Ronald Dale Barassi leaves the Dees for Carlton

nutbean

Ron Barassi was taken in and treated like a son by the Smith family in the 50s after Ron's dad died in WW II. After Norm was terribly treated by the MFC in 1965 it was hardly surprising that Ron left the club shortly after. I don't think it was a $cully $ issue. It was surprising to me that he came back.

Correct me if I am wrong but my recollection is that RDB left at the end of 1964 season, and that the Great Norm Smith was "terribly treated" the following season.

Rumours had it that at least part of the "problem" with the Great Coach (from the club administration's point of view) was that he gave at least tacit support, or was seen not to have fought against the amazing player and man who was his defacto stepson, RDB moving to Carlscum.

I am not sure if the real truth behind the sacking will ever come out: the real truth however (at least in part) of the effect is that we have gone nearly half a century without another flag, and that is a disgrace. It also destroyed Smith.

I think that I am right in saying that he was involved either as a player or coach in all but 2 of our premierships! Not a bad feat.

I recall one match at Princes Park at the end of Barassi's career..I used to sit with the Melbourne cheer squad in those days. I recall Barass playing around the backline that day in front of us behind the goals. The Cheer Squad from memory treated him with great respect. It was more just absolute sadness on our part at him playing against us ..no anger or bitterness..just immense sadness at losing him and what was happening to our team.

Ron Barassi was taken in and treated like a son by the Smith family in the 50s after Ron's dad died in WW II. After Norm was terribly treated by the MFC in 1965 it was hardly surprising that Ron left the club shortly after. I don't think it was a $cully $ issue. It was surprising to me that he came back.

RDB has recently said publically, that his heart lies with the red and the blue. Its a shame he left and was so successful at 3 other clubs. Otherwise he would have been remembered as a demon only. Just like Teddy Whitten will be remembered as a bulldog and a big V man!!

Not long before Barass left us I wrote to him at the club. As a boy we often didn't have many spare $ (or pounds in those days). I only ever had one football which I lost somehow and had to wait several years to buy an old one at the end of its life from my school when they were having a clean out.In the meantime our football at home was a round rubber ball!

I was desperate for a football jumper..hence I wrote to RDB asking if I could have one of his spare ones! He wrote back with a note saying "Sorry no jumper Tim..perhaps this will help" He sent an autographed photo of himself..possibly the one as my avatar I think. Great bloke and champ.

Edited by 3031

RDB had lead in his pencil. That other whatshisname has jelly in his

knees.

Great analogy for RDB Jackie! Its spot on! For some reason it sounds much more effective than ink in one's pen! :)

Edited by 3031

I recall one match at Princes Park at the end of Barassi's career..I used to sit with the Melbourne cheer squad in those days. I recall Barass playing around the backline that day in front of us behind the goals. The Cheer Squad from memory treated him with great respect. It was more just absolute sadness on our part at him playing against us ..no anger or bitterness..just immense sadness at losing him and what was happening to our team.

This will not be the case AT ALL in Round 13 2012...i will bet both my left and right one on that!!!

Great analogy for RDB Jackie! Its spot on! For some reason it sounds much more effective than ink in one's pen! :)

?....or toner in one's cartridge ?

Correct me if I am wrong but my recollection is that RDB left at the end of 1964 season, and that the Great Norm Smith was "terribly treated" the following season.

Rumours had it that at least part of the "problem" with the Great Coach (from the club administration's point of view) was that he gave at least tacit support, or was seen not to have fought against the amazing player and man who was his defacto stepson, RDB moving to Carlscum.

I am not sure if the real truth behind the sacking will ever come out: the real truth however (at least in part) of the effect is that we have gone nearly half a century without another flag, and that is a disgrace. It also destroyed Smith.

I think that I am right in saying that he was involved either as a player or coach in all but 2 of our premierships! Not a bad feat.

Yep thats my recollection too monoccular. I think we won the first 8 games of 1965 and it looked like we might survive without Barass. Then I recall two thrashings..one by St Kilda and one by Essendon..both at the MCG which I saw...I couldnt believe that could ever happen to Melbourne.. and we didnt win many games after that and missed the finals...and '66 was a disaster.

Edited by 3031

Yes he did WYL..made a great roving combo with Kenny Emselle. Top rover and great goalgetter....and he wasn't a big bloke..wouldn't mind checking his height and weight stats..fairly light from memory..but skilled! Got a bad knee injury a couple of years later ..in the Exhibiton games overseas against Geelong perhaps??..not quite sure...made a good come back but from memory never quite reached his best again..great Demon player!

Yes he did WYL..made a great roving combo with Kenny Emselle. Top rover and great goalgetter....and he wasn't a big bloke..wouldn't mind checking his height and weight stats..fairly light from memory..but skilled! Got a bad knee injury a couple of years later ..in the Exhibiton games overseas against Geelong perhaps??..not quite sure...made a good come back but from memory never quite reached his best again..great Demon player!

He was playing in the early 70's when i first saw the Demons...71 onwards.

Good he was able to get a reasonably long career after such a major injury..moved to Prahran for a couple of years after he left the Dees from memory. I think I saw him play there with Donny Williams, another Demon great.

Sorry mate, but your dad is a hard marker! Barassi was a champion in all areas of the game. Skill, Guts, Determination, Courage, Team spirit, Leader, Match Winner. He had it all. Best I've ever seen and I didn't miss a match during his playing days. It's a real shame we don't have much footage available showing what a great he was.

Agreed, was a tough, ruthless, fearless bull, with excellent skills and reasonable pace. Would take them all on.The best MFC player I have ever seen for sure. Ripped my heart out as a 14 year old when he left though.

Mine too Docket 32..It still hurts today to think of it..I'm glad he did come back as a coach and still feels he is "Red and Blue". I was14 too..were you born in 1950 too?

Sadly!

"Twas a very good year!" :) Vintage year in fact!

I do have one memory of Barass at a game. You might even have seen this..when he led the team onto the field at the G one day, he turned around and did a couple of kneee jumps or somthing as the other players came out of the race? He did that often from memory.

This particular day he tripped and injured himself and couldn'tplay. I was so disappointed..and we were down to 19 men. Can't remember if we won that one..probably though..cant remember too many losses at th G in those days!

Edited by 3031

Actually Norm Smith encouraged Ron to take up the postion at Carlton. It may be in his book which I will buy shortly. I took my two young boys to watch Ron play his last game at Princes Pk.against whom I forget. He left the ground some time in the last quarter from memory to a generous round of applause from all supporters. My young boys wore nos 9 [brian Dixon ] and 31 on their hand knitted footy jumpers Now in their 50s they still remember the occasion

Actually Norm Smith encouraged Ron to take up the postion at Carlton. It may be in his book which I will buy shortly. I took my two young boys to watch Ron play his last game at Princes Pk.against whom I forget. He left the ground some time in the last quarter from memory to a generous round of applause from all supporters. My young boys wore nos 9 [brian Dixon ] and 31 on their hand knitted footy jumpers Now in their 50s they still remember the occasion

Always wondered what RDB thought about playing against Melbourne. Not his media grabs, but what his head space was deep down. Must have been very difficult.

How about the Norm Smith masterstroke the first time Melbourne played against Barassi? Waited for RDB and team to charge out of the sheds all pumped up and then kept his team inside to make them wait, and wait, and wait until the umpires had to go in and order the Melbourne players out.

We won and all was right with the world but it was the last of our eight game winning streak to start the season and all downhill from there

Guest Gotzy15

Never saw RDB play as I'm only 23 but it sounds as though he was a great servant of our club and gave our fans lots of wonderful memories (who doesn't love a premiership captain of their club?)

On the other hand $cully gave us bugger all. It still angers me to think that he mislead Stynes and Lyon and played 'bruise free footy' for most of the year. He's a lying little turd with a lump of lard for a father and I can't wait for Rd 13 2012.