the opposition the ball to practise our defence is flat out silly.

Yes, but when your whole structure starts from your defence, & turnovers, then thats the basic place, to start to perfect. You don't start from the 3rd qtr.

Yeah mate I agree, Im not going against you at all. Perfect time to do it without coverage but winning culture is a good one and the effort and disposal efficiency for me was disappointing thats all.

Yes but Nab cup isn't winning, only in diehard supporters eyes. Nabcup is learning & practice. thats why we play so many youngsters early, or for a team like us, we practice the New structures.

• Like 1

Yes but Nab cup isn't winning, only in diehard supporters eyes. Nabcup is learning & practice. thats why we play so many youngsters early, or for a team like us, we practice the New structures.

Mmmm. I suggest to watch the game if you can. If our game was based on defence as you say then why did we give away so many goals and possession to the opposition? We flooded their forward line and it still rained goals. Our disposal is woeful.

2 classic Demon games in the past 2 weeks.

1. The Smashing - We get the crap belted out of us. We have no leadership and none of the players seem to give a damn that we are getting embarrassed as a club. No one steps up to lead the team, the senior players simply give up. No matter what the coach says, they can't shake out of it.

2. The 1st Quarter loss - We don't turn up switched on. We get smashed in the first quarter and finally kick into gear in the second term, only for it to be all too late as the damage has already been done.

These 2 types of games have been trademark Bailey era games.

It will be interesting to see how Neeld will respond to this crap.

Spot on, but you forgot one:

3. The false dawn: team plays accountable, hard fought footy and provides a stirring enough performance to get the fans excited that we may have finally turned the corner. Funny how these games often happen against the Pies.

I now await

4. The "media bake inspired rebound win". Too bad we have to wait 2 weeks for Rd 1 as I'm sure if it was this coming weekend, the intense media scrutiny would have fired us right up for a good showing against the Lions. Not so sure it will last for two whole weeks though.

Edited by leucopogon

I cant comment on Barassi as I wasnt old enough to see it all unfold but its always good to hear what happened, keep those kinda stories coming. :)

He is/was the Best.

and after he left Us,, he ended up at the Basket case called the Swans to turn them around. The lessons he learned thru coaching us as easybeats, I have no doubt helped him put the Swans straight.

The only regret I have is that we didn't get a coach like Northey to do the rebuild with Jordan, then put on Barassi to finish the Job. We got it Ass about again.. Our lack of knowledge again. But know were on the right track, but everyone is scared & panicking.

It'll take us another 2.5 years to become a top 6 or 7 side...

We did the right thing with Bailey building the List, even with the lacking player development, until now...

Now we have the teaching coach to crack the hard work Whip. and maybe he can also put the finishing touches as well... Time will tell, but Nothing is wasted.

Mmmm. I suggest to watch the game if you can. If our game was based on defence as you say then why did we give away so many goals and possession to the opposition? We flooded their forward line and it still rained goals. Our disposal is woeful.

I don't know, but I think out of the square when trying to teach difficult customers.

This is the sort of thing I would do, practice the defence & let them have the pill. and rebound.

Muhammad Ali, rope a dope!!!

I don't know, but I think out of the square when trying to teach difficult customers.

This is the sort of thing I would do, practice the defence & let them have the pill. and rebound.

Muhammad Ali, rope a dope!!!

Yeah dee-luded, but Ali ended up landing a knock-out blow with that tactic. Where's ours?