LOVE STORY

Demonland

I've said it before (and been howled down), but the handling of James McDonald's 'retirement' last year was an absolute disaster for this club. In my opinion the effects of it are still evident.

I didn't expect to win today, but bloody hell - I am absolutely numb having watched that game. And I thought last week was bad. It is now abundantly clear - we are a mile off the top teams.

We need to get Malthouse asap. Desperately.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally unacceptable.

Doesn't matter all the arguments over whose fault it is or isn't, simply changes have got to be made urgently. And just hope some of them lead to major improvements in whatever is wrong.

On today's performance, this is one of the softest VFL/AFL teams ever. Defensive pressure? Joke.

Guess Scully is now gone, why stay amongst such shambles.

Only point of interest left for me, as Moloney got zero dreamteam points, does my emergency midfielder come into play?

If only I didn't have this passion for such a disgraceful footy club.

(and if Moloney was unwell as some suggest, what was he doing in the side? you're either there and ready and able to give 100+%, or you don't take the place of someone else who is)

i think it's wrong to try and justify this kind of performance no matter how good the cats were, so i'll not try.

make no mistake about it, given the talent at hand this was the worst performance of any team in my lifetime, and i would safely assume it was the worst ever.

you find out alot about some players at times like these and a few became very obvious; James Strauss is not an A.F.L standard footballer, Colin Garland is as soft as Cale Morton and has no appetite for the contest at all. Jared Rivers stood up under an avalanche, and Jack Watts continued to put in. People who are not fans of Linden Dunn probably hated what he did to Chapman......i loved it, at least he did something......anything.

We are a terribly reactive side, we start games with no vigor at all.....it's predictable. our pressure and intensity are putrid, as is our overall hardness. We will have a new coach next year.

Carlton must be regretting calling us soft right now.......look out Blues....YOU'RE NEXT!!!!

I've said it before (and been howled down), but the handling of James McDonald's 'retirement' last year was an absolute disaster for this club. In my opinion the effects of it are still evident.

I didn't expect to win today, but bloody hell - I am absolutely numb having watched that game. And I thought last week was bad. It is now abundantly clear - we are a mile off the top teams.

We need to get Malthouse asap. Desperately.

I stil think the Jnr thing has absolutely nothing to do with today...and should it have , then we're really in the mire deeper thanis imaginable. We wont get Malthouse.. hell we wont get Struachnie or anyone will self respect after today.

There need to be some serious souls searching down at teh MFC...and heads need to roll.

Somehwere on oanother thread a few of us suggested there were symtons of great unease in the R and B camp and itts just bizarre that it would come to such a head in such a manner.

Somethign very wrong is afflicinting the club. Im certain , in my mind at least its not the Jnr thing. I dont think the TS song and dance has helped anytinng but such a collapse as today points to somethign even more prevalent and deep rooted.

We really ought not have been that bad today..

If Viney isn't installed as interim coach on Monday the supporters are being treated with contempt. How can Bailey lose by this amount and still want to push on? the club has been playing below potential for two years - i want to see some passion and someone waving the flag not these pathetic serial smashings at away grounds culminating in the mother of all smashing today. if the result doesn't ring alarm bells for the administration then we are in for a sorry, sorry time for the remaining games. we will not win one game if today's standard is maintained.

The thing that makes me sick in all of this was all the people slagging off Danners when he finally got the chop, and the amount of spin we've had to put up with for four years.

It's like a lucid drug haze. There is no truth, just we're moving forward, like we've all been gassed with a mind-altering substance.

Our footy team is [censored]. All our coaches are [censored], and our senior players like Sylvia and Moloney are actually decent B grade players and would be playing better with Junior by their side and a different coach.

THe only footy players I like at this club anymore are Jordie and Rohan Bail.

We are at our lowest ebb since 2008.

Can someone tell me why you wouldn't FLOOD the defence to limit the scoring. This should have done after quarter time.

We were flooding the defence with Jurrah and Watts at the 5 minute mark of the first quarter.

I was there in 1979 when Fitzroy beat us by 190 points and I saw more fight from the team than I did today. Today's performance is the worst I've seen in 55 years of watching this once great club.

They are not a TEAM. When Dunn and Chapman went at it, most of the Geelong team r4an in to support their teammate - not one Melbourne player ran in to support theirs. His mustache isn't that bad, is it?

Something is rotten at the MFC!

this stinking loss is just one more insult to the colours. woe is me, i remember being depressed as a ten year old suffering the 1966 season and three wins. it's been a long-time of heartaches, one year after a pathetic 'nother. the god-awful last quarter choke ag. hawthorn in 87 shows even when we're hot we don't expect greatness.

the list is much better than the results being shown... the climate of expectation created out of tanking (i know other teams have done it) has hobbled us we think an elevator ride will take us automatically to the next level. i fear the ugliness of losing on the hallowed ground to gold coast if the present set-up stays in place. because that's what will happen.

I stil think the Jnr thing has absolutely nothing to do with today...and should it have , then we're really in the mire deeper thanis imaginable. We wont get Malthouse.. hell we wont get Struachnie or anyone will self respect after today.

There need to be some serious souls searching down at teh MFC...and heads need to roll.

Somehwere on oanother thread a few of us suggested there were symtons of great unease in the R and B camp and itts just bizarre that it would come to such a head in such a manner.

Somethign very wrong is afflicinting the club. Im certain , in my mind at least its not the Jnr thing. I dont think the TS song and dance has helped anytinng but such a collapse as today points to somethign even more prevalent and deep rooted.

We really ought not have been that bad today..

I think James McDonald's axing revealed a lot about our culture and perhaps also Bailey's flaws as a coach. I am not seeking to suggest that the reason we got beaten by a simply seismic margin today was due to McDonald's 'retirement' - rather I am suggesting that the issues surrounding the handling of that issue probably reveal much about our weaknesses in other areas as well.

Slicing your best clubman, particularly in the way Bailey carried it out, simply cannot have a positive impact on the other players. For a start, it suggests that loyalty is a one way street - this is not the way a top club operates. Virtually all of our other senior players that have retired in recent years seem to have an axe to grind with Bailey/the club. This is not a good sign - and Junior's axing seemed to highlight this more than any other. Junior aside, I am not suggesting any of those players should still be on the list - I am merely highlighting that Bailey seems to have a communication and man-management issue with the very players he needs to assist him in developing a sustainable, winning culture. Ultimately this has to impact on the team's on-field performance.

It's not all about white boards IMO - a team game requires really effective senior players who influence the culture, both on and off the field. In my observation, Bailey seems to focus too much on stats and the technical aspects, and too little on the intangibles, such as the effect certain players can have on the playing group and the development of a good club culture (eg, James McDonald). It perhaps also suggests that Bailey lacks judgement. In this regard, Bailey often appears doggedly determined to carry out a strategy, even in circumstances where the landscape has changed and that strategy may no longer be appropriate.

One sees it on match day, one sees it in our game plan and, unfortunately, it seems to come out in the way he has managed some of our more senior players. I would not be surprised if this, rather than the dough, is ultimately very influential in Scully's decision as to whether he stays or leaves. Time will tell. I think more will emerge on this very point by October/November this year.

I was there in 1979 when Fitzroy beat us by 190 points and I saw more fight from the team than I did today. Today's performance is the worst I've seen in 55 years of watching this once great club.

I've just spoken to Redleg who was MFC team manager in 1979 on the day we lost that game by 190 points. He thought today's game was worse.

I've invited him to do the match report from today's game and he's agreed.

He also wants everybody to be reminded that the week after that loss, Melbourne played Essendon and win fairly easily.

I'll leave it to him to tell his story but it might not be ready until late tomorrow or Monday.

Every player that wore the jumper today in battle now has nowhere to hide anymore. Its official, our list does not like a contest or any physicality. They are very badly coached and have zero leadership on and off field.

If anyone puts a positive spin on this...they are barking mad!!!

Messrs Stynes and the board and football dept must instill loads of time into getting HEART back into this club..I am ashamed to be a paid up member of this club.

I think James McDonald's axing revealed a lot about our culture and perhaps also Bailey's flaws as a coach. I am not seeking to suggest that the reason we got beaten by a simply seismic margin today was due to McDonald's 'retirement' - rather I am suggesting that the issues surrounding the handling of that issue probably reveal much about our weaknesses in other areas as well.

Slicing your best clubman, particularly in the way Bailey carried it out, simply cannot have a positive impact on the other players. For a start, it suggests that loyalty is a one way street - this is not the way a top club operates. Virtually all of our other senior players that have retired in recent years seem to have an axe to grind with Bailey/the club. This is not a good sign - and Junior's axing seemed to highlight this more than any other. Junior aside, I am not suggesting any of those players should still be on the list - I am merely highlighting that Bailey seems to have a communication and man-management issue with the very players he needs to assist him in developing a sustainable, winning culture. Ultimately this has to impact on the team's on-field performance.

It's not all about white boards IMO - a team game requires really effective senior players who influence the culture, both on and off the field. In my observation, Bailey seems to focus too much on stats and the technical aspects, and too little on the intangibles, such as the effect certain players can have on the playing group and the development of a good club culture (eg, James McDonald). It perhaps also suggests that Bailey lacks judgement. In this regard, Bailey often appears doggedly determined to carry out a strategy, even in circumstances where the landscape has changed and that strategy may no longer be appropriate.

One sees it on match day, one sees it in our game plan and, unfortunately, it seems to come out in the way he has managed some of our more senior players. I would not be surprised if this, rather than the dough, is ultimately very influential in Scully's decision as to whether he stays or leaves. Time will tell. I think more will emerge on this very point by October/November this year.

Fair points RB, but why would Dean do it if he could see so much negativity? I think our problems go much deeper than Junior Mac...

I am hoping this week finally brings them all out.

I also have been watching for more years than I care to remember. Today brought flashbacks of the really poor 1970's when our games were rarely telecast and Channel 7's World of Sport paid scant attention to Melbourne games. It's a sad day my friends when you get beaten by this amount in this era.

That photo of the scarf in the bin sums up how I feel. I will always be red and blue and will continue to go to games etc... but the fire in my belly was reduced to a pilot light today. I am sad for myself, angry at the players, furious at the coaching staff and disappointed for my fellow Dees supporters. I really thouight we would improve this year and aim for finals next year. Rethinking time.

I am waiting to see what Bailey says at the press conference.

It's about time Jimmy, Schwab, and Connolly stopped being so nice, and lead with some fire. Generally speaking I am not a fan of ranting club officials or knee jerk reactions but our club leaders have got to put a rocket through the footy department and players. I want someone in the club to express rage, not disappointment.

Brad Green is a great player but a poor captain.

Every player that wore the jumper today in battle now has nowhere to hide anymore. Its official, our list does not like a contest or any physicality. They are very badly coached and have zero leadership on and off field.

If anyone puts a positive spin on this...they are barking mad!!!

Messrs Stynes and the board and football dept must instill loads of time into getting HEART back into this club..I am ashamed to be a paid up member of this club.

TEAM?

I've just spoken to Redleg who was MFC team manager in 1979 on the day we lost that game by 190 points. He thought today's game was worse.

I've invited him to do the match report from today's game and he's agreed.

He also wants everybody to be reminded that the week after that loss, Melbourne played Essendon and win fairly easily.

He might also care to remember, we haven't won a flag in the interval spanning these two totally unacceptable huge losses.

Address the core of the problem, rather than applauding a meaningless win on the back of such a devastating loss. That attitude doesn't win premierships.

He might also care to remember, we haven't won a flag in the interval spanning these two totally unacceptable huge losses.

Address the core of the problem, rather than applauding a meaningless win on the back of such a devastating loss. That attitude doesn't win premierships.

Has he applauded anything yet?

you have an unfounded crack at a bloke who has done a damn sight more for the club than you. I hope it made you feel better.

I just got back from Geelong and have had some time to settle down but i'm still [censored] off.

What is up with Jack watts playing loose in defence? when Bailey said "on the couch" that he will be a key forward I would assume that would mean he would play forward. Is Jack Watts the first number 1 draft pick to ever be picked because of his loose man in defence skills? Mind you I thought Watts was the only player to have a crack today.

What is up with Jurrah starting on the wing? Is he really going to get in and under tackle hard,break tackles and move the ball forward for us? He is a forward 50 player and that's it. So either play him their or drop him!

I was on the fence about bailey staying or going but he has to be going. That was the most gut wrenching game to sit through as my Father in law has front row seats in the members section and to have to sit and listen to our club being laughed at all day was painful.

I just got back from Geelong and have had some time to settle down but i'm still [censored] off.

What is up with Jack watts playing loose in defence? when Bailey said "on the couch" that he will be a key forward I would assume that would mean he would play forward. Is Jack Watts the first number 1 draft pick to ever be picked because of his loose man in defence skills? Mind you I thought Watts was the only player to have a crack today.

What is up with Jurrah starting on the wing? Is he really going to get in and under tackle hard,break tackles and move the ball forward for us? He is a forward 50 player and that's it. So either play him their or drop him!

I was on the fence about bailey staying or going but he has to be going. That was the most gut wrenching game to sit through as my Father in law has front row seats in the members section and to have to sit and listen to our club being laughed at all day was painful.

Brett Deledio. :)

Where's the Vent Your Spleen thread? There's normally one when there's a lot of things to vent about but I haven't seen it...